• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

Carton

I wanna give a shout out to the app Sync.me

It updates all your contacts with pictures from Facebook. It also lets the pictures fill the phone screen when you get a call, something you normally have to individually set for each contact.

Thanks for this; it worked a treat.

Number45

It updates all your contacts with pictures from Facebook. It also lets the pictures fill the phone screen when you get a call, something you normally have to individually set for each contact.
Does this mess with your normal phone contacts, or are these contacts siloed off somehow?

mrkgoo

So I have a situation with an iPad I was hoping to get some help on.

Long story short, my girlfriend's roommate just got deported and owed rent, so he gave her his iPad to sell since he didn't have time to do it himself. Unfortunately we don't have a way of contacting him anymore and the iPad has a passcode that we don't know.
What we're trying to do is just wipe the entire thing to a factory reset state but we've had some trouble doing that since it's locked.

I tried walking my girlfriend through the process I found online (like this one: http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/a/Iphone-Recovery-Mode.htm), but apparently it didn't work for her. Basically holding down the home button, plugging in the iPad, getting a prompt saying to Restore it, and then doing that.

Is that still a method that works in iOS 8?
She was trying to do it on her really old Macbook, so I'm going to try it myself tonight on my Windows 8 tablet to see if I can't get it to work.
If that doesn't work, would the Apple store be willing to wipe it for us if the roommate isn't there to verify that he gave it to her?

Passcode or Apple ID password?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

This worked nicely, thanks for the suggestion. I've been dreading facebook syncing because of duplicates and other weird stuff, but this app gives a pretty clean result.

Apple will do public betas of 8.3 next month, iOS 9 in the summer:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/02/20/ios-9-public-beta/

While this is going to do wonders for long-term stability for yearly releases since it's essentially giving Apple a few extra months of release and feedback, I'm terrified of what this is going to do to their public perception of stability when a bunch of people who shouldn't be on Beta software decide to upgrade.

"iOS 8.3 BETA IS A PEICE OF SHITT!!! GOING BACK TO SNOW LEOPARD!"
-Every MacRumor thread

GWX

GAF, I'm going nuts with an issue with my iPhone 5s. I'm periodically getting messages from my carrier on my lock screen which won't go away until I manually dismiss them. The worst part is that my phone won't sleep while the message is there. I left my phone on my bedroom this morning with 60% battery and just now got back to it: the battery's dead. Now that I'm charging it I went to check what drained it, and the lock screen was the culprit, with 90 percent of the drain. Is there anything I can do to stop these carrier messages/prompts from appearing?

Vyer

GAF, I'm going nuts with an issue with my iPhone 5s. I'm periodically getting messages from my carrier on my lock screen which won't go away until I manually dismiss them. The worst part is that my phone won't sleep while the message is there. I left my phone on my bedroom this morning with 60% battery and just now got back to it: the battery's dead. Now that I'm charging it I went to check what drained it, and the lock screen was the culprit, with 90 percent of the drain. Is there anything I can do to stop these carrier messages/prompts from appearing?

what do the messages say?

GWX

what do the messages say?

They are always messages related to my carrier's offers and plan upgrades. I'm in Brazil, and TIM is my carrier. The carrier's service menu in Settings -> Phone doesn't give me an option to unsubscribe to such prompts. If they just went away I wouldn't be so mad, but my phone won't even lock the screen until I interact with these offers, which drives me insane.

Blablurn

I kinda wanna buy a cheap iPhone 5 because Im sick of Android but I dont have the money for the latest one. Not sure if I gonna regret it.

Vyer

They are always messages related to my carrier's offers and plan upgrades. I'm in Brazil, and TIM is my carrier. The carrier's service menu in Settings -> Phone doesn't give me an option to unsubscribe to such prompts. If they just went away I wouldn't be so mad, but my phone won't even lock the screen until I interact with these offers, which drives me insane.

That is....weird. I've never seen that before and I wasn't even aware that was possible, considering how Apple separates the phone from carriers. I guess unless it's a U.S./Brazil thing....

I kinda wanna buy a cheap iPhone 5 because Im sick of Android but I dont have the money for the latest one. Not sure if I gonna regret it.

I think as long as you are aware it is slightly older hardware at this point and adjust accordingly it's a nice way to experiment. I got a lower end Lumia to spend some time with Windows Phone and liked it fine. Just set my expectations accordingly since it was a low end phone.

Of course, related to that it wasn't long before the next update slowed performance on it considerably. Which will also happen at some point with the 5. But at least you'll know pretty well when that's happening thanks to Apple's set update schedule.

BGR is saying 8.2 will be out on Monday. Release Notes:

Health App improvements

Adds the ability to select the unit of measurement for body temperature, weight, height, distance, and blood glucose
Improves stability when dealing with large amounts of data
Includes the ability to add and visualise workout sessions from 3rd-party apps
Addresses an issue that may have prevented users from adding a photo in Medical ID
Fixes units for vitamins and minerals
Fixes an issue where Health data wouldn’t refresh after changes data source order
Fixes an issue where some graphics showed no data values
Adds a privacy setting that enables turning off tracking of steps, distance, and flights climbed

Stability Enhancements

Increases stability of Mail
Improves stability of Flyover in Maps
Improves stability of Music
Improves VoiceOver reliability
Improves connectivity with Made for iPhone Hearing Aids

Bug Fixes

Fixes an issue in Maps that prevented navigating to some favorite locations
Addresses an issue where the last word in a quick reply message wasn’t autocorrected
Fixes an issue where duplicate iTunes purchased content could prevent iCloud restore from completing
Resolves an issue where some music or playlists didn’t sync from iTunes to the Music app
Fixes an issue where deleted audiobooks sometimes remained on the device
Resolves an issue that could prevent call audio from routing to car speakers while using Siri Eyes Free
Fixes a Bluetooth calling issue where no audio is heard until the call is answered
Fixes a timezone issue where Calendar events appear in GMT
Addresses an issue that caused certain events in a custom reoccurring meeting to drop from Exchange calendar
Fixes an certificate error that prevented configuring an Exchange account behind a third-party gateway
Fixes an issue that could cause an organizer’s Exchange meeting notes to be overwritten
Resolves an issue that prevented some Calendar events from automatically showing as “busy” after accepting an invite.

I'm having an incredibly weird issue with my 5s: the blue screen of death. The problem is so bad that my computer won't even let me restore my iPhone from recovery mode. Am I fucked?

Any last suggestions before I take this thing to the Apple Store?

FerranMG

I'm having an incredibly weird issue with my 5s: the blue screen of death. The problem is so bad that my computer won't even let me restore my iPhone from recovery mode. Am I fucked?

Any last suggestions before I take this thing to the Apple Store?

Try another computer?
Have you performed a hard reset on the iPhone (hold power and home button for a while)?

An-Det

When adding web pages to the Reading List in Safari, is there a way to postpone it syncing with the cloud, maybe have it start the sync 30 seconds later or something? Whenever I surf gaf on my phone I typically scroll down the forum and add things to the reading list, and then start going through them, but it starts syncing immediately which is super annoying.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
BGR is saying 8.2 will be out on Monday. Release Notes:

They should add an option to the health app to let you view previous days/months etc. When tracking steps for example you can only see the figures for the current day/month/year and have to guess at whatever you did previously. It's all well and good having a little graph there but you can't do much analysis and there's no way i'm trawling through the individually recorded steps in the data items.

It's just going to be so nice to have a focus on extending the abilities of Siri in general. I love Siri, but increasing its abilities beyond a few neat things hasn't seemed to receive focus since iOS 5.

Yeah, though I don't necessarily expect to see a Siri API anytime soon. I recognize how it'd be useful in theory, but it's one of those things where Apple probably doesn't wanna give Siri the chance to do bizarrely wrong stuff through opening it up to whatever third-party results (not to mention dealing with third parties actively competing for relevance on any given query - Yelp and OpenTable and Seamless are all gonna want to answer the same question about where to get pizza, for example).

Uggggh, though, just imagine how great Siri integration with Workflow would be.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, though I don't necessarily expect to see a Siri API anytime soon. I recognize how it'd be useful in theory, but it's one of those things where Apple probably doesn't wanna give Siri the chance to do bizarrely wrong stuff through opening it up to whatever third-party results (not to mention dealing with third parties actively competing for relevance on any given query - Yelp and OpenTable and Seamless are all gonna want to answer the same question about where to get pizza, for example).

Uggggh, though, just imagine how great Siri integration with Workflow would be.
The competing would be solvable with two things. One, an option in Settings under each app to enable or disable Siri and have Siri ask which service to use when more than one is enabled. If you have a preferred service, turn the others off and it's good.

But yeah, if it doesn't have the right restrictions it won't happen. Maybe Apple can figure out something. Siri with an API in iOS and integration in OS X with API support would do so much awesomeness to the technology. I really wish Apple would see that too and figure something out.

Running 8.3 b1 on my iPhone and iPad and I notice no difference at all from 8.2 so far... What am I looking for if anything???

I set it up on my iPhone last night, will do my iPad later this weekend. Only thing I noticed so far is the emoji keyboard is different, and to me things are a bit smoother and apps load a bit faster.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't have the beta installed, but Siri is supposed to have new languages on 8.3 too (including Brazilian Portuguese, fucking finally).

Running 8.3 b1 on my iPhone and iPad and I notice no difference at all from 8.2 so far... What am I looking for if anything???

tweaked keyboard:

B__hiN0UwAAOft7.png

Giggzy

Anyone having issues after updating to 8.2? I'm on T-Mobile if it matters. My text messaging is screwing up and constantly crashing. I'm getting things like this when receiving a text:

Any idea?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Finally updated to 8.2

The alarm app still resets the dial positions when you change screen orientation. :|

*throws phone out the window*

Furyous

Anyone with an iPhone 5 updating to 8.2? What are your impressions thus far?

My i5 is holding strong in hopes that it lasts until August when the iPhone 6S comes out. All I need is 1080p and 2 GB of RAM. Apple has to open up iOS more in iOS 9.

mrkgoo

Anyone with an iPhone 5 updating to 8.2? What are your impressions thus far?

My i5 is holding strong in hopes that it lasts until August when the iPhone 6S comes out. All I need is 1080p and 2 GB of RAM. Apple has to open up iOS more in iOS 9.

I have one. Seems fine. Same as always. The only thing i really notice is that I get lags on the keyboard on ios 8.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
8.2 has fixed (seemingly) the whole annoyance with "Other" taking up a lot of space... by marking most of it correctly as "Documents". When I sync, I'll notice a small bit of Other appear, then it properly gets cleaned up. I think they might have gotten it right now.

But what I don't get is that I have Photos set to optimize space and not download all my photos but it's still taking 2GB+. I don't get it. Wouldn't it just download thumbnails and grab the original when I go to access it? Or is it thinking all of my photos are important and therefore need to be synced? Because they're not. At all. I want them off my device. If I want a photo, I'll access it. Weird.

Anyone using Chrome? It's been running really well on my 5c. I've been using it almost exclusively now. The new material design looks fantastic. Only problem I have is with sites where I need to log in with my Facebook. It tells me to use Safari because because Chrome for iOS isn't supported. =(

jts

...hate me...
Anyone using Chrome? It's been running really well on my 5c. I've been using it almost exclusively now. The new material design looks fantastic. Only problem I have is with sites where I need to log in with my Facebook. It tells me to use Safari because because Chrome for iOS isn't supported. =(
I've been using Chrome since last week, because 8.2 literally broke Safari for me.

Anyway it has been smooth enough, especially now that I've learned that you can even access and copy the iCloud keychain passwords from Safari settings.

I've been using Chrome since last week, because 8.2 literally broke Safari for me.

Anyway it has been smooth enough, especially now that I've learned that you can even access and copy the iCloud keychain passwords from Safari settings.

Yeah Safari was so messed up for me, it pushed me to give Chrome another shot. I can also access LastPass through it as well. That makes a huge difference.

mrkgoo

8.2 has fixed (seemingly) the whole annoyance with "Other" taking up a lot of space... by marking most of it correctly as "Documents". When I sync, I'll notice a small bit of Other appear, then it properly gets cleaned up. I think they might have gotten it right now.

But what I don't get is that I have Photos set to optimize space and not download all my photos but it's still taking 2GB+. I don't get it. Wouldn't it just download thumbnails and grab the original when I go to access it? Or is it thinking all of my photos are important and therefore need to be synced? Because they're not. At all. I want them off my device. If I want a photo, I'll access it. Weird.

It's possible that if it already has the thumbnails it keeps them. In my experience, where ever apple updates new features, it doesn't retroactively go back and change what is already there fully. There's always residuals from upgrades.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's possible that if it already has the thumbnails it keeps them. In my experience, where ever apple updates new features, it doesn't retroactively go back and change what is already there fully. There's always residuals from upgrades.
I removed the photos completely before upgrading to Photos. I'm pretty sure.

Top Bottom