• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My iPhone is out for delivery! Yay!

Pfft whatever, I have all these in my warehouse. One for each day of the year:

It's FedEx's sorting center.

eftUL.gif

Zaph

Funny thing is, the delivery lady pulled up (exhausted, tires screeching) with 3 of the exact same parcel for my street alone (<100 houses).

I think that 2M announcement was a very conservative estimate...

I got my 5 earlier today and loving it, but has anyone who has it have issues with the physical quality of the back? I don't have a camera good enough to take a photo of it, but it is in a few places where the back glass meets the aluminium. It seems like the aluminium was cut really roughly and you can actually feel it in a few spots. Hard to explain, I'll try and take a picture. It's very visible and really irritating.

Edit: Managed to take a photo with its own camera. You can see what I mean under the camera there, it is as visible in person as it is in the photo, and you can feel it. It's like that in lots of places. All the other scuffs are just dust.

XHMCJl.jpg

mrkgoo

I got my 5 earlier today and loving it, but has anyone who has it have issues with the physical quality of the back? I don't have a camera good enough to take a photo of it, but it is in a few places where the back glass meets the aluminium. It seems like the aluminium was cut really roughly and you can actually feel it in a few spots. Hard to explain, I'll try and take a picture. It's very visible and really irritating.

Eh, that looks bad. So much for the 29mp cameras making sure there was a precision match of components.

I'm going to wait a month to save up and go into an Apple Store to see the iPhone models. I'm sure after a month, the displays will show enough scuffing to determine if the black ones are vulnerable to scuffs.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm going to wait a month to save up and go into an Apple Store to see the iPhone models. I'm sure after a month, the displays will show enough scuffing to determine if the black ones are vulnerable to scuffs.
Oh yeah, they'll definitely show it for sure if it is an issue.

Edit: Managed to take a photo with its own camera. You can see what I mean under the camera there, it is as visible in person as it is in the photo, and you can feel it. It's like that in lots of places. All the other scuffs are just dust.

XHMCJl.jpg

Damn.... Is white better quality wise ?

Flo_Evans

Ummmm I thought they used special hi res cameras to select components for a perfect fit?! Glad I am buying it in store... Going to open boxes till I get a good one.

XHMCJl.jpg
That isn't normal. Return it.

Marco1

Saw the queue this morning and thought FUCK THAT!
I think I will wait it out until I see how serious the scuffing problem is because I would really like that black but I also like to sell it without having problems out of my control.
Will be interesting to see how apple address this one.

Cyport

Not one to complain but Orange have handled this situation terribly. I've had no news and my phone didn't come with Royal Mail as they've been. Orange have left me in the dark not responding to emails and still showing my order status as "order being readied for dispatch". I pre-ordered at 10am on the 14th. I know people who pre-ordered at 2pm have theirs now or on the way. Usually wouldn't mind waiting a few days but I'm going to Bristol tomorrow for a while. Will have to wait till I get back late next week!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Not one to complain but Orange have handled this situation terribly. I've had no news and my phone didn't come with Royal Mail as they've been. Orange have left me in the dark not responding to emails and still showing my order status as "order being readied for dispatch". I pre-ordered at 10am on the 14th. I know people who pre-ordered at 2pm have theirs now or on the way. Usually wouldn't mind waiting a few days but I'm going to Bristol tomorrow for a while. Will have to wait till I get back late next week!

Phone them.

Bullring?

The Apple Store being the only thing listed on maps clearly worked!

What it doesn't show is that the store is another 50 meters or so from the door on the left. I queued there for my iPhone 4. Glad I pre-ordered this time, just waiting for DPD :)

They did give out free drinks however.

Marco1

XHMCJl.jpg

Return it, there's no way I would accept that for the money I give them.

Tobor

I got turned away at the mall parking lot. No line allowed until 6A this year due to "increased demand". Whatever. I was told I could pull back in at 5:45, so I'm waiting across the street.

Zaph

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/XHMCJl.jpg[/IMG]
As others have said, return it.

And don't worry about stock, even if they're sold out of retail units, they always have brown box ones for replacements.

Cookie18

Sat here waiting for the UPS guy to show up. The last tracking update showed it about 5-10 miles away from me and out for delivery at 4am. I hope I'm not sat here all day, or worse, miss it.

Flo_Evans

Shit.

I have to take one.

Shouldn't of ate that McDonald's. There are only 8 people here and I am 4 blocks from my house. Might have to bug out and go to the back of the "que" lol.

Cyport

Did you try calling the Orange Shop number?

Just done so and was on hold for ages. Not going to bother. Won't come today anyway so I'll have it waiting for me when I get back.. I hope! I'm waiting for replies to a few emails so the onus is on them.

Just thought problem might be due to the fact I pre-ordered while in Barcelona but can't see how it'd make a difference

And don't worry about stock, even if they're sold out of retail units, they always have brown box ones for replacements.

I'll definitely return it, I got it from a carrier here and I know they won't have a replacement and the nearest Apple store is a 2 hour drive. Ah well, I'll make an appointment.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just done so and was on hold for ages. Not going to bother. Won't come today anyway so I'll have it waiting for me when I get back.. I hope! I'm waiting for replies to a few emails so the onus is on them.

Just thought problem might be due to the fact I pre-ordered while in Barcelona but can't see how it'd make a difference

See if this number is any help 0500 802080, that usually gets things sorted quicker.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

XHMCJl.jpg
Hey man, that's micrometer precision inaccuracy, show a little respect.
Failed a credit check at O2, which is odd as my credit report is fine!
The only credit check I've ever failed was O2's to get an iPhone 4. I don't know whether they're just more stringent than other places or what. The most absurd thing is that even though they're a telecom company the only way you can query it is to write them a letter.

The increase in colour gamut over the 4S is pretty noticeable. Looks great.

These earpods are usable as well. I could live with using them when I want use of the inline mic.

Koodo

Banned
What if this scuffgate is just a bad batch of launch units?

The demo units at the unveiling event seemed to have remained pristine despite being used and abused by hundreds of people.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does anyone find the insistence by every person on the Internet that's ever commented on screensize that they have huge hands kind of amusing? It's transparently a 'I'm dead manly' kind of a thing. Seeing the Verge reviewer append 'I've got huge monster hands' to his comments jus brought it home.

Does anyone find the insistence by every person on the Internet that's ever commented on screensize that they have huge hands kind of amusing? It's transparently a 'I'm dead manly' kind of a thing. Seeing the Verge reviewer append 'I've got huge monster hands' to his comments jus brought it home.

In all fairness, Josh does have "huge monster hands".

Wubby

I just cancelled my pre-order with Softbank. Google maps is way to useful for me in Japan and I just can't make that switch. I'll be sticking with my 4S and not updating to iOS6. Hopefully Google has a replacement map app out by the time the 5S comes around. If not I'll be switching to Android.

Marco1

What if this scuffgate is just a bad batch of launch units?

The demo units at the unveiling event seemed to have remained pristine despite being used and abused by hundreds of people.

It's the way the phone is manufactured. There is no way to fix this.
It's also something to think about if you sell your phone to subsidise your next iphone purchase.
You should seriously consider the white version if this will annoy you as the phone will just get worse.

gamma

Are you sure about the stock? I'm thinking about exchanging too. Mine has a little scratch on the edge above the display. It's small but it annoys me. Will this count as an exchange or return? Cause afaik you can't return stuff you bought on the online Store in a retail Store.

Also my volume down button seems to be a little loose? Can anyone confirm this on his iPhone?

Zaph

Are you sure about the stock? I'm thinking about exchanging too. Mine has a little scratch on the edge above the display. It's small but it annoys me. Will this count as an exchange or return? Cause afaik you can't return stuff you bought on the online Store in a retail Store.

Also my volume down button seems to be a little loose? Can anyone confirm this on his iPhone?
The day after the 4S launched, I started having some weird mic problems. Walked into an Apple Store (even though my iPhone came via T-Mobile) and they replaced it on the spot even though there were massive "iPhone 4S sold out" signs everywhere.

Unless things have changed (or there is a massive amount of iPhone 5's that need replacing) I don't see why exchanging it would be a problem.

As for returns (I assume you mean money back?), I have no idea.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I just cancelled my pre-order with Softbank. Google maps is way to useful for me in Japan and I just can't make that switch. I'll be sticking with my 4S and not updating to iOS6. Hopefully Google has a replacement map app out by the time the 5S comes around. If not I'll be switching to Android.

Yeah thats the fear i have right now buying a iphone5 and moving soon to japan :/

gamma

The day after the 4S launched, I started having some weird mic problems. Walked into an Apple Store (even though my iPhone came via T-Mobile) and they replaced it on the spot even though there were massive "iPhone 4S sold out" signs everywhere.

Unless things have changed (or there is a massive amount of iPhone 5's that need replacing) I don't see why exchanging it would be a problem.

As for returns (I assume you mean money back?), I have no idea.

Thanks. Nah, I don't want to return it, I want a replacement. But I don't know if this is reason enough for an exchange. I tried taking a pic with my iPad. Its the scratch above the display on the metal band edge.

foto-kopie9hu8s.jpg

Top Bottom