• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

X-Frame

Mine says it will arrive by 10:30 AM tomorrow too. How often will the carrier stick to this deadline?

Or does everyone's say 10:30 AM?

Zeth

I'll probably just continue using Waze if I don't like new maps. It's free and it's the most fantastic navigation app out there.

Oxn

Can someone tell me if this Apple maps need an internet connection to work?

Is it a Standalone GPS?

Say I dont have a data plan or wifi. WIll it work?

Can someone tell me if this Apple maps need an internet connection to work?

Is it a Standalone GPS?

Say I dont have a data plan or wifi. WIll it work?

It won't display maps if you are not on an internet connection, no. Exactly like Maps before Mapaggeddon.

att didn't send me an email so I had to check manually on their site, it says its shipped! I was so worried I wouldn't get it until October or some crap.

Same here, never got an email about shipping but out of curiosity, I checked My Orders under the AT&T site and it’s shipped along with a FedEx track number. Scheduled for tomorrow before 3PM; yay! I was worried because I didn’t get my order in until around 8AM Friday morning, and after hearing about preorders selling out so quickly through the Apple site, I thought I was bonesawed.

jcm

Maps and directions isn't really something you should have the public beta test.

And I'm not sure anyone's going to have a personal satellite to help Apple out either.

There's no way to roll out a new map and have it be perfect. Google maps were flaky in the beginning, too. Having hundreds of millions of devices sending data to the servers is the best way to get better fast. Obviously, this isn't going to improve the satellite photos, but then, how many people really care about the satellite photos?

MasLegio

Banned
There's no way to roll out a new map and have it be perfect. Google maps were flaky in the beginning, too. Having hundreds of millions of devices sending data to the servers is the best way to get better fast. Obviously, this isn't going to improve the satellite photos, but then, how many people really care about the satellite photos?

so the iPhone will ask every user:
"What street are you on now? (please spell correctly)"
Is river placed correctly? (Y/N)
Where are you now? (please spell correctly)"
"Is the current establishement ?
A: Open
B: Closed for the day
C: Out of business"

mapping correctly does not work by magic, it needs real work by professionals

also, there are loads of government bodies and citizens that do not like millions of devices "mapping" and sending data just like that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Update iOS / get brand new phone, lose key functionality and it's demonstrably shit by showing how little information it has from the imagery to the lack of even knowing roads are there. It's a disaster no matter how you look at it, and I really don't think people driving down a road it doesn't know is there is going to do much to fill in road names and tell them Woolworths went bankrupt.

What they are starting from is amazingly shit.

Update iOS / get brand new phone, lose key functionality and it's demonstrably shit by showing how little information it has from the imagery to the lack of even knowing roads are there. It's a disaster no matter how you look at it, and I really don't think people driving down a road it doesn't know is there is going to do much to fill in road names and tell them Woolworths went bankrupt.

Satellite data is from a difference source, Driving directions data are from a difference source (TomTom)

I don't see people throwing their tomtom gps devices, do you?

Blackhead

Redarse

Apple pundits said that about Siri too. Lol.

Maps actually relies more on boots on the ground. Having people just using (or not using & switching to mobile gmaps as planar1280 suggests they do) the apps isn't just going to make it better. Apple needs to, at a minimum, provide an easy way for people to be contributing to the OpenMaps data. Or buy their own GIS company and send out the trucks

jcm

mapping correctly does not work by magic, it needs real work by professionals

Yeah, no shit. You think professionals aren't working on it?

All maps are missing streets, or have streets in the wrong place. Apple's map has more errors than Google's. This was inevitable when they decided to make their own map app. It may have been a mistake to do so, but once that decision was made this was going to happen.

I'm not making excuses for them - I agree it's a bummer. But I'm being realistic. And I'm being realistic when I say it will improve quickly.

rinse82

Come on guys, maps can be updated. Google wasn't always great.....and isn't great everywhere on the map. I still find spots in streetview where the picture looks like it was taken in a bunch of fog, or in the middle of the night with a bad low light camera.

just stop.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Mine says it left apple on the 16th, and I won't get it until the 25th :/... there's also no transit updates on the UPS website.. boourns.

"A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Hopefully it still arrives on Friday :(

NYR

Apple just sent me a text (on my Android phone) to tell me my iPhone shipped.

Google is going to send a code to your phone to have it destroyed.

Come on guys, maps can be updated. Google wasn't always great.....and isn't great everywhere on the map. I still find spots in streetview where the picture looks like it was taken in a bunch of fog, or in the middle of the night with a bad low light camera.
Comments like these are why people hate people who like Apple.

Huh, odd, I got my lighting adapters today.

Yes, I said adapters. I need five for my four iPhone docks in the home as well as my Mercedes, because I WILL NOT carry that ugly thing around in my pocket to use with all of them. Steve Jobs would never have approved this abomination.

kingocfs

Yes, I said adapters. I need five for my four iPhone docks in the home as well as my Mercedes.

images

I ordered online via Verizon the day that pre-orders launched.
(not at 3am but rather at about 9am when I woke up)
I got my email this morning saying that it has shipped and is in
Memphis TN. But is supposed to be here tomorrow before 3pm.
Mine is shipping through fedex and came with a tracking number.
If this helps any doubts mine just started today but I have overnight
shipping
. So it should be here tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I have never owned an iphone and have been bouncing from cheap andriods
for a long long long time.

jet1911

Any canadians ordered from Rogers? I ordered mine on Rogers website last friday, is there a way to know when I'll receive my phone?

2 rumors:

1) they are waiting until Josh is on Fallon tonight, or

2) they were not given a review phone.

I think it is #2 but if Josh shows up with the new phone on Fallon, #1 it is.

I think it has to be 2, why would they want to be the last tech site to have the review up on purpose? By the time the review is up millions will have the phone already hours later.

They've had some critical articles on Apple since iPhone conference, something you don't see from major website, so Apple probably got pissed off at them for saying anything negative.

MasLegio

Banned
Steve Jobs most certainly approved of the faux Lightning cable and to not have adaptors included with the iPhone 5. To think otherwise is naive. The development cycle (including business decisions) for iPhone 5 was much longer than 10 months.

Cloudy

Banned
Huh, odd, I got my lighting adapters today.

Yes, I said adapters. I need five for my four iPhone docks in the home as well as my Mercedes, because I WILL NOT carry that ugly thing around in my pocket to use with all of them. Steve Jobs would never have approved this abomination.

It'd have been cheaper to just wait for the inevitable 3rd party one.

jcm

Steve Jobs most certainly approved of the faux Lightning cable and to not have adaptors included with the iPhone 5. To think otherwise is naive. The development cycle (including business decisions) for iPhone 5 was much longer than 10 months.

I don't care who approved it, the whole situation is bullshit. $20 cables and $30 adapters suck.

I don't care who approved it, the whole situation is bullshit. $20 cables and $30 adapters suck.

it is bullshit, but luckily I haven't bought 1 single iAccessory, I just have the free cables that came with the products.

I guess now is the time to start a collection

Marco1

I'll be joining the queue about 10a.m. tomorrow so I'm hoping they'll have a 32GB Black and have me in and out quickly.
If not then the wait until Oct will be annoying.

BowieZ

Banned
8 hours to go! (8am Brisbane time)

Could any Aussies estimate how long/early i would have to line up at a JB Hifi to get a white model?

Miker

Over 48 hours since last update - UPS says my phone is still departing Alaska as of 1AM on 9/18. But it also says it's on time for scheduled delivery before 10:30 AM tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

It's £530. :p

sush you! ;)
Though the more I look at the more Im tempted to go for the 16Gb on O2 for £31 a month..

I dont even NEED a phone why am I even looking at all this!? Probably because I use the camera loads and the one on the 3gs is bloody aweful.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
My AT&T order via FedEx is in Newark. Woohoo. Says should be delivered mañana before 3 PM. :D

Epix

Over 48 hours since last update - UPS says my phone is still departing Alaska as of 1AM on 9/18. But it also says it's on time for scheduled delivery before 10:30 AM tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

It's probably been shipped with Overnight (next day) shipping and being held at the original shipping facility. Usally Apple will ship their stuff with a "Future Delivery Date" request, to ensure that it doesn't get to you before the street date.

I'll be joining the queue about 10a.m. tomorrow so I'm hoping they'll have a 32GB Black and have me in and out quickly.
If not then the wait until Oct will be annoying.
Good luck, you'll need it. Plus a miracle, plus everybody forgetting that Apple is releasing the next iPhone, and you win some sort of front of line pass for just being you.

Aesthet1c

Man I can't decide if I want to pre-sign or not.

I don't know if I will be home when UPS comes tomorrow and I really don't want to miss it. But if I pre-sign and it gets stolen off my doorstep it's my fault. Decisions....

jcm

It's probably been shipped with Overnight (next day) shipping and being held at the original shipping facility. Usally Apple will ship their stuff with a "Future Delivery Date" request, to ensure that it doesn't get to you before the street date.

Yep. Both my phones came to a screeching halt on Tuesday - one in Lousiville, one in Anchorage. I expect them both to get on an airplane tonight, hit BWI before dawn, and get on the truck to DC by about 7. Can't wait to retire my 3GS.

Man I can't decide if I want to pre-sign or not.

I don't know if I will be home when UPS comes tomorrow and I really don't want to miss it. But if I pre-sign and it gets stolen off my doorstep it's my fault. Decisions....

Is package theft a concern in your area? Do you not normally have things dropped off? I've had probably over a thousand parcels delivered to my doorstep by FedEx/UPS in the past several years with none of them disappearing, so I never am too concerned about pre-signing for the Apple ones. Although I'll still be home tomorrow anyways.

Top Bottom