• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Soybean

If all I care about is battery life should I update to iOS 9? I heard some people had much worse in the beta.

It's fine in the GM (which is identical to what will be released today) and Low Power Mode is awesome. If you're going to be out all day and you usually can't make it through the whole day without top-offs, just enable it. Unless you do CPU-heavy things you probably won't even notice. I love it.

Whats the word of ios 9 on the iphone 4s?
Is it slower than ios 7?
Not sure about 4s but it was clunky as hell on my 5. Restored 8.4 last night then gave it to my daughter as I'm switching to Android for a while. But saying that I've had a few betas that sped up once it hit gm or at least close to it. Best bet is wait a week or two after the gm comes out. If there's a problem you'll hear about it pretty quick.

Leninpest

That was only a serious issue in Beta 1. It's fine now.

Weirdly enough, Beta 1 was fine for me but Beta 2 destroyed my battery life. I would have to plug in throughout the day to keep it alive, even with light usage. It would also get really hot when I was using it. Now I'm on the 9.1 beta and my battery life is great and my phone runs much cooler.

Massa

It's fine in the GM (which is identical to what will be released today) and Low Power Mode is awesome. If you're going to be out all day and you usually can't make it through the whole day without top-offs, just enable it. Unless you do CPU-heavy things you probably won't even notice. I love it.

That was only a serious issue in Beta 1. It's fine now.

I'll upgrade then, thanks!

For people that wanted the two finger touch pad feature in the iPhone, its 6S/6S+ exclusive. It uses 3D touch.

YavB0BP.png

Eklesp

For people that wanted the two finger touch pad feature in the iPhone, its 6S/6S+ exclusive. It uses 3D touch.

Weird, I thought 6 and 6+ would be able to move the cursor around and highlight from the keyboard with iOS9. The beta and GM don't have that?

Wreav

Banned
Weird, I thought 6 and 6+ would be able to move the cursor around and highlight from the keyboard with iOS9. The beta and GM don't have that?

Nope, was only on the iPad. Totally disappointing, there's no need to hold this back from the 6, typical Apple trying to sell new phones.

e_i

So will the Slide Over and Picture and Picture work on my iPad Mini 2? The side by side stuff only works on the Air 2?

Eklesp

So will the Slide Over and Picture and Picture work on my iPad Mini 2? The side by side stuff only works on the Air 2?

I think slide over will work but not PIP.
Thought it was PIP and split screen that was only on Air 2.

e_i

I think slide over will work but not PIP.
Thought it was PIP and split screen that was only on Air 2.

From Gizmodo:

Let’s start with the things you’ll be able to do on the most models. First, there’s Slide Over, which lets you swipe a secondary app over onto your screen from the right side to interact with it while you keep a primary app open. Then there’s Picture-In-Picture, which will let you keep a video playing in the corner of your screen while you work in a different app—as Federighi showed us by keeping an ESPN video playing while he worked.

Finally, a feature called SplitView actually lets you divide your screen real estate between two apps and still scroll and work in both of them. This is the multi-tasking functionality many users have been waiting for, with one major caveat: It will only work for the iPad Air 2. This seems to suggest that SplitView is really meant for the workplace-focused iPad Pro we’ve heard rumors about for so long.

The Size

VAD

My 5C is in the beta program and I want to get to the stable channel.
I'm using itunes after putting my phone in recovery mode. I find more than 1 hour to download 1.56 GB a bit long. I hope the process doesn't fail.

Top Bottom