• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Kindekuma

Banned
The new Music app is pretty good. And you can't fight change. You'll have to upgrade eventually. What don't you like about it?

I really like the older design to it, it was so much easier to navigate all my songs and shuffle artists and my entire collection. Then apparently in 8.4 they made it far more complicated than it needed to be.

Guess Who

Banned
The iOS <=6 Music app was so much better than anything in 7+ as far as layout and navigation. God what I would give to have it back.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really like the older design to it, it was so much easier to navigate all my songs and shuffle artists and my entire collection. Then apparently in 8.4 they made it far more complicated than it needed to be.
They made it better. Now Playing is nicer and sticks across the whole UI and it has Up Next.

It has its problems though. But I like it.

Rbk_3

How do you change the mute button on the side to lock the orientation to portrait/landscape? I thought that was supposed to be one of the features.

Putosaure

I like the update so far. Music app is slighty sluggish when I scroll really fast in the music list but I won the "Shuffle all" option so I guess it's okay :/

JDeluis

How do you change the mute button on the side to lock the orientation to portrait/landscape? I thought that was supposed to be one of the features.

I think the rotation lock option for iPhone only appeared in the first beta, and it was super bugged on iPhone. If I had to guess it was probably a bug or oversight that it ever appeared at all, since that's always been an iPad-only option.

Rated-G

Has anyone had issues connecting their device to iTunes? I just added the Tearaway Unfolded soundtrack that came with the PS4 game to my iTunes Library. I'm running Windows 10, and I have my iPhone 6 on iOS 9. I just updated iTunes to the latest release, and my phone isn't showing up on the device list. I grabbed the lightning cable and connected my phone to the computer via USB. The phone started charging, Windows did it's little device connected jingle and gave me the pop up that says to click to decide what to do when the Apple iPhone is connected. Clicking it does nothing. On the phone I got a pop up asking if I want to allow the connected device to access photos and videos, I selected allow.

After all that, the phone doesn't show up in my device list on iTunes still.

On a side note, man I miss having a Mac, everything worked so well together. Every time I have to connect a device to a PC it ends up being a several hour ordeal.

EDIT: Turns out it's a straight up Windows 10 issue. Apparently as of this time, Windows 10 does not automatically install the drivers that come with iTunes. If any of you are having this same issue, follow this easy guide.

Actually, now I'm very confused on the Battery widget because I still have 70% on my headphones after 3 hours of use while my phone's battery percentage dipped by almost half. Maybe the refresh rate for the bluetooth headphones/battery percentage is not frequent? Still, it's been 3 hours....

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Whelp. This sucks.

In attempting to update, I appear to have bricked my phone. Locked up halfway through the update. Now won't update or even restore to factory settings.

:(

Garou

Whelp. This sucks.

In attempting to update, I appear to have bricked my phone. Locked up halfway through the update. Now won't update or even restore to factory settings.

:(

Restart in DFU-mode, restore through iTunes and then restore your local or iCloud-backup.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Restart in DFU-mode, restore through iTunes and then restore your local or iCloud-backup.

Managed to get it going after a combination of powering my phone on and off a couple of times and rebooting my laptop. Eventually it "caught" and my phone updated.

Phew.

Neodyn

Feel like an idiot, because I must be missing something obvious. How do you fullscreen a video in the podcasts app on iPad?

Enco

I'm using Crystal + 1Blocker

Good combo because 1B Lets you block 1 group for free so now I have ads and trackers blocked.

So beautiful.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm trying out purify because it seems to have a simple way to whitelist sites, but I just white listed mobile GAF and I'm not seeing any ads?

Edit:they are appearing now. Guess it just takes a few refreshes.

funkypie

Banned
Is this normal? From full charge going to 72% battery for around 30 mins of web browsing on chrome. Using iPhone 6 on ios9

ImEbJam.jpg

Android has had ad blocking since it's inception lmao

RC

Banned
Crystal's fantastic. Pages in Safari load so much faster now.
Still a little iffy on the new system font though. A little too rounded for my tastes.

Guess Who

Banned
San Francisco works better on the Mac than on iOS, I think. That said I think the OS X UI redesign was done much better than iOS's all around.

undu

Do they work in the same manner as iOS 9's content blocking? This article makes a compelling case for why it is better than conventional ad blockers:
http://blog.appgrounds.com/content-blockers-beat-adblocking/

Adblock plus is one of the worst ad blockers there is, it's not what new adblockers should measure against in terms of performance:

chrome_ad_blocker_combined_scores.png

ublock has much less overhead on the cpu (battery consumption), as well as memory consumption, and even loads pages faster with the same filters.

In general though, it's true, it better to block requests beforehand, I use adAway on android, which blocks network requests on the OS level.

Fliesen

I'm using Crystal + 1Blocker

Good combo because 1B Lets you block 1 group for free so now I have ads and trackers blocked.

So beautiful.

I'm trying out purify because it seems to have a simple way to whitelist sites, but I just white listed mobile GAF and I'm not seeing any ads?

Edit:they are appearing now. Guess it just takes a few refreshes.

i'm using marco arment's "Peace" as it'll also remove social sharing buttons and has the option to hide comment sections altogether. Also has a whitelist option.

Mine is the same. Anyone got these to update in both Total Storage and their Storage plan?

that's how it looks on my Mac.

I had "... out of 20gb used" yesterday, when account management already said, &#8364; 0.99 would get me 50gigs.
This morning, i was on "... of 50gb"

Imperial

Upgraded to IOS 9 on my iPad, but I can no longer update my apps, the all the 'update' buttons have been replaced with 'open'

FerranMG

Regarding content blockers, it's funny that if you want to whitelist a site in order to give them the ad revenue, you have to choose a paid app.
So, basically, I need to pay to give money to Neogaf.
I guess this is how Neogaf gold starts. :p

Blastoise

Banned
Jesus. How Marco managed to code his app to 600KB is insane. Dude truely is a great dev.

I'm happy with Crystal on my iPhone. Because I mainly use Chrome to browse. However Safari is insanely faster with content blocking.

Vamp

iOS9 on iPhone 5 is amazing. I've notice the overall performance is better and best of it all, music app is much better now. Before I would get lag while playing music now everything is smooth. To bad I can not install adblocker, I hope they make one for 32bit phones.

Ambitious

Apparently, Peace only hides ads, but not the space they occupy. Well, at least on some pages. This sucks. Crystal, on the other hand, removes the empty space too, but still not on all pages.

This article is a good example. With Peace, the ad after the opening paragraph is blocked, but the "Anzeige" ("ad") label remains. With Crystal, that label is removed too, but the white space remains. On my Mac, using Adblock, even the white space is removed.

Link1110

Got it today mainly for low power mode. First order of business was turning off the shift key thing cause it sounds like the letters changing would be distracting (just like predictive with ios8 was and that didn't survive a single day either)

I don't like the new screen that shows up if I hit the home button twice. Everything is too big and I can only see one app on it at a time. Can I change that somehow?

FerranMG

I don't like the new screen that shows up if I hit the home button twice. Everything is too big and I can only see one app on it at a time. Can I change that somehow?

Nope.
I agree it's difficult to understand why Apple an overhaul of the app switcher was needed. But I got used to it quite quickly, TBH.

Ninja Dom

Got it today mainly for low power mode. First order of business was turning off the shift key thing cause it sounds like the letters changing would be distracting (just like predictive with ios8 was and that didn't survive a single day either)

Yeah, and it scrolls from left to right instead of right to left.

Fliesen

Nope.
I agree it's difficult to understand why Apple an overhaul of the app switcher was needed. But I got used to it quite quickly, TBH.

well, it's designed to make sense alongside the new 3D touch "swipe in from the left side" on the iPhone 6S"

double tap the home key and imagine having just "force swiped" in from the left edge of the screen. The animation / the design does make sense.

i don't mind my contacts not being there anymore. That feature felt awkwardly redundant.

Yeah, and it scrolls from left to right instead of right to left.

ever since phone's got bigger, i do believe the main "phone hand" has become the left hand, as you'll often need your right hand as a "stylus" - especially on the 6+ / 6S+
the app "carousel" makes sense to me, i think it's much easier to force quit apps with one hand now.
also, "new" apps come in from the right (like, when you open the app store from within a safari link).

Left, in general, is the "back" / "previous" direction. I think the way it was handled before was actually off.

Oh, also, i've started using "Ghostery" instead of adblock on desktop safari right now. It's a very clean experience and blocking / whitelisting individual features / trackers on a site-by-site basis is really nifty. Like only having social share buttons on sites you actually share articles from, etc.

Top Bottom