• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm not sure why people are so bothered about other people liking the iPhone 5. *shrug*

Anyway, I thought I hated how the white one looked, but then I saw a profile pic of it in white, and fell in love. I'm not upgrade eligible for a few weeks, but I think I want the white one.

Do people really think that this isn't a pretty big update to the iPhone? Maybe they've just become used to all the leaks but this seems like a fairly substantial update to me.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3322892/phil-schiller-passbook-nfc-lightning

In short, schiller thinks passport is all folks really need and nfc is useless (tbf, none of my android friends ever actually used nfc ever). And wireless charging is pointless due to you still need to plug shit to the wall.

And it does seem lightning exists just because they ran out of room designing iphone 5 lol.

I think it's a bummer that they didn't include NFC but I kind of agree with the wireless charging part. It seems like most people who use wireless charging have just replaced a usb plug with a power mat that's plugged into the wall.

Enco

Do people really think that this isn't a pretty big update to the iPhone? Maybe they've just become used to all the leaks but this seems like a fairly substantial update to me.
How so?

It's bigger and has some minor improvements (e.g. battery life and camera). What else?

I was ready to pre order it on the day but I'll pass now. My 4S is plenty fine.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3322892/phil-schiller-passbook-nfc-lightning

In short, schiller thinks passport is all folks really need and nfc is useless (tbf, none of my android friends ever actually used nfc ever). And wireless charging is pointless due to you still need to plug shit to the wall.

And it does seem lightning exists just because they ran out of room designing iphone 5 lol.

Then NFC is dead, just like Flash. Apple dictates the industry.

ari

Banned
This is a post Steve Jobs Apple now.

but the ear buds and all this R&D was under development for 3 years. :/

Look, i wasn't expecting a mind blowing phone that do more shit then my droid...but i WAS expecting a mind blowing phone that do more shit then my droid.

If the S3 was the iphone 5, that would change things and light the world on fire. Its not, so because of the brand alone, this phone will sell millions. Whatever, just the state of the phone market i guess. Iphone is a brand on its on and would sell twice the competitors because of its name, no matter if that competitor been doing it for ever.

LCfiner

that forward thinking...

doesn't mean they aren't working on it.

it's a typical Apple exec interview. anything that they're not shipping isn't needed. As soon as they ship it, it's awesome.

that said... I can't disagree that NFC isn't that impressive whenever I've seen a demo.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can we talk about awful the lighting Brand is?

What even is it? It's not micro thunderbolt.. Is it usb3? It looks like a great connector, but this really is Sony levels of superfluous branding. The new dock connector would have been fine.

chrislowe

Ive got one question, how could this be a "completely new design", if the Samsung was a copycat?.

Not sure how Apple defines "new"

How so?

It's bigger and has some minor improvements (e.g. battery life and camera). What else?

It seems like they addressed two of the things android fans constantly complain about when talking about iPhones in that they made it bigger and included 4G. I'm not sure what else they really could've done except add NFC. Either way, some people will say that this was a lackluster update and that Apple is losing it's touch since Jobs died but they'll still go on to sell a trillion phones.

BFIB

but the ear buds and all this R&D was under development for 3 years. :/

Look, i wasn't expecting a mind blowing phone that do more shit then my droid...but i WAS expecting a mind blowing phone that do more shit then my droid.

If the S3 was the iphone 5, that would change things and light the world on fire. Its not, so because of the brand alone, this phone will sell millions. Whatever, just the state of the phone market i guess.

As far as my post Jobs comment went, I meant for the iPhone. I'm sure his vision is still in new products that haven't been released yet.

I agree on your statement though. I wonder if the smartphone end has hit a wall for now? There's only so much you can do.

How so?

Pretty much, 4S owners have pretty much zero reason to upgrade.

I'm probably picking up a 5 because my bro wants my 4S.

hmmm....

2012-09-12iphone5hands-9_gallery_post_gallery_post.jpeg

Is it just me, or does White look kinda shitty in person? Probably stick with black again.

-PXG-

I'm not really surprised. The biggest improvement is the display, but still, it's too small. Everything else was predictable and/ or has been available from the competition for ages. Apple needs to step up...or not...People will buy it anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If the S3 was the iphone 5, that would change things and light the world on fire.
I'm curious, what is it that you think makes the S3 so special?

I followed its release and it seems less interesting than the iPhone 5 even from an upgrade standpoint. There's nothing revolutionary or particularly special about it, as far as I can tell. Not suggesting the iPhone 5 is a huge upgrade either, mind you, but the S3 seems to be less of one. Plus it still has that Pentile matrix screen.

Personally, I think the new Nokia phones are more interesting than either the S3 or the iPhone 5.

Enco

hmmm....

Is it just me, or does White look kinda shitty in person? Probably stick with black again.
Yikes. That does look pretty awful.

It seems like they addressed two of the things android fans constantly complain about when talking about iPhones in that they made it bigger and included 4G. I'm not sure what else they really could've done except add NFC. Either way, some people will say that this was a lackluster update and that Apple is losing it's touch since Jobs died but they'll still go on to sell a trillion phones.
It's a brilliant phone but from the 4S is very lackluster. Anyone who doesn't have a 4S should love it though.

hmmm....

White doesn't look shitty in person but I went Black 3G, Black 3GS, Black 4, White 4S... and I regret it. Going back to Black.

rozay

Banned
iPhone5-2902_575px.jpg

I was really hoping they'd take a page out of the iPad book and make a split keyboard.

I mean this in the least "apple hater" way possible, the white 5 in live pictures in my opinion is the worst design in the iPhone series. None of those elements really fit together as cohesively as they do on the charcoal version.

Yikes. That does look pretty awful.

It's a brilliant phone but from the 4S is very lackluster. Anyone who doesn't have a 4S should love it though.

I feel as if that's the case for most new phones assuming you already have a modern smartphone.

What did you want?

Me? Nothing. I haven't had an iPhone since the 3GS. But if HTC put this exact phone (asthetics and app store aside) on android nobody would make a peep.

Edit: The iPhone was head and shoulders above every other, and Id argue the 4 also, this doesn't feel that way.

raven777

2012-09-11-2_gallery_post.jpg

iPhone5-3037_575px.jpg

I am really curious about the actual color of the back metal plate of the black version.

I want it to be dark like the first image but all the photos I have seen taken by the press seem to be similar to the second image.

Fusebox

Banned
Love the new specs. Not enough to get me to upgrade from my 4S but still an awesome phone.

Also, worst first reply ever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Me? Nothing. I haven't had an iPhone since the 3GS. But if HTC put this exact phone (asthetics and app store aside) on android nobody would make a peep.
So what would it take for you to be excited by any phone from any manufacturer?

The thing is, there really is no 'big thing' that convinces me to jump to android either.
Android continues to repel me, honestly. There's absolutely nothing appealing about it.

Windows Phone 8, however, seems genuinely cool. If I weren't tied to the AppStore (a huge problem for MS) I'd consider grabbing one of the new Lumia phones.

This whole connection to whichever platform you started with is a REAL problem.

LCfiner

Ive got one question, how could this be a "completely new design", if the Samsung was a copycat?.

Not sure how Apple defines "new"

well, depends how you define "design". if you define it not just by how it looks but how it's made, the iphone 5 is entirely different.

instead of a stainless steel band with side mounted components and front and back glass, it's an aluminum machined back and sides (all one piece) with rear mounted components. antennas and other compoents are all redesigned to be within the glass windows on top and bottom. then there's a glass front. allows for it to be lighter and thinner than the 4S

samsung Galaxy design was a copycat of the 3G. the court case was about older samsung phones plus all the software tweaks samsung made to touchwiz to ape iOS.

The galaxy S3 isn't a copycat of any current apple design

hmmm....

For some reason the two tone part in that white pick looks like dirty PVC.

iPhone5-3037_575px.jpg

I am really curious about the actual color of the back metal plate of the black version.

I want it to be dark like the first image but all the photos I have seen taken by the press seem to be similar to the second image.

It's gonna probably look like Apple's shots - both the black and white - as probably the lighting/flash from cameras make the colors of the aluminum look odd. And I find that the white iphone always looks odd in photos not taken by apple. It's once you go to the apple store that you realize that the white looks like it does on the website.

buhdeh

hmmm....

Maybe it's the flash? but the back of the black doesn't look too great either...

iPhone5-3041_575px.jpg

Piggus

This is the industry leader, people were expecting to be blown away and they "played it safe." Especially since last years phone was an incremental upgrade. Even Siri was interesting.

Would you like to give some examples?

"WOW HOW DISAPOINT APPLE Y U NO BLOW MEHWAY"

Same shit from the cynics every year.

giga

iPhone5-3037_575px.jpg

That's a combination of bad lighting and flash making it look washed out. It's slate.

dsc05789.jpg

???

So no one shouldn't want a bigger screen & LTE?

The jump from 4S to 5 isn't like the jump from 4 to 4S. It's bigger.

oh fuck, forgot about LTE for a sec :p

But gaf and twitter loads well enough on 3g, so it's probably not a huge deal. Probably bigger when i leave college and don't have wifi everywhere.

taller screen doesn't seem to important atm, will have to see one in hand.

Soybean

What exactly did people want? LTE, bigger screen, in-cell touch LCD, improved camera and more battery life in a thin-as-fuck unibody case. I don't understand the disappointment.

Bgamer90

Banned
To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula.

lol oh please. Missed this quote.

It's a "Toyota" in the sense that's it's popular but quality wise, it's still very high.

Sean

Banned
Seems more like an off year update than a true revision. I guess I'll get one as my contracts up and I can pretty much pay for it by selling my old phone but it's not the most exciting update ever.

How is this not a "true" revision?

LTE is a huge addition. There's a larger screen with better display. Twice as fast CPU and graphics. 20% thinner and lighter. The WiFi, battery life, camera, microphones, etc have all been improved. New faster dock connector, new headphones. Literally everything about it is better.

Top Bottom