• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you

PittaGAF

I do not see enough love about the port of Legend of Grimrock.
Despite not being in a fantasy mood I bought it and yes, the port is stellar and as many have said...it's a really more visceral and intimate experience compared to the PC version (despite lack of real time monster shadows).
I hope they will make it universal as they seem to be considering (with a trick written on TA forum you can already play on iPhone 6/6+ and everyone says is great and playable).

awp69

I do not see enough love about the port of Legend of Grimrock.
Despite not being in a fantasy mood I bought it and yes, the port is stellar and as many have said...it's a really more visceral and intimate experience compared to the PC version (despite lack of real time monster shadows).
I hope they will make it universal as they seem to be considering (with a trick written on TA forum you can already play on iPhone 6/6+ and everyone says is great and playable).

Glad you like it! (Told you you would ;) ) It is indeed a fantastic port.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I was never a Clash Of Clans guy, but I've been kind of enjoying Empires and Allies and Rival Kingdoms, which both came out last week. They're freemium, which is shitty, but the core gameplay of both is really solid, and they don't seem quite as desperate to shut off gameplay without payment as a lot of their competitors.

Anyone else playing either of them?

Been playing Rival Kingdoms for a while (during soft-launch etc.) and its one of the better base-builder/pvp games. I like the 'ancients' mechanics and the spell system that's in addition to your general armies. Feels refreshing.

Nyx

Man I really hate the Pandaemonium level in the original Kingdom Rush.
I just can't get 3 stars....

Even tried a guide on YT but the room for error is so freaking small, probably the most irritating level in any of the KR games...

awp69

Looking forward to the Heroes & Castles 2 release later this week. Holding off on buying anything else and have space reserved for it (by deleting Forgotten Memories, so I can forget about it).

awp69

I beat it and thought it was cute but way way way too easy. I don't think I can even call it a puzzle game really

I think !most people see it as an experience and not a challenging puzzle game -- but am experience well worth having IMO.

I beat it and thought it was cute but way way way too easy. I don't think I can even call it a puzzle game really
I agree. I'm not sure what I'd even call it. It's definitely a worthwhile experience. And as a concept, the game could certainly be taken further and made more "puzzle-ish"

okno

So... Monument Valley. That's it? I just beat it and am frankly stunned at how short it is. I knew it was short, but wow. It's a neat idea, but not sure I agree with all of the praise.

To clarify, I feel like it ends just as any sort of narrative is truly being established. It's just too short. It's a lovely story with a lovely presentation, but this drama is unveiled and then it's just over. Maybe more is revealed in the bonus chapter, Forgotten Shores?

So... Monument Valley. That's it? I just beat it and am frankly stunned at how short it is. I knew it was short, but wow. It's a neat idea, but not sure I agree with all of the praise.
Took me 2 hours. Similar to Journey and Framed. Personally I prefer a short experience without filler

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I was never a Clash Of Clans guy, but I've been kind of enjoying Empires and Allies and Rival Kingdoms, which both came out last week. They're freemium, which is shitty, but the core gameplay of both is really solid, and they don't seem quite as desperate to shut off gameplay without payment as a lot of their competitors.

Anyone else playing either of them?

Quoting this again just to mention this regarding Rival Kingdoms (courtesy of Reddit):
Rival Kingdoms Codes (Promo) - Master List. [Updated hourly]

KingKong

Just beat the Monument Valley expansion, Forgotten Shores. I thought it was much better than the original and had a bunch of clever moments, especially the last level

RustyO

Man I really hate the Pandaemonium level in the original Kingdom Rush.
I just can't get 3 stars....

Even tried a guide on YT but the room for error is so freaking small, probably the most irritating level in any of the KR games...

Rock golems, teleport wizards, snipers and thorns was my tactic on that level if I recall...

PittaGAF

People know that when I like a game a lot in the first days of playing, GLORIOUS abound.
But how many games pass the GLORIOUS test after months?

Well...Banner Saga sure does.

I'm replaying the game at hard (normal is a tad too easy imho, hard is perfect), and it's damn GLORIOUS all over again.
Perfect app too...universal, iCloud sync...they must have even improved loading times since I last played on iPhone.

Banner Saga 2 can't come soon enough.

Wthermans

Banned
That Bardbarian game looks sweet. Just the kind of dungeon crawling game I tend to love.

But reading imps from another site, it sounds like it's hit or miss performance wise. Might be the first game I know of that an iPad Mini 2/3 can't handle. Might wait to see if the dev can optimize it more. Spending too much as it is to take a $10 risk.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/the-barbarian/id893490349?mt=8
You got me excited for another Bardbarian.

awp69

Hardboiled, a self-described Fallout inspired turn-based shooter, looks good too.

Lots of good stuff on tonight's agenda.

And, woah, that Ire: Blood Memory looks fantastic from the screenies. But freemium. Think I'm busting out my NZ account to see what it's all about, including the IAP situation.

Looks like there IAPs for a secondary premium currency. But it looks and plays, so far, like a premium game. Much better than most of the F2P ARPG crap. More of a console quality hack and slash.and looking like a game right up my alley as long as there are no hard paywalls (in which case I'll get an IAP anyway to support the devs). Will post more imps when I get more time to play.

awp69

Played a little more Ire. Levels are short and time-based. No story. But the combat is sweet and the monster design is incredible. First few levels were fairly easy, but by time you get to the fourth level, the monsters are a lot tougher.

I've been able to reinforce my equipment for very low amounts of gold, so that is not an issue. I haven't yet unlocked the next weapon upgrade (must be level 5) so will see if the gem currency is required for that.

So far I'm liking it and am impressed.

Heel

People know that when I like a game a lot in the first days of playing, GLORIOUS abound.
But how many games pass the GLORIOUS test after months?

Well...Banner Saga sure does.

I'm replaying the game at hard (normal is a tad too easy imho, hard is perfect), and it's damn GLORIOUS all over again.
Perfect app too...universal, iCloud sync...they must have even improved loading times since I last played on iPhone.

Banner Saga 2 can't come soon enough.

I've been wanting to play this, but I'm holding out for the PS4 release. I don't think my iPad 3 can handle the higher end stuff without trouble. Time for an upgrade, maybe.

awp69

What's the name of it?

Think he's referring to my earlier post about Ire: Blood Memory. It's not open world like Dark Souls. Just short, timed levels. But it has that weighty combat and challenge of Dark Souls, what appears to be a pretty robust upgrade system and incredibly designed, fear inducing monsters.

Dark Souls may have been a stretch, but it is fun and beautiful to look at. It's also F2P so am not yet far enough to say how fair that is.

PittaGAF

I've been wanting to play this, but I'm holding out for the PS4 release. I don't think my iPad 3 can handle the higher end stuff without trouble. Time for an upgrade, maybe.

If you do upgrade your iPad (now that loading times aren't a problem anymore it's pretty awesome on iPhone 6 too) I highly recommend playing it there...it's pretty perfect on tablet.
Dunno if I love more the story, the lovely graphics, the outstanding music or the simple and straightforward but really fun turn based combat.
One of the best games I played in recent years.

GLORIOUS

awp69

If you do upgrade your iPad (now that loading times aren't a problem anymore it's pretty awesome on iPhone 6 too) I highly recommend playing it there...it's pretty perfect on tablet.
Dunno if I love more the story, the lovely graphics, the outstanding music or the simple and straightforward but really fun turn based combat.
One of the best games I played in recent years.

GLORIOUS

Quoted for truth. And I agree, an iPad is probably the best way to play it.

------

And dudes, you HAVE to check out Ire: Blood Memory. Remarkable game with what, so far, seems to be a very fair F2P system. This should have been premium with optional IAPs. It's short burst gaming but soooo good. Even carries over the "invasion" MP aspect from Dark Souls. The monsters are simply awesome.

It's difficult, but old school difficult vs pay to win so far. I've earned quite a bit of gold and you have to progress through the game just to buy certain things so I think the IAPs are truly optional.

So unless something changes later in the game, I hate to say it, I'm more excited about it than H&C 2.

For a free download, no reason not to give it a shot.

99% of the time, iPad is the best way to play mobile games. Besides stuff like Sorcery and Hoplite, text-based games and portrait games, it's hard to go back to iPhone after using my Mini

awp69

99% of the time, iPad is the best way to play mobile games. Besides stuff like Sorcery and Hoplite, text-based games and portrait games, it's hard to go back to iPhone after using my Mini

I think he was referring to the upcoming PS4 version. I can't see it being any better than on the tablet, I'd argue that using joysticks to choose your positioning in turn based games is less than optimal vs touch.

heringer

------

And dudes, you HAVE to check out Ire: Blood Memory. Remarkable game with what, so far, seems to be a very fair F2P system. This should have been premium with optional IAPs. It's short burst gaming but soooo good. Even carries over the "invasion" MP aspect from Dark Souls. The monsters are simply awesome.

It's difficult, but old school difficult vs pay to win so far. I've earned quite a bit of gold and you have to progress through the game just to buy certain things so I think the IAPs are truly optional.

So unless something changes later in the game, I hate to say it, I'm more excited about it than H&C 2.

For a free download, no reason not to give it a shot.

Nice! Can't wait to try. Just one hour left. :)

awp69

Nice! Can't wait to try. Just one hour left. :)

Got to the point where you can forge new weapons, armor, etc. (have to be level 5) and see there are some things where if you don't have an ingredient to do the forge it will give you the option to buy some with the premium gems, which so far I have not been able to earn. That said, I find things through gameplay and make sure to go to the challenges menu. You can get a lot of ingredients, gold and even equipment by completing tasks.

There seems to be a very deep upgrade system. And I have forged weapons powerful to get me through the first of five chapters.

So not worried (yet) about the F2P system. We'll see as I get further.

Edit:Looks like you can earn gems from some of the challenges.

awp69

Stole this from a other forum. Lengthy post by the dev of Ire. But he seems very genuine and also noted that IAPs will probably not be needed. I will definitely contribute to this dev's effort.

Originally Posted by mwryu View Post
TL;DR
1. A little bit about Tenbirds.
2. Feedback to comments:
- Premium: no
- IAP: yes
- Devices: iOS (iPhone 5 and up), Android (KitKat 4.4.2 and up. CM/custom mods have issues).
- Network: yes
- Multiplayer: no

--
Hello, everyone. This is OP.

Firstly, I really appreciate the replies. Time is a precious thing for everyone, and I am grateful that you took the time to take a gander at my post. I wanted to reply earlier, but I needed to take a step back and process.

Please allow me to tell you a little bit about us before the game. Apologies if I seem inarticulate. I am always a little unsure of my footing for the English language.

Tenbirds is a fledgling independent development studio and Ire is our first game. We started in February 2014 with 4ppl. New people are moving in, and that will bring our production to 9ppl. Tenbirds is still looking for an awesome UI/UX designer. We received no institutional investment up to now, just money out of our own pockets. We are also cautious about major publishers, though they offered large tasty chunks of cash. The vast majority of the companies that we met for publishing/investments wanted to acquire us and make us just port their IP, put in gameplay autopilot, IPA at every user action point (quintuple what we have right now), and put in interstitial ads in many of the intervals. We're not against ads and such, but it just didn't work with the flow of getting directly into combat.

We stayed away from the above the best we knew how. We can't say we know everything. That is where you and our previous testers come in. Our testers have been chipping in from the start. For example, the UI: We think we can make it a lot better, and are working on it internally. But, the cool thing is some of our testers feel they can do better. Several are sending us UI concepts, all overseas testers we don't know. Someone wants to help us with branding. That's amazing! These are all things we need. "Keep them coming, please and thank you." We're excited, and frankly a bit scared, that there are people out there as excited, and we want to make something worthy of your time. After all, we are gamers too!

We love showing up for work to make games. This is a dream come true. No it's not perfect, but Ire is that passion appified, gamified, and amplified. And we will stick to it, for better or for worse. We don't expect the path to be all flowers and sunshine, and it never was. Still isn't. One step at a time, right?

So that is a little bit about us. Back to the game.

Yes, we referenced a lot of DeS/DaS/MH, especially tight combat and controls. These are games we love! I've personally logged in more than 8000hrs on DaS. My colleagues won't let me play Bloodborne! You know, priorities. We wanted to bring a small part of that delicious experience to mobile, but we haven't met a large publisher-developer willing doing it [with us]. We will cite where we got clues from, not for sensationalism or to attract attention, but because we respect and revere them. And if you play Ire you will find that we've digested what was learnt and felt from superior games and interpreted things in our own way. We pay homage to our forerunners, our sunbaes. We also have to thank the people that we bought Unity Assets from.

We are all about games. But games don't make themselves. We need people who are interested in the game to be in the fold from Day1, much like some of our testers, and perhaps you. "One of us! One of us!" It's not as demanding as it sounds. I'm just saying what you say or do counts. Our gamers are part of us and solutions down the road. Look at the mobile game industry as a whole. I mean, many of you do agree that it could use a swift kick in the behind to shake things up. There are some things we had to stick to, until there are better ways of getting stuff done. So to answer some of the questions:

- Premium: Idea was swiftly crushed. "No one knows us, no one knows enough to care." That is a fact. Having a price point is a huge hurdle. That is a fact as well. The game is free to download. We wanted to get as many people to jump off the fences as possible. Give it a chance and decide.
- Monetization: Yes, there will be IPA, but most of you are not going to need it anyway if you utilize Challenges well. We blocked billing from our scheduled rollout and tested the balance to see how that affected gaming, and also between testers who had used IPA. We were thought of a Donation button but realized that it would be silly not to give you something for donations. We're not going to call it something it's not. Our rev model is exactly that: Microtransactions, In-App Purchases. /u/Spock4Pres, /u/Based Xatu called it.
- Supported devices: iOS (iPhone 5 and up) & Android (KitKat 4.4.2 and up. Won't run with CM12.1.)
- Network: Yes. 3G/LTE/Wi-Fi. You won't be using a lot of data, but still check your data plan.
- Multiplayer: Not at this time. If things go well... This is up for debate, because we already have a Player Vs. Player AI mode. Again, this depends on a lot of things.
- /u/dudewelcome: I see you removed your post. Thanks for posting. Reddit is a hard place to post.

Again, thank you all for checking this post out. Words cannot describe my gratitude. Have a great Labor Day and enjoy your weekends. DM me if you have any further questions! Cheers!

awp69

"Another forum"

Ah, yeah... Sadly

And actually have realized it originally was posted on Reddit.

Not sure about the comment on no multi-player. There is some sort of co-op / invasion thing. I actually had someone do it to me (helped me).

Haven't tried it myself. Maybe It's AI driven based on someone's character?

awp69

Just a heads up for anyone with an Android device. Sounds like Amazon is going to have another huge pack of apps for free tomorrow including Sorcery! 3.

Check this out. A freeware rags-to-riches strategy/sim from one of the devs of Threes
http://ashervo.itch.io/royals
2%2FESIz.png

Top Bottom