• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

zeioIIDX

zZz

ibz6JLXisFcqcz.gif

This is killing me XD I do love the design of the black/slate iPhone but this just isn't a big enough upgrade to make me want to trade in my iPhone 4s or anything. I can already create an extra row of icons, my phone is jailbroken :/ The usual incremental upgrades to the camera and .5 more inches added to the screen...meh. I guess the A6 will be nice.

def sim

Someone please remember this post, so in a few years when Apple switch to 4.5" screens we see him saying 4.5" is the perfect size.

He is being facetious judging from his previous posts.

Anyway, sure are a lot of poo poo on Apple threads today. Classy stuff.

Cipherr

....yyyeah. So the good thing is the screen is actually flush with the frame. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my 4s, don't need a longer one. See you in another year, apple.

Josh and Nilay are trying so hard on the Vergecast right now to not be cruel. Its hilarious watching them tip toe around commenting on the phone.

Okay, so basically you don't have to pay for your line being activated etc?

Yep. Basically, if you're using the phone now to call/text, despite being off-contract, AT&T already knows your line's active so no need to re-activate. And yes, I was paranoid too after I got my 4S so I went to the AT&T store and asked them too; they basically said that I was only to pay the cost of the phone (which I did) and not be charged anything else as my contract had been 'renewed' when I upgraded.

Also on apple.com, you can get your status of your account once you enter your information. Such as, if you're in a contract but want to upgrade, the phone will be listed usually a higher price than that of the base price. But if you want to talk to someone at AT&T, they can help you too obviously.

isny

napkin dispenser
Really interested in the new earbud quality.

The phone looks great, but the homescreen layout for iOS is still a little frustrating for me. That's the one big advantage I think Android has over it. I can have widgets that show me important information right there, right away.

Still, I am ready to go Apple for my next phone. Too many minor frustrations with my droid.

This. Anybody picked up a pair at an Apple store yet today?

Damn, barely any changes and isheep are fawning over it. Oh well, one day they will wake up.

Dat Panoramic Photo man!

Or use wifi and Bluetooth like everyone else, for everything but charging (which doesn't require the adaptor). It's a legacy adaptor. Like the wifi dongle, and the new MBP power adaptor. Trolls making something of nothing, news at 11.

I spent a good amount of money on a doc and another chunk of change on the car charger/aux input. None of those will work without this adapter. This isn't just trolls doing their thing. That's another $60 I have to spend just to upgrade my phone. Of which the pricing didn't change from the last model. No extra space ... nothing. Like 16 gigs of harddrive space should be worth 100$ ....

What was once a sure purchase has now changed to being up in the air about getting the S3 instead.

The ONLY thing that's still pulling me after this showing is the APP store and how entrenched I am in it.

To me ... this felt like what the 4S should have been. I wouldn't have even got that phone and just kept my 4 but I had just recently lost it.

Fularu

Banned
Longer, higher res, faster processor/GPU, aluminum back (instead of breakable glass), better color reproduction on the screen (if I'm remembering the presentation correctly) etc.

Res is the same, you just get more estate because the screen is longer, vertical res remaining the same. For my current phone use, the increased power is hardly relevant but I guess that's "new".

My iPhone 4 is 2 years old and the back glass isn't even scratched.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yep. Basically, if you're using the phone now to call/text, despite being off-contract, AT&T already knows your line's active so no need to re-activate. And yes, I was paranoid too after I got my 4S so I went to the AT&T store and asked them too; they basically said that I was only to pay the cost of the phone (which I did) and not be charged anything else as my contract had been 'renewed' when I upgraded.

Also on apple.com, you can get your status of your account once you enter your information. Such as, if you're in a contract but want to upgrade, the phone will be listed usually a higher price than that of the base price. But if you want to talk to someone at AT&T, they can help you too obviously.

I'm starting to think the upgrade is only useful to people still under contract who want a new phone sooner than later.

Gaaraz

The 5 will be a huge upgrade and will run great and you'll appreciate the expanded screen size. Android has plenty of great apps for phones. It will depends on which if you're looking for very specific apps/games that on the Apple Store for it to make much of a difference.

For me it doesn't matter because all the Google Apps are 13492092 times better (that's probably changing soon though) and the apps that I actually care about run well (flipboard, facebook messenger, plume, etc). Games wise yes iOS apparently destroys Android, but I've been able to still find great games (have over 40 installed some even exclusive I think).
You're not wrong, thank you - I guess either phone would be a very nice upgrade right now so it does depend on how big a draw the app store is.

I don't really play many (if any) games right now, even on my iPhone/iPad, but when I do play games it's almost always on my phone, so for that reason I think I'd miss the app store. I love reading through the iOS app threads (both gaming and non-gaming) on here too.

Zeth

Really can't deny it's an engineering marvel. That manufacturing promo video is incredible. Excited to hold it myself.

Damn, barely any changes and isheep are fawning over it. Oh well, one day they will wake up.

i think its adorable people still use "isheep" or "xbot" or any of those names to refer to someone that likes a product they dont. lol. you even managed to include "waking up" in your post.

grow up child

I don't understand how this kind of system warz flamebait is bannable on the Gaming side but tolerated here.

mobile/OS wars is really like console wars for adults.

SmokyDave

That's a good analogy. And speaking of the 62 250GTO, I saw one in London a few days ago. Had to pick my jaw up off of the pavement.
You lucky devil!

Someone please remember this post, so in a few years when Apple switch to 4.5" screens we see him saying 4.5" is the perfect size.
I think most of us have better things to do. Why don't you put it in your calendar?

Fuck me. School's out!

LordCanti

Res is the same, you just get more estate because the screen is longer, vertical res remaining the same. For my current phone use, the increased power is hardly relevant but I guess that's "new".

My iPhone 4 is 2 years old and the back glass isn't even scratched.

3.5" 960 x 640 LED backlit LCD - iPhone 4/4S
4" 1136 x 640 LED backlit LCD - iPhone 5

The res is not the same.

Cipherr

Wha? I thought they liked it?

They dont hate it or anything. They are just being extremely frank.

"Theres no good new major iOS6 feature at all like there were in past major iOS releases."

"Its very very iterative."

"I'm surprised they aren't pushing the software forward, the mobile industry is moving faster than they are."

"Well, it was boring...."

"I think there is just so much more they can do with the software, I'm surprised that they didn't."

"Would have been nice if they had leapfrogged the status quo, but nothing they showed today was even remotely new."
"I mean they showed panorama... you can get that for $1 on the app store."

They aren't saying they hate the phone, they even suggest it as an update to the 4, just not the 4S. They called it "pretty much the same thing you have in your pocket if you own the 4S". Its live right now on their site.

There area fuck ton of changes for users like me that don't upgrade their phone every 4 months. I'm still using my iPhone 4 and there are a FUCK TON of changes between the 4 and 5.

With that said I'm also considering the S3. I love iOS as far as how it works between my macbook and apple tv but hot damn the UI is getting stale.

Anyone with anything less than a 4S will really enjoy the update.

Less than a 4 and you'll be fucking mind blown. Unless if money is tight or you don't like gadgets, the iPhone 5/4S is a must.

sweet. Been holding off on updating my contract from my sim only 3gs for awhile.
Interested in what the prices will be in the UK.

iNvid02

gotta go in store to see this in my hands before i order, my hands might not like the new size

plus my network isnt sure on how its gonna handle nano sims yet either

and i gotta look into an adapter for my speakers/dock

i actually might stay with my 4s tbh

can we expect anything new next week regarding ios6? or is everything important already been announced like passbook, new maps, etc?

Emily Chu

Banned
3.5" 960 x 640 LED backlit LCD - iPhone 4/4S
4" 1136 x 640 LED backlit LCD - iPhone 5

The res is not the same.

4.65" 1280x720 Galaxy Nexus

10x10 icons on the home screen for a total of 100 icons and a status bar and no Nav Bar.

whats with the fucked up resolution ? 1136x640 wtf ?
step your game up iPhone...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm seriously thinking of selling my iPhone 4 on eBay and buying an iPhone 5 outright. The main reason is 4G LTE! Seriously, 3g speeds for sprint are slow as fuck, and thankfully there's 4G LTE where I live.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So what OS stuff are iphone 5 exclusive outside of the 'taller screen' benefits? Is panaromaic?
1.Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation are available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.

2.Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply.

3.FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.

4.Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.

5.Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.

6.Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).

7. Find My iPhone and Find My Friends enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan.

iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), or iPad; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.

Starbucks pass is coming soon.

Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. Click here to see complete list.

Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

I'm seriously thinking of selling my iPhone 4 on eBay and buying an iPhone 5 outright. The main reason is 4G LTE! Seriously, 3g speeds for sprint are slow as fuck, and thankfully there's 4G LTE where I live.
I have a 4S and I want to upgrade just for LTE. Do itttt.

sarcastor

is AT&T the only carrier that allows you to talk and use the internet at the same time, or has 4G/LTE fixed this problem?

cause i have AT&T now and i really really really really hate them.

I have a 4 and passed on the 4s cuz I was expecting as big a leap from the 5 as the 4 was over OG iPhone. I'll prob get this because my battery has gotten pretty bad, but I can't say I'm impressed.

alphaNoid

Banned

Every single site I've visited today has even Apple fans disappointed with the iPhone 5. Even Apple fan sites are littered with upset loyalists.

GAF is the only web site I've visited where the blind are still blind.

is AT&T the only carrier that allows you to talk and use the internet at the same time, or has 4G/LTE fixed this problem?

LTE fixes the issue. AT&T was using GSM/GPRS networks that had voice and data on separate wireless bands, which allowed for that feature. Verizon was using older CDMA tech which did not allow for that, it was either or. But with LTE now, you can use data and be on a call at the same time.

Leave AT&T

PaulLFC

The last iPhone I owned was the 3GS, so this upgrade is huge for me. I can see how it's not a massive step up from the 4S though.

Will Apple likely remove the Pay as you Go options when ordering the phone? I'm in the UK and you can select a PAYG pack with the 4S. I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if I can preorder an iPhone 5 with one though.

I have the 3GS so I'm upgrading. As with all Apple stuff we only upgrade every other version. My wife is on the 4S and will get the next iPhone 6 next year, then I'll get the 7 and so on.

mooooose

First time I didn't really care about a new Apple product. They shouldn't have made the 4S. Would've made the 5 seem bigger.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Asking again: Can we expect iPhone 5 rate plans to be the same as they are for the 4S in the US?

Sean

Banned

I'm interested in knowing this as well. Thinking of switching from AT&T to Verizon but would like to know of any drawbacks first.

Top Bottom