• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

X-Frame

I'd considering AppleCare+ but isn't it $200 to replace a damaged phone, whereas with AC+ it is $99 upfront and then $50 for the replacement so you're only saving $50?

I don't know if the $200 is a policy, or if it's just Apple being generous for damaged screens or something, so I may be wrong.

LordCanti

I just got a good video look at the white version. It's looking good..... I need to stay strong with the black one.

(Anyone ordering through AT&T get a shipping confirmation yet?)

Koodo

Banned
All the cases I tried on the iPhone 4 (two-piece snap on, silicone case, bumper) did some form of damage, be it scratches, unremovable marks or scuffs.

The absolute height of irony. If I weren't so paranoid about dropping the thing, I'd go naked too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well... cancelled my black iPhone 5 and switched over to the white one. I have to wait an extra week, but whatever. The color combo just looks so sick... and I was kinda nonplussed by the slate.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
People go naked with their $800 phones? Huh.

Cases tend to make more damage than being naked, ironically.

Really easy for dust and grit to get underneath and then it's stuck there grinding against your iPhone.

Just ask all the people who got scratched and marked sides on the iPhone 4.

dorkimoe

I used to use a case all the time. like i wouldnt leave the house without one. But the phone is just so so so so so so so so much better looking without it. However I will never not use a screen protector. So that being said, if I get my phone friday and they dont have protectors out, that phone isnt getting touched :( and yes im serious

I'd considering AppleCare+ but isn't it $200 to replace a damaged phone, whereas with AC+ it is $99 upfront and then $50 for the replacement so you're only saving $50?

I don't know if the $200 is a policy, or if it's just Apple being generous for damaged screens or something, so I may be wrong.

I would like to know this too.

I think that the coating will scrape off, like in this picture

apple-iphone-5-phone-review-27.jpg

... Is this real life? Black 4 is still the superior phone confirmed :/

LordCanti

When's Otterbox releasing the Defender? Is it wrong of me to go this route? Sorry I'm new to the apple sidd

I don't recommend the defender. The screen protector is a fingerprint magnet, and it turns the phone into a huge brick. They may have solved the first issue with the IP5 model, but it's still probably going to be a brick.

... Is this real life? Black 4 is still the superior phone confirmed :/

I hope they just got a damaged phone. I'll cry if that beautiful finish rubs off.

Cases tend to make more damage than being naked, ironically.

Really easy for dust and grit to get underneath and then it's stuck there grinding against your iPhone.

Just ask all the people who got scratched and marked sides on the iPhone 4.

Damn fucking straight, hence the reason I will no longer buy a case anymore

My iPhone 4

numble

You said not to because you lose money.

You can still upgrade and not use the phone. Get @chronic to unlock it and sell it right away. Not like your AT&T plan doesn't work with other phones like your iPhone 4. It's always economical to spend the subsidy on the iPhone anyway--you get a $400 subsidy compared to $300 or so for other smartphones. Even if you plan on getting another phone, you come out ahead if you get the subsidy on the iPhone and sell it, and then buy your intended phone full price.

Of course, the best way to not lose money is to do what I do, buy unlocked and resell in China right before the announcement :p

Is there a list of iPhone 5 compatible apps being kept anywhere? I just got a fuckton of updates (yes some for iOS 6 but a decent amount for the 5), like 16 of them.

Blackhead

Redarse

I would like to know this too.

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center (USA)
My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?

Apple offers two service options for iPhones that are not eligible for warranty service.
  • Battery Replacement Service
  • Out-of-Warranty Service
    If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
    iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 4S $199
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax...

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service....

LCfiner

How do you guys keep it from getting scratched?

I don't carry items harder than stainless steel or gorilla glass in my pocket with my phone. So no diamonds or carbide drill tips jangling about loose in my pockets.

I also gotta admit that I've been lucky because I've dropped my iPhone 4 and 4s a few times on hard tiled floors and nothing ever cracked.

Cloudy

Banned
I noticed Verizon has the 4S at the same price as 5. My dad is due for an upgrade in December so I was gonna get him a 4 but they even want $99 for that. WTF lol

gamma

While the white version does look nice, it's only the silver parts that make it look good. I don't really like the white itself. So I'm staying with the black one which looks awesome anyway.

I noticed Verizon has the 4S at the same price as 5. My dad is due for an upgrade in December so I was gonna get him a 4 but they even want $99 for that. WTF lol

If you're going to get locked into a two year deal you may as well get the best phone you can. The hundred or two you'd save for a previous generation phone isn't that much over the life of a contract.

Cloudy

Banned
If you're going to get locked into a two year deal you may as well get the best phone you can. The hundred or two you'd save for a previous generation phone isn't that much over the life of a contract.

Yeah. I was hoping to get him a 4 for free with upgrade (ala AT&T) since he has a crappy Blackberry right now and doesn't care about Siri etc. lol

Yeah. I was hoping to get him a 4 for free with upgrade (ala AT&T) since he has a crappy Blackberry right now lol

I definitely wouldn't get a 4 now, you're going to have to pay more than $2000 over the life of the contract most likely, what's another $200 for a phone that will actually still be good by then?

Kaladin

My iPhone must be on a long haul truck. The shipping status hasn't updated since they left Addison, IL Monday night. That is a sixteen hour run so maybe it will update tomorrow when it gets close.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Well after AT&T/Apple cancelled my order on Saturday for some reason, I replied to their email with my new order number in hopes the last line of the email was a hint that I'd get my place back in line for a Friday shipment. As it turned out, it was. I can't believe that actually worked.

gamma

bitches pls

mine still says processing and I can't use the reference tracking since I'm in Europe. Going to bed now, if it doesnt say shipped when I wake up I'll go cray

jts

...hate me...
I think this is going to be a favorite new feature of mine:

ios6_DND_tweak.jpg

I take it this is just for calls and not all alerts/notifications?

Errthing. The phone will not vibrate, will make no noise, light no screen, show no notification while DND is on (with the possible exception rules set for phone calls).

Futureman

I definitely wouldn't get a 4 now, you're going to have to pay more than $2000 over the life of the contract most likely, what's another $200 for a phone that will actually still be good by then?

still... a 4 is an amazing phone for free for someone who doesn't care about technology/phones. Why spend the $200 if you don't have to? Get a sweet pair of shoes or something else you care about.

and the 4 will be free I assume when the 5 actually launches to the person asking. I assume that's what the deal is. 4 is definitely free now.

Raw64life

I've always had a case on my phone but I think I'm going to go bare for the first time given what I'm hearing. And the bumper on my iPhone 4 did leave blotch marks on the sides of my phone once I took it off which look nasty.

I also am getting a little antsy about my status still being "Preparing for shipment" even though I am able to track it and all indications are that it should be here Friday.

leng jai

Anyone else with a 4S thinking about getting an iPod Touch? I guess the AU price is pretty competitive actually at $329 for the 32GB which makes it more tempting for me. The thinness of the Touch has always been amazing and this iteration is almost 1:1. Would solve the gadget envy that's for sure.

elsk

Banned
Anyone else with a 4S thinking about getting an iPod Touch? I guess the AU price is pretty competitive actually at $329 for the 32GB which makes it more tempting for me. The thinness of the Touch has always been amazing and this iteration is almost 1:1. Would solve the gadget envy that's for sure.

Aside from the 4-screen, the iPod Touch is basically an iPhone 4S on the inside.

LCfiner

still... a 4 is an amazing phone for free for someone who doesn't care about technology/phones. Why spend the $200 if you don't have to? Get a sweet pair of shoes or something else you care about.

and the 4 will be free I assume when the 5 actually launches to the person asking. I assume that's what the deal is. 4 is definitely free now.

It's a good phone but it's missing the most useful new addition in iOS 6 - turn by turn navigation. Might as well get a 4S for 100. Get Siri, turn by turn, extra 8 gb of storage, way better camera, 2x speed...

Things like the camera and directions are useful for everyone and not just tech heads.

you can actually request an unlock directly through at&t. they will do it for free if you meet their conditions (looks like you are off contract so you should be good).

another option (for your friend) is to tell him about imei unlocks online. there are a lot of websites out there that do permanent imei unlocks and can do it for under $50. they are totally legit as well (used them myself for a few phones and they work 100% of the time). i actually saw someone on ebay selling an at&t iphone unlock for under $20. thats how cheap they've gotten.

Thanks! I submitted the form after all, don't want to cause the guy any more financial hardship. Now I wonder what'll happen if the unlock comes through after I've transitioned to my iPhone 5!

So got my request back today... denied. After I sent in my request I contacted AT&T to make sure it would go through as I realized I was technically under contract again since I sent the sim unlock form AFTER preordering my iPhone 5. To AT&T that's the same as re-upping an agreement, even though I was in the interim period before I received the physical device. They ASSURED me it would go through.

Nope.

Called them today mere moments after the denial hit my inbox, spoke with a very nice, very clueless support rep who keeps me on hold for 40 minutes. She eventually calls AppleCare on my behalf, and says they claim they can perform the unlock provided I give them my serial number. Hooray! Progress! She hangs up on me trying to transfer me to them.

Five minutes later, she calls back extremely apologetic, and gives me the AppleCare number. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, what the heck does Apple have to do with my sim unlock, but I don't say that. Stupid, I know. So I call Apple. Apple gets to me quickly and within 5 minutes SENDS ME BACK TO AT&T say they have nothing to do with sim unlocks! Surprise, surprise!

Get a new person at AT&T who tells me to RESUBMIT THE SIM UNLOCK FORM and wait another week. I tell them the whole point was to get this done BEFORE my 5 comes. He tells me to call them back on Friday when I receive it, as once I activate that phone they'll show my 4 as sim unlock eligible again. I tell him I was lied to by multiple reps and am pretty skeptical, but hang up having wasted 90 minutes; no other option.

FRRT.

I know this will be lost in the iOS6 fun (IT STINKS) and tracking madness, but I JUST WANTED TO SHARE.

jts

...hate me...
It's a good phone but it's missing the most useful new addition in iOS 6 - turn by turn navigation. Might as well get a 4S for 100. Get Siri, turn by turn, extra 8 gb of storage, way better camera, 2x speed...

Things like the camera and directions are useful for everyone and not just tech heads.
There are so many GPS apps with turn-by-turn that it makes that point a bit moot. I for one won't be using default turn-by-turn, as I already rely on a specific app.
What I'm trying to say is that you can put that money towards the app store if it's a necessary feature for you, the iPhone 4 isn't limited by hardware on that regard.

I agree on the camera part though, and on the speed, when applied to the camera. A nice speedy camera is useful and good for everyone. Can't make up for it by software, either.

Top Bottom