• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

AirBrian

Damn, sounds like Best Buy either really overestimated the number they'd get or Apple short-shippped them. I've called 5 local BBs and all 5 told me they didn't receive enough to fulfill the pre-orders they expected. And they're not selling any that weren't pre-ordered.

Necrovex

Going to hit up the Sprint store today to discuss iPhone 5 stuff. Going to switch providers and join my family's plan. Cheaper, plus I get unlimited data. Today will be filled with Apple gadets; I'm grabbing my new Air prior to the Sprint store.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
FUCK YOU ZAGG. GOD DAMNIT

jbsrdrcpeG0JJs.jpg

Husker86

Giving people a bit of notice wouldn't have hurt. They would have received their phones yesterday. They chose to e-mail people overnight (or not at all), leaving a lot of people high and dry and with no choice but to wait.

I worked in Best Buy Mobile a few years ago and we would usually get iPhones delivered on launch day. The amount each store gets is also based on preorder volume, or is supposed to be.

I'm not saying BB is completely in the clear here, but I can tell you that it is probably not their fault; they got shorted.

Not that that is any consolation to customers expecting their phones today though. Just be mindful of who you (people who got that email) bitch to.

"One person on another forum got straight to the matter and took keys and a SIM card tray pin to the back and edges of an in-store iPhone 5 unit with these results."

WHY would you do that. Christ, even cars get keyed.
I just imagine someone walking into a Best Buy and taking a key to all of the phones, computers, and TVs to see how they hold up, haha.

Damn, sounds like Best Buy either really overestimated the number they'd get or Apple short-shippped them. I've called 5 local BBs and all 5 told me they didn't receive enough to fulfill the pre-orders they expected. And they're not selling any that weren't pre-ordered.
It's so full of PR stink, though. First in line to preorder and they didn't receive "enough?" I am calling my local store here in the next 10 minutes or so and see what line they give me.

For giggles, check out Best Buy's Facebook page. Lots of irate people and nothing but the same recycled canned response from corporate.

notsol337

marked forever
Just got off the phone with them. He says "Yours did not come in yet. It should be in this week." What the heck does "This week" mean? This week is already over. He said there were some that came in but "not yours." Pretty corny if you ask me but I guess at the end of the day its just a phone. Im just hoping I get it soon because they made me get a 50 dollar radio shack gift card and I NEVER shop at radio shack.

That is really dumb. Do you know what store number that is?

I want:(

If only there was somewhere to sell my 4S for a reasonable amount of money, and even then I'd still lose my unlimited data with Verizon for get a subsidized upgrade.

Hari Seldon

What is a top tier case to get with one of these? I always just used the shitty free one with my iPhone 4. I wouldn't mind a slip case maybe. I am waiting another two weeks for mine to be delivered.

Dany

Banned
I;m acting like a paranoid schizophrenic. I am sitting in the living room, near the window and listening for the "UPS truck rumble"

I have class in two and half hours, it better get here before that, I don't trust my roommate :p

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
It's so full of PR stink, though. First in line to preorder and they didn't receive "enough?" I am calling my local store here in the next 10 minutes or so and see what line they give me.

Well, enough after the BestBuy staffers got their own/hooked up all their friends in line before you.

NYR

Definitely. I just did it, and it went off without a hitch.

EDIT: the safari speed is insane on this phone! Holy crap.

It doesn't sync your music if you don't use iTunes Match though, as well as sycning old apps that have been removed from the app store (like VLC).

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Mine arrived before I even got into work this morning.. so beautiful.. now the long wait until tonight when I get my nanoSIM

bumpkin

I made some friends in line btw.

jY3du2BnwDSIU.jpg
With all due respect, fuck you sir.

I'm really peeved about the Best Buy situation. If I had known I was going to get screwed by them, I would have just stayed up and tried to order one from Apple when they went on sale.

Caelestis

So, a quick question, once I get the phone in the mail can I turn it on to play around with it w/o activating the cellular service yet for billing cycle reasons? How does activating the service on it even works? I have Verizon, if it plays any role.

AirBrian

For giggles, check out Best Buy's Facebook page. Lots of irate people and nothing but the same recycled canned response from corporate.
I was one of the first as well. I'm starting to think they really did get short-shipped since this seems more wide-spread.

Regardless, I'm still without the phone. :mad:

Tobor

It doesn't sync your music if you don't use iTunes Match though, as well as sycning old apps that have been removed from the app store (like VLC).

You can do the music when you get home. You'll still have the rest of the phone set up now.

As for your other point, I don't have any old apps hanging around. If that's a concern, then you have the other option.

LCfiner

"One person on another forum got straight to the matter and took keys and a SIM card tray pin to the back and edges of an in-store iPhone 5 unit with these results."

WHY would you do that. Christ, even cars get keyed.

Yeah. But the thing is the glass and steel on the 4 are impervious to key scratches. The keys aren't hard enough.

But the anodized aluminum they're using now is much more prone to scratches. If anyone accidentally places their new iPhone next to their keys in their pocket, then it could be a real scratch fest after a few minutes.

I need to see how these phones last after a week of use.

Top Bottom