• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

samn

God he's thick. Apple news is an RSS reader. All of its feeds are public.

It's an interesting point actually. If I scraped a website's content, served it up from my own servers, with my own ads on the side, I wouldn't last 5 minutes. Yet if it's an RSS feed, it's okay?

Just bought Peace and comparing to crystal on the iPad. Would appear that peace removes the ads but leaves the white spacing where the ad would be whereas crystal shifts everything in to place as if the ads never existed.

Weird I would have thought it would be the other way around. Maybe I'll hold off on peace

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
When I was testing Crystal I noticed it had problems loading images on Yahoo and was allowing ads on Youtube.

Purify has no issues and it also loads sites faster than Crystal. There's a perceivable difference in speed.

It's an interesting point actually. If I scraped a website's content, served it up from my own servers, with my own ads on the side, I wouldn't last 5 minutes. Yet if it's an RSS feed, it's okay?

Their site doesn't have to have an RSS feed. They choose to. Apple isn't taking anything, they're giving it

giga

I'm of the mindset that users are free to control whatever their browser loads, just as publishers are free to publish what they want or restrict their content in whatever way they wish.

Silentium

Just bought this, very happy with the performance. Arment hits another home run.

I'll be interested to see if Arment's license with Ghostery is exclusive, or whether we'll start to see other apps use their database (which is definitely superior to the shotgun, million item long lists floating around the net). EDIT: Viticci's article on MacStories seems to suggest the Ghostery license is exclusive.

Content producers who submit their feeds to Apple News can still sell ads against that content, or better yet, let Apple do it and still make like 90% of the ad revenue.

With content blockers they get nothing.

Also after installing Peace it made me switch from AdBlock Plus to Ghostery on Mac as well, things seem faster.

I just tried peace. It still leaves behind remnants of where the ads would have been even though the ads themselves are gone. For example, the mobile version of www.blogto.com has a banner ad on the bottom of the page. Using Peace removes the ad but the shaded part where the ad would have been is still present. Using any other content blockers completely removes it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
if they didn't make the experience so miserable maybe I wouldn't block his ads. I don't have a problem with advertising, but Safari was becoming unusable

Exactly. It would be hard to argue, given that it's 2015 and Apple is just adding this feature, that this is an active strike against advertising; rather, this is reactive. After a long time of performance degrading year after year, Apple decided to do something about it. No one can say this wasn't a long time coming. No one can say that the problem wasn't real. *shrugs*

(Unfortunately by requiring 64-bit iOS devices, they actually make it hard for the people who most need this to take advantage of it)

Seems odd that NeoGAF is promoting a cd key site? Thought that was frowned upon here.

Well you can try to link to it and see if it's frowned upon:
http://www.********

Looks like it.

Is anyone able to use spotlight to search within third party apps? I know Yelp and Dropbox have been updated to support it but it doesn't seem to work for me yet.

LCfiner

Call me crazy but I think the Mercury browser on iOS had an ad blocker plugin since... forever.

Not the same thing as its more convenient now. By working within safari, now the default browser can block ads. Third party browsers were never as fast as safari and clicking links in other apps would open safari and not the third party browser with the ad blocking

Is anyone able to use spotlight to search within third party apps? I know Yelp and Dropbox have been updated to support it but it doesn't seem to work for me yet.

It works. It's just an utterly useless implementation of something that could be useful. Type in something like Chinese food and you'll see Yelp show up.

It works. It's just an utterly useless implementation of something that could be useful. Type in something like Chinese food and you'll see Yelp show up.

I just tried that and I get Maps, Mail, Suggested Website, Web Videos, Bing Search, Search Web & Search App Store. No Yelp.

I just tried that and I get Maps, Mail, Suggested Website, Web Videos, Bing Search, Search Web & Search App Store. No Yelp.

Not working for me either

I just went through the Spotlight Search section of settings and turned off a ton of stuff. Looks like every app you have downloaded is included by default

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've always not installed Yelp because I hate it, but if I install it now will I see restaurants and stuff in spotlight, etc?

seldead

So it looks like I have 5 pending updates from the App Store, but the "update" button always changes to "open" and they won't actually update

Should I just wait it out or what
Yeah I have this same problem with two updates. I just imagine they'll go away at some point. Not particularly intrusive but definitely weird.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, did they remove using the side switch for rotation lock?

ZeroX03

Banned
Really good first impressions. It was janky for the first few minutes on both my 6 Plus and Air 2 but it quickly stabilized. Just some initial indexing I assume. No performance issues since.

Crystal does noticeably speed up page loading and makes things cleaner to read. Especially helpful since any gaming website that isn't GAF is usually covered with awful ads.

Slide over and multitasking will be great when more apps support them. None of the apps I use other than Safari really support them right now. Slide over doesn't play nice with things like Hearthstone that can't be put into standby either. It's one of those features that will just get better and better over time.

Same with picture in picture. Lovely for GAF browsing for in-line videos but otherwise useless since third party apps don't support it yet. You also can't close the tab of any video you're playing.

Struct09

This has been the most crashtastic iOS update for me. It seems to have a problem with my bluetooth headphones, everything was working fine this morning before I upgraded to iOS9.

EDIT: And now it crashed even when Bluetooth was disabled. Not sure what's going on :-/

You know what needs Deep Search Integration? All video apps so you can search for a TV show and can a result from all streaming services, like on the AppleTV.

I tried searching for “Portlandia”, and then even “Movies”, but I didn’t get any in-app searches yet.

You know what needs Deep Search Integration? All video apps so you can search for a TV show and can a result from all streaming services, like on the AppleTV.

I tried searching for “Portlandia”, and then even “Movies”, but I didn’t get any in-app searches yet.

That should be possible, we just need those apps to be updated first.

ZeroX03

Banned
Siri still searches Apple Music before your local library. SIGH. Is there any way to disable this? Even if I log out of Apple Music it still tries to play from there.

At least there's a shuffle all from an artist option again.

RM8

Granted, I'm using a 5Cheap, but I hardly feel any difference. At least I'm glad it didn't break anything so far.

Guess Who

Banned
I've noticed that, when using Slideover on my iPad Air 1, the app in the background is still running. The UI updates, it keeps doing whatever it was doing. It's not "pausing" like I heard before.

So why don't we get split screen?

Siri still searches Apple Music before your local library. SIGH. Is there any way to disable this? Even if I log out of Apple Music it still tries to play from there.

At least there's a shuffle all from an artist option again.

They changed a few things with Apple Music I like. Clicking the three dots has DRASTICALLY reduced the number of menu options, and there's now an option to stream high quality music in cellular

Still a lot of work to be done, but progress

Top Bottom