• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Wow the iPhone 4 is only $149 for a repair? That makes AppleCare+ even more worthless. Nobody should buy AppleCare+ unless you always break your phone at least once every two years.

It's a good phone but it's missing the most useful new addition in iOS 6 - turn by turn navigation. Might as well get a 4S for 100. Get Siri, turn by turn, extra 8 gb of storage, way better camera, 2x speed...

Things like the camera and directions are useful for everyone and not just tech heads.

Turn by turn is a meaningless feature for me. I have a car with built in GPS; I have no real need for it on my phone for 99% of the time.

leng jai

How do you guys keep it from getting scratched?

Do you really expect an object you use for hours on a daily basis and take everywhere is going to stay in pristine condition? A phone is a thing I need to use freely without any babying so a few scratches are fine.

Seriously does anyone actually obsess over scratches for the entire lifetime of the phone? I can understand being anal for the first week or so but come on.

Do you really expect an object you use for hours on a daily basis and take everywhere is going to stay in pristine condition? A phone is a thing I need to use freely without any babying so a few scratches are fine.

Seriously does anyone actually obsess over scratches for the entire lifetime of the phone? I can understand being anal for the first week or so but come on.

The best thing that happens to me whenever I get a new phone is when I drop it for the first time.

Fjordson

Well, it depends. Big, nasty, noticeable scratches? I admit, I'm pretty worried about that for the entire time I have the phone. Especially on the screen, though it's been pretty easy for me to avoid that.

Small nicks and marks? Nah. Like you said, after a while that sort of stuff is almost inevitable.

leng jai

The best thing that happens to me whenever I get a new phone is when I drop it for the first time.

I admit that the first scratch ever on a brand new gadget makes it feel like life isn't worth living but the suicidal thoughts usually subside after a day or two.

After that though the floodgates open and I just don't give a fuck.

SuperPac

I think this is going to be a favorite new feature of mine:

ios6_DND_tweak.jpg

I take it this is just for calls and not all alerts/notifications?

Calls from favorites will come through (or repeated calls from the same number if you have that turned on), as will alarms but NOTHING else. No texts from favorites, no calendar alerts, no other app alerts. DND is only active while the screen is off - if you have the screen on or are using the phone, they will come through as normal.

I love DND.

LordCanti

Calls from favorites will come through (or repeated calls from the same number if you have that turned on), as will alarms but NOTHING else. No texts from favorites, no calendar alerts, no other app alerts. DND is only active while the screen is off - if you have the screen on or are using the phone, they will come through as normal.

I love DND.

This feature is going to change my life. No longer will my credit card company call me at midnight to proclaim that a charge has gone through (for one of the four or five services I pay for monthly, that all bill at the stroke of midnight) and scare the hell out of me.

Black iphone, rough and chiselled like a man
White iphone, elegant and smooth, like a woman

I'm like the new charging port on this one; I go both ways.

Pixels

I ordered from apple.com at like 12:30AM on the 14th and...

Available to ship: 2 weeks
Delivers Oct 5 via Standard Shipping

LOL

As opposed to 0mbps in Austin and NYC half the time? Sounds good, yeah.

Cant get past verizons issue of no talk and data at the same time. I use that feature maybe 4 times a year but every time it is very important.

This, also the fact that there's no 4G failsafes in effect is a major issue. I go outside of LTE with AT&T and I'm still getting 6-7 mbps download speeds on HSPA+. Do the same with Verizon and you're lucky to break 3 on EV-DO.

And you need to move to Boston, dude. No AT&T issues here. Plus we're all a bunch of smarmy entitled assholes. Everyone at NeoGAF would love it.

Pixels

This, also the fact that there's no 4G failsafes in effect is a major issue. I go outside of LTE with AT&T and I'm still getting 6-7 mbps download speeds on HSPA+. Do the same with Verizon and you're lucky to break 3 on EV-DO.

And you need to move to Boston, dude. No AT&T issues here. Plus we're all a bunch of smarmy entitled assholes. Everyone at NeoGAF would love it.

Ugh... I should have not gone Verizon. Debating whether to cancel....

LordCanti

I ordered from apple.com at like 12:30AM on the 14th and...

Available to ship: 2 weeks
Delivers Oct 5 via Standard Shipping

LOL

My decision to order directly from AT&T has clearly paid off. I ordered 3 IP5's at 4 pacific, and all of them are going to be here launch day.

One is a white one...I might unbox it and stare longingly at it, and possibly give the family member that wanted the white one my black one instead.

Cloudy

Banned
It's a good phone but it's missing the most useful new addition in iOS 6 - turn by turn navigation. Might as well get a 4S for 100. Get Siri, turn by turn, extra 8 gb of storage, way better camera, 2x speed...

Things like the camera and directions are useful for everyone and not just tech heads.

Umm..the free Mapquest app has turn by turn..

jcm

Your penis is worth less than $1000? Apologies

Well, it comes in handy if you lose it. I lost mine a while back. Then, as I walked down Second Avenue towards St. Mark's Place, where all those people sell used books and other junk on the street, I saw my penis lying on a blanket next to a broken toaster oven.

Some guy was selling it. I had to buy it off him. He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen.

Just imagine if it were worth a grand.

I'm scared to go over there because they're all fucking nuts but has anyone checked to see what the MacRumors forums are saying about scuffgate? I'm sure there's a 50-page thread on it by now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, it comes in handy if you lose it. I lost mine a while back. Then, as I walked down Second Avenue towards St. Mark's Place, where all those people sell used books and other junk on the street, I saw my penis lying on a blanket next to a broken toaster oven.

Some guy was selling it. I had to buy it off him. He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen.

Just imagine if it were worth a grand.

Deeeetachable Peeenisss

Jimrpg

Anyone else with a 4S thinking about getting an iPod Touch? I guess the AU price is pretty competitive actually at $329 for the 32GB which makes it more tempting for me. The thinness of the Touch has always been amazing and this iteration is almost 1:1. Would solve the gadget envy that's for sure.

Aside from the 4-screen, the iPod Touch is basically an iPhone 4S on the inside.

The iPhone 5 has an A6 chip while the iPod Touch has an A5 chip (and probably only 512mb ram) - you're looking at similar performance if you're just going to play games (except your games will be 16:9 if it has been updated)

I thought about it but iPhone 5 is probably the way to go if you want to upgrade.

(plus i think its a 5 Megapixel camera on the iPod Touch)

I wanna get an iPhone 5 but TPG Mobile needs to get 4G otherwise it won't be a big enough of a upgrade from the 4S... of course if I had the money I would get the 5 in a heart beat but the 4s is still an excellent phone and super fast. I do want that extra screen space...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah looks like is a really thing. I'm hoping they fix it in the post-release units :/ I really need an iPhone.
I'm not sure how they can fix something like that. Is colored aluminum ever made with that same color throughout the whole volume of the thing? I thought it was always just the surface that has the non-default silver color.

nib95

Banned
If Scuff gate is a serious issue its going to be both disappointing and funny at the same time. Just like with Antenna gate, they spend all this time making these gorgeous phones that look and feel great, then essentially corner people in to having to cover them all up in cases or bumpers etc.

elsk

Banned
I'm not sure how they can fix something like that. Is colored aluminum ever made with that same color throughout the whole volume of the thing? I thought it was always just the surface that has the non-default silver color.

On Macrumors some guys are assuming is a problem in the production process:

At least for the picture posted by pocket-lint, and featured on the OP, the fault appears to be where the anodized surface was "diamond finished." The process is detailed on some apple promotional video on their website, but it carves an edge on the anodized surface leaving a small, exposed aluminum area in natural silver color. My guess is that this process is inherently inexact and it leaves the edge of the anodized surface prone to wear that would not otherwise occur if the finish were left undisturbed. So much for being cute with that diamond finish...
And:

The anodized portion has been grounded and polished off on the chamfer. If you watch the iPhone 5 official video from Apple from 5:00 - 5:12 time mark, you'll see the anodized frame going thru grinding and polishing for the chamfer. I doubt that they anodized it again but instead just painted it and that is why that chamfer portion is easily susceptible to scuffing.

SuperPac

Is it realistic to expect never to scuff an item that you put in your pocket, use regularly, and may drop on the ground? Even if you throw a case on it, you'll probably scuff that at some point. Does no one have an iPod touch or the shiny metal backed iPods? Those scuffed immediately no matter what you did.

Even after putting a case on it doesn't guarantee no scuffs.

elsk

Banned
Is it realistic to expect never to scuff an item that you put in your pocket, use regularly, and may drop on the ground? Even if you throw a case on it, you'll probably scuff that at some point. Does no one have an iPod touch or the shiny metal backed iPods? Those scuffed immediately no matter what you did.

Even after putting a case on it doesn't guarantee no scuffs.

Yeah, but you can't expect people to be 'ok' with a 700USD cellphone to have such a shitty "paint job".

tmdorsey

So got my request back today... denied. After I sent in my request I contacted AT&T to make sure it would go through as I realized I was technically under contract again since I sent the sim unlock form AFTER preordering my iPhone 5. To AT&T that's the same as re-upping an agreement, even though I was in the interim period before I received the physical device. They ASSURED me it would go through.

Nope.

Called them today mere moments after the denial hit my inbox, spoke with a very nice, very clueless support rep who keeps me on hold for 40 minutes. She eventually calls AppleCare on my behalf, and says they claim they can perform the unlock provided I give them my serial number. Hooray! Progress! She hangs up on me trying to transfer me to them.

Five minutes later, she calls back extremely apologetic, and gives me the AppleCare number. The whole time I'm thinking to myself, what the heck does Apple have to do with my sim unlock, but I don't say that. Stupid, I know. So I call Apple. Apple gets to me quickly and within 5 minutes SENDS ME BACK TO AT&T say they have nothing to do with sim unlocks! Surprise, surprise!

Get a new person at AT&T who tells me to RESUBMIT THE SIM UNLOCK FORM and wait another week. I tell them the whole point was to get this done BEFORE my 5 comes. He tells me to call them back on Friday when I receive it, as once I activate that phone they'll show my 4 as sim unlock eligible again. I tell him I was lied to by multiple reps and am pretty skeptical, but hang up having wasted 90 minutes; no other option.

FRRT.

I know this will be lost in the iOS6 fun (IT STINKS) and tracking madness, but I JUST WANTED TO SHARE.

Shit. I'm in the exact same situation except I haven't received the email yet. You got me worried now. I'm selling my phone and hope to have it unlocked this week. Frack!

Xcellere

Do I have hope GAF?

My AT&T Premiere order just went from

Pending Shipment - Quantity Backordered: 1​

to​

Pending Shipment - Quantity Backordered: 0

Do I have hope of receiving the 5 on Friday, even though I got an email today saying the phone would ship in 14-21 business days?

Husker86

I'd be curious to see the places that AT&T has HSPA+ where Verizon doesn't have LTE.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
Do I have hope GAF?

My AT&T Premiere order just went from

Pending Shipment - Quantity Backordered: 1​

to​

Pending Shipment - Quantity Backordered: 0

Do I have hope of receiving the 5 on Friday, even though I got an email today saying the phone would ship in 14-21 business days?

If anything, you've given ME hope. Rep told me it would be here by Friday, yet I have the same thing as you but mine is still on "back order". Still no shipping info in my e-mail and still "processing". Argh....

Top Bottom