• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Crimmy

That is really dumb. Do you know what store number that is?

Not sure. Its in Delmar, NY which is a small town outside the City of Albany. Would the store # be on the receipt?

I just read on another forum that this guy and his gf both pre ordered from radio shack and they have his gf's and not his. This is really strange.

My only real anguish right now is that there are people who strolled out of bed at 8:30am and walked right into a AT&T/Verizon store and walked out with a phone in 10 min whereas people who PREORDERED the phone are meant to suffer.

iammeiam

Oh crap...can I buy the applecare+ protection...is it something they still would mail to me?

Once you've been billed for the phone and they've shipped it, you can only add AppleCare+ by physically going to an Apple store and letting them inspect the phone (basically to prevent you from breaking your product and then buying protection.) You have a month to add it, but can't buy it online at this point.

Husker86

Well, enough after the BestBuy staffers got their own/hooked up all their friends in line before you.

I would be willing to bet money this didn't happen. Employees couldn't purchase an iPhone until like 1 month after release when I was there and I doubt that has changed.

Man, you people really need to give BB a break sometimes. Or if they're that shitty stop doing business with them.

Hari Seldon

Yeah. But the thing is the glass and steel on the 4 are impervious to key scratches. The keys aren't hard enough.

But the anodized aluminum they're using now is much more prone to scratches. If anyone accidentally places their new iPhone next to their keys in their pocket, then it could be a real scratch fest after a few minutes.

I need to see how these phones last after a week of use.

Yeah I was worried about that when they switched from glass. I don't want to have to go back to the old iPod days of being paranoid about scratching the fucking thing. I actually liked the glass on front and back.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Anyone have any suggestions for a case that's as minimalist as possible? I want something super thin that only covers the back and sides.

il_570xN.324300971.jpg

giga

Yeah. But the thing is the glass and steel on the 4 are impervious to key scratches. The keys aren't hard enough.

But the anodized aluminum they're using now is much more prone to scratches. If anyone accidentally places their new iPhone next to their keys in their pocket, then it could be a real scratch fest after a few minutes.

I need to see how these phones last after a week of use.
It's a tradeoff. The glass was generally resistant to scratches, but it also shattered if dropped--especially the back. (despite what people may say). The glass was also the reason the 4/4S were so much heavier.

notsol337

marked forever
Not sure. Its in Delmar, NY which is a small town outside the City of Albany. Would the store # be on the receipt?

I just read on another forum that this guy and his gf both pre ordered from radio shack and they have his gf's and not his. This is really strange.

My only real anguish right now is that there are people who strolled out of bed at 8:30am and walked right into a AT&T/Verizon store and walked out with a phone in 10 min whereas people who PREORDERED the phone are meant to suffer.

It will be there labeled store in the middle of their receipt. I want to check their inventory vs. the number of preorders.

jcm

Man, the out of the box experience is so good. Turn it on, it already knows the phone number, and it restores from last night's icloud backup. Smooth as silk. And the phone is really, really, beautiful. Can't wait until my wife gets home to see the white.

Oh, here's some info I got from my awesome UPS man. My phone, which shipped directly from China, was due to be delivered before 10:30. My wife's phone, which shipped from Illinois, had no specific time, and was going to be delivered today after 5. They were both ordered from Apple. Fortunately, my awesome UPS man is awesome. After I explained that I was expecting a second one, he looked around his truck, found it , and delivered it, all without my asking him to. Dude is so cool.

Dartastic

So before I sell my 4 I want to deal with my slightly sticky home button. I tried an alcohol swab on it and it didn't really do much. Any suggestions?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a tradeoff. The glass was generally resistant to scratches, but it also shattered if dropped--especially the back. (despite what people may say). The glass was also the reason the 4/4S were so much heavier.
I actually did drop my 4S once on a paved street and cringed as it skidded 10 feet from me. I survived without a scratch.

It seems that dropping on a corner is what would take out the glass.

Man, you people really need to give BB a break sometimes. Or if they're that shitty stop doing business with them.
They don't deserve a break. The more I read this email they sent me, they more insane it sounds. "We'd love to sell you one, we really do... You will be the first to get one, we promise." With all the troubles Best Buy has been having financially, this seems like another bullet in the chamber for them. Consumer confidence is low and they're now shitting all over some of the loyal that remain and chose to preorder at Best Buy.

I'm quoting the email again, just so that everyone can really read into it. I've underlined the stuff that reeks the most of shit and sour milk.

I know that you're excited to get your new iPhone 5 and you can be sure we are as excited to sell it to you. Unfortunately, as of the night before the official launch, Best Buy® has not received enough of the specific model phone you ordered, and we will not have it available on launch day. You can be certain that we are working very hard to get you, as quickly as possible, the exact iPhone 5 model you pre-ordered. It could take as long as 28 days to find the iPhone you want. However, there is no doubt that the fact you pre-ordered a phone from Best Buy means you will be able to buy it before any consumer trying to find one on their own.

Trust us, we will be able to get you the phone you want – maybe not as fast as you might want, but likely as fast as anyone else at this point.

I really appreciate your patience and willingness to shop Best Buy. We look forward to getting you the phone you ordered with us.

Tobor

Agreed. The weight is really noticeable, by the way. My iPhone 4 feels like a brick by comparison.

Zutroy

Mine arrived at working. No chips/scratches that I can see. Waiting on it to restore from iCloud.

Tried the Earpods while I was waiting. Pleasantly surprised with them. They're really comfy, and the sound is good enough that I'll probably use them.

Kaladin

LOL. To participate in iTunes Match your library must contain fewer than 25,000 songs which have not been purchased from iTunes. I have 36,000+ songs in my library.

Hari Seldon

I'd rather have the weight and have the thing be able to take a hit. This is a phone god damnit it is going to get beat up.

Hari Seldon

Wait, is the back to this like the original iPhones or is it the brushed aluminum shit like the old iPods? The original iPhone backs were pretty solid and resistant to shit.

Husker86

LOL. To participate in iTunes Match your library must contain fewer than 25,000 songs which have not been purchased from iTunes. I have 36,000+ songs in my library.

And none of those 36,000 are available on iTunes? What kind of music do you listen to?

edit: I thought that 25,000 have to not exist on iTunes, my mistake.

Even though I love Google Music, I'm giving Match a shot since I don't want to listen to music through a web browser and I doubt there would ever be a Google Music app approved.

Tobor

Wait, is the back to this like the original iPhones or is it the brushed aluminum shit like the old iPods? The original iPhone backs were pretty solid and resistant to shit.

Feels like the original iPhone. The difference is the anodizing on the black model.

paskowitz

3.3 hours in line and $333.87 later I have my first Apple product.

Waking up at 5am and standing in line for 2 hours was the easy part (and to be honest, not all that bad)... But the final hour waiting for the people in front of you to check out really sucks. Especially they are non-native English speakers, old laddies and people who did not have the sense to come in the day before to make sure they can even get a phone.

Lesson learned, just preorder ASAP.

Kaladin

And none of those 36,000 are available on iTunes? What kind of music do you listen to?

edit: I thought that 25,000 have to not exist on iTunes, my mistake.

Even though I love Google Music, I'm giving Match a shot since I don't want to listen to music through a web browser and I doubt there would ever be a Google Music app approved.

It should at least let you select a portion of your library to match, a hard 25k limit seems a bit harsh.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I per-ordered through Apple, but apparently 20 minutes late since my phone was still on a boat. Thankfully my local AT&T store must have got a lot of extra stock since I just stopped by 2 hours after they opened and they still had a black 32GB. Really glad too, since I would have been on vacation during the estimated delivery Apple was giving me for my backorder.

Top Bottom