• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Bgamer90

Banned
What exactly did people want? LTE, bigger screen and more battery life in a thin-as-fuck unibody case. I don't understand the disappointment.

I don't either. A good number of people that were disappointed were the same ones saying that the iPhone needs a bigger screen and LTE.

So what would it take for you to be excited by any phone from any manufacturer?

Android continues to repel me, honestly. There's absolutely nothing appealing about it.

Windows Phone 8, however, seems genuinely cool. If I weren't tied to the AppStore (a huge problem for MS) I'd consider grabbing one of the new Lumia phones.

This whole connection to whichever platform you started with is a REAL problem.

Saying it "repels" you is hyperbolic and silly because Android is fully customisable, so if you don't like something then you can replace it... completely.

Oxn

What exactly did people want? LTE, bigger screen, in-cell touch LCD, improved camera and more battery life in a thin-as-fuck unibody case. I don't understand the disappointment.

Im a huge apple critic, I like almost everything about the ip5 except for the huge top and botton bezel. If they made it closer in length to the ip4 it would look even better.

either way i think its time to jump on board.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My friend just old me he hates this announcment because it doesn't involve anything he's never heard of.

twofold

I don't understand what people want from phones nowadays. Nearly every phone is an incremental update and there are very few technologies that can "wow" me.

This is a great upgrade and a worthy successor to the 4S. I'll be grabbing one as soon as there is a working untethered ios6 jailbreak (can't live without my Cydia tweaks!).

It seems like most people who use wireless charging have just replaced a usb plug with a power mat that's plugged into the wall.

The point is you don't have to fiddle to charge your phone. You just put it on the mat and you're done. It's something that I've always felt was neat since the Palm days. You can still charge it the old way, but when you come home, it's nice to just drop it on the power charger without any fiddling.

What exactly did people want? LTE, bigger screen, in-cell touch LCD, improved camera and more battery life in a thin-as-fuck unibody case. I don't understand the disappointment.

Seriously, if this had NFC it would have everything that the top Android phones have, I really don't see how people can be disappointed in this update.

Oxn

What I wish they included was that back Loop mount included on the itouch and put it in the ip5 as well.

Great OP, artist. Would read again. Nice and clean and takes me straight to the iphone 5 video that lets me quickly realize nothing new happened.

Bgamer90

Banned
doesn't hurt that from screens and previews, iphone 5 hasn't lost it's sexy status.

ios6 on the other hand....

iOS6 is fine IMO. Not the best looking operating system but the way it looks adds on to its ease of use and fast navigation and performance.

That's not to say that I wouldn't prefer a new UI that looks better but change for the sake of change is pointless to me. I would rather they focus on making the overall experience of using the phone faster.

Looks only go so far...

the thought of having to spend time and energy customizing an OS to look the way I want it to actually repels me...

So don't? Nobody is forcing you to. People can use Android in its stock form. It's like complaining that Apple lets change the wallpaper and ring tones.

Looks so damn solid and strong. Wish I never got my galaxy nexus back in June. Should have just stuck with my old tracfone then upgraded now. Gat damn, it is truly a beast with real racing 3. Personally, I'm very satisfied.

george_us

Anyone with anything less than a 4S will really enjoy the update.

Less than a 4 and you'll be fucking mind blown. Unless if money is tight or you don't like gadgets, the iPhone 5/4S is a must.
Yeah I'm still on a 4 so I'll probably get this.

iOS6 is fine IMO. Not the best looking operating system but the way it looks adds on to its ease of use and fast navigation and performance.

That's not to say that I wouldn't prefer a new UI that looks better but change for the sake of change is pointless to me. I would rather they focus on making the overall experience of using the phone faster.

Looks only go so far...

Funny enough, I always found ios has gotten more cluttered and harder to use (for average joe) since... 4 or 5.

LCfiner

So don't? Nobody is forcing you to. People can use Android in its stock form. It's like complaining that Apple lets change the wallpaper and ring tones.

I don't. the point is that someone said Android "repels" them. someone else said you can change anything you don't like.

I replied that making that kind of effort is not something that is appealing to everyone. specifically me, but i know i'm not alone.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't understand what people want from phones nowadays. Nearly every phone is an incremental update and there are very few technologies that can "wow" me.

This is basically the point, I think. We're at the stage now where phones all have 4G, all have good screens, all have good enough point and shoot cameras... everyone is really just iterating on a theme.

Ironically I would say we're in the same rut we were in back in 2005/2006 before the iPhone came out. Everyone iterating on a formula.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think next year Apple needs a major iOS overhaul to really wow people.

I am still very curious to see if Apple goes any bigger than a 4" screen in the next few years.

was thinking about getting this or the S3 or note II...

This phone looks sexy and the features are cool, but at this point I would only get the iphone 5 for the hardware, the OS is so dated and after getting the nexus after having every iphone before the 4s it just seems like I would be going backwards.

Its amazing how sexy their hardware always looks though.

This.. IOS Is a dinosaur

Weenerz

Banned

The disappointed, are the same idiots that did not like the 4s.

I don't. the point is that someone said Android "repels" them. someone else said you can change anything you don't like.

I replied that making that kind of effort is not something that is appealing to everyone. specifically me, but i know i'm not alone.

Sorry, missed the context. I have to think though that if Android offered features not available in iOS and those features are compelling enough, the stock look shouldn't be a barrier because it is customizable. But I agree, customizing isn't for everyone.

Bgamer90

Banned
Funny enough, I always found ios has gotten more cluttered and harder to use (for average joe) since... 4 or 5.

I can understand that.

They have added features over the years that have caused certain menu screens to feel claustrophobic.

The bigger screen will help though.

Impressed by the performance. He's going in and out of apps, taking pictures in rapid succession and not a single hitch.

Smooth.

The thing though is every iPhone performs like that when it's brand new. You get hitches as you use it more. My iPhone 4 used to be snappy in bringing up the camera. Now it lags again, even after they "fixed" it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm always baffled that people think going from 3G to 4G is nothing. It's like 10 times faster and changes everything when you have Wi-Fi like speeds from anywhere you go.

Cromat

Apple's biggest problem is that the iPhone 4 is too good... I see no reason to upgrade for the foreseeable future.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This.. IOS Is a dinosaur

I bought the line about iOS being a dinosaur until I tried the Nexus 7 recently.... which hardly looks or acts more futuristic (more tweakability, sure).

I'd say that if iOS is a dinosaur, then Android is a dinosaur. iOS is shinier and prettier, even still :p

Only Windows Phone is truly a next step in aesthetics and interface.

solarus

Samsung galaxy s3 = amazing technology
Iphone 5 =earbuds

It really is as big a leap as 4 to 4s - nothing
......so tell me. What is superior about the s3 unless you prefer android, because you android fanboys are clearly out of your minds. 4-4s upgrade was nothing? What?! Blatant trolling here. A hardware bump to a6 which will most likely be the king of the benchmarks once again just as the a5 was and suddenly people have stopped caring about hardware upgrades to ios devices. But if android devices get a spec bump everyone drools over it. Double standard here.

Miletius

The hearing aid stuff is kind of cool. My SO is an audiologist in training so I hear all about hearing aid tech all the time, and this sounds like it could potentially be a huge step forward. She's excited at the possibility at least, hearing aid tech has been pretty stagnant lately.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just asked Siri if I should upgrade from 4S to 5. She apologized for being down, and asked me to try again later.

Apple delivers only on the expected, and people are curious why there's little buzz?

twofold

This is basically the point, I think. We're at the stage now where phones all have 4G, all have good screens, all have good enough point and shoot cameras... everyone is really just iterating on a theme.

Ironically I would say we're in the same rut we were in back in 2005/2006 before the iPhone came out. Everyone iterating on a formula.

Indeed. It's a good rut, though. It's amazing how good smartphones have become in such a short period of time.

This.. IOS Is a dinosaur

Jailbreak! Chances are you'll be able to fix any gripes or issues you have with ios after spending 10 minutes in the Cydia store. There are so many useful UI tweaks available through Cydia and the majority of them are free.

Top Bottom