• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Paging Pitta, what was the name of that turn based sci fi strategy game that looked like it could scratch the Hunters 3 itch? It's still not out yet is it?

PittaGAF

Paging Pitta, what was the name of that turn based sci fi strategy game that looked like it could scratch the Hunters 3 itch? It's still not out yet is it?

I'm sure it's not out yet...I was thinking about it yesterday (if we are talking about the same game).
Now...I'm old so actually remembering the name is another story...wait a minute and I'll find it!!!

That said, hopefully Rodeo's Deathwatch is not far away (they said early summer initially).

EDIT: Did you mean Legions of Steel, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmQyfoE8mDU

PittaGAF

Nice find!!!
I was hoping to see it sooner but it looks very cool.
A sync multiplayer too, handled by Siltherine servers (I understand Siltherine is now funding the project and publishing it).

awp69

JCho133 will have my head but my favorite releases from last night in order are:

Ire: Blood Memory (already said enough on that one)
Fearless Fantasy (a fast, funny, gesture based turn-based RPG)
Heroes & Castles 2

I really like H&C 2 but other than better graphics and a deeper upgrade system, it just feels like too much of the same. Not a bad thing. Just more of a remake than a sequel. I'm early in so my opinion may change. But the other two are pulling me away.

*** bracing for incoming fire ***

Need to finish the first Pen & Paper (+ edition) so didn't get 2 last night.

awp69

Ire didn't do much for me. Combat feels unresponsive IMO, not very exciting. Nice monster designs though

See, I actually like the combat. Has that heavy weighty feeling like it means someone when you're swinging a huge sword. Definitely more Dark Souls like than a traditional hack n slash in that respect. Your attacks also can be rebuffed, especially when you try to do charged attacks and are interrupted.

It's actually faster and less clunky but still closer to Dark Souls than other games.

Upgrades, forging and inserts make a big difference too. Wasn't entirely fond of the initial weapon in comparison. Very deep upgrade system.

grmlin

So how is Grim on an iPad? I wanted to scratch that itch but I can not decide platform. iPad/PS4/PC.

No ipad but 6+ and it's awesome. I play it mainly on my way to work. For nostalgic reasons I miss my tank controls though... Well, not really ;-)

Swords & Poker Adventures updated today with a PvP mode.

It seems fun so far, but it's obviously not online/realtime (which would probably be annoying anyway).

There's also a daily reward and gacha system, although their pricing model for premium currency is still pretty trash.

Overall it feels like a good update to play a few randomized rounds as opposed to being on the adventure mode model.

I'm going to add it back to my daily lineup for now.

awp69

I gota say this is an amazingly balanced game. I'm an avid fan of the souls game and I must say well done.

Agreed. Actually am worried about whether the dev will make money on it.

The gameplay is phenomenonal and the upgrade system deep to the point of being a little too complex.

Still, one of the best combat systems on iOS as far as feeling weighty and strategic. Have to time those swings just right to avoid getting slaughtered.

Considerably easier than the Souls games, but a lot of fun.

okno

No ipad but 6+ and it's awesome. I play it mainly on my way to work. For nostalgic reasons I miss my tank controls though... Well, not really ;-)

The best thing about this port, especially on a 5S, is the lack of those fucking horrid tank controls. I'm breezing through the game faster than ever thanks to the point and click controls!

I still can't believe I'm playing this game again on my freaking phone of all things!! I've not been this happy with a game in a long, long time.

So Konami going full-steam ahead into the mobile scene...that other thread is really fun, that's for sure.
Maybe that means we'll get some really cool Silent Hill/MGS mobile games, but I'm not getting my hopes up on them being any good

So was Metal a success or not? I don't currently know how to tell which games support so I'm wondering if many devs optimized for it.

EDIT:
So Konami going full-steam ahead into the mobile scene...that other thread is really fun, that's for sure.
Maybe that means we'll get some really cool Silent Hill/MGS mobile games, but I'm not getting my hopes up on them being any good
Defending mobile games on GAF is a losing battle, I usually just stick to ignoring 90% of those threads.

ParityBit

Hrm. I may have to buy it for my iPad. It seems like it will work really well on it. It has been soooooooooooooooooooooooo long since I played it.

So was Metal a success or not? I don't currently know how to tell which games support so I'm wondering if many devs optimized for it.

I think the jury is still out on Metal. 3D games that have been optimized for it look great, one of the best examples is the Metal tracks on Asphalt 8.

The problem, as you mention, is seeing what is Metal enabled. Apple does have a section of the App Store here, but they update it manually and it's still missing some Metal enhanced games (Riptide 2, Seabeard etc.)

One thing id like to see at WWDC is a way for devs to add their own meta data to their app store listings (metal support, controller support etc.) so it's easily searchable and displayed on the listing.

Other Metal games not listed on that Apple page:

- Light in the Dark
- Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities
- Jenwer
- Armies & Ants
- Grim Fandango Remastered
- Superchroma
- Bean Dreams
- Thunder Rider - Jet Flight

I'm sure there's more.

Ghostoflies

Neo Member
Agreed. Actually am worried about whether the dev will make money on it.

The gameplay is phenomenonal and the upgrade system deep to the point of being a little too complex.

Still, one of the best combat systems on iOS as far as feeling weighty and strategic. Have to time those swings just right to avoid getting slaughtered.

Considerably easier than the Souls games, but a lot of fun.

Yes it is. So glad I picked it up

okno

Have to agree with the Ire love fest. Really well made game, and immensely satisfying. Got home from work at 1am last night and didn't go to bed until almost 3am @_@

awp69

What are people playing IRE on? Virtual button games tend to be too uncomfortable on my ipad mini so I'm guessing iPhone?

I'm playing on a Mini and have had no issues with the virtual buttons. Since it's freemium, might want to just give it a download and see what you think. Would be nice if they added the ability to customize them.

Thought I'd give a few suggestions for Ire to help out in the long term:

- At the beginning of the game, play a quest using each of the three main weapon lines to find out which one suits your play style and feels best. To be successful at the game, it's a good idea to stick with one weapon type (I personally liked the feel and heaviness of the sword) and do all your reinforcing, imbues and forging to get stronger attacks.
- Do NOT upgrade your original weapon to an element based one. I found out the hard way that if you do, you'll do poorly against broader enemies and only benefit for those who have weaknesses against it. It's better to buy a new low level weapon because they are cheap and reinforce it to +5 and create your element based weapon from it. Then you can go back to your other sword when not facing a challenging boss.
- The game is all about Stamina. Some might think the game is unresponsive with attacks, dodges, etc., but it's because it has that Demon Soul's like stamina system that prevents you from just swinging away. Get in a few hits, move back to refresh your stamina then attack again. If you try to just button mash you will die (well, die even more I should say)
- And make sure you collect challenge rewards. That's where you'll pick up the most gold, gems and forging ingredients.

The game has a TON of replay value. Five different difficulties that unlock as you progess (cannot even fathom how hard that highest one must be). And I know I will play through again with a different weapon.

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 is excellent so far.

The party customization is so elegantly simple and clean that it motivates me to make the most efficient party as possible. And given how varied all the classes and players are, I kinda feel overwhelmed which is the best type of problem to have.

SuperPac

Hey! New from Adult Swim - Tofu Hunter (Disclosure - I was a producer on this title)

It's the shooting gallery/tofu hunting game you've always wanted. Free!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tofu-hunter/id890966334?mt=8

Screenshot1.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

Screenshot4.PNG

YouTube trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPQnWigAWAg

Did anyone get LifeLine? I had to almost immediately delete it. It's based on you liking the main character and the text, but the writing is so bad. It's like you're just reading what some dude in his mom's basement thought was compelling dialogue lol. So bad.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nobody here bought Ys chronicles? Such a great game :(
I need to know if it supports iCade like DotEmu's releases usually do

RedFyn

So I decided to put sc2 on hold and played sorcery last night. I enjoyed it and am definitely going to play the next two. The flow of the game just felt good (my biggest issue with 80 days) and I enjoyed my time with it. I didn't realize it was so short but found the length to be just right for playing straight through.

I checked hltb and the second game is listed (with only one time recorded) at 7 hours. Is that an accurate time? For reference the first game took me between an hour and a half and two hours. How long is the third game?

RustyO

I checked hltb and the second game is listed (with only one time recorded) at 7 hours. Is that an accurate time? For reference the first game took me between an hour and a half and two hours. How long is the third game?

Can't comment on the games, as haven't got them yet...

The books they are based on get bigger as they go along, and are more diverse / complicated.

I would say if you enjoyed the first one, you're on the right track.

awp69

The elemental component of Ire is tough. I wish they had made the elemental effects part of the insert system instead of full blown weapon and armor sets. Probably does make the monetization a little more of a factor. But damn, it's difficult to put the game down. I'm about half way through Chapter 3 (which is about half way through the game) and getting tougher where even non-boss enemies are harder if you don't have the proper counter elements.

I have spent $4.99 to support the devs with a gem pack. Even what I have played so far has been more than worth it. Had intended to see if I could play the entire game without an IAP before getting one as a "donation". But made a few poor equipment decisions so decided to get it now. Still think the F2P aspects are fair. Just have to be careful with your choices. It's
a tough game, which I like.

The boon/invasion aspect, much like the Souls games, is pretty cool if only simulated with the players character. I've taken on some very tough opponents so there's clearly some better players than me (at least gear wise) :(

Wthermans

Banned
Did anyone get LifeLine? I had to almost immediately delete it. It's based on you liking the main character and the text, but the writing is so bad. It's like you're just reading what some dude in his mom's basement thought was compelling dialogue lol. So bad.
I've been playing it and enjoying it. Think I'm close to the end.

JCho133

JCho133 will have my head but my favorite releases from last night in order are:

Ire: Blood Memory (already said enough on that one)
Fearless Fantasy (a fast, funny, gesture based turn-based RPG)
Heroes & Castles 2

I really like H&C 2 but other than better graphics and a deeper upgrade system, it just feels like too much of the same. Not a bad thing. Just more of a remake than a sequel. I'm early in so my opinion may change. But the other two are pulling me away.

*** bracing for incoming fire ***

Need to finish the first Pen & Paper (+ edition) so didn't get 2 last night.

You utter scum of a person never show your face around here again

RowdyReverb

I'm sure this has been asked a million times here, but is there a general consensus on the best MFi controller out there? And are there enough games that use it to make it worthwhile to buy?

JMTHEFOX

I'm sure this has been asked a million times here, but is there a general consensus on the best MFi controller out there? And are there enough games that use it to make it worthwhile to buy?

Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i/Micro C.T.R.L.i
Horipad Wireless
Steelseries Stratus (XL)

That's all I can think of.

I shall not cower in fear.

Speaking of fear, anyone playing Dead Eyes? Really cool turn-based zombie puzzle game. Currently running a $.99 launch sale.
Hadn't heard of it. Just checked out the App Store...atmopsheric pixel art, turn based gameplay, and zombies? I'll post impressions in a bit

So this weekend, I plan to add Dead Eyes, Knights of Pen & Paper 2, Fearless Fantasy, Ire, Heroes & Castles 2, Tallowmere, Legend of Grimrock, Grim Fandango, and The Enchanted Cave 2 to the OP. Any other thread-worthy releases? And of course impressions are always appreciated

awp69

Wow. If you've been playing Ire, check your in-game messages. They sent out 50 free gems (usually $4.99). That'll help round out my elemental weapons stash. :)

awp69

Played Ire, the combat is great but the loot and upgrade system is over-complex F2P nonsense

It is complex and that is kind of a pain, but seems like every few minutes I'm earning things from challenges. If I hadn't screwed up with my weapon upgrade paths (ie., that complexity), I think I would have been fine without an IAP. But gladly paid $4.99 to support the dev anyway and he seems to be pretty generous with things like that 50 gem message to early adopters.

Really enjoying it.

Dev posted this review but it is quite accurate IMO. Probably my biggest gripe would be the upgrade system being too deep.

http://dnreviews.net/2015/05/16/ire-blood-memory/

MGS Touch was a pretty fun time waster although I think that's the only decent iOS game Konami came out with (at least on the American App Store). I remember DDR being particularly shitty.

Is any one who has purchased the current version of Broken Age having trouble with the game? Haven't purchased it yet and I own the latest devices so I don't think I'll have any problems with it if they are device related but there seems to be some crashing issues with the game.

awp69

Hadn't heard of it. Just checked out the App Store...atmopsheric pixel art, turn based gameplay, and zombies? I'll post impressions in a bit

So this weekend, I plan to add Dead Eyes, Knights of Pen & Paper 2, Fearless Fantasy, Ire, Heroes & Castles 2, Tallowmere, Legend of Grimrock, Grim Fandango, and The Enchanted Cave 2 to the OP. Any other thread-worthy releases? And of course impressions are always appreciated

Another good one to add would be Galactic Nemesis. I was skeptical of it being just another Galaga clone, but it's wonderful. Retro with a modern sensibility, including relative touch controls.

These past few weeks have been incredible with the amount of top notch releases.

Top Bottom