• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

It wasn't a blowout or anything at 17 points, and if I recall you beat me by a similar margin the first game. :) Right now I'm concerned with our current game where we were both playing chicken 'refusing' to buy/destroy anything from the center row, until your last turn. Sigh. I'm having flashbacks to the last few turns of our first game already...

How the hell is that playable on the iPhone? And I thought the buttons in Caylus were microscopic (and to be fair I bet Le Havre is still more playable than Caylus).

I just seem to be getting terrible sets of cards when my deck gets shuffled. I don't usually get a chance to play my games until I get home from work, so if you don't see me take any turns until the afternoon that's why.

mercviper

Bought Magic 2013. Love that game so much. Especially now that I can spend ONLY $10 for a smaller subset of cards that puts everyone on an equal field. I've already unlocked ~12 cards for my Chandra Nalaar deck. Whoo. Haven't checked out multi yet, but probably won't want to really play until I unlock enough cards to customize/optimize the starting decks better. Also didn't really check this, but do they let you affect the mana distribution in your decks now? (i.e. remove/add basic lands) I remember being miffed about deck customization in the 2012 version on steam but that may have been me being unable to remove regular deck cards and only add unlocked cards, throwing off mana curves and optimal deck building.

I couldn't see it either. They still have some kinks to work out. I got your invite though, Ray.

Maybe its server issues right now, I got a notification that it was my turn after smiley dropped his base, but when I go in game, it just shows him dropping it, then tells me hes offline, haha.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Maybe its server issues right now, I got a notification that it was my turn after smiley dropped his base, but when I go in game, it just shows him dropping it, then tells me hes offline, haha.

Really? I get the same thing... As in, got a message it was my turn again (after i'd dropped the base -pun), but it says Ray is offline LOL

EDIT: working fine now! :) this update made ns hex instantly better, GC support is so necessary.

Really? I get the same thing... As in, got a message it was my turn again (after i'd dropped the base -pun), but it says Ray is offline LOL

Im not a fan of this new issue! :p

Im trying to learn Le Havre too. its weird. UI stuff seems like T&E which isnt a good sign, since that game is pretty bad async.

Slacker

Smiley don't forget to end your turn in NS Hex. ;)

I'm working on Le Havre too. I'll send out a few invites once I know what I'm doing somewhat. :)

Is Magic 2012 worth learning? I find myself having a hard time getting into it, mainly because Ascension is so damn excellent.

Smiley don't forget to end your turn in NS Hex. ;)

I'm working on Le Havre too. I'll send out a few invites once I know what I'm doing somewhat. :)

Is Magic 2012 worth learning? I find myself having a hard time getting into it, mainly because Ascension is so damn excellent.

I think you figured it out :p

Smiley90

I ended my turn everytime man, the notifications are wonky.

Also, sweet game, hopefully we can get some more going now that it has GC support. Everyone login at least once so your account gets linked and you can be invited!

I ended my turn everytime man, the notifications are wonky.

Also, sweet game, hopefully we can get some more going now that it has GC support. Everyone login at least once so your account gets linked and you can be invited!

NO!!! it was your fault! dont deny it! :p

At least it works really well when everyone is online, haha. hopefully it was just a server hiccup and all of that stuff will get sorted out asap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
review of le havre on bgg: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/11337/ios-review-and-release-le-havre

Everyone is basically giving this perfect scores -- I'm guessing because the underlying game is so good.

This gives me some confidence:

Once you have mastered the monster which is Le Havre you can enjoy hours of play either offline versus local opponents or AI, or you can hop online and challenge friends or strangers. This app features async online play using Game Center. This time around Codito has created a whole graphical interface around the Game Center API giving the app a polished look. Before sending invites you can set up the entire game including how many players to include, whether to include AI players etc. Once invites have been sent you go straight into the game and either play or await your turn. You receive push notifications timely when your turn arrives. Rather than the somewhat confusing Game Center interface, the app has a well laid out list of your games in progress and says if it is your turn. The online play seemed to function well in my opinion, however, because I have been playing before launch I have yet to experience a full server. One small quibble is that if you are not online when another player makes their move, you will not see the action. In the menu there is a move log you can check and of course the location of the players worker will show you where they went. If you are a fan of Le Havre and like async online play this app is a perfect fit for you.

Get on it iOS BG GAF!

Smiley90

review of le havre on bgg: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/11337/ios-review-and-release-le-havre

Everyone is basically giving this perfect scores -- I'm guessing because the underlying game is so good.

This gives me some confidence:

Once you have mastered the monster which is Le Havre you can enjoy hours of play either offline versus local opponents or AI, or you can hop online and challenge friends or strangers. This app features async online play using Game Center. This time around Codito has created a whole graphical interface around the Game Center API giving the app a polished look. Before sending invites you can set up the entire game including how many players to include, whether to include AI players etc. Once invites have been sent you go straight into the game and either play or await your turn. You receive push notifications timely when your turn arrives. Rather than the somewhat confusing Game Center interface, the app has a well laid out list of your games in progress and says if it is your turn. The online play seemed to function well in my opinion, however, because I have been playing before launch I have yet to experience a full server. One small quibble is that if you are not online when another player makes their move, you will not see the action. In the menu there is a move log you can check and of course the location of the players worker will show you where they went. If you are a fan of Le Havre and like async online play this app is a perfect fit for you.

Get on it iOS BG GAF!

Are there iphone UI reviews/impressions? I'm scared...

Are there iphone UI reviews/impressions? I'm scared...
I'm playing the tutorial which is ok so far.
Not quite Dwarf Fortress but there is a lot of data on screen and the iconography is hard to distinguish. (so far - I'm hoping it will make sense later). I will need to go into the rules after as I don't know the game that well.
I think if it was Agricola I'd be ok as I know the game a lot better and know what to expect.

I usually try and zoom in these situations but I'm not sure if it will let me do this.
More later.
Edit: no zoom. I'm going to need one of those jewellers eye pieces :p

Heel

Well, just picked up the two "10 games in a row" achievements in Ascension. Ready for my tournament games Slacker! :)

Apparently I haven't acquired and defeated every card in the base set. I wonder what I'm missing...

octobot

Close game 1, final score Octobot 85 - Sladeums 80

Game 2 Sladeums 64 - Octobot 51

Game 3 Sladeums destroys with a 94 - 66 victory

Game 4 I bounce back! Octobot 99 - Sladeums 68

Heel

Game 1: Heel 96 - Slacker 72
Game 2: Heel 95 - Slacker 68
Game 3: Heel 102 - Slacker 53 (I got the "You must be Aaron" achievement by defeating Samael with the Avatar that showed up on my last turn...crazy!)

Good games Slacker!

http://challonge.com/neogafascension

NeoGAFAscension.png

Slacker

Lol... Believe it or not I have played Ascension before, Heel. You wouldn't know it by my play tonight. >__< Now I know how OKC feels.

Heel

Lol... Believe it or not I have played Ascension before, Heel. You wouldn't know it by my play tonight. >__< Now I know how OKC feels.

Hahaha had the game on in the backround while we played. That last turn I had was crazy man, never thought I'd get that achievement. I've never seen both cards in play at the same time.

Slacker

So who's up for a Carcassonne tourney? I can set this one up on Challonge if there's not someone on it already.

- Single game against each opponent?
- Seed by ELO rating? Or just random seeding?
- 16 players? 32? Or just whatever random number signs up?
- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?

eznark

Banned
I got knocked out of the Ascension tourney almost as fast as if I wasn't in at all. :p So who's up for a Carcassonne tourney? I can set this one up on Challonge.

- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?

I'm in!

Sorry about my Ascension game, seems like lambdabutt and I are on different schedules. Also, lambdabutt?

Its telling me its my turn in NH Smiley, but then it says your offline again :(

WHY THEY FIX WITH MORE BROKEN THING! BLARGIN BLOOP!!!

Also, you should probably take your turns in ticket to ride sometime this month....

So who's up for a Carcassonne tourney? I can set this one up on Challonge if there's not someone on it already.

- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?

I would play too.

blahness

- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?

Count me in!

Single game would be easier to track and I am down for base or any expansions.

Speaking of tourneys, do we have enough Nightfall players to hold one?

CzarTim

- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?

In!

Smiley90

- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?

Best of 3 games or single games

Seed by elo

See how many sign up, if a lot more than 16 but not quite 32, give the top seeds a bye for the first round

Base game.

Heel

An actual post on Le Havre from BGG:

Looks good. Going through tutorial. Then i got to the slaughterhouse. Is this realy necessary, especially in 2012? Is the designer living in a bubble created in 1863?

Couldn't it be a vegetable or fruit farm, koala bear sanctuary? I love how its called 'Abatoir'. Then you read the description and it says "all cattle being slaughtered..." Nice! Not even an attempt to tone it down. Like 'kaiserschnitt'. (the king of cuts = c section) Classic German/Euro. Could not have used the word 'processed'?

Yes, it's just a game, but it's still really disappointing to see gameplay involving slaughterhouses, especially if you are vegetarian and a part time Peta undercover agent. This is the kind of building I take photos of from the inside, so it's a bit grating to have to use it this way. Maybe I can talk to Uwe about making a game based on what I've seen.

Fun fun fun! Rosenberg could not think of any kind of substitute? The playtesters demanded it? "good game, Uwe, but it is missing something. There is no killing, no slaughtering, no building where i can process hides to give to my wife to wear when we go to Octoberfest."

It was deemed essential for gameplay? i know rosenberg is German and many Germans get ill at the very thought of vegetables, but this is called 'living in a bubble design'. I am German, lived there, and all my relatives and family are the same way with meat. It is as essential to them as water. More so, actually. It is part of the same problem we had with Agricola. Does every one of Rosenberg's games involve animal slaughter in some way? Is this his passion? "I can't get enough meat! I need to create more games that let me think of meat, how to kill it, process it, wear it, buy it, sell it...what is that you say? Turn the building into a potato farm? Are you mad? Where is the fun in that?"

Here is how this played out. I went through tutorial with my wife. We got to the slaughterhouse description, which I read aloud. She was not impressed. Turned her off the entire game immediately, before we even played it once. If I get her to play it now she is already predisposed to never use the slaughterhouse or buy it.

Sure it is a small part of the game, one of many buildings, but why put it there in the first place? Why turn off what is potentially a large part of your customer base with such an outmoded gaming mechanic/function? Maybe include an option to switch that building into a potato farm or kitty playground. Anything that makes it easier to bring more people into the gsme. I have friends that run a rescue farm for animals. Do you think they are ever going to show enthusiasm for playing a game that incorporates a cattle slaughterhouse?

Like I said, the game itself looks like fun, but is marred by this completely unnecessary building. It could have been anything else. So Codito, how about considering this for your next update.

Calling this 'living in a bubble design' for that reason is silly. 'Living in a bubble design' would be creating a game based on reality in which you pretend certain things don't exist because they bother you.

Sorry, don't buy it. If he is going for reality, then why not include an Apple sweatshop, a church that rapes children, etc. Cattle slaughter obviously does not bother Rosenberg. It's, like my relatives, as inoffensive as drinking water. He is living in a sensitivity bubble, completely oblivious that incorporating animal slaughter in a game is offensive to many people. I can understand this kind of game design fifty years ago, but when did this come out? 2009? There is no excuse for this. It's a building that could be anything else. Would people have bought this game without the slaughterhouse and really said, "WTF? Where is the meat and slaughtering of the meat? Uwe, you let me DOWN. You showed hints of promise with Agricola, but now you nave taken out the only thing that matters. Potato farm? What? This has ruined the game for me. Rating:2.5."
iuUg77RZIq9pI.gif

kennah

Just lost the first game against Vard by 30 points. I rage closed and didn't catch the final score. I think it was 90something - 60something. Off to a great start! :)

- Base game? Expansions?

What do you guys think?
Yes please. I'm fine with base or expansions but it's probably easier to set up a base tourney to start with.

Slacker

We can spin the Carcassonne tourney up slowly. If we get started in a day or two most people will be knocked out of the Ascension stuff anyway. :)

Here's who I have so far (help me fill in the blanks):

GAF Carcassonne Tourney - June 2012

GAF (Game Center) ELO (in signup order, not seed)
1. Slacker (Slacker) 1131
2. eznark (eznark) 1353
3. Got the Shakes (Got the Shakes)
4. blahness
5. CzarTim (CzarTim) 1343
6. Smiley90 (Smiley1790)
7. superrobot
8. tm24 (mightytm24)

Want to play? We need:

Username:
GC Username:
Carcassonne ELO:

I think one game matches with vanilla Carcassone is probably the way to go. We'll figure out how many players we have on our hands once we see how many people want to play. I'm OK seeded or random, too.

Smiley90

We can spin the Carcassonne tourney up slowly. If we get started in a day or two most people will be knocked out of the Ascension stuff anyway. :)

GAF (Game Center) ELO
Slacker (Slacker) 1131
eznark (eznark) 1353
Got the Shakes (Got the Shakes)
blahness
CzarTim (CzarTim) 1343
Smiley90 (Smiley1790)
superrobot
tm24 (mightytm24)

Want to play? We need:

Username:
GC Username:
Carcassonne ELO:

I think one game matches with vanilla Carcassone is probably the way to go. We'll figure out how many players we have on our hands once we see how many people want to play.

Friend-ELO, right? If so, 1262

2. eznark (eznark) 1353
4. blahness
6. Smiley90 (Smiley1790)
7. superrobot
8. tm24 (mightytm24)

Want to play? We need:

Username:
GC Username:
Carcassonne ELO:

I think one game matches with vanilla Carcassone is probably the way to go. We'll figure out how many players we have on our hands once we see how many people want to play. I'm OK seeded or random, too.

My friend ELO is 1221.

mercviper

2. eznark (eznark) 1353
4. blahness
6. Smiley90 (Smiley1790)
7. superrobot
8. tm24 (mightytm24)

Want to play? We need:

Username:
GC Username:
Carcassonne ELO:

Mercviper(mercviper)

Top Bottom