• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

ZeroX03

Banned
Battery life is noticeably better on my 6 Plus. Whether it's iOS9 or Crystal or both, Safari isn't draining as much.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't quite get the ad blocker enthusiasm, a browser like Dolphin (the very best) had it for years. Am I missing something?

I love the new OS. It really shines on the iPad.

DKehoe

Anyone know how to view the "Up Next" list on the podcast app? It seems like it's replaced the On The Go Playlist, which I used quite a lot. But I can't see how you can actually view what's on there.

Fliesen

I don't quite get the ad blocker enthusiasm, a browser like Dolphin (the very best) had it for years. Am I missing something?

well, for many, a third party browser is not an option, as we'd lose iCloud tabs, Hand-Off, etc.

Safari is, essentially, an ecosystem by itself.

breakfuss

If I've been using the beta did it automatically upgrade to the official release? I didn't get a prompt to update yesterday (although the beta did bump up to 9.1 earlier this week).

Number45

Pretty cool we're finally getting Tweetbot 4. And, more importantly, an up-to-date version for the iPad.

Now, does anybody know it these are gonna be paid updates?
I'm going with yes, same as they have for each major update.

I'll be buggered if I'm
not
paying again! :'(

Enco

Safari is easily the best browser.

Chrome isn't amazing but is second best. The rest are pretty bad. Either ugly, slow or unintuitive.

Plus you get no OS integration so they're a huge inconvenience.

Xun

I'm really not sure if I should upgrade from 7 to 9 on my 4S.

Is it worth doing or will it just run a lot slower?

jelly

Think I might roll back to iOS 8 on iPhone 5 if it doesn't settle. Not that smooth for me. Moving about is mostly okay, but the action is notably slower and things take a little longer to open.

FerranMG

Anyone? I fee like since 8.4 battery life has been a joke and thinking of taking it to apple store

Give it up to a couple of days to settle down.
Sometimes, after an update, there's some reindexing going on that might impact the battery life.

On my iPhone 5S battery life has been noticeably better on 9.0 than on 8.3 (which is the last 8.x version I installed).

Apparently, Peace only hides ads, but not the space they occupy. Well, at least on some pages. This sucks. Crystal, on the other hand, removes the empty space too, but still not on all pages.

This article is a good example. With Peace, the ad after the opening paragraph is blocked, but the "Anzeige" ("ad") label remains. With Crystal, that label is removed too, but the white space remains. On my Mac, using Adblock, even the white space is removed.

Yeah I posted about this. Purify seems to be doing the best job in terms of blocking ads and reorganizing the page to look like they never existed. I'd use either crystal or purify over peace right now.

Fliesen

Picture in Picture + a nice turn based game = heaven.

i can't wait until Youtube, Twitch and Netflix support it.

People have doubts about Youtube, but as long as the PiP can still show ads, i don't think Google would mind.
This may be worthwhile for you to watch. I have a 5 and after watching that, I may wait for 9.1 to be released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOEir-8Bayw

well, essentially, the difference on the 5, performance wise, seems to be pretty negligible and well worth the added functionality. imho.
The fact that content blockers can dramatically increase browsing speeds makes me think anyone with a 5 and upwards should go for iOS 9

Vashetti

Banned
Some impressions from my partner's 4S:

As long as you check Reduce Motion, Reduce Transparency, turn off Background App Refresh, have a static wallpaper and limit the amount of apps that provide notifications, it actually runs really well considering how old the hardware is.

I wish they'd gotten content blockers working on 32-bit software though, because Safari on the 4S could really do with it.

samn

The fact that content blockers can dramatically increase browsing speeds makes me think anyone with a 5 and upwards should go for iOS 9

No, the 5 can't use content blockers.

Again, if you're on a 4s or 5, invest in Weblock for adblocking, or a similar alternative.

Fliesen

No, the 5 can't use content blockers.

Again, if you're on a 4s or 5, invest in Weblock for adblocking, or a similar alternative.

oh, you're right, totally my bad.
Still, i think the benefits outweigh the ever so slight decrease in app loading times.

Fucking hell, folders on the iphone still just show the bullshit 3x3 square of apps per page in that stupid little box. Their phones are now huge, whats the deal?

Anyone? I fee like since 8.4 battery life has been a joke and thinking of taking it to apple store
Check out your usage, itll show where the drain is but yeah thats fast unless youre using a location app with high brightness, wifi and bluetooth. Try the new low power mode?

Word and Excel opened side by side is just as nice as I expected but holy shit is that multi-tasking app selector fucking garbage. Scrolling through your entire list of multi-tasking capable apps is quite possibly the worst way for this to work. There's not even a search bar as far as I can tell.

Yea I just wish it retained the icon of the app on the multitask screen.

I'm sad that the iPhone 5 cannot use content blockers, but everything else is working really well for me. The smoothest update I've ever experienced, with no regressions in performance.

cjp

Probably a candidate for my favourite iOS release yet. Now that I have the battery widget, I can turn off the percentage in the status bar for a cleaner look.

Has anyone tried side loading apps yet? gba4iOS?

Surfheart

I'm fine with iOS 9 except for the app switcher. Why change it?

It's a regression in every way from performance, to readability and usability. I used to use it to reference information from another app, now the windows are obscured. Frame rate is low flicking through it and apps maximise from it with a stutter.

Navigating it is frustrating, I find I scroll beyond the app that I'm looking for and the previous one will flick to the front and then I slowly have to to fine tune my scroll to get what I want.

Also, most of the time I have to touch an app twice to maximise it, not sure if it's the low frame rate or just the animation not being complete and it's discarding touches either way it's a frustrating experience.

LCfiner

So I'm assuming Peace is the preferred content blocker atm?

too early to say bu i prefer it to crystal and purify (beta) for the ability to block comments widgets and for how good ghostery (the back end) is at blocking ads and scripts.

edit: @ Surfhurt. i think it might have been changed partly for the new force touch app switching shortcut on the 6s. push hard on the edge and swipe. having the multitasking windows on that edge make he image match the gesture

Here is a way you can easily decide between peace and purify

Peace comes from the guys behind ghostery
Purify comes from the guys behind Ublock

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Installed Peace. White listed GAF. Whitelisting to me is a launch feature for a content blocker. Also News is VASTLY improved from betas. I mean yeah it goes without saying, but the betas I found myself asking why I would ever even use it. Now I actually enjoy checking it while eating breakfast and coffee.

XOMTOR

Safari is easily the best browser.

Chrome isn't amazing but is second best. The rest are pretty bad. Either ugly, slow or unintuitive.

Plus you get no OS integration so they're a huge inconvenience.

iCab Mobile and Mercury are both pretty sweet. Mercury is a bit better looking but iCab is faster, has more features and the app size is tiny. The problem with Safari is the scrolling speed; it's like molasses.

cjp

IMDB's deep linking doesn't seem to work for me. Clicked on a link in Safari and it just opened up the website. The only Open in IMDB banner took me to the App Store even though I already have it installed...

The whole deep linking thing is supposed to open website content in apps, right?

giga

Nilay just published an editorial basically saying the web is dying because companies are creating alternative publishing platforms and Apple is allowing ad blockers. I don't agree at all. I think this is the best thing that has happened to the web in some time because publishers now have a fire lit under them to get better and create value propositions that users will be willing to pay for.

Top Bottom