• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
hmm. so some issue with mobileGAF and Safari then. Sadly, I can't test on iPhone as it'll go fullscreen anyway.

man i miss my ipad.

In-line video seems to work fine for my aging iPad 3, though it's still on 8.x something iOS so maybe it's an iOS 9 thing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
From time to time, I have this weird issue with the progress slider of the default video player. After dragging the knob for about one centimeter, it stops, as if I had lifted my finger. It's annoying.

playerj2slt.gif

iPad. It's happening with every embedded YouTube video, not only on GAF. Try these: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187408
Strangely enough, videos from other sources (e.g. CNN) seem to be fine.

Why wouldn't you be able to?
But as I mentioned, seeking works perfectly fine if you open the video in fullscreen. And even if the video is fully buffered, I still can't seek further than ~1cm.
Same thing happens to me on Youtube regardless of buffering, works fine on fullscreen but I can't advance properly when it's embedded. It also happens on third party apps like Youplayer since it uses the default iOS player. iPad Air 2 on iOS 9.2.1.

Deku Tree

My iPhone 6+ keeps doing the auto shut off thing when it says I have about 10% battery.

Then I plug it in, and when it comes back alive it still says that I have about 10% battery....

Was there anything in the latest iOS update that changed the auto shut off stuff? Or what is happening to my iPhone 6+?

My iPhone 6+ keeps doing the auto shut off thing when it says I have about 10% battery.

Then I plug it in, and when it comes back alive it still says that I have about 10% battery....

Was there anything in the latest iOS update that changed the auto shut off stuff? Or what is happening to my iPhone 6+?
Your battery needs conditioning or replacing.

To condition:
- use iPhone until it switches off
- plug in charge cable
- as soon as Apple logo appears, unplug charge cable
- plug in charge cable
- do a full charge

You might have to do this twice.

You can also use coconut battery to check your battery stats: http://www.coconut-flavour.com

Apple Store can also do a battery check. Possible free replacement.

To condition:
- plug in charge cable
- plug in charge cable
- do a full charge

You can also use coconut battery to check your battery stats: http://www.coconut-flavour.com

It's honestly REALLY rare that the physical battery itself is bad. It's either the conditioning like above or a bug with the firmware, which a restore fixes

Deku Tree

To condition:
- plug in charge cable
- plug in charge cable
- do a full charge

Eq0ffu2.png

Any alternative to Coconut Battery to check the life of my iOS device? I am running a 2015 iMac lol?

It's honestly REALLY rare that the physical battery itself is bad. It's either the conditioning like above or a bug with the firmware, which a restore fixes

Thanks!

Also My battery still works like a champ and lasts a really long time. I will check the conditioning like above or if that doesn't work then the firmware update too.

Any alternative to Coconut Battery to check the life of my iOS device? I am running a 2015 iMac lol?
latest version of coconutBattery is 3.3 and I run it on my 2011 iMac running El Capitan.

I guess you are on 10.5/10.6 so have to run coconutBattery 2.8? Another reason to upgrade ;)

Deku Tree

13Qymb3.png

Does this say that my battery is OK (and not slowly dying)?

Battery is 100% but coconutBattery says it needs to be calibrated.

latest version of coconutBattery is 3.3 and I run it on my 2011 iMac running El Capitan.

I guess you are on 10.5/10.6 so have to run coconutBattery 2.8? Another reason to upgrade ;)

No I was using 2.8 by accident. My computer shipped with El Capitan.

The latest 9.3 beta has a bug where with rotation lock on my phone has locked into landscape.

This is everything I've wanted since getting a Plus!

Too scared to turn the lock off now. Gonna be sad when I have to update.

Ambitious

soulverxdszh.jpg

I really don't understand how stuff like this happens. After adding support for Slide Over and/or Split View, do they not test it? Do they just flip a switch in Xcode and call it a day? I seriously don't understand.

Not even Apple was able to iron out all layout issues related to Slide Over/Split View:

img_0074m6z6l.jpg

I can't reproduce it when I'm not using Slide Over/Split View, so I assume it's related.
However, the difference between those two examples is that Safari's Recently Closed Tabs dialog only gets screwed up after toying with the device orientation and Split Screen for a while, while Soulver's UI is always broken.

Deku Tree

When I plug my iPhone into my computer it invites me to install 9.2.1 even though I already have 9.2.1 installed. I am doing a restore now. See how it goes....

Miyahon

When I plug my iPhone into my computer it invites me to install 9.2.1 even though I already have 9.2.1 installed. I am doing a restore now. See how it goes....

Probably because there's two versions of 9.2.1. The latest one can only be installed from iTunes and it fixes the error 53 issue people had.

Ambitious

Jesus Christ I fucking love it when I want to switch the Slide Over app but the swipe is registered as a tap instead so Tweetbot scrolls all the way to the top and I have to figure out the original position of my timeline.

Red

Speaking of live photos, am I the only one that finds the transition between the static image and the video in a live photo to not be particularly smooth?
I think of them more like slideshows anyway. The frame rate seems to change depending on how much light you have.

Red

I notice Apple Music displays "high speed" or "half speed" scrubbing when you're moving the cursor through a song. Is there a specific reason Apple differentiates the speeds? It seems to depend on how fast you move your finger across the screen, which is already so intuitive there doesn't seem to be a need to describe how fast you're going.

I notice Apple Music displays "high speed" or "half speed" scrubbing when you're moving the cursor through a song. Is there a specific reason Apple differentiates the speeds? It seems to depend on how fast you move your finger across the screen, which is already so intuitive there doesn't seem to be a need to describe how fast you're going.

I thought it was like videos, where it depends on how far your finger away is from the bar

Aka once you start scrubbing if you raise or lower your finger it will change the scrubbing speed accordingly

Deku Tree

Is there any indication that iOS9.2 or 9.2.1 introduced some battery drain issue on the iPhone 6plus?

I feel like recently my battery started draining. Last night it had 100% charge when I unplugged it. This morning when I woke up 8 hours later it had 93% charge. Used to be that it would stay at 100% over night when it wasn't being used...

... I recently did a full restore but it didn't do anything ...

... feels like it's possibly a software issue.

FerranMG

For the last week I've been getting duplicate WhatsApp notifications for all the messages I receive. The second notification comes with a 5-10 seconds delay from the first one.
I didn't turn on any option, not that there's one that I know about to begin with.
Has this happened to anybody else?

Majine

Banned
I hope in the next big software refresh (iOS 10, OS X 10.12, etc.) that they put Photos on equal ground everywhere. What am I talking about?

- Why does the Apple TV version only have album view, and not the chronological list?
- Why does the Mac version have "People", but not on any other version?
- Why does the web version not have shared albums?

I hope in the next big software refresh (iOS 10, OS X 10.12, etc.) that they put Photos on equal ground everywhere. What am I talking about?

- Why does the Apple TV version only have album view, and not the chronological list?

I just learned this recently, but you can manually search by people in the iOS app. You can't tag people, but you can search by them

Majine

Banned
I just learned this recently, but you can manually search by people in the iOS app. You can't tag people, but you can search by them

What the fuck, you're right. That's kinda crazy.

But I would've never guessed in a million years that you could do that.

I wish the photos app was half as useful as the Google Photos app.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have entered the birthday dates of all my contacts in the fitting entry of the contact app - They show up in the calender correctly and everything.

Is there a way to let them show up in the calender widget in the notificationcenter?
I get a reminder correctly, but I want them to show up there, too.

Gobbly

Banned
I have entered the birthday dates of all my contacts in the fitting entry of the contact app - They show up in the calender correctly and everything.

Is there a way to let them show up in the calender widget in the notificationcenter?
I get a reminder correctly, but I want them to show up there, too.
Settings, mail, default alert times and switch on 'birthdays' then go to settings, notifications and make sure you have Calendar alerts switched on.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Settings, mail, default alert times and switch on 'birthdays' then go to settings, notifications and make sure you have Calendar alerts switched on.

I did this and I get Alerts for Birthdays, but I want them to show up in the Notification Center

Notifications_2.jpg

Top Bottom