• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

randome

Does the actual Crystal app have to be running for it to be effective? I just loaded the trackers and then cleared the app out of the background and it seems fine.

on first blush, 9 seems to have made my 6+ more stable than before. Hopefully, safari doesn't start crashing all of the time and my podcast app wont randomly shut down anymore

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Does the actual Crystal app have to be running for it to be effective? I just loaded the trackers and then cleared the app out of the background and it seems fine.

no. you just have to run the app once. doing so will turn-on/prompt background app usage, download the database, etc. yeah this threw my for a loop also on Peace. The devs should put in their descriptions that you MUST run an ad blocker app once to get it to work in Safari.

So is there any reason I shouldn't turn on wi-fi calling?

I've had it on since like PB2 or PB3 (forgot which). If your carrier supports it, my answer is... not that I'm aware of? Granted my actual voice usage at home has dropped to near non-existent levels.. but using voice at home, I've never once had an issue with it.

yodandy

So is content blocking not available on the ipad3 since its a 32 bit cpu?

Legit going to upgrade if not, this has revolutionized browsing on my iphone6.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The battery stats are hilariously useless when they show you the last 20 hours or whatever and not from when you were unplugged. What a dumb decision.

samn

There are apps available like Weblock that allow for adblocking via a different mechanism. Wifi only, but that's good enough for an iPad.

I have a little glitch where it's tellingl me I have 3 app updates available, but when I go to update nothing needs updating. I've tried restarting too. Anyone else having this? Pretty happy with the upgrade, my 6+ hasn't crashed once in Safari. Yahoo mail crashes to the Home screen upon login, but the app is still open. I might try re-downloading that app.

borghe

I can't get the music app to show up when I plug in my headphones on the lock screen. What gives?
this is a predictive thing I believe. So if you listen to music a lot over headphones, siri will do it. As with all predictive things (like drive time to work, etc) you have to give it time for siri to build up behaviors.

iOS content blocking is only available on 64-bit platforms, yes. Air/mini2 and higher only.

dLMN8R

I'm glad that folks are finally waking up to the fact that The Verge has been shit for a while now. I removed them from my RSS reader over a year ago and couldn't be happier with the results.

I have a little glitch where it's tellingl me I have 3 app updates available, but when I go to update nothing needs updating. I've tried restarting too. Anyone else having this? Pretty happy with the upgrade, my 6+ hasn't crashed once in Safari. Yahoo mail crashes to the Home screen upon login, but the app is still open. I might try re-downloading that app.

Had the same glitch. I had to delete 2 of 5 of the apps that I needed to update and reinstall and then the other 3 popped up with the update option.

Yeah I had the same thing. Just back out and refresh and you will see "Update All" for a quick second before it grays out again. You gotta be really fast.

Had the same glitch. I had to delete 2 of 5 of the apps that I needed to update and reinstall and then the other 3 popped up with the update option.

Yeah I had the same thing. Just back out and refresh and you will see "Update All" for a quick second before it grays out again. You gotta be really fast.

Haha, I actually fixed it by deleting Yahoo Mail (which was crashing to the Home screen after logging in) and once I re-downloaded it the updates showed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have more faith in Marco Arment than I do in someone who released a pay-for adblocker that doesn't even have a whitelist. So I'm sure Peace will sort this out fairly soon.
Crystal is also free. Seems to work great too. I'll be testing all three (purify/crystal/peace) now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nilay just published an editorial basically saying the web is dying because companies are creating alternative publishing platforms and Apple is allowing ad blockers. I don't agree at all. I think this is the best thing that has happened to the web in some time because publishers now have a fire lit under them to get better and create value propositions that users will be willing to pay for.

Yes, and I heard X10 published an article saying built-in popup blockers are bad because people should sign up for the amazing X10 spy cam the smallest spy camera to spy on your nanny

YukFO9c.jpg

Pictured: the mobile advertising world circa 2013, with an advertiser wondering what will happen in the years to come.

borghe

You'd think they'd open it up to apps that have in-app browsers too.

they do.. anything that calls the safari control inside of an app gets content blocking for free. Peace is awesome. Quick access to whitelisting. Super fast.

Guess Who

Banned
WiFi calling lets you use your WiFi connection to send/receive calls and whatnot. It's mostly useful if you have poor cell reception but a good WiFi signal.

funkypie

Banned
Check out your usage, itll show where the drain is but yeah thats fast unless youre using a location app with high brightness, wifi and bluetooth. Try the new low power mode?

Still shit with lower power mode. Bluetooth always off, only use chrome, most my usage shows in chrome. Brightness is low.

Is chrome better than safari on iPhones? I've never bothered with Safari.

Lima

Still shit with lower power mode. Bluetooth always off, only use chrome, most my usage shows in chrome. Brightness is low.

No. Safari is best on any Apple device. Not even on a desktop Mac I would touch Chrome.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Chrome on iOS is battery hungry in my experience compared to Safari. Anecdotally that may be tied to how many other google apps you have installed and the amount of account syncing that goes on between them/desktop counterparts.

I've used both Peace and Purify, and Purify is a much better experience. I've seen Peace stop the FedEx tracking site from working, wreck the style sheet for the Associated Press site, and leave blank spaces for ads while Purify removed the spaces as well without all the false-positive problems that Peace seems to have.

Cannot recommend Peace. I do recommend Purify.

Fitts

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised with this update. My 6 seems to be running more smoothly. No performance issues yet.

What's not so great is yet more junk apps being tacked on that can't be deleted. Into the junk folder you go. Also, is there any way to completely turn off the Google Now-like search screen when you swipe to the left?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I've used both Peace and Purify, and Purify is a much better experience. I've seen Peace stop the FedEx tracking site from working, wreck the style sheet for the Associated Press site, and leave blank spaces for ads while Purify removed the spaces as well without all the false-positive problems that Peace seems to have.

Cannot recommend Peace. I do recommend Purify.

This has been my experience as well. Purify's blocking lists are optimized for mobile which means you get less issues like this.

Purify is the most "Apple-like" of all the content blockers. The 3.99 is worth it IMO.

Top Bottom