• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

CrankyJay

Banned
First in line in Durham, got here at 10:45 PM last night, no one else showed until around 3:30am. Fuck, but I wish I hadn't gotten here so early.
Debating the scuff thing. I really, really want black, so I'm going to try that first. If it's scuffed, I'll have them open a white model. If that's scratched too, I'll go for another black and just take it, regardless of condition. I'll have a month to return it, so I can hope for a scuff free batch in the meantime.
Dammit, Apple.

I think the point is, you're going to end up scuffing it no matter what...

edit: Josh Topolsky is on the Today Show now

ahahaha, going over maps debacle now

Kiraly

Haha, hate footage of people walking out of the store crying and shouting in excitement and people clapping for them. That really scares me.

Where can I see this haha?

Also, what is the scuffing problem? I know the black version of HTC One S came with oxidized metal or something, which was very scuff prone.

Seth C

Sad. My shipping changed from "before 10:30am" to just "September 21" with no time. Not good customer service on the part of UPS to suddenly downgrade my expectations like that.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm all wireless. Bluetooth in the car, Airplay at home. I do have one old dock for the nightstand but I'll buy a new one later.

Anyway, I checked and they don't have any lightning accessories at all yet. Cables or adapters.

EDIT: Greyface, check this out:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/428223606/auris-bluetooth-for-your-dock
Yeah, I saw that. I dont need it though but I'm now on the lookout for folks selling their old docks for cheap lol

Hmm, just realized that my Ir remote that goes in the headphone jack probably won't work upside down. I wonder how Square is going to handle that

Fjolle

Sad. My shipping changed from "before 10:30am" to just "September 21" with no time. Not good customer service on the part of UPS to suddenly downgrade my expectations like that.

I think this one is yours:

XxpHe.jpg

Flo_Evans

Think I have any chance of getting one if I show up at 12:30 pm?

I specifically pre ordered because I have a regular 8-5 job :

Maybe. Do you live in a major city? Or the woods?

There is about 30 people in line at my AT&T store right now T-minus 1 hour till open.

I would call in late with car trouble... Just decline to be interviewed if the local news crew shows up. :p

ChanHuk

Banned
Yeah, I know. It's just so inconvenient. Luckily an Apple Store opened up in my city just a few weeks ago. I'll call and ask if they have replacement stock.

Even if they don't have one on hand, Apple will loan you a phone for a deposit, which could probably be waived seeing the circumstances.

Oxn

I work in the financial District of NYC, and just before stopping off at work I went to check out the line 2 blocks away.

Verizon, ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile are all on the same block LOL. (well across the street form each other)

And Im estimating about 30people per store (ATT and Verizon).

Doubt Ill be able to get mine at lunch.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I work in the financial District of NYC, and just before stopping off at work I went to check out the line 2 blocks away.

Verizon, ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile are all on the same block LOL. (well across the street form each other)

And Im estimating about 30people per store (ATT and Verizon).

Doubt Ill be able to get mine at lunch.

Ha. which block are you talking about?

Cookie18

I love the hardware of the 5. It feels so nice in the hand. I didn't love literally running across town in my pyjamas chasing the UPS van who thought I wasn't in.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Water Street

By the NYSC or further down? Let's tag team a tourist for lunch!

I can't imagine the cell stores in that area getting too packed; I think most of my coworkers had it delivered to the office.

C Jones

Think I have any chance of getting one if I show up at 12:30 pm?

I specifically pre ordered because I have a regular 8-5 job :
I can't speak for the 4S launch, but I was part of 3G and 4. If you are thinking about going at 12:30 I would rule out going to one of the cell phone carrier stores. They really don't get that many in, so at least call ahead.

I would think an Apple Store would be a much better option if you have one near you. They usually get a ridiculous amount of stock in.

Mafro

Haha nice. Initial impressions:

It looks gorgeous. I wasn't a fan of them changing the colour of the metal rim from what it's like on the 4/4S, but in person it looks much, much better. I'm surprised at how it's only around just under 1cm bigger than the 4/4S and lighter. It's weird seeing that extra row of apps on the screen. Can't really comment on the quality of the screen itself as I still have the screen protector on -_-

The cable for the lightning connector seems slightly thinner than the previous cables, and the connector itself is pretty tiny. As for the new headphones, they are definitely better and have more bass. The button on the in-line controls is a lot better too, much easier to press than the previous ones from my 4S.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Honest question - what is the benefit of buying the phone from an Apple store rather than just going to your cell provider to get one? Not being locked into a contract..?

Oxn

By the NYSC or further down? Let's tag team a tourist for lunch!

I can't imagine the cell stores in that area getting too packed; I think most of my coworkers had it delivered to the office.

The one further down. Its a Big verizon store on the corner of water and wall. And on the other corner is ATT, and next to it is Sprint.

Man I hate tourist. Blocking my roads all the time.

Seth C

I won't be home till 6 today. This is a good thing for me.

I'm home all morning but scheduled my work after noon specifically because I expected the shipment before 10:30 as promised. The phone was in Louisville for days yet don't get driven the 70 miles till 5am this morning, so no excuses UPS.

My Pops was first in line at the local Best Buy to preorder a White 32GB iPhone 5 last Friday and received the following email last night:

I know that you're excited to get your new iPhone 5 and you can be sure we are as excited to sell it to you. Unfortunately, as of the night before the official launch, Best Buy® has not received enough of the specific model phone you ordered, and we will not have it available on launch day. You can be certain that we are working very hard to get you, as quickly as possible, the exact iPhone 5 model you pre-ordered. It could take as long as 28 days to find the iPhone you want. However, there is no doubt that the fact you pre-ordered a phone from Best Buy means you will be able to buy it before any consumer trying to find one on their own.

Trust us, we will be able to get you the phone you want – maybe not as fast as you might want, but likely as fast as anyone else at this point.

I really appreciate your patience and willingness to shop Best Buy. We look forward to getting you the phone you ordered with us.
:-|

notsol337

marked forever
My Pops was first in line at the local Best Buy to preorder a White 32GB iPhone 5 last Friday and received the following email last night:

:-|

That sucks. My RadioShack got 9 AT&T preorders, and I had them all in my store yesterday. The only ones we didn't get in are the preorder phones from Verizon, which is really annoying considering they sent us 10 Verizon iPhones for non-preorder customers. I get to explain to several people why they have to wait to get their phones even though I have them in stock. Thanks Verizon for not letting third party retailers get phones from their own distributors! Instead, I had to order them through eROES using something called DFILL which locks a specific IMEI/MEID onto an account.

Top Bottom