• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Ok, so I reset my iPhone 6 Plus and whilst it was in literally out of the box mode, the auto lock worked fine, 1 minute was 1 minute, 2 minutes was 2 minutes etc.

Now I've pre-loaded it back up with my apps and email clients etc and its gone back to what it was previously.

30 Seconds is fine
1 Minute is 30 seconds
2 minutes is actually 1 minute
3 minutes is actually 2 minutes

What could possibly be causing this to happen?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wait. There isn't a built-in adblock? You have to download and pay for an app? I haven't really paid attention but that's shocking to me. How does it even work?

There's free ones, there's paid ones. It's like the adblocker you download for your browser on a desktop PC.

Kito

My second favourite thing about iOS 9 is... the new battery widget. I doubt anyone else even cares about this feature. I always used to toggle battery percentage off when the battery was green (100%-21%) / on when red (1-20%). Now I can just quickly look at the widget for % when the battery's red. Happy days.

Roo

I thought this update was going to focus on performance? My iPad 2 works worse now :/

What kind of problems do you have?
I'm also rocking an old iPad 2 and even tho I haven't tried everything extensively I have not noticed any issue.

RedSwirl

Everything syncs via iCloud these days, since at least 999 years ago.

I use Chrome on my PC and change up bookmarks semi-frequently. I'd like to have that stuff sync with my mobile browser as frequently as possible. In that situation going through Chrome sync is easier than syncing through iTunes all the time, unless there's a way I can have my Chrome bookmarks perpetually go into iCloud and into Safari or something like that.

Edit: This has got to be some bullshit right? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah?hl=en

Edit: Wait is that what iCloud For Windows does? I've put off installing it for years.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I hate the new closing app layout.

You get used to it. It's mostly designed with 3D touch in mind whereby you can swipe between apps without using the home button.

I use Chrome on my PC and change up bookmarks semi-frequently. I'd like to have that stuff sync with my mobile browser as frequently as possible. In that situation going through Chrome sync is easier than syncing through iTunes all the time, unless there's a way I can have my Chrome bookmarks perpetually go into iCloud and into Safari or something like that.

Edit: This has got to be some bullshit right? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-bookmarks/fkepacicchenbjecpbpbclokcabebhah?hl=en

there sure is, the iCloud control panel. :)

wOVn3FR.png

Enco

Edit: Wait is that what iCloud For Windows does? I've put off installing it for years.
I think if you download iCloud it lets you sync your bookmarks with your browser.

number11

Nice to see the podcast app finally updated to match the music app design.

This has been bugging me.. I have an empty space on one of my app screens. Has one of the stock Apple apps been deleted or merged with another?

Caronte

What kind of problems do you have?
I'm also rocking an old iPad 2 and even tho I haven't tried everything extensively I have not noticed any issue.

It feels slower in general. Even when I pause a song it takes like a second or so before doing it. Private mode in Safari has given me some problems too (I had to restart Safari because it wouldn't let me do anything).

I guess I'll reinstall it to see if it improves anything.

So if I'm already on iCloud's $0.99 20GB storage plan, how do I get it to shift to the $0.99 50GB plan? It doesn't seem to be possible without downgrading (and thus deleting a bunch of my stuff).

samn

So if I'm already on iCloud's $0.99 20GB storage plan, how do I get it to shift to the $0.99 50GB plan? It doesn't seem to be possible without downgrading (and thus deleting a bunch of my stuff).

If you downgrade does it actually delete your stuff? Or does it just prevent you from uploading more (like Dropbox, Google Drive)

Erebus

Nice to see the podcast app finally updated to match the music app design.

This has been bugging me.. I have an empty space on one of my app screens. Has one of the stock Apple apps been deleted or merged with another?
Newsstand is gone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
DAAAAAMN

At my work we have a metal roof so I'm used to never being able to browse the web in LTE at lunch. There's signal, but it's just too weak for page loads. I can browse Twitter, etc..

But with Peace enabled I can browse the web fast as hell with this anemic signal. It's insane.

DAAAAAMN

At my work we have a metal roof so I'm used to never being able to browse the web in LTE at lunch. There's signal, but it's just too weak for page loads. I can browse Twitter, etc..

But with Peace enabled I can browse the web fast as hell with this anemic signal. It's insane.

I didn't even think of that.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm a bit sad that I haven't gotten any apps that are updated to iOS 9, only had 3-4 out of my 50 apps on iPad/iPhone :( was hoping it would be a rush like last year and the year before

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm a bit sad that I haven't gotten any apps that are updated to iOS 9, only had 3-4 out of my 50 apps on iPad/iPhone :( was hoping it would be a rush like last year and the year before

I am anxiously awaiting Whatsapp to update their app with the in-notification reply feature now it's available for developers. I need it.

Maybe not directly related to iOS9, but is anyone else still waiting for their iCloud storage tier to bump up?

I'm on the $0.99 plan, and when I go to the upgrade options it informs me I'm now on the 50GB plan, but my actual storage is still capped at 20GB.

EDIT: I see people a few posts above mine are discussing it.

Surfheart

What device are you on? It works great on my iPhone 6. Works well left handed.

It's equally bad on my 6+ and my wife's iPad Air. When I saw it running on her air I decided to leave mine on 8. Seriously considering reverting my 6+ to 8, first time I've ever considered rolling back a version of iOS.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Has anyone else been experiencing settings not sticking? I'm trying to allow certain apps mobile data usage on my iPhone 6 and it just keeps reverting. Quite annoying.

NekoFever

Mine's upgraded now. It was thinking about it since yesterday, showing me on the 50GB plan when I checked that screen but only showing 20GB of space on my account. But now my Mac and iPhone are both showing 50GB. I didn't do anything to change it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Anybody else's notifications center not clearing properly? Not syncing properly with the lockcreen or my apple watch either. I have 4 emails stuck there that are conpletely resistant to the 'x' buttons

I can't login to either Messages or Facetime after the update...Pretty pissed right now...Keep getting an "Error ocurred please try again" message...

I also had this problem after I updated. I shut off iMessage and Facetime, rebooted, and turned on iMessage and Facetime, and it sat on "Waiting for Activation" for about 3 hours or so, and then it finally activated.

I have a 6+, FWIW.

Sanic

Are adblockers not supported on the original iPad mini? Both Peace and Crystal are incompatible. Not sure what others are recommended, or even work?

oneils

I upgraded last night. How do I get it to stop asking me if I want to open a YouTube link using the YouTube app. I just need it to be automatic.

Thanks, I feel so old.

so i am new to ios, what apps should i download, i see you guys recommending a youtube player and ad blocker. Anything else you cant live without on your iphone?

also is the new notes getting closer to being an evernote replacement?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You get used to it. It's mostly designed with 3D touch in mind whereby you can swipe between apps without using the home button.

there sure is, the iCloud control panel. :)

wOVn3FR.png

What? Wow I'd never bothers with icloud for Windows. Didn't realise it could sync bookmarks with safari on iOS. Does it do it both ways? This is great.

Xun

Really happy so far (I've upgraded from 8 though).

Much, much smoother than 8, web noticeably better. First impressions it may do me another year...

Real heart in the mouth moment when the install progress bar was stuck 2mm from the end for over 30mins. But it finally rebooted and all is good.

Only 2 bugs so far: rebooted when plugged into my AppRadio cradle (but recovered and worked), and Podcasts edit mode seems to have no function?

Lower case font in the keyboard looks slightly odd, almost like a few letters are slightly off centre (looking at you t, l).

Anyway much better than 8 so far, and (straining to recall 7) similar in speed? No Safari page load errors as yet, which seemed reasonably frequent in 8.
Cheers for the information.

Hopefully others chime in too, since I'm still admittedly on the fence.

Things like this aren't promising though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-6Qy2xW9k

Considering 8 was slower than 7, this isn't a good sign from the start.

Tube station entrances in Apple Maps. iOS 9 killing off Chrome & now Google Maps for me.
That's nice to see! Looks like a good update.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What? Wow I'd never bothers with icloud for Windows. Didn't realise it could sync bookmarks with safari on iOS. Does it do it both ways? This is great.

Yes it syncs both ways seamlessly via iCloud. Been like this since iOS 7 I want to say, I've used it for ages.

IIRC your desktop bookmarks take priority on first sync unless they' changed that / let you do a backup of the iOS ones. Something to keep in mind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I downloaded iOS9 on my 6 Plus and Air 2. No regrets on either, ESPECIALLY my Air 2. Multitasking has breathed new life into that thing, no joke

And the keyboard trackpad is tits

I like multitasking, but I'd like portrait top/bottom split screen too. In landscape video is too small, and pip is also small (and can cover things you want to read). Top/bottom split in portrait would be perfect for video, and the other half would still be fine for eg web browsing or whatever.

Yes it syncs both ways seamlessly via iCloud. Been like this since iOS 7 I want to say, I've used it for ages.

I will choose to be happy to finally find this out, rather than annoyed at how long it has existed without me knowing

Top Bottom