• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Vard

Please send me an invite if you want to play some Carc. I'm starting to run low on active games!

gamecentrist

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am really enjoying Samurai. More folks need to get in on this. Only person I have been able to get a game going with is Ray. Buy buy buy.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I am really enjoying Samurai. More folks need to get in on this. Only person I have been able to get a game going with is Ray. Buy buy buy.

AstroLad's been dying to play it, invite him. I'm waiting for a sale.

Yeah it really is a lot of fun. I ended up getting a couple other friends to pick it up too, so I went from just playing with Astro, to now having 5 active games! woo!

I decided to just buy Fealty as well, its uhhh...interesting...

mza_2397504723606114213.480x480-75.jpg

Its pretty damn ugly imo, its not like Samurai is a great lookin game either, but this is kinda bleh. The game itself seems ok, but I dunno! I understand how it works, but it seems kinda boring, haha.

HELP ME LIKE THIS GAME!

I dont think I wanna play Ascension with Anilones anymore :p It seems like hes got a card hack or something in just gets the cards he needs all the time :'(

Anilones

I dont think I wanna play Ascension with Anilones anymore :p It seems like hes got a card hack or something in just gets the cards he needs all the time :'(
I assure you it's luck. It's a reason I enjoy, and dislike, Ascension so much is the random factor.

I assure you it's luck. It's a reason I enjoy, and dislike, Ascension so much is the random factor.

Yeah, which is why im starting to like NightFall more and more, seems a lot less luck based!

Still though, RotF expansion in Ascension I feel fixed a lot of issues in the base game and made it less luck based. Love ascension still, and cant wait for the next expansion which should come out either super late this month, or next month. Just stop cheating man! :p HAX!

sladeums

Oh yeah ... Convenient.
Now that I'm fixin to give Anilones a beat down for the third time in a row "its all luck".
lol
;p

Oh yeah ... Convenient.
Now that I'm fixin to give Anilones a beat down for the third time in a row "its all luck".
lol
;p

It's definitely not all luck, but sometimes when everything your deck is built for killing/acquiring just happens to show up right under the other thing you needed it gets annoying. :p

It definitely goes both ways though, usually multiple times in each match too, so it works out in the end....most of the time, haha.

Anilones

Is it just me or are Goblins overpowered in Hero Academy?
Dwarfs seem a tad underpowered as well.
Certainly agree with this, I've only won one game against The Tribe and the Witch especially needs to be nerfed.

Playing against the Dwarves is generally easy once you've defeated the Annihilator. They could do with a further buff on firepower.

tm24

Not a fan of having the tank be a healer too for the dwarves. They should switch the engineers and paladin support skills.

Smiley90

Yeah, and they also lack a direct-resurrection thing like Council/Elves :/

butzopower

proud of his butz
Anyone else get spooked by the Carcassone notification? My iPad is behind me, and my back is near my window, and I just imagined a dude peaking in and whispering "It's your turn".

Smiley90

Anyone else get spooked by the Carcassone notification? My iPad is behind me, and my back is near my window, and I just imagined a dude peaking in and whispering "It's your turn".

It's creepy as hell, yes. I always have the sound turned off anyway, so I don't hear it too often :p

butzopower

proud of his butz
The PlayDeck notification sound is actually perfect.

The normal GameCenter one is obnoxious, though. Whenever I play TtR with my friend who is 2 hours ahead of me, he'll take a turn before he goes to work, and wake my ass up with that god damn trumpet noise.

sladeums

Yeeaaah. Good game!

And just keep playin with the expansion cards and you'll get many more wins.
I think I've only played with those cards a handful of times...haven't taken the effort to figure them, out yet ... seems like way more mechanics and deck jackaroundery on them than the base set.

Heel

Tested: The Perplexing Problem of Tablets and Digital Board Games

I can agree with this. I think a lot of people here have come to the same conclusion with games like Nightfall.

Honestly though, if a tutorial confuses you, you can always read the in-game manual or check out the manual for the physical game online. Well worth the minor inconvenience to me considering you get to skip setup, tabulating scores etc.

I guess in the end nothing is going to be a better substitute for getting a quick run-through of the physical game with a friend, though.

Tried to lure Norm and Will over to the thread for some games! Maybe they're lurking... :)

Tested: The Perplexing Problem of Tablets and Digital Board Games

Tried to lure Norm and Will over to the thread for some games! Maybe they're lurking... :)

I'd buy every game in the |OT| if they came to play with us.

Also, I think it is a very interesting problem but I've had little problem learning as I go and because of Asynchronous gameplay and how quick you can get through games it makes the idea of taking the time to learn a game much easier to handle. Winning when you go to a game night becomes much mor competitive vs going through a game on a tablet.

Let me know if I portrayed that clearly. I'm on my Phone and can't clarify as well as I would if I had my iPad or computer.

besada

Banned
I'm on the spreadsheet, finally. Of the listed games, I least want to play Hero Academy. I'm just played out on it. Totally down for some Caylus, Samurai, or TtR, though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
One problem with Samurai is that it seems whoever creates the game gets to go first, and that has to be an advantage. Starting player really should be randomized.

mercviper

One problem with Samurai is that it seems whoever creates the game gets to go first, and that has to be an advantage. Starting player really should be randomized.

Could treat it like they do with Hero Academy and only have loser rematch to gain advantage.

Anyway, in process of moving and won't have home wi-fi til thursday. Sorry about the delay for any games I'm in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey dudes been on vaca as well. Back in the city tonight then hone a couple days but then out of country Thursday through Thursday. Still trying to take turns off hours.

Anilones

Could treat it like they do with Hero Academy and only have loser rematch to gain advantage.

That's not true is it? If so, I lose every single game! Quite often I'll end up with two games with the same person as we both press Rematch. Actually irritates me as I frequently don't press Rematch expecting my opponent to, just not to have too many games ongoing.

mercviper

That's not true is it? If so, I lose every single game! Quite often I'll end up with two games with the same person as we both press Rematch. Actually irritates me as I frequently don't press Rematch expecting my opponent to, just not to have too many games ongoing.

To clarify, in the Hero Academy gaf thread, the rematch option is available to both parties, and the protocol is for the loser to rematch, since the person requesting the match in that game gets first turn, which is an advantage. Following this prevents parallel games, and handicaps the winner slightly to help the loser win, which makes sense to me.

I have not played Samurai yet, so I don't know how the app works in regards to rematching/how much an advantage the first turn gives you. I'm just suggesting a similar policy based on Yaboosh's statement, and do not mean to say that if you see the rematch option, you're considered the loser.

sladeums

Rejoice!

Someone involved w/ Playdek posted this over on TA, in re Nightfall :
We're working on an update that will render the cards in your hand in the reverse order, so the left side of each card will always be visible.

Smiley90

In European War 3 you will be a commander leading your soldiers to fight for resources, promote economic and industrial growth, develop new technology and seize opposing territory. Whenever deploying army, navy or air force, you need to take much thought due to their strength and weakness. Work on your defenses when you are in a weak position; build airport if you need air support. Fighting the battle could earn your forces experience and when they come to Ace Forces, their combat effectiveness would be impressive! It’s also important to upgrade your commander level as you would take the lead. European War 3 also gives you a choice among different modes like Empire, Campaign, Conquest and Multiplayer.

Empire Mode:
conquest among 8 empires with 40 campaigns.[British Empire, German Empire, the United States, Japanese Empire, Qing Dynasty, French Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empire]

Campaign Mode:
30 actual historical campaigns (choose any force you like)

Conquest Mode:
choose any country to compete in Asia, Europe and America for hegemony.

Multiplayer Mode:
player versus player, available in 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 format.

Features:
- 28 command cards make the battle full of change.
- 11 forces such as the army, navy and air force all have unique features.
- 32 nations are involved across Europe, Asia and America, 1271 administrative regions in total.
- Technology reaches up to five levels.
- Mini-map display
- The map can be zoomed in or zoomed out .
- 15 levels of rank promotion (from Private to Field Marshal)
- Auto-save

http://itunes.apple.com/app/european-war-3/id504300412?mt=8

This game was just realeased and looks really interesting?

Looks like it's an actual good strategy game with some dice-strategy elements and a map campaign?!? Does anyone know anything about the series, is it good?? It certainly looks extremely interesting, at least for someone like me who's been looking for a good Europa Universalis/Hearts of Iron on iOS, this seems like it could be fairly close (way less complex of course, but the same theme, idea and generally.)

It has 1v1/2v2/3v3 multiplayer and seems like Risk with a lot of additional things, so I thought it would fit being posted here? Some 3v3 could make for awesome games if it plays well. I don't know anything about it though, and toucharcade only has a few (althoughpositive) comments, about the game and the series... I might just buy it tonight to see how it is and give recommendations if noone else knows it.

Smiley90

Just as a reminder for everyone, a few top notch titles to be released in the next 1, 2 months:

Civilization: Through the Ages (from the guys who made T&E and Medici)
Rivals of Catan (the cardgame version of Settlers of Catan, I've been in love with the physical version of this for like 10 years)
Agricola & Summoner Wars (from Playdek)
Dominion (well... the devs are doing a REALLY crappy job communicating there, no news at all, but was supposed to come out in March... but NO news at all.)

What else?

EDIT: Race to the Galaxy is coming as well, here's the statement from Rio Grande games from SEPTEMBER:

We have also licensed Dominion’s digital rights and we expect it will be available in various forms by the end of the year. Race for the Galaxy will also appear in digital form in early 2012.

So yeah, by "the end of the year" they meant end of 2011. Haven't heard from them since, apart from a "coming in a few weeks" in february, haven't heard anything about race for the galaxy yet :(

Heel

Are they planning a multiplayer update for the plain old Catan? I wanna learn.

Wednesday...let the games begin! :)

bonesquad

Ipadboardgames has a nice list of upcoming games, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
http://ipadboardgames.org/upcoming-ipad-board-games-and-release-schedule/

I'm most looking forward to Summoner Wars and maybe Race for the Galaxy (if like Dominion it really is planned for release anytime soon).

Heavy euros like Agricola always seem interesting at first, but I quickly lose interest in all their resource gathering and fiddly bits. I know Through the Ages scares me as well (heck Roll Through the Ages which I somehow have on my phone confuses me:). Dominion and Thunderstone would be cool, but who knows when that will happen. Yet I still wait for them instead of getting the "inferior" Ascension or Nightfall which actually exist on iOS.

Neuroshima Hex's promised multiplayer might beat any of these though. Assuming it ever comes...

Ipadboardgames has a nice list of upcoming games, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.
http://ipadboardgames.org/upcoming-ipad-board-games-and-release-schedule/

I'm most looking forward to Summoner Wars and maybe Race for the Galaxy (if like Dominion it really is planned for release anytime soon).

Heavy euros like Agricola always seem interesting at first, but I quickly lose interest in all their resource gathering and fiddly bits. I know Through the Ages scares me as well (heck Roll Through the Ages which I somehow have on my phone confuses me:). Dominion and Thunderstone would be cool, but who knows when that will happen. Yet I still wait for them instead of getting the "inferior" Ascension or Nightfall which actually exist on iOS.

Neuroshima Hex's promised multiplayer might beat any of these though. Assuming it ever comes...

Having played async Agricola and a couple of games of TTA I can see games taking weeks to complete especially if the notifications are a bit wonky.
In Caylus there are probably going to be 10-20 moves, then provost moves, then choices on the buildings, building the castle, favours etc.
One whole round might have 30 individual turns (or more).
In Agricola when you get near the final phase you will have 4 or 5 farmers so near the end it will drag out a bit there too. (which isn't a criticism, might be easier if you can arrange to set aside time to play in advance)

Top Bottom