• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 8 |OT| Huge for developers. Massive for everyone else.

mrkgoo

I removed the photos completely before upgrading to Photos. I'm pretty sure.

Yeah that's a different story. 2GB seems large how many photos? I have like 1500 images synced from aperture and that's only like 1Gb (they're half res, 8 quality previews presumably though)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah that's a different story. 2GB seems large how many photos? I have like 1500 images synced from aperture and that's only like 1Gb (they're half res, 8 quality previews presumably though)
2GB is the size of my library as a whole. It's downloading all the full resolution images even though I have it set to optimize.

Futureman

Whether I'm using Safari or Chrome on my MacBook Pro, the Handoff icon on my iPhone shows the Safari icon. Is this because Apple hasn't opened up the Handoff API or whatever?

Red

This may be a little off topic but I'm not sure where else to ask... You guys heard any rumors about a 2015 5K iMac refresh? I'd like one but wanted to wait for a better GPU.

mrkgoo

This may be a little off topic but I'm not sure where else to ask... You guys heard any rumors about a 2015 5K iMac refresh? I'd like one but wanted to wait for a better GPU.
It was only released like 5 months ago. All the other iMacs (bar the introduction of the 2014 entry level 21.5") haven't been refreshed since 2013.

mrkgoo

2GB is the size of my library as a whole. It's downloading all the full resolution images even though I have it set to optimize.

Maybe the full-Res is what is considered optimised for your device given the original res of the file, your device res etc. I wonder if the algorithm takes into account the device storage capacity or it changes depending on how much space you have free.

I've probably reached a point where I'm just "old-fashioned", but it's one of those things that I just don't trust the cloud to do properly. I love macs in how they're largely hands off for a lot of colouring because I don't like having to manage things on my own, but there's a line for me, and when it comes to photos that line is a lot earlier. Frankly, I like to have some modicum of control over what is going on with my photos or at least the transparency to know exactly what is happening.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Maybe the full-Res is what is considered optimised for your device given the original res of the file, your device res etc. I wonder if the algorithm takes into account the device storage capacity or it changes depending on how much space you have free.
I have 575MB left. The library isn't getting smaller. It's storing the whole thing.

mrkgoo

I have 575MB left. The library isn't getting smaller. It's storing the whole thing.

Tiny space left.

I'm not saying it isn't. I totally believe what you say, just conjecturing why. That is either it's NOT doing what it says or it is, and it's just not what you expect. Not sure if they've ever published exactly what they consider "optimised" for what criteria.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Tiny space left.

I'm not saying it isn't. I totally believe what you say, just conjecturing why. That is either it's NOT doing what it says or it is, and it's just not what you expect. Not sure if they've ever published exactly what they consider "optimised" for what criteria.
Then they should mark caches like that as a special "not really used space but will take up space until you need it" color in the usage graph. I just removed some music to free up some space. I can't stand being claustrophobic with device storage.

mrkgoo

Then they should mark caches like that as a special "not really used space but will take up space until you need it" color in the usage graph. I just removed some music to free up some space. I can't stand being claustrophobic with device storage.

Oh for sure. But you know apple.

I still have no real idea what they do to optimise images for iCloud photo library. Apple have never been one to be that transparent. And their usage coloured bars are only a vague approximation to me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh for sure. But you know apple.

I still have no real idea what they do to optimise images for iCloud photo library. Apple have never been one to be that transparent. And their usage coloured bars are only a vague approximation to me.
I guarantee you if I tried to fill up the space that those photos include with music, it would complain that I had no space left.

God, I wish I could just get a 64GB 6+ already and not even have to worry. 16GB is brutal. But at least it's not as much a pain in the ass as it was when I had my Android phone and was constantly uninstalling apps to install others because none of them were allowed to install on the SD card. (And I'm pretty sure the phone had like 512MB built-in if not 1GB.)

mrkgoo

I guarantee you if I tried to fill up the space that those photos include with music, it would complain that I had no space left.

God, I wish I could just get a 64GB 6+ already and not even have to worry. 16GB is brutal. But at least it's not as much a pain in the ass as it was when I had my Android phone and was constantly uninstalling apps to install others because none of them were allowed to install on the SD card. (And I'm pretty sure the phone had like 512MB built-in if not 1GB.)

Not sure what you're trying to say here. I understand your plight. Storage space is so tight these days. 8GB is absolutely a joke even for people who say they intend it just to be a phone - it's those people who won't know how to manage their storage. 16GB should be the base for non users.

32 GB should be otherwise base standard for the average user who will actually take photos and use apps.

I'm glad I've got a 64GB iPhone 5. Of course I use it at its limit (I prefer to keep around 4GB free), but I have a mental priority list of apps and other usage that I can clear should I get more of some media or app.

Can anyone help me figure out why iMessage/Facetime won't activate on my old phone? My 5S recently shit itself, so I'm trying to move everything over to my 4S. I have to wait a bit to get the actual number transferred over, but shouldn't iMessage work in the meantime? Surely I don't need to activate my phone to make this work? My computer tells me that the phone is set up for iMessage, but my phone's settings are stuck on "waiting for activation." I've tried turning it all off and restarting, which did nothing.

mrkgoo

Can anyone help me figure out why iMessage/Facetime won't activate on my old phone? My 5S recently shit itself, so I'm trying to move everything over to my 4S. I have to wait a bit to get the actual number transferred over, but shouldn't iMessage work in the meantime? Surely I don't need to activate my phone to make this work? My computer tells me that the phone is set up for iMessage, but my phone's settings are stuck on "waiting for activation." I've tried turning it all off and restarting, which did nothing.

iMessage on a phone requires your phone number to work. As it ties your phone number to your Apple ID, it will confirm your phone number with apple by sending an SMS to Apple.

Sometimes, however, the system can get stuck waiting. Usually you have to give it a day and keep trying.

Blackhead

Redarse
Windows Phone (A guide for iPhone users)
Matt Gemmell said:
As an iPhone user, you probably have little interest in the other mobile platforms - but they do exist.

I take my iPhone everywhere I go, and for the most part, it’s a satisfying device to use. There are some rough edges, though. There aren’t many ways to customise iOS to your individual tastes, for example, and the hardware is extremely expensive. I’ve been experiencing a growing restlessness with it lately. I find that in some ways it lacks character - and indeed a boldness of aesthetic. It’s a little (dare I say it) boring.

Some of that feeling is just because of familiarity; I’ve never used a non-Apple smartphone for more than a few minutes. There are other options out there, and I decided to explore some of them. In this article, I’m going to talk about Microsoft’s Windows Phone...

As a long-time iPhone user, I was surprised to find that the only thing I really missed from my iPhone was a feature I’d barely thought about: iMessage. Everyone I know is a blue-bubble friend - though admittedly my social circle is artificially tech-savvy and Mac-centric.

There are other options for that, certainly: WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger being the primary ones. I was just amused that a text-messaging app was almost a deal-breaker for me, given everything else that these devices do...

Maybe I’m just used to iOS, rather than bored with it. Maybe I don’t need the customisation and personalisation of my Live Tiles. Maybe Apple will finally do something with the stale, static Home screen in iOS 9. I’ll certainly be watching, and I’m not throwing my iPhone away.

What I’ve learned, though, is that there are absolutely other viable options - including one from Microsoft. It’s not corporate, or jargon-filled, or business-centric. It’s not cluelessly enterprise-focused, to the exclusion of regular users.

What it is, though, is a boldly different yet mature and capable mobile platform, with an aesthetic that I find exciting, and an obsessive dedication to presenting information cleanly to the user...

Deku Tree

Beta Seed question: If I am running the beta seed should I still sync my phone to my main computer... or should I save my backup of the not in beta iOS instead of overwriting it with my beta version of iOS?

Deku Tree

Oh I just downloaded the latest beta seed beta for 8.3 and I believe it is the second beta that added the diversified emoji...

...but I don't know how to access the non-yellow emoji... does anyone know how I change the skin tone of the emoji in 8.3 beta 2?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh I just downloaded the latest beta seed beta for 8.3 and I believe it is the second beta that added the diversified emoji...

...but I don't know how to access the non-yellow emoji... does anyone know how I change the skin tone of the emoji in 8.3 beta 2?

Holding on the emoji in question? I'm just guessing with the way special letters on the regular keyboard works.

Majine

Banned
Why does iOS Mail not have group mail? In Mail on OSX I can just enter the name of a group in the "To:" field, and boom it automatically pulls in all those people and I can instantly send one mail to them. Doesn't work on iOS.

Just why? Jesus.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is it just me or does 8.2 have weird issues with the url/search bar in Safari taking a while to start up? Super fucking annoying.

I've only noticed this happening in the past couple days, but now it feels like every single time. And it's happening on my iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, and iPad Mini 2 alike.

Futureman

can I not pay for text messaging and just use iMessage?

I currently use Google Voice and it's getting annoying w/ group messages. My friends will send messages in a group chat and I just get individual messages from each person and can't reply to the group. This is all to my "Google phone number."

I've messed around w/ my real Verizon number a few times using iMessage and it seems to just work. Is there any reason not to just give my friends my real phone number and use iMessage for texts?

mrkgoo

can I not pay for text messaging and just use iMessage?

I currently use Google Voice and it's getting annoying w/ group messages. My friends will send messages in a group chat and I just get individual messages from each person and can't reply to the group. This is all to my "Google phone number."

I've messed around w/ my real Verizon number a few times using iMessage and it seems to just work. Is there any reason not to just give my friends my real phone number and use iMessage for texts?

I don't see why not. I mean iPod touches and iPads without cellular connections don't even have sms texting plans and they can use iMessage.

The only thing is, an sms is required to be sent to activate iMessage with a phone number. I do wonder if you could just activate your number then disable your plan. Not sure if iMessage eventually figures out your number isn't active and removes it. Probably not.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not sure if iMessage eventually figures out your number isn't active and removes it. Probably not.

Wasn't this an issue that got Apple sued or something? When people were moving from iOS to Android Apple kept trying to direct messages to them through iMessage and so people couldn't get messages anymore.

Fjolle

Wasn't this an issue that got Apple sued or something? When people were moving from iOS to Android Apple kept trying to direct messages to them through iMessage and so people couldn't get messages anymore.

Well. Yea.. The issue was that you couldn't really disable iMessage when you got rid of your device, so you wouldn't get any messages on an Android device..

Now they've made a webpage where you can disable it, but i don't think apple will disable anything unless you ask them for it.

Futureman

anyone using Google Calendar?

I downloaded it yesterday. Is there a way to add an event in a web browser on my laptop and have it give me a notification on my phone? I set the event in the browser to notify me the day before at 10 PM and never got a notification on my iPhone.

The public release of 8.3 is out. Downloaded fine on my iPad, but it errors out trying to download to my iPhone (which was in the beta). I wonder if there is something about being in the beta is that causing the error, or if their servers are just getting hammered?

Deku Tree

The public release of 8.3 is out. Downloaded fine on my iPad, but it errors out trying to download to my iPhone (which was in the beta). I wonder if there is something about being in the beta is that causing the error, or if their servers are just getting hammered?

I get that error too since I was also in the beta.

Vyer

Some of the changelog:

Improved performance for:
- App launch
- App responsiveness
- Control Center
- Safari tabs
- 3rd-party keyboards
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Simplified Chinese keyboard

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth fixes
- Fixes an issue where you could be continuously prompted for login credentials
- Addresses an issue where some devices disconnect intermittently from Wi-Fi networks
- Fixes an issue where hands-free phone calls could become disconnected
- Fixes an issue where audio playback could stop working with some bluetooth speakers

Orientation and rotation fixes
- Addresses an issue that sometimes prevented rotating back to portrait after having rotated to landscape
- Improves performance and stability issues that occurred when rotating the device between portrait and landscape
- Fixes an issue where device orientation appeared upside down after pulling the iPhone 6 Plus from your pocket
- Resolves an issue that sometimes prevented apps from rotating to correct orientation after switching apps in multitasking

Messages fixes
- Addresses issues that caused group messages to sometimes split
- Fixes an issue that sometimes removed the ability to forward or delete individual messages
- Resolves an issue that sometimes prevented a preview from appearing when taking a photo in Messages
- Adds the ability to report junk messages directly from the Messages app
- Adds the ability to filter out iMessages that are not sent by your contacts

Family Sharing fixes
- Fixes a bug where certain apps would not launch or update on family members' devices
- Fixes a bug that prevented family members from downloading certain free apps
- Increased reliability for Ask to Buy notifications

CarPlay fixes
- Fixes an issue where Maps could come up as a black screen
- Fixes an issue where the UI could be incorrectly rotated
- Fixes an issue where the keyboard could appear on the CarPlay screen when it shouldn't

Enterprise fixes
- Improves reliability of installing and updating enterprise apps
- Corrects the time zone of Calendar events created in IBM Notes
- Fixes a problem that could cause web clip icons to become generic after restarting
- Improves reliability of saving the password for a web proxy
- Exchange out-of-office message can now be edited separately for external replies
- Improves recovery of Exchange accounts from temporary connection problems
- Improves compatibility of VPN and web proxy solutions
- Allows use of physical keyboards to log into Safari web sheets, such as for joining a public Wi-Fi network
- Fixes an issue that caused Exchange meetings with long notes to be truncated

Accessibility fixes
- Fixes an issue where using the back button in Safari causes VoiceOver gestures to not respond
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver focus becomes unreliable in draft Mail messages
- Fixes an issue where Braille Screen Input cannot be used to type text in forms on webpages
- Fixes an issue where toggling Quick Nav on a Braille Display announces that Quick Nav is off
- Fixes an issue keeping app icons from being moveable on home screen when VoiceOver is enabled
- Fixes an issue in Speak Screen where speech will not start again after pausing

Other improvements and bug fixes
- Introduces a redesigned Emoji keyboard with over 300 new characters
- iCloud Photo Library has been optimized to work with the new Photos app on OS X 10.10.3 and is now out of beta
- Improves the pronunciation of street names during turn-by-turn navigation in Maps
- Includes support for Baum VarioUltra 20 and VarioUltra 40 braille displays
- Improves the display of Spotlight results when Reduce Transparency is turned on
- Adds Italic and Underline format options for iPhone 6 Plus landscape keyboard
- Adds the ability to remove shipping and billing addresses used with Apple Pay
- Additional language and country support for Siri: English (India, New Zealand), Danish (Denmark), Dutch (Netherlands), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian (Russia), Swedish (Sweden), Thai (Thailand), Turkish (Turkey)
- Additional dictation languages: Arabic (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates) and Hebrew (Israel)
- Improves stability for Phone, Mail, Bluetooth connectivity, Photos, Safari tabs, Settings, Weather and Genius Playlists in Music
- Addresses an issue where Slide to Unlock could fail to work on certain devices
- Addresses an issue that sometimes prevented swiping to answer a phone call on the Lock screen
- Addresses an issue that prevented opening links in Safari PDFs
- Fixes an issue where selecting Clear History and Website Data in Safari Settings did not clear all data
- Fixes an issue that prevented autocorrecting "FYI"
- Addresses an issue where contextual predictions did not appear in Quick Reply
- Fixes an issue where Maps did not enter night mode from hybrid mode
- Resolves an issue that prevented initiating FaceTime calls from a browser or 3rd-party app using FaceTime URLs
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented photos from properly exporting to Digital Camera Image folders on Windows
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented an iPad backup from completing with iTunes
- Fixes an issue that could cause Podcast downloads to stall when switching from Wi-Fi to cellular networks
- Fixes an issue where remaining time on timer would sometimes incorrectly display as 00:00 on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented adjusting call volume
- Fixes an issue that caused the status bar to sometimes appear when it shouldn't

Other changes, per Macrumors;

One of smaller but most notable UI changes includes an update to the space bar, which has been elongated to prevent users from hitting the period key in Safari when attempting to make a space. It's also now possible to turn on a setting to allow you to download free apps without the need to enter your password. We have a full list of the changes in iOS 8.3 in our iOS 8 Features Roundup.

Other iOS 8.3 changes include wireless CarPlay, letting users connect their iPhones to their CarPlay systems sans Lightning cable, support for Google two-factor authentication that makes it possible to add Google accounts without the need for app specific passwords, and Apple Pay support for the China UnionPay network.

There are also minor changes to Passbook (dividing Apple Pay and Passes) and the Photos app (icon overlays for albums). Siri has gained new languages plus the ability to make calls using the iPhone's speakerphone, and in Messages, there's now an option to enable filtering to separate iMessages from friends from iMessages from Unknown Senders.

Did they finally fix the YouTube embed "portrait to landscape" stutter? That plus a longer spacebar addresses my glaring (ish) issues.

Is it just me or does 8.2 have weird issues with the url/search bar in Safari taking a while to start up? Super fucking annoying.

I can confirm that this is still happening in iOS 8.3.

Turning off iCloud sync for Safari data doesn't fix it. Nor does turning off search engine suggestions or Spotlight suggestions. Totally awful.

GWX

Turning off iCloud sync for Safari data doesn't fix it. Nor does turning off search engine suggestions or Spotlight suggestions. Totally awful.

I can confirm it as well. Happened the first time I used Safari on both my iPhone 5s and iPad 4th gen. Just terrible. Thank God for Mercury browser!

Yeah, I'm still noticing it here. It's getting increasingly annoying.

Oh, but iOS 8.3 has NEW EMOJI. Apple's priorities, huh?

Majine

Banned
Still Safari freezes in final release of 8.3, that's disappointing.

And yes, I did send in feedback to them about it so I've done my part.

sarcastor

but when are they fixing Apple Maps? cause Apple thinks 20 Natoma is on Minna ave.

faB8Cx3.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Unbelievable that Safari is still unusable for me and others, and I'm forced to use Chrome.

Which wouldn't be so bad if we could at least change the default browser. This is just insanity.

Top Bottom