• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like they should have redesigned the face of the device a little more. Even something like a slightly smaller home button with a clickier mechanism to pull off those triple clicks quicker coupled with a more industrial looking speaker grill would have done wonders. Hell, maybe truly make the screen go all the way to the edge. Not the edge of the phone, but the edge of the glass. I spy an unseemly dark black little crack in between the edge of the panel and the beginning if the bezel.

Those changes would have truly elevated this to "reboot/all new/this ain't your daddies iPhone" levels.

Striking design, but not all the way there.

is AT&T the only carrier that allows you to talk and use the internet at the same time, or has 4G/LTE fixed this problem?

cause i have AT&T now and i really really really really hate them.
With the iPhone 4 I did not want to get rid of AT&T because of that reason despite my disdain for them. I am switching to Verzion for the iPhone 5 because for me 4G LTE > surfing and talking at the same time. AT&T's 4G LTE coverage in the Philadelphia area is non-existant.

I'm starting to think the upgrade is only useful to people still under contract who want a new phone sooner than later.

They'd have to pay the upgrade fee while in contract, whereas, if you're out of contract but still paying, you don't have to pay the fee. Or at least, I didn't have to pay the extra $18 to upgrade.

Dial *639# and then call. You should get a text from AT&T talking about your plan status. In the text, they'll mention if you have to pay a fee or not.

Sky Chief

LTE is a huge upgrade. I have a Galaxy Nexus and being on 3G is a painful experience. This feature alone makes the iPhone 5 by far the best iPhone on the market and should make any rational person go for it over the 4 or 4S even if they could get them for free.

Other than that though nothing exciting to see here. Looks like Apple has ALMOST feature matched my phone that has been out for 10 months now.

If I was looking for a new phone I would certainly consider the iPhone 5 now that iOS has turn-by-turn navigation and I would definitely recommend it to most people but there is nothing here that makes me lust after this phone or even think "hey, that's really cool."

rinse82

sonuva....

I work at Rogers (one of the big telcos here) and they just sent a company-wide email saying they weren't going to process any employee pre-orders for the initial launch period until they satisfy consumer demand.

raaaaaaaaaaaaaage

I wonder if I can pre-order with Apple and still do the upgrade in-store.

Fularu

Banned
3.5" 960 x 640 LED backlit LCD - iPhone 4/4S
4" 1136 x 640 LED backlit LCD - iPhone 5

The res is not the same.

Your icons/text/pages won't be more precise, better defined. For all intents and purpose it's the same resolution, with just slighty more screen estate. The vertical resolution is still the same. A resolution increase allows for finer/more detailed articles. It would have been better if they went for 720p instead of that terrible choice they made

TommyT

sonuva....

I work at Rogers (one of the big telcos here) and they just sent a company-wide email saying they weren't going to process any employee pre-orders for the initial launch period until they satisfy consumer demand.

raaaaaaaaaaaaaage

I wonder if I can pre-order with Apple and still do the upgrade in-store.

Have someone preorder for you. Or just go through Apple.com's store?

I just wish I could order this already.

I don't need it the first week or anything. It's the not knowing when I'm getting it that's bothering me.

And taking care of all the switching to Verizon stuff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Your icons/text/pages won't be more precise, better defined. For all intents and purpose it's the same resolution, with just slighty more screen estate. The vertical resolution is still the same. A resolution increase allows for finer/more detailed articles. It would have been better if they went for 720p instead of that terrible choice they made
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The ppi is the same. The resolution is most assuredly increased. For all intents and purposes the resolution is higher.

Can I get unlocked iphone5 in US without contract?

There is a store here in NYC that sells them unlocked but they are expensive. I believe they deliver...haven't been there in a few years though.

EDIT: Here is their site...
http://www.mobilecityonline.com/

They are unlocked imports though so not sure if 3g/4g etc will work here or what. It's a legit store. Been there in person and brought from there a bunch of times.

zZz

ibz6JLXisFcqcz.gif

Hahaha. I'm really disappointed, I expected some major things, especially since it was the "next" big iPhone upgrade.

BFIB

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The ppi is the same. The resolution is most assuredly increased. For all intents and purposes the resolution is higher.

Resolution is increased, 1136X640 I believe.

knitoe

There is a store here in NYC that sells them unlocked. Well they did with previous ones but they were really expensive. I believe they deliver...haven't been there in a few years though so they may not even exist...goes off to Google.

EDIT: Here is their site...
http://www.mobilecityonline.com/

They are unlocked imports though so not sure if 3g/4g etc will work here or what. It's a legit store. Been there in person and brought from there a bunch of times.

After Apple started selling the iphone 4 for the full price, every full price iphone have all been factory unlock since then. Don't need to go through 3rd party.

MrFortyFive

I've been nursing my Droid X for far too long now. The 5 isn't quite the upgrade I was expecting from the 4s, but it's damn well enough for me to jump ship.

Apples team still does a amazing things hardware wise. Not regretting switching teams though. I'm glad people will finally get over the 3.5 is perfect nonsense.

J-Rzez

Surprisingly underwhelming. Thought they'd have something new and hip. Either they're stumped, or they're just too concerned with playing it safe and just keep cashing in on the name. I thought maybe this would be the one to switch me from Samsung/Sony/Motorola products, but guess that's not the case, and I'll be hanging onto my Nexus a while longer.

Diagol

Does anyone know exactly at what time Apple will start doing the pre-orders on their site (or at least, based off history, what time they did it last year)? 12:01 AM EST on the 14th?

If apple do not up their game soon they will get demolished, Galaxy SIII success shows that and fundamentally mid range android phones at half the price of iPhone are fairly equivalent in terms functionality, Apple need to be careful to not repeat their own history with the Macintosh.

Since you want to bring up history, I thought I would let you know that your statement is exactly the same thing tech pundits have been saying for over 10 years, except with "iPhone" plugged into the copy instead of iMac, iTunes, iPod, iPad, etc.

ari

Banned
I could have held my own iPhone 5 presser with one gif:

qhsT4.gif

haha, exactly what i was thinking. Iphone 5 doing stuff the android market was doing for the last 3 years. i love how catching up is the new revolution for apple now and days.

Can I get unlocked iphone5 in US without contract?

I got an unlocked 4S in the US, but they came out a month after the regular launch. I haven't seen anything about an unlocked 5 but I imagine it's going to be the same scenario. Although you could get an unlocked 4S at launch by buying an off contract phone at full price, for some reason they came unlocked.

BFIB

haha, exactly what i was thinking. Iphone 5 doing stuff the android market was doing for the last 3 years. i love how catching up is the new revolution for apple now and days.

This is a post Steve Jobs Apple now.

Seems more like an off year update than a true revision. I guess I'll get one as my contracts up and I can pretty much pay for it by selling my old phone but it's not the most exciting update ever.

RivalCore

Looking forward to getting rid of my dying HTC Desire.

The manufacturing shots sold me on it, I'm a sucker for those details.

Top Bottom