• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LaneDS

Good news: card charged, and got a tracking # from Verizon this morning with a delivery date of tomorrow.

Bad news: they fucked up, and the phone is set to be activated using my brother's phone number so I'll have to deal with Verizon's support tomorrow which I fully expect to be a nightmare to get sorted out. But hey, iPhone 5!

Haribo

Banned
I haven't updated to iOS 6 yet, was just waiting for the new phone.

I don't think Bournemouth is going to fare very well

Actually, Bournemouth does alright. Not as good as Google Maps or the 3D cities, but alright.

p2Ssy.jpg

... in comparison here is Hastings, where my parents live.

ALyhY.jpg

Jesus. The entire area is just cloud.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

The iOS thread is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477967&page=43

Actually, Bournemouth does alright. Not as good as Google Maps or the 3D cities, but alright.

http://i.imgur.com/p2Ssy.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ALyhY.jpg[img]

Jesus. The entire area is just cloud.[/QUOTE]
The iOS thread is here: [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477967&page=43[/url]

Talon

Tried to cancel my order because I was planning on standing in line...and I was refused. Pretty annoying.

And then 5 minutes later, I got an email confirming shipment due in tomorrow.

Yeah, yeah, fuck you, AT&T.

LosDaddie

Banned
I don't know what's the proper thread to ask these, so forgive me if I'm IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD:

1) What's a good calendar / planner app to download/buy? Is the standard calendar app on iPhone & iPad a solid choice?

2) Best QR Code app?

thanks in advance.

NYR

ALyhY.jpg

That is laughable. Apple should have waited to upgrade. Thank god you can go to Google Maps via the browser and add an icon to your home screen.

Well apparently my nano sim was activated too early because my 4S just died. "No service." As if I needed more reason to wait impatiently for tomorrow.

Presco

Hoping for big sales numbers this weekend and lots of media on the long lines at launch. Loaded up on weekly AAPL options this morning :)

Wasn't initially planning on it but if my profits are nice then I'll grab the new phone for myself and my wife. WTF at those maps though. Think I'll hold off on the iOS6 update on my 4 for now.

jcm

Interesting. I can't duplicate your hastings results on my 3GS. I wonder if thats a hardware issue, of if they just remembered to show the <no satellite image> photo when the rez gets bad.

lm4GI.png

Talon

I don't know what's the proper thread to ask these, so forgive me if I'm IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD:

1) What's a good calendar / planner app to download/buy? Is the standard calendar app on iPhone & iPad a solid choice?

2) Best QR Code app?

thanks in advance.
1. The standard app is good. Calvetica is better looking and a community favorite. The advantage the standard app is that Siri will plop information straight in there. Soon or later (probably much later), we'll have the ability to specify third party apps as defaults. T_T

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Should I be worried about this, apple sent me an email letting me know my phone is being shipped yet on the ups tracking it has not left the origin scan city. My sister's tracking info already shown it has left the origin scan city and is on route. I am worried ups might just screw something up I have so many problems with them.

TwIsTeD

Just talked to my UPS driver buddy who delivers me wonderful Amazon packages every other day haha...said they had a company wide meeting and if any slipped through the cracks they aren't allowed to deliver them early period...go go FedEx oh well its just a phone anyway

bumpkin

T-minus 24 hours-ish... It's going to be so brutal when I get the call or email saying that my iPhone 5 is in and ready to be picked up. I'll likely be sitting at work when it happens, and unable to go get it 'til I get out of work late in the afternoon. Oh cruel fate!

mr stroke

Should I be worried about this, apple sent me an email letting me know my phone is being shipped yet on the ups tracking it has not left the origin scan city. My sister's tracking info already shown it has left the origin scan city and is on route. I am worried ups might just screw something up I have so many problems with them.

No don't worry

UPS does this all the time with my Amazon orders. They just haven't updated tracking yet.

It is Wednesday September 20th 2012, and I still do not have a tracking number from Sprint.

Thank you Sprint. Way to introduce yourselves to a new customer. For over a week now all I have is this

Thank you for pre-ordering the 16GB iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Pre-orders placed through 2 pm CT on 9/14 will arrive on or around 9/21. Pre-orders placed after 2 pm CT on 9/14 through 10:00 am CT on 9/19 will ship in 2 weeks. Orders placed after 10:00 am CT on 9/19 will ship in 3 weeks. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

Awesome stuff. Im in fuckin limbo............................

Scuffgate + mapsgate = This is the end of Apple. Like, for reals this time. Promise.

In other news, I just received my shipping confirmation email. Sadly, I won't get to play with my white iPhone 5 until Friday evening :(

LordCanti

I finally got a tracking number. Scumbag AT&T did ship it FedEx, with delivery by 3pm. You lucky "by 10am" guys will have a jump on me ;_;

Oh well, having ordered at 4am, I didn't think I'd get a phone at all. I'm pleasantly surprised.

What do I need to do in order to get my apps from the old phone onto the new phone? Backup in itunes, then restore to the new phone? Do I need to update the old phone to ios6 before doing that?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Scuffgate + mapsgate = This is the end of Apple. Like, for reals this time. Promise.

In other news, I just received my shipping confirmation email. Sadly, I won't get to play with my white iPhone 5 until Friday evening :(

Apple going third party confir-- er, wait.

andycapps

It is Wednesday September 20th 2012, and I still do not have a tracking number from Sprint.

Thank you Sprint. Way to introduce yourselves to a new customer. For over a week now all I have is this

Thank you for pre-ordering the 16GB iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Pre-orders placed through 2 pm CT on 9/14 will arrive on or around 9/21. Pre-orders placed after 2 pm CT on 9/14 through 10:00 am CT on 9/19 will ship in 2 weeks. Orders placed after 10:00 am CT on 9/19 will ship in 3 weeks. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder.

Awesome stuff. Im in fuckin limbo............................

It's not just Sprint from what it looks like in this thread. Some people with Sprint have seen it ship already. I hope I get the email sometime this afternoon though that it's being overnighted.

NM: literally just got the email from Sprint. It's being delivered tomorrow by UPS.

Naka

If the black band really scratches off that easily I'm going to promptly exchange for white. That seems like a pretty bad design if that's the case.

Ok, I just got overnight shipping info.

Kentucky to LA...........here we go. Now I just wish I got white because of the scuffs, but what ever.

Love you guys!

AngryMoth

Ok my order still hasn't been processed so I'm going on the hunt tomorrow. Anybody know which UK retailers will be carrying it? I heard that Curry's often has Apple products on day 1?

ChanHuk

Banned
Well I don't think I'll be getting one from Best Buy tomorrow, nor do I feel like standing in line for one. Getting too old to be camping out for things unless I'm making a profit on it.

BUT for those of you buying a phone from Best Buy (regardless if its an iPhone). Here's a link you can sign up for, upgrade your line after 10/1 and get a $25 giftcard https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17413&type=page&DCMP=rdr17341&ref=159&loc=02 Stack it with the RZ membership ($5 for every $250) and my 5% cashback through Chase. I'll be getting about a $60 discount on my 64GB iPhone. Eases the pain of not getting the phone on day 1 and the asinine tax on full retail rather than subsidized pricing.

LosDaddie

Banned
I use Scan. It's free, the app name and icon make perfect sense for the functionality so that it looks more or less like a built-in feature, and the interface is clear and lets you directly store contact details, view websites etc. within the app.

1. The standard app is good. Calvetica is better looking and a community favorite. The advantage the standard app is that Siri will plop information straight in there. Soon or later (probably much later), we'll have the ability to specify third party apps as defaults. T_T

Thanks!

jcm

My anchorage phone just showed up in Louisville. Hopefully I'll get them both in the same pre-10:30 delivery tomorrow. I have to leave the house at 5 tomorrow night, and I don't live in a neighborhood that's safe to pre-sign.

That is laughable. Apple should have waited to upgrade. Thank god you can go to Google Maps via the browser and add an icon to your home screen.
Google Maps on the browser sucks though. It's nowhere near as smooth, and StreetView requires Flash. The Google Maps app on iOS5 is smooth, and uses StreetView with no problems.

Top Bottom