• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Crystal seems awesome so far and yeah wow what a difference in speed but i'll look into these other options
How does battery life seem for you guys? Im on my 5s and i know the battery isnt as good anymore but still seems rather fast to drain.
And has anyone tested the low battery mode yet?

Tabris

So what's the downside of changing my region from Canada to United States for the news app outside my date format being wrong and other misc regional differences? It doesn't effect things like the store because that has it's own country settings?

Word and Excel opened side by side is just as nice as I expected but holy shit is that multi-tasking app selector fucking garbage. Scrolling through your entire list of multi-tasking capable apps is quite possibly the worst way for this to work. There's not even a search bar as far as I can tell.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So has Apple implemented Refresh gesture to their Safari ? Like, sliding all the way up like all the other apps should refresh the page...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah looks like no hardware rotation lock on the final release?! :/

New font is neat.

RowdyReverb

Holy crap, the page load speed with content blocking is incredible. Wish Crystal had a white list though so I could support some websites (like this one) that don't have terribly intrusive ads.

So if you have bluetooth devices that display battery life info, the battery widget will give you an exact percentage rather than having to guess from the teeny tiny meter next to the bluetooth icon on the status bar.

So if you have bluetooth devices that display battery life info, the battery widget will give you an exact percentage rather than having to guess from the teeny tiny meter next to the bluetooth icon on the status bar.

oh wow, for some reason i thought my ipad didnt keep track the battery life properly , but it does

CraigMcD

Siri still searches Apple Music before your local library. SIGH. Is there any way to disable this? Even if I log out of Apple Music it still tries to play from there.

At least there's a shuffle all from an artist option again.

I read somewhere that you have to add "from My Music" to the end of the command for Siri to play from your library.

No more chime sound when you activate Siri? Or is there an option to turn it on?

Still on mine

Edit: Oh, the sound is iPad only? How weird

I read somewhere that you have to add "from My Music" to the end of the command for Siri to play from your library.

Yep. If you say "shuffle songs from Lana Del Rey" for example, it'll default to all her songs on Apple Music. If you say "shuffle songs from Lana Del Rey from My Music" it'll only shuffle what you have saved in your library

So what is the best ad blocker to download? And are any free?

Crystal is free for the moment

I used it and liked it, but this thread convinced me to get Peace. $3, and has a few really useful features that Crystal doesn't.

Just discovered: you can finally turn off that damn "shake to undo" thing

Also, the new cut/copy/paste shortcuts on iPad are fantastic, and the keyboard trackpad only helps

Absolutely solid update for iPads this year

So has Apple implemented Refresh gesture to their Safari ? Like, sliding all the way up like all the other apps should refresh the page...

Nope, but not sure why you would want to do it that way. Webpages can be so long, that's not really a practical way of refreshing. Way easier to scroll up an inch and just press the refresh button in the address bar.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No more chime sound when you activate Siri? Or is there an option to turn it on?
Nope. Only on the iPad. It sucks. It's just the vibration now. I hate it because I need that audible feedback to know when to talk. Also, now if I ask Siri something while around people, they think I'm talking to them. Fuck. Bring the stupid tone back.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Also the Siri vibrator is silent in ios9 when your phone is on silent where the siri chime never was.

This is whack.

Is there a list or site somewhere that details what features in iOS 9 are available on what devices?

Like Split View is only on iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro, Keyboard Trackpad is only on iPhone 6S and 6S Plus, etc.

I have a 6 Plus and an iPad Mini but I honestly have no idea what features they've shown off I can actually use on either of them. This is probably the most fractures iOS release there's been, right?

Nope. Only on the iPad. It sucks. It's just the vibration now. I hate it because I need that audible feedback to know when to talk. Also, now if I ask Siri something while around people, they think I'm talking to them. Fuck. Bring the stupid tone back.

The beeps don't pop up when the screen was already active. If the screen is off and you say "hey Siri" it'll ding. Also dings if you have headphones plugged in or connected on bluetooth

Ha. For real. Jesus christ.
Any word on hardware rotation lock? Not appearing in settings>general on my 6+.

Keyboard trackpad is on iPad currently, coming to 6S and 6S Plus because of the 3D Touch

Also I can't find that setting either :( I don't think it made it into general release?

Struct09

This has been the most crashtastic iOS update for me. It seems to have a problem with my bluetooth headphones, everything was working fine this morning before I upgraded to iOS9.

EDIT: And now it crashed even when Bluetooth was disabled. Not sure what's going on :-/

Well, iOS9 has brought out the worst in my phone. It's now literally crashing every 5 minutes or so. I even did a full wipe and am trying to restore, but it won't stay stable long enough to finish a restore. Guess I'll be calling Apple tomorrow.

Just installed Crystal. Shit, sites are loading a lot faster on my 6 now.

Now the debate of updating my iPad Mini 1 to iOS 9 and seeing if any content blockers work on that.

EDIT: I see the post above me confirms it won't work then.

Just installed Crystal. Shit, sites are loading a lot faster on my 6 now.

Now the debate of updating my iPad Mini 1 to iOS 9 and seeing if any content blockers work on that.

EDIT: I see the post above me confirms it won't work then.

wont work with mini 1, it its 32bit iirc

edit:didnt see the edit

Guess Who

Banned
Ha. For real. Jesus christ.
Any word on hardware rotation lock? Not appearing in settings>general on my 6+.

I think the rotation lock option for iPhone only appeared in the first beta, and it was super bugged on iPhone. If I had to guess it was probably a bug or oversight that it ever appeared at all, since that's always been an iPad-only option.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think the rotation lock option for iPhone only appeared in the first beta, and it was super bugged on iPhone. If I had to guess it was probably a bug or oversight that it ever appeared at all, since that's always been an iPad-only option.

Trash.
Was literally my #1 anticipated feature.

W/E.
Webbrowsing with a content blocker on is a pretty huge. Seems like a nice update. I can already tell that swipe to the left siri page is gonna freak me out. It put my Mom on my "you might like to contact" thing. Ha, let me tell you a thing or two about my family, iPhone. Glad they didn't remove swipe down though. I really quite like swipe down for spotlight.

Real Real mad about that rotation lock.

rekameohs

Banned
Since Crystal is free for a limited time, and will become a premium app later, is there a way for me to "purchase" it now, even though I can't run it on my current hardware, so it's in my iCloud account for when I inevitably do upgrade?

CraigMcD

Since Crystal is free for a limited time, and will become a premium app later, is there a way for me to "purchase" it now, even though I can't run it on my current hardware, so it's in my iCloud account for when I inevitably do upgrade?

iTunes on PC/Mac.

Yes, do you have iTunes installed on a computer?

Has Apple made any comments on Crystal yet? I really wonder if they'll tolerate something like that on the App Store, Google ended up nuking all ad blockers from the Play Store a few years back.

It's funny seeing people getting excited about ad blocker on iOS, I'm glad you guys got it though.

Has Apple made any comments on Crystal yet? I really wonder if they'll tolerate something like that on the App Store, Google ended up nuking all ad blockers from the Play Store a few years back.

It's funny seeing people getting excited about ad blocker on iOS, I'm glad you guys got it though.

Google is an ad company. Full stop.

Apple is not.

Huh? Why wouldn't they be okay with it, they created the API that allowed content blockers. There's a setting in Safari that lets you select which one you want active

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So is there an iCloud drive app for Windows?

Guess Who

Banned

Apple made a whole API just for "content blockers." They wanted adblocking.

So is there an iCloud drive app for Windows?

Yup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

Carton

I have framerate issues in the app switcher on my 6+, anyone else?

Yup, there is some definite jitter. Mostly when the homescreen comes onto the screen, for whatever reason.

Peace is fantastic. It's really handy adding it (Peace Settings) as an extension to the share sheet, as it allows you to flick 'bypass' on for sites (such as our beloved gaf) which do not have intrusive ads.

numble

The point of the API is to allow blocking of ads...

HUELEN10

ImEbJam.jpg

Kindekuma

Banned
Downloading iOS 9 now, been using 8.3 because I didn't want to update to the crappier music app.

Ehh I'll bite the bullet I guess.

Top Bottom