• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Con_Smith

Banned
Interesting iphone users see no need to jump while some android users seem ready to take the plunge. I'm cool with my Droid 4. I'd rather have the option of upgrading through alternate means and customization just to jump the boat. I dunno what it would take me to jump to the IOS platform and at this point after playing with jellybean so long I don't know if I truely care.

How the fuck do you define what's expected? If there weren't so many leaks from every single aspect of the event, it would have been great. Yes, even the new iPhone.

The leaks are what killed them.

Yup. Imagine if we didn't know about the screen size, LTE, and the camera upgrade.

That an separate annoucements for iOS and iPhone. Imagine if today with no leaks Apple announced the iPhone 5 with new maps, and all the other features of iOS 6. The entire blogoshere and media outlet would be drooling beyond comprehension.

jts

...hate me...
If you are up for a full subsidy, it makes zero sense not to take advantage of it and get a new phone.
Here where I live we don't do it that way. We usually pay full price for phones and get pre-paid plans.

Ever since apple patented that pico-projector technology, I've been waiting for those motherfuckers to incorporate it into their iphone so I could project the display onto the ceiling so I can watch youtube video in bed without holding anything.

This phone hasn't got anything new. After all this time, who thought this would be a good idea? That making it thinner would be enough?

SUPREME1

Banned
iPhone is now almost completely EVOLUTIONARY instead of REVOLUTIONARY.

Which is fine as a business model. They are printing money at this point and so why mess with something that works, right.

That said, there was nothing intriguing unveiled about the iPhone5. More of the same, but with incremental increases (mostly in specs). Even then, those specs are nothing to get excited about.

Battery life, while important, just isn't what will get people talking. It's all just so safe.

Screen size was increased yeah, but it just doesn't excite with that resolution.

It's a tad thinner and lighter... which I'm sure is an engineering feat, but not something that will stand out next top every other slim smart phone.

I am going to be upgrading phones in December and was getting my hopes up about the iPhone5. After the unveiling though, it's just one of a couple of options again. Maybe I end up with one, maybe not.

That charcoal black looks sexy though. Even with the ugly (big) bezels at the top and bottom. It looks real nice.

sangreal

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3322892/phil-schiller-passbook-nfc-lightning

In short, schiller thinks passport is all folks really need and nfc is useless (tbf, none of my android friends ever actually used nfc ever). And wireless charging is pointless due to you still need to plug shit to the wall.

And it does seem lightning exists just because they ran out of room designing iphone 5 lol.

I find NFC pretty useless right now, but all merchants will be forced to switch to NFC and other chip-based POS systems in the next 2-3 years so it is pretty shortsighted not to include it in new phones

Ever since apple patented that pico-projector technology, I've been waiting for those motherfuckers to incorporate it into their iphone so I could project the display onto the ceiling so I can watch youtube video in bed without holding anything.

This phone hasn't got anything new. After all this time, who thought this would be a good idea? That making it thinner would be enough?

Believe it or not... a lot of techy people LOVE/CRAVE thin form factors for electronics. I know several people who got a GS3 because of it's thinness! Not the software, hardware, but the form factor.

I find NFC pretty useless right now, but all merchants will be forced to switch to NFC and other chip-based POS systems in the next few years so it is pretty shortsighted not to include it in new phones

In the US it is sorta useless, but other regions seem to be updating NFC much, much faster.

lupinko

Can someone elaborate on the separate band thing? I'm going to buy an unlocked gsm iPhone 5 here in Canada and I'm planning to move to Japan next year. Since I'm sticking with gsm I should be okay right with global lte usage?

How the fuck do you define what's expected? If there weren't so many leaks from every single aspect of the event, it would have been great. Yes, even the new iPhone.

The leaks are what killed them.

Largely opinion. The stuff in the 5 is a major yawner, personally, leaks or not.

The one thing I always find a huge advantage from the iPhone 4 or 4S vs other phones is that the phone itself is just an all round well made product. It feels strong, firm and the gorilla glass is almost indestructible. There is no cheap plastic being used around the borders, and that is something that companies like Samsung can never reach.

Largely opinion. The stuff in the 5 is a major yawner, personally, leaks or not.

I think forum goers and tech nerds have been conditioned by all the massive design changes and feature crams we see EVERY year from the Android and WP camp. And now... somehow... that's expected of Apple?

Yup. Imagine if we didn't know about the screen size, LTE, and the camera upgrade.

That an separate annoucements for iOS and iPhone. Imagine if today with no leaks Apple announced the iPhone 5 with new maps, and all the other features of iOS 6. The entire blogoshere and media outlet would be drooling beyond comprehension.

An incremental camera upgrade and LTE (in this day and age) would make people drool? I don't think so. Larger screen is a wash because as many people love the current phone size as want a larger one.

If I were looking to buy a used 4S on ebay, would it be prudent to start looking now for bargains or does it not matter much if I wait some days/week?

Zeth

What is amazing about the S3? Nobody seems to be fielding this one.

Nothing really, unless you fancy 5" screens. Everything else is ho hum next to the iPhone 5. People are just unusually insecure about the electronics they purchase.

I find NFC pretty useless right now, but all merchants will be forced to switch to NFC and other chip-based POS systems in the next 2-3 years so it is pretty shortsighted not to include it in new phones
To be fair, apple does tend to get to new tech when it's popular, not when it's 'fresh'

I can't imagine iPhone won't have NFC in 2-3 years.

I think forum goers and tech nerds have been conditioned by all the massive design changes and feature crams we see EVERY year from the Android and WP camp. And now... somehow... that's expected of Apple?

And it's weird because we essentially got that out of Apple. A bigger screen, LTE, better battery all in a thinner enclosure is a pretty damn big jump, at least in my opinion.

entremet

It just seems that those disappointed with the iPhone 5 haven't clearly articulated why they're disappointed.

From what I gather, most who are wanted a UI overhaul, but that's an OS update, not something that a new phone would ameliorate.

Nothing really, unless you fancy 5" screens. Everything else is ho hum next to the iPhone 5. People are just unusually insecure about the electronics they purchase.

C'mon man, you're acting just as bad as the android folks. The same could be said about the iPhone.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Biggest improvement of the new iphone (other than the obvious speed bump) is the 45% better color saturation. This was really a weak point on 4 and 4s, and it's nice that they've addressed it. I think they've done a decent job with phone overal, it's great that it's lighter and thinner. If it had NFC, I'd be tempted to upgrade, but as it is I won't.

And it's weird because we essentially got that out of Apple. A bigger screen, LTE, better battery all in a thinner enclosure is a pretty damn big jump, at least in my opinion.

The thing is, even without leaks, you could have predicted everything but the screen. Had there not been any leaks, would you have bet against LTE, a spec bump, and better power efficiency?

LuffyZoro

I'm not interested in the iPhone because of the expensive plan, but the new iPod Touch looks pretty nice. Maybe it's about time to update from my third generation.

Dizzan

MINI Member
No turn by turn in Australia means my wife will be jumping ship to Android. Her GPS died recently and she is rubbish at directions. I'm not buying a standalone GPS again.

Too bad Android has f-all content in Australi (music, tv, magazines etc).

Top Bottom