• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

PittaGAF

Tell me about it. Static Sky, Sorcery 4, and Sigma Theory are my most anticipafed mobile games

As for this week, I'm looking forward to Able Black and Mediocre's new game DIRAC

Oh! Didn't know they were out this week, looking forward those too.

Able Black has a nice Simogo vibe, and I absolutely LOVE the look of the other game (I love lo-fi) even if I'm not so sure about gameplay.
Would love a strategic scifi title with that look (something like the awesome Deadnauts, the only game that managed to glue me on my PC screen despite I do not play there anymore).

Matt Frost

I been enjoying the PS4 version of Bit.Trip Runner 2 so much that I forgot about Lost Socks, and now that the hype is over... any conclusions about it?

Oh! Didn't know they were out this week, looking forward those too.

Able Black has a nice Simogo vibe, and I absolutely LOVE the look of the other game (I love lo-fi) even if I'm not so sure about gameplay.
Would love a strategic scifi title with that look (something like the awesome Deadnauts, the only game that managed to glue me on my PC screen despite I do not play there anymore).
Considering how much you like a lot of the ports and like strategy and more complex genres, I'm surprised you don't play on PC

heringer

I been enjoying the PS4 version of Bit.Trip Runner 2 so much that I forgot about Lost Socks, and now that the hype is over... any conclusions about it?

I'm actually very surprised about the lack of Lost Socks reviews. iOS sites just get worse and worse. People who have played apparently like it a lot, though.

PittaGAF

I've completed the game yesterday and imho it's a must have.
One of the best action games on iOS for sure.
It's brutally difficult and very old school (in a very modern coating), requiring precise shooting, jumping and memorizing enemies patterns like in the old days but there is always something too look forward in the immediate thanks to the progression system that makes replaying levels over and over always fun.
Technically is sublime.

PittaGAF

Considering how much you like a lot of the ports and like strategy and more complex genres, I'm surprised you don't play on PC

Well...after decades of being a hard core PC gamer...since some years I can't enjoy being in front of a PC (or a console/TV) anymore for some reasons, no matter the game.
Believe me I tried with a lot of games I thought I couldn't live without.

I much prefer the convenience of an iPad or an iPhone these years.
And to be honest, my fav genres shine on touch devices much more than using a keyboard/mouse/joypad.

Not sure if this will change anytime soon but....
Of course there are some games I'm DYING to play sooner or later that won't come to iOS ever...I generally play them at a friend place :p

awp69

It's brutally difficult and very old school (in a very modern coating), requiring precise shooting, jumping and memorizing enemies patterns like in the old days but there is always something too look forward in the immediate thanks to the progression system that makes replaying levels over and over always fun.
Technically is sublime.

Ditto! If you haven't bought and have any interest at all in the genre, it's easily one of the best, if not the best, auto running platformers on iOS.

In a word that Pitta surprisingly left out, it's GLORIOUS.

PittaGAF

Ditto! If you haven't bought and have any interest at all in the genre, it's easily one of the best, if not the best, auto running platformers on iOS.

In a word that Pitta surprisingly left out, it's GLORIOUS.

Sometimes I try to contain myself :p

Well...after decades of being a hard core PC gamer...since some years I can't enjoy being in front of a PC (or a console/TV) anymore for some reasons, no matter the game.
Believe me I tried with a lot of games I thought I couldn't live without.

I much prefer the convenience of an iPad or an iPhone these years.
And to be honest, my fav genres shine on touch devices much more than using a keyboard/mouse/joypad.

Not sure if this will change anytime soon but....
Of course there are some games I'm DYING to play sooner or later that won't come to iOS ever...I generally play them at a friend place :p
I'm like the opposite. Was console most of my life, aside from the occasional freeware and flash games, then got into mobile games around 2012 and then got into PC in 2013. So much as I enjoy mobile gaming, I can't imagine not being on PC.

Actually I'm more like you regarding consoles; my PS3 is basically a big Roku now aside from the rare sessions of The Last of Us, GTA V, and Shadow of the Colossus. That would probably change if/when I get a PS4. I need to play Bloodborne and Uncharted 4

PittaGAF

I'm like the opposite. Was console most of my life, aside from the occasional freeware and flash games, then got into mobile games around 2012 and then got into PC in 2013. So much as I enjoy mobile gaming, I can't imagine not being on PC.

Actually I'm more like you regarding consoles; my PS3 is basically a big Roku now aside from the rare sessions of The Last of Us, GTA V, and Shadow of the Colossus. That would probably change if/when I get a PS4. I need to play Bloodborne and Uncharted 4

After having played almost every RPG/Action RPG/FPS on earth for years...I'm sick just to watch even a youtube video of the standard console game...so I'm not missing those at all.
I just try them at friends place for 5 minutes, say wow to graphics, then get bored...to me are all the same with different textures now.
I'm much more into indies (so your posts are always heaven for me) so lack of PC can be a problem....but to be honest I've not THAT much time to sink and I'm pretty full already with what I can enjoy on iOS for now.
We will see...I was considering getting a couch PC to put under the TV set and use it basically as a PC-iOS Steam streaming device...
Sometimes I dream about Gabe Newell hugging Tim Cook on stage announcing a strong partnership....dreams I know :p

After having played almost every RPG/Action RPG/FPS on earth for years...I'm sick just to watch even a youtube video of the standard console game...so I'm not missing those at all.
I just try them at friends place for 5 minutes, say wow to graphics, then get bored...to me are all the same with different textures now.
I'm much more into indies (so your posts are always heaven for me) so lack of PC can be a problem....but to be honest I've not THAT much time to sink and I'm pretty full already with what I can enjoy on iOS for now.
We will see...I was considering getting a couch PC to put under the TV set and use it basically as a PC-iOS Steam streaming device...
Sometimes I dream about Gabe Newell hugging Tim Cook on stage announcing a strong partnership....dreams I know :p
There's been a cool trend of short concise games lately, so if you're looking to ease back into PC indies and want games that respect your time, this is the time. Oxenfree, Firewatch, Devil Daggers, SuperHOT, to name a few

Also I'd recommend checking out the podcast The Short Game. It's the main gaming podcast I listen to, and one of the few places that really love and appreciate mobile games too

PittaGAF

There's been a cool trend of short concise games lately, so if you're looking to ease back into PC indies and want games that respect your time, this is the time. Oxenfree, Firewatch, Devil Daggers, SuperHOT, to name a few

Also I'd recommend checking out the podcast The Short Game. It's the main gaming podcast I listen to, and one of the few places that really love and appreciate mobile games too

Yeah you are mentioning all the games I'm looking for of course....

Speaking about time...I would prohibit by law games longer than 20 hours unless you put a big disclaimer: COLLEGE STUDENTS ONLY.
But I was part of the problem back in the days...

awp69

Oxenfree and Firewatch are available on console too (I think Oxenfree is on X1 and PS4 but Firewatch is just PS4). I've been thinking of grabbing those two. Just have been bombarded at work my gaming has been limited).

awp69

For anyone who has Lost in Harmony, a new update is out that includes being able to play as Aya and a new level.

Still hope the game gets enough support for a second "adventure". I know there were some that thought the rythmn / runner aspects combined made it difficult, but I really enjoyed it and plan to replay with Aya.

Matt Frost

Getting the Division tomorrow, so thanks for the impressions, looks good but I will have too much on my plate then

I'm actually very surprised about the lack of Lost Socks reviews. iOS sites just get worse and worse. People who have played apparently like it a lot, though.

Technically is sublime.

Same as above

Thanks for the podcast recommendation. I listen to The Patch and The Game Informer Show, neither of which cover mobile games.

Where do you guys get your iOS gaming news and releases from? I check App Shopper, Pocket Gamer, Touch Arcade (forums) and Pocket Tactics (sometimes).

Edit: And Gaf, obviously
Yeah, they did a whole episode on the Apple Design Award Winners, covered Spider, Framed, Alto's Adventure, etc.

As for mobile news, Pocket Tactics, TA forums, SlideDB, IndieGames.com (occasionally), and...Pocket Gamer (of course :p
because I write for PG
), plus the App Store's Game page.

Also I'll learn about stuff while browsing Twitter, TIGSource devlogs, and emails from developers and PR people

Yasumi

Banned
Ugh, had to delete Lifeline. That was some of the most obnoxious writing I've ever experienced in a game. Tried faaaar too hard to be witty and just fell flat. Really, *really* did not like it at all.

Most mobile gaming sites seemed too busy making 15+ articles about Clash Royale to review lost socks.

Most mobile gaming sites seemed too busy making 15+ articles about Clash Royale to review lost socks.
Apple's on the Clash Royale train too, although they did feature Lost Sock
IsThAPD.jpg

PittaGAF

I must confess that besides I think it's a bit ridiculous Clash Royale is getting that kind of exposure in the AppStore the actual game surprisingly got its hooks on me.

It's the perfect little moba distilled on mobile....super quick games, always some opponents to be found in less than 2 seconds, not too many cards to be overwhelming (even if everyone seems to have that damn and powerful baby dragon but me) and mildly tactical to be interesting even if you do not care about competition or spending money.

Not sure how long it will last, but for now it's fun to do some games here and there.

pronk420

Ugh, had to delete Lifeline. That was some of the most obnoxious writing I've ever experienced in a game. Tried faaaar too hard to be witty and just fell flat. Really, *really* did not like it at all.

The camel that broke the straw's back for me and made me delete it was when it sent me a notification advertising one of their other games (I had already stopped playing it for the same reason as you).

awp69

TA's Carter Dotson finally reviewed Lost Socks:

http://toucharcade.com/2016/03/08/lost-socks-naughty-brothers-review/

Kind of annoying because he basically seems to have deducted a star for it being too difficult. Seriously?

Yes, it's difficult. But this is a 5 star game and being hardcore is not a reason for criticism if the game is based on skill (which this is IMO). Does Bloodborne or any of the Dark Souls games get hit for they're difficulty? No and this shouldn't either.

Too hard is a criticism I've seen pop up for quite a few mobile games (and some console/PC games too). Mainly in terms of being too difficult might be a turn-off for more causal players

awp69

Too hard is a criticism I've seen pop up for quite a few mobile games (and some console/PC games too). Mainly in terms of being too difficult might a turn-off for more causal players

It may turn off casual players, but that isn't a reason to critcize it (from a "professional" review standpoint) IMHO.

TA's Carter Dotson finally reviewed Lost Socks:

http://toucharcade.com/2016/03/08/lost-socks-naughty-brothers-review/

Kind of annoying because he basically seems to have deducted a star for it being too difficult. Seriously?

Yes, it's difficult. But this is a 5 star game and being hardcore is not a reason for criticism if the game is based on skill (which this is IMO). Does Bloodborne or any of the Dark Souls games get hit for they're difficulty? No and this shouldn't either.

It's a valid criticism if the reviewer didn't like it. Or doesn't like hard games in general.

Top Bottom