• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Damn, if I sold my 16GB iPhone 4S for 350 and upgraded to a 32GB iPhone 5...that would be 400 dollars.

I guess I'm waiting until next year :(

Clipse

Hrm, what about the Ultra Optics? Anti-glare seems to be useful...
The matte finish on anti-glare screen protectors really mess up screen clarity imo, but not having to wipe off fingerprints all the time is pretty convenient.

Looks like they don't even have Ultra Optics for the iPhone 5 available anyway. Just crystal and oleophobic.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So who else is a crazy storage hoarder and is getting the 64 GB model?
Me. I figure I'd be using this phone for a while anyhow.

The matte finish on anti-glare screen protectors really mess up screen clarity imo, but not having to wipe off fingerprints all the time is pretty convenient.

Looks like they don't even have Ultra Optics for the iPhone 5 available anyway. Just crystal and oleophobic.
Yeah, the random reviews on the iPhone 5 ones say to wait for the Ultra Optics so I have no idea. How are the Ultra Crystal ones?

Mairu

So who else is a crazy storage hoarder and is getting the 64 GB model?

fe4f1f1778a91cbde39f5c4384d0df12.png

Yep. Though it might look like I still have space, that space is only there due to iOS' dumb way of updating apps (have to download the whole app to update, this works great when infinity blade has an update!) Tired of having to delete music to make room for apps, and having to delete apps to make room for music.

Has anyone sold a phone on Gazelle? Was the process easy? Also, do I take my sim card out? I'm not clear on how that works when selling a phone.

Kinda curious about this too. Was looking for an easy way to sell my 4.

Freakin' 5 just dropped in Earth City. Gah, it's like 20 minutes away :l

I just flipped my 4 with them. Perfectly smooth experience. Two days to get the pre-paid box, two days for them to get it back, two days to process and Paypal me the dough. They gave me the quoted price for never-cased, but perfectly working two year old phone.

fe4f1f1778a91cbde39f5c4384d0df12.png

Yep. Though it might look like I still have space, that space is only there due to iOS' dumb way of updating apps (have to download the whole app to update, this works great when infinity blade has an update!) Tired of having to delete music to make room for apps, and having to delete apps to make room for music.

Even if you didn't have that issue, I would definitely upgrade to 64 GB if you're sitting at under 2 GB extra space left. At that point, you're making download/sync decisions based on space. I like being able to never worry about how much space I have left. $400 is a lot, but at least I know I'll get a lot of that money back when I resell it.

Looks like I'm going with the white one if this ends up to be a real issue. On the plus side, I'll no longer lose my phone while playing games/watching tv in the dark.

Flo_Evans

I am going 32. There is so much streaming services now I feel I only really need to store stuff for the rare instance I am without network coverage, and content created on the phone. Unless they are out of them, then 64 all the way. Fuck it I might as well get 64 right?

Oh yeah I am going to expense this bitch.

My only dilemma is giving up unlimited for tethering. I think I will do that too. Would rather pay $10 for more data than be throttled!

LordCanti

People in Australia are noticing scuffing out of the box/with light use...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1983618&p=3

Must...remain....zen....

It's hard when your IP4 upgrade to iOS 6 has just completed, and then somehow turned into a phone restore, where the restore fails, and all you want to do is sleep but the damn thing won't let you. Then you re-do the restore you didn't want to happen in the first place, and a lot of your apps are missing. You're reinstalling them through the app store, but that also seems to be taking forever.

All you wanted was an iOS 6 backup to easily apply to the IP5, but nooooo. Fuck iTunes.

I am going 32. There is so much streaming services now I feel I only really need to store stuff for the rare instance I am without network coverage, and content created on the phone. Unless they are out of them, then 64 all the way. Fuck it I might as well get 64 right?

Oh yeah I am going to expense this bitch.

My only dilemma is giving up unlimited for tethering. I think I will do that too. Would rather pay $10 for more data than be throttled!

I'm not sold on streaming services replacing internal storage. The only real space they can save you is for music. This may not be the same for most, but I tend to listen to music the most on my phone when I don't have a good internet connection or no internet at all. And it would suck if I lost access to my music when I want to listen to it the most.

Mairu

Even if you didn't have that issue, I would definitely upgrade to 64 GB if you're sitting at under 2 GB extra space left. At that point, you're making download/sync decisions based on space. I like being able to never worry about how much space I have left. $400 is a lot, but at least I know I'll get a lot of that money back when I resell it.

Yeah, I was going back and forth between 32 or 64 or 32 with iTunes Match or 64 with iTunes Match or something and ultimately figured to go with 64. It's kind of ridiculous how much more expensive the size increase is though. Maybe iOS6' poor reception will lead to greater price competition in the future? Probably not considering Apple :p

Who else is going to rock a 16 gig?

My iPad is 32 gig and it feels like more than enough space. Most of my Heavy duty apps will live on that device.

Also, I have almost no music.

Yeah, I was going back and forth between 32 or 64 or 32 with iTunes Match or 64 with iTunes Match or something and ultimately figured to go with 64. It's kind of ridiculous how much more expensive the size increase is though. Maybe iOS6' poor reception will lead to greater price competition in the future? Probably not considering Apple :p

I'm hoping they drop the 32 GB to $200 and the 64 GB down to $300. Kill the 16 GB model.

Piggus

Who else is going to rock a 16 gig?

My iPad is 32 gig and it feels like more than enough space. Most of my Heavy duty apps will live on that device.

Also, I have almost no music.

Me... Would have liked a 32 gig but can't afford it this time. Didn't really have that much of an issue with space with my 3GS and 4 (both 16gb) so I don't think it will be a problem.

Edit: lol have fun with your scuffed edges, buyers of the black version! And remember next time that when it comes to Apple products, black is whack, if it ain't white it ain't right, etc.

I think I could probably get away with 16GB with how I much I stream, but I went 32 anyway.

That £30 markup on the 16 doesn't help it much as a value proposition. Sucks for people who want that model.

LordCanti

I updated my IP4 to iOS 6, and I can't find a... "backup and then erase phone for resale" button.

Does such a thing exist, or is there some long series of hoops I need to jump through?

It's the finish, aka scuffage. I don't think anyone thinks the metal is chipping away.

The best explanation I've heard is that the chamfering caused the finish to weaken, resulting in it scuffing easily along that edge.

I updated my IP4 to iOS 6, and I can't find a... "backup and then erase phone for resale" button.

Does such a thing exist, or is there some long series of hoops I need to jump through?

The best explanation I've heard is that the chamfering caused the finish to weaken, resulting in it scuffing easily along that edge.

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Edit: Backup first obviously, in whichever way you prefer. Cloud or local.

Settings>General>Reset

LordCanti

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

Edit: Backup first obviously, in whichever way you prefer. Cloud or local.

So I backup in Itunes, and then erase on the phone itself, and then it will restore to the IP5? Thanks.

Settings>General>Reset

Thank you.

Yep. When you activate the 5 you'll have the option to restore from backup or set up as new phone.

I couldn't find a manual "backup button" which was throwing me for a loop. Then I right clicked the iPhone icon in Itunes and there it was. Scumbag Itunes, where all the functionality is hidden in menus ><

Thanks again.

UrokeJoe

She's coming back... only two people in line. She is going to sleep some and take her chances at like 4am.. Do I still want a ultimate cheesburger on sourdough?

I said no.

Top Bottom