• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
My Apple.com order is still listed as Preparing for Shipment, even though it has clearly left the warehouse via the UPS tracking.

Has anyone's Apple.com order switched to shipped?

Yup, mine just got updated to shipped (UK). Interestingly, it now says it was shipped on the 16th ...

Black for me. White for the mrs. I've always had black but I think the white looks a lot nicer than it has previous gens though.

But dat black on black is like a bond phone in an Armani suit.

FinKL

I've heard of the phrase before, never seen the movie it originated from. Waiting until mid Oct to even think about getting a nano sim for t-mobile.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
White looks better. How is that even up for debate? You see far more of the phone's detail.

Xcellere

IT DON'T MATTER IF YOU'RE BLACK OR WHITE

Also, just got this email:

iphone_fuck_zps4f74d0e1.jpg

suicide-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1386.gif

Holy shit, for those of who who use iPhoto for iPad/iPhone, this update is fucking insane. Can't wait to dive in and try the new stuff. Also fixes my most irritating complaints. Still one of the most impressive and innovative tablets apps Ive seen.

What's New in Version 1.1
• Added support for iPod touch (4th generation and later)
• Coaching tips have been added to the Help system on the iPhone and iPod touch
• Effects now include six new Apple-designed ink effects such as Chalk and Palette Knife
• Images up to 36.5 megapixels are now supported*
• Full resolution photos can now be imported via iTunes File Sharing
• Tag albums can be created by adding custom tags to photos
• "Updating Library" alert appears less frequently
• Multiple photos can now be saved to the Camera Roll at one time
• Cropping presets now use detected faces to determine composition
• Tilt-shift and gradient effects can now be rotated
• Facebook sharing now supports single sign-on in Settings
• Comments can be added more easily when posting photos to Facebook
• Videos can be uploaded to Facebook
• Locations and friend tags can now be set when posting photos to Facebook
• Comments and locations can be set on individual photos when sharing a group of photos to Facebook
• Any photo previously posted to Facebook can be more easily replaced with a more current version
• A notification is now displayed when an upload to Facebook completes in the background
• Photos can now be shared directly to Cards, iMovie, and other supporting apps
• Journals now include new layout options
• Fonts and alignment of text in journal items can be modified
• New style and color options are available for Note and Memory items in journals
• Journal Note and Memory items can now be resized
• Dividers can be added to break journal pages into sections to control the reflow of layouts
• A new Swap mode makes it easier to change the placement of items in a journal layout
• You can now place a pin on a journal map when no location data is present
• Links to journals can now be shared directly to Facebook and Twitter, and via Messages
• Links to remote journals can now be shared even if the journal was created on another device
• A new Publish Changes button provides control over when to update your journal
• An overlay displaying month and year now appears when scrolling in Photos view
• Photos can now be sorted by date and can be filtered using new criteria
• Photos view now includes a Power Scroll strip for high-speed scrolling
• Grid of thumbnails can now be expanded to multiple rows in portrait orientation

All Apple apps got significant updates, and now you can even open iWork app documents (pages/keynote) in other apps.

Holy shit, for those of who who use iPhoto for iPad/iPhone, this update is fucking insane. Can't wait to dive in and try the new stuff. Also fixes my most irritating complaints. Still one of the most impressive and innovative tablets apps Ive seen.

All Apple apps got significant updates, and now you can even open iWork app documents (pages/keynote) in other apps.

Hell of an update, I think apple put out and update for all there apps today, I've been updating apps all day it seems

OmegaFax

The verge surprisingly still doesn't have a review up, does apple really have beef with them?

I'm wondering the same thing. The editor and chief posted on his Twitter that it would be up eventually with little explanation. They could have opted not to do any early review. Ars Technica, Ananadtech, and iLounge off the top of my head don't do reviews until after release.

AngryMoth

Okay, any carrier recommendations for the UK? I've always been on Orange but ideally I'd like to go with whoever has the best 4g strategy providing they have good coverage.

So wait. I'm still confused. Does an iPhone 5 ordered from Apple w/ a contract on a specific network (AT&T for me) come with the nano-sim included? Or is that something I need to set up myself on my own time via my carrier?

When I ordered my iPhone 4 two years ago it was from AT&T directly. And it came with the sim card already in. Just had to activate the phone in iTunes and I was good to go.

Not sure with this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So wait. I'm still confused. Does an iPhone 5 ordered from Apple w/ a contract on a specific network (AT&T for me) come with the nano-sim included? Or is that something I need to set up myself on my own time via my carrier?

When I ordered my iPhone 4 two years ago it was from AT&T directly. And it came with the sim card already in. Just had to activate the phone in iTunes and I was good to go.

Not sure with this.

It comes with the card. You just turn it on and go through set-up.

I'm wondering the same thing. The editor and chief posted on his Twitter that it would be up eventually with little explanation. They could have opted not to do any early review. Ars Technica, Ananadtech, and iLounge off the top of my head don't do reviews until after release.

Someone said The Verge is waiting until Josh T. does his thing on Fallon tonight to post it.

yes

I just need mine to ship before it will let me select "presign" because i wont be home and i want it left on the step, im not hunting down a fucking truck again

Wait what? You literally hunted the truck rather than collect from a local depot or arrange re-delivery? Lol. Are you Liam Neeson?

dorkimoe

Wait what? You literally hunted the truck rather than collect from a local depot or arrange re-delivery? Lol. Are you Liam Neeson?

They had left a note on my door, and i had missed them. I went to the depot and they said it was still on the truck. It shouldnt have been something that needed signed as i had just ordered that similar item 2 days prior but this one i overnighted. Apparently overnight means it needs signed. So they told me it should still be in my area so i went and looked. Never found him :( had to wait an extra day. Wasnt happy. Or i looked first because I missed him by like 3 minutes according to the timestamp. I cant remember, but yes i did hunt down a truck.

either way you cant presign until they ship it im ASSUMING.

RevDM

Banned
Just a heads up peeps.

Ordered mine the other day from the verizon store and I will be getting it Friday (not october as stated on verizons website).

You guys might have better luck getting it earlier at a B&M store.

They had left a note on my door, and i had missed them. I went to the depot and they said it was still on the truck. It shouldnt have been something that needed signed as i had just ordered that similar item 2 days prior but this one i overnighted. Apparently overnight means it needs signed. So they told me it should still be in my area so i went and looked. Never found him :( had to wait an extra day. Wasnt happy. Or i looked first because I missed him by like 3 minutes according to the timestamp. I cant remember, but yes i did hunt down a truck.

either way you cant presign until they ship it im ASSUMING.

The idea of chasing down a truck just made me laugh. That is a bummer though, and I've had mixed luck with asking carriers to leave stuff if I'm not there even after presigning. Luckily I'm self-employed these days and can usually be in if I need to be.

What's the latest on scuffgate? Has anyone other than that one UK site brought it up?

I think slashgear had a blurb about it

They’re finished with a beautiful chamfered edge, which Apple says is diamond-cut; it’s unfortunately reasonably prone to scrapes, however, and after just a few days of relatively kid-glove treatment, this black review model bore at least one small scar. It would likely be less obvious with a white version.

Top Bottom