• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I still don't understand the point of an iPod other than an iPod Classic. Everybody has a phone, what possible reason do you have for a low capacity MP3 player that replicates some of your phone's functionality in an inferior way?

I don't want to take my phone with me when I go running or to the gym. Shuffle/Nano's are perfect for that. Less moving parts. Smaller.

A lot of people want the functionality without the expensive data plan and 2-year contract. I doubt the iPod touch would be the most popular iPod Apple makes if there wasn't a demand for it.

I'm sure it sells, but it doesn't help my brain make sense of it. I guess it doesn't help that every person I know owns a smartphone. I don't really interact with the potential audience.

I don't want to take my phone with me when I go running or to the gym. Shuffle/Nano's are perfect for that. Less moving parts. Smaller.

That makes sense. I'm thinking more the Touches, they just seem like gimped mobiles in a world where most people between 15-50 have competent mobiles.

Man, guided access mode is so fucking awesome. Can think of so many situations where this would be useful. Also, the 'circling to disable feature' is just slick. I just tried it in the bookstore, and it was a 'holy shit' moment as to what happened and the animation.

Dany

Banned
Guys, relax. The orders are all timed to arrive on Friday. Every phone I've ordered for launch day has arrived right when it should, Apple and their delivery services have this shit down like a Swiss watch.

Thanks Gary, dunno what I would do without you.

I still don't understand the point of an iPod other than an iPod Classic. Everybody has a phone, what possible reason do you have for a low capacity MP3 player that replicates some of your phone's functionality in an inferior way?

When I'm in the gym where dumbells are dropping all over the place, juice-monkeys are throwing shit around, and there is no other place to place my $700 phone other than the ground when working out, then bringing an mp3 player instead makes alot of sense. Will probably be picking up the nano.

nomster

Yup. If you've been working out with your iphone strapped to your arm or waist you'll feel like you're walking on the moon when you switch to a nano.

Could never do the shuffle myself, I need to choose my music\podcasts.

Mr.Fresh

Sorry if this has been answered. But whats the chances of me being able to walk into a Best Buy or Verizon and pick one of these up Friday morning? I didn't have the money to put down for pre ordering (Trading my phone towards it).

Sorry if this has been answered. But whats the chances of me being able to walk into a Best Buy or Verizon and pick one of these up Friday morning? I didn't have the money to put down for pre ordering (Trading my phone towards it).

Slim to none, and Slim just bought a Galaxy S3.

numble

No Apple Stores? They generally have the largest stock on hand for launch.

Dammit Gary, my sarcasm meter is broken. I can't tell if you switched over or not. I can't rest till I know.
Don't worry you'll know if I ever actually switch to Android because I'll start posting in Android threads, and also I'll be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Miker

My iPhone 5 shipment has been stuck at "Departure scan" in Anchorage for the past two nights. I'm beginning to get worried that it won't get here by Friday.

My iPhone 5 shipment has been stuck at "Departure scan" in Anchorage for the past two nights. I'm beginning to get worried that it won't get here by Friday.
That just means it left Anchorage. It takes awhile for packages to get from Alaska to the lower 48. Check the estimated time for delivery, if it still says 9/21 your cool.

def sim

Same here, but I'm sure we're getting it on Friday anyway. Packages sometimes take forever to update on UPS and it's most certainly somewhere in the states. We're probably not going to get an update until it ships to our homes tomorrow.

iammeiam

The white 32GB I ordered is somewhere along with yours. I'm assuming the shipment got where it's going and is sitting in customs. The black phones I ordered took a different route, and have just been hanging out in Kentucky for two days. All it means is we don't get our phones a day early, they'll still make Friday.

Miker

That just means it left Anchorage. It takes awhile for packages to get from Alaska to the lower 48. Check the estimated time for delivery, if it still says 9/21 your cool.

Okay, thanks, I just didn't think it would take two whole days to get down here.

The white 32GB I ordered is somewhere along with yours. I'm assuming the shipment got where it's going and is sitting in customs. The black phones I ordered took a different route, and have just been hanging out in Kentucky for two days. All it means is we don't get our phones a day early, they'll still make Friday.

Roger that, I'll post back if mine moves.

Nitsuj23

On the Apple Order Status page mine still says "preparing for shipment", but says it delivers on 9/21 (I pre-ordered as soon as they went up). Do your guys say shipped? Really wishing I could track mine.

ooh, mine finally says Shipped after "processing shipping" for days. Coming by 3pm on Friday. In Louisville yesterday morning for the last shipment update. I got no worries being in L.A. Stuff always comes on time or early, here.

Future

So I have my 3GS on ios5. I kinda don't want to update to ios6, but I DO want to transfer everything successfully to the iPhone 5 on Friday. Would restoring from back up cause any problems here? Anyone do this between two different phones with different iOS versions?

So I have my 3GS on ios5. I kinda don't want to update to ios6, but I DO want to transfer everything successfully to the iPhone 5 on Friday. Would restoring from back up cause any problems here? Anyone do this between two different phones with different iOS versions?

Nope it will be fine.

Look up a post :)

Same as the last guy. Just backup and restore, no issues here.

Fjordson

All of you guys getting the black model on Friday will have to report in regarding Scufflegate. Field tests, photo analysis, etc. Don't let me down, GAF.

All of you guys getting the black model on Friday will have to report in regarding Scufflegate. Field tests, photo analysis, etc. Don't let me down, GAF.

I'm going to put my job on hold so I have the time to conduct tests and write a paper on the subject. If I find significant evidence in favour of an inadequate anodizing job, I will present my findings to an Apple store accompanied by a request for an unfortunately less attractive white phone.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. :/

My order has said preparing shipment until one moment ago. Then my tracking finally arrives and it's being sent to my home address on the other side of the country.

What the fuck.

Jarmel

Banned
HYPE!

Getting my phone on Friday. Thought it wasn't going to happen as I hadn't gotten a shipping email yet from Apple.

Marco1

Trust me, if the scuffing on the black model will be a problem, you won't have to come to Gaf to find it. It will find you!

What's Apple's policy on things like this though. I would think it would come under cosmetic damage which they wouldn't do much about unless its widespread enough to cover a manufacturing fault.

Picking up a black in about 14 hours hopefully (Australia). I'll keep y'all posted

Blueblur1

ooh, mine finally says Shipped after "processing shipping" for days. Coming by 3pm on Friday. In Louisville yesterday morning for the last shipment update. I got no worries being in L.A. Stuff always comes on time or early, here.
Got the e-mail as well. Mine's been in Louisville since Tuesday. But it says it'll arrive by 10:30 am on Friday. I guess it should be fine.

Seth C

Just checked my shipping and it updated for Friday...before 10:30am.

Be still my beating heart.

Mine says the same, which is awesome, but I have another delivery scheduled for Friday that I'll have to sit around the house waiting for. Boo.

Oh, and I'm in Kentucky and my phone is still in Alaska.

Britprog

Bah, I held out buying one offline cause I was unsure about my provider giving a Nano Sim, it turns out they are giving them for free. Now there is a 3-4 wait in the UK apple website!!!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bah, I held out buying one offline cause I was unsure about my provider giving a Nano Sim, it turns out they are giving them for free. Now there is a 3-4 wait in the UK apple website!!!

The shortages are going to be ridiculous, just popped in the Orange store here. They have had theirs delivered today, with 100 preorders in store.

They got 6.

Top Bottom