• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I was in an all-day meeting, but looking at the specs....

WHAT
THE
FUCK

I have a 4S and absolutely zero interest in upgrading.

Plus it looks like they're back to no "worldphone" options? To hell with that!!! I don't want an either/or because I travel around the world for work.

raven777

GSM model A1428*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)
CDMA model A1429*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)
GSM model A1429*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5

question about the LTE

At the keynote I heard something about putting all the LTE chips into one.

Apparently at the apple site there is 3 different models. So do I have to buy corresponding models to use the LTE in corresponding country's band?

Because I want to use iphone 5 in 2 countries, one using band 4 and the other using band 3. So its not possible?

Enco

Just asked Siri if I should upgrade from 4S to 5. She apologized for being down, and asked me to try again later.

Apple delivers only on the expected, and people are curious why there's little buzz?

I fucking hate this. Happens far far far too often.

I like the look of it and I bet the texture feels great to hold.

My complaints? Too much similarity from the 4G. WTF?!

On the flip side, I am very happy with my 4 and this latest addition doesn't compel me to drop $399 off contract. I will be eligible for an upgrade once the 5G (5?) hits shelves so this is positive news!!

Jijidasu

Any Australians have experience setting up a contract at Telstra on launch day? Previously I've always gone to the Apple store but that won't be possible this time. Curious as to how they'll handle reservations and so on.

LordCanti

So, how does the whole "trading in an old iPhone" thing work through AT&T/Apple? Or is there no official program for that, and it has to be done through a third party retailer?

beast786

Both my wife and I will be jumping ship from Android to our first iphone.

We both already have ipads and its the ecosystem that is one of the major reason. We have TM right now, dont know which carrier to switch. Thinking about S, due to unlimited data. Any suggestions.

woober

So I'm on a family plan where I'm not eligible for a full upgrade (only discount which would be $449 for the 16gb) but it looks like my other family members are. Is there a way I could upgrade theirs yet have a nanosim with my number?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not convinced I need to upgrade from my 4.

Yuripaw

Banned
So when can I order this through Verizon? I just became eligible for an discounted upgrade 2 days ago, and I wanna get an iphone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Both my wife and I will be jumping ship from Android to our first iphone.

We both already have ipads and its the ecosystem that is one of the major reason. We have TM right now, dont know which carrier to switch. Thinking about S, due to unlimited data. Any suggestions.

I looked into abandoning Tmobile for an iPhone, but it was going to take us from $110 a month after taxes for my wife and I to a minimum of $135 after taxes. We couldn't justify the increased expenditure.

Sprint certainly has the most compelling prices/plans of the three, but it seems that certain areas of the country have pretty shoddy coverage.

sangreal

I'm desperate to abandon the Android ship and was really looking forward to the iPhone 5, but I am completely underwhelmed. Only thing I'm impressed by is the look (which we've known for some time). Ditching the World Phone is especially annoying to me as a well-traveled Verizon user

edit: although from the radio specs someone posted above, it looks like the CDMA model is a susperset of the GSM model?

We have TM right now, dont know which carrier to switch. Thinking about S, due to unlimited data. Any suggestions.

Probably check with friends/family that have Sprint or Verizon and see how they like the service. Also, if you work for a company, check if they have discounts with the carriers.

For example, I work for a law firm and we have discounts with AT&T and Verizon for sure.

......so tell me. What is superior about the s3 unless you prefer android, because you android fanboys are clearly out of your minds. 4-4s upgrade was nothing? What?! Blatant trolling here. A hardware bump to a6 which will most likely be the king of the benchmarks once again just as the a5 was and suddenly people have stopped caring about hardware upgrades to ios devices. But if android devices get a spec bump everyone drools over it. Double standard here.

The spec bumps in the iPhone seem pointless now. It's purely a numbers game with very few real world advantages. Apps out now still don't take advantage of the iPhone 4S spec bump and now we're getting another. It's nice on paper, but I find it to not mean so much let alone a significant reason to upgrade at this point in time.

LordCanti

Just sell it on craigslist or ebay...will get more than anything a trade in program will give you.

You're better off selling it yourself, honestly.

That being said, if there is an official program that would basically let me hand them my iPhone 4 and receive an iPhone 5 in return, I'm probably lazy enough to do it. How much more would than $200 would I really get for a basic 16gb black iPhone 4 anyway?

noah111

Still Alive
Apple delivers only on the expected, and people are curious why there's little buzz?
How the fuck do you define what's expected? If there weren't so many leaks from every single aspect of the event, it would have been great. Yes, even the new iPhone.

The leaks are what killed them.

jts

...hate me...
Same. Still a wonderful device. It was soooooo good back when it launched. Nothing touched it or came close to.
You guys make me feel bad about wanting to trade mine for this.

I mean, yes the iPhone 4 was the perfect phone back then. Bu but. Faster pictures. Better pictures. Pictures while shooting video. Reception. Speed. Come on. Pls dudes lets all do it :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I mean, yes the iPhone 4 was the perfect phone back then. Bu but. Faster pictures. Better pictures. Pictures while shooting video. Reception. Speed. Come on. Pls dudes lets all do it :(

If you are up for a full subsidy, it makes zero sense not to take advantage of it and get a new phone.

That being said, if there is an official program that would basically let me hand them my iPhone 4 and receive an iPhone 5 in return, I'm probably lazy enough to do it. How much more would than $200 would I really get for a basic 16gb black iPhone 4 anyway?

Depends on condition and whether it's unlocked...those are main selling points. Just look on ebay to get an idea.

People interact with the GUI not the minor internal hardware changes. Anything remotely interesting within the software has already been announced or released.

If they release one major version once per year and this is what they come up with then they're going to face stiff competition from companies that have no such tradition and are willing to refresh their flagship phones on a more frequent basis.

Majine

Banned
Is it really the thinnest smartphone? They said that during the keynote, but I'm doubting. I think I've seen thinner.

How the fuck do you define what's expected? If there weren't so many leaks from every single aspect of the event, it would have been great. Yes, even the new iPhone.

The leaks are what killed them.

I don't know if this is true or not. The biggest surprise/change was the screen size. Even then it feels like a wasted opportunity since it was height only and it really didn't show a lot of advantages adding that vertical high gained from iOS. What else was there? I don't think the announcement would have been as great as some people like to excuse the leaks for.

Is it really the thinnest smartphone? They said that during the keynote, but I'm doubting. I think I've seen thinner.

They said it was the thinnest iPhone, not thinnest phone I think.

If you are up for a full subsidy, it makes zero sense not to take advantage of it and get a new phone.

It's still going to cost you $200 to $400 and lock you in for a new two year contract. That makes sense to not take advantage of it.

sangreal

is AT&T the only carrier that allows you to talk and use the internet at the same time, or has 4G/LTE fixed this problem?

cause i have AT&T now and i really really really really hate them.

I still find this an overrated feature, but my Verizon phone has supported it (SVDO) for over 1.5 years. Depends on the phone, so no clue about iPhone on Verizon

snoopen

......so tell me. What is superior about the s3 unless you prefer android, because you android fanboys are clearly out of your minds. 4-4s upgrade was nothing? What?! Blatant trolling here. A hardware bump to a6 which will most likely be the king of the benchmarks once again just as the a5 was and suddenly people have stopped caring about hardware upgrades to ios devices. But if android devices get a spec bump everyone drools over it. Double standard here.
I really do feel bad for the apple teenies who will buy this.

dc89

Thing is. I'd have to drop £529 ($851). That's a lot of money.

Insaniac

Are apple fans the most rabid and obnoxious fans? yes. My 'friend' just said, defending iPhone 5 "Enjoy using google maps" wut?

Been thinking this would be my first iPhone (also my first Apple product period, and first real smartphone too), but I'm slightly underwhelmed. I hoped for a better camera, but it's the same?* Ironically, I think the most brilliant idea in the most iPhone 5 is the digital connector that can be inserted either side! (this always frustrated me in other connectors, including USB)

Might spring for a used 4S if I can find a good bargain.

Edit: I see it has some improvements now; video stabilization, low light performance, photos while shooting video. Not bad!

beast786

I looked into abandoning Tmobile for an iPhone, but it was going to take us from $110 a month after taxes for my wife and I to a minimum of $135 after taxes. We couldn't justify the increased expenditure.

Sprint certainly has the most compelling prices/plans of the three, but it seems that certain areas of the country have pretty shoddy coverage.

Probably check with friends/family that have Sprint or Verizon and see how they like the service. Also, if you work for a company, check if they have discounts with the carriers.

For example, I work for a law firm and we have discounts with AT&T and Verizon for sure.

I know couple of friends who have S/AT. Will ask around.

Thank you two for the help.

LordCanti

Depends on condition and whether it's unlocked...those are main selling points. Just look on ebay to get an idea.

I'm seeing $300-$400 for a mint unlocked iPhone 4 16gb/black. So $100-$200 more than a straight IP4 -> IP5 trade, minus paypal fees and plus the hassle of having to sell something on Ebay (to someone who might just dispute the charges on me).

Hmm....

My question stands: Is there an official "trade your iPhone in" program at either AT&T or Apple?

I realize that I'm a lazy bastard

Top Bottom