• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

It just seems that those disappointed with the iPhone 5 haven't clearly articulated why they're disappointed.

From what I gather, most who are wanted a UI overhaul, but that's an OS update, not something that a new phone would ameliorate.

I'll be the voice of reason. The iPhone shouldn't just be content with catching other phones. It should lead. LTE, Maps, 4", Camera upgrades, etc. have been seen before. Full web browsing, gestures, the app store, retina display, and even lowly Siri were game changers. What was shown today that other companys will steal?

Edit: things I liked today were Loop, Lightning, and passbook. Everything else didn't seen amazing (for apple).

Flo_Evans

Been thinking this would be my first iPhone (also my first Apple product period, and first real smartphone too), but I'm slightly underwhelmed. I hoped for a better camera, but it's the same? Ironically, I think the most brilliant idea in the most iPhone 5 is the digital connector that can be inserted either side! (this always frustrated me in other connectors, including USB)

Might spring for a used 4S if I can find a good bargain.

It has better low light performance, and is WAY faster. It's not really the "same".

Yuripaw

Banned
Well let me ask you guys advice on this...since I've been waiting to get my upgrade, I knew I wanted to get an iPhone. It just happened to be luck that I became eligible right before this was announced.

As someone who's never owned an iPhone before, and is more concerned with some of the games, and basic apps...rather than any of the new fancy features...when I upgrade I can either get an iPhone 4 for free, get an iPhone 4S for $99.99, or an iPhone 5 for $199.99....which would you guys suggest as a new iPhone owner?

I'm switching from an HTC droid incredible. Nice phone that has served me...but dammit, I want stuff like The world ends with you on my phone!

The thing is, even without leaks, you could have predicted everything but the screen. Had there not been any leaks, would you have bet against LTE, a spec bump, and better power efficiency?

So will you complain to Samsung if the GS4 isn't thinner, lighter, same/better battery life, 8 core processor, with 4 gigs of RAM?

$30 for a 30pin to lightning adapter.

Fuck you Apple. Made the decision to not switch back easy.

People get outraged over the weirdest shit. See, the phone comes with a charger.

So will you complain to Samsung if the GS4 isn't thinner, lighter, same/better battery life, 8 core processor, with 4 gigs of RAM?

It's Marty Chinn, King of the Pedants. No matter how solid your point is, you will never, ever break through that carefully crafted wall of "b-b-but."

dwebo

Well let me ask you guys advice on this...since I've been waiting to get my upgrade, I knew I wanted to get an iPhone. It just happened to be luck that I became eligible right before this was announced.

As someone who's never owned an iPhone before, and is more concerned with some of the games, and basic apps...rather than any of the new fancy features...when I upgrade I can either get an iPhone 4 for free, get an iPhone 4S for $99.99, or an iPhone 5 for $199.99....which would you guys suggest as a new iPhone owner?

I'm switching from an HTC droid incredible. Nice phone that has served me...but dammit, I want stuff like The world ends with you on my phone!

iphone 5? get the best. $100 isn't very much when you consider how much cellular/data fees will amount to over the course of your contract

def sim

You will be keeping it for the next two years, yes? I'd go with 5 if so. Of course, if short term budget is an issue, the 4S is perfectly capable.

I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to the HTC One X a few weeks ago and while I'm enjoying it more, I still don't see the reason for all the fights. There's a few things each phone do better but overall very similar. iPhone has the better phone interface which a lot of my friends will always go for as they don't care about the extra features as much.

And all your existing things with the 30-pin adapter are worthless unless you pony up $30 for each. They could have softened the blow but they didn't because they know they can get away with it.

$30 for each? You can't just take the adapter with you? Although I do agree that it's shitty of Apple to charge so much.

Yuripaw

Banned
You will be keeping it for the next two years, yes? I'd go with 5 if so. Of course, if short term budget is an issue, the 4S is perfectly capable.

short term income is a slight issue. I probably could pull it off, but I am trying to save for my list of upcoming games this fall, and possibly a Wii U.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah...just wasn't digging that new aspect ratio. I did, in the end, want a bigger screen, in more dimensions than 1.

To be fair, the iPhone needed quite a bit to win me over...switching to the Galaxy S3 means I can switch carriers and take $41 off my monthly bill.

def sim

Can someone explain this to me? What's the fuss over this connector?

For the people who want to get the newest iPhone and have invested heavily in docks, stereos, car chargers, and whatever accessory using the 30 pin connector will need that adapter. For such a small, possibly essential thing the $30 fee is absurd.

The thing is it was only a year ago when the iPhone was without a doubt the best smartphone to get on the market. But in that past year, Android has finally caught up with the Nexus and Galaxy S III and such. The iPhone and the top of the line Android phones are all pretty equal right now. There really is no "best phone" anymore, it all comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I'll be upgrading to the 5 from my 4. Android phones haven't shown me a reason to switch over from iOS, although if you're an Android user, there isn't much incentive to switch over to iOS either. However, when my next upgrade rolls around, and if Android shows they offer better products than the iPhone, I wouldn't mind switching over.

I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to the HTC One X a few weeks ago and while I'm enjoying it more, I still don't see the reason for all the fights. There's a few things each phone do better but overall very similar. iPhone has the better phone interface which a lot of my friends will always go for as they don't care about the extra features as much.
It's because some people have to justify their purchases, no matter how stupid they sound.

rozay

Banned
How in the world is the Lumnia better other than its camera?
Better screen (not 16:9, higher PPI, clearblack tech, works with gloves, and "claimed" best refresh rates on a mobile display) and better camera off the top of my head.

if they'd go for the best interface, they would be on windows phone

AEREC

This is my first iphone launch (had a company provided phone for the past 10 years) and I will probably go preorder it this friday with a 2 year contract from AT&T. How does preordering for phones work?

Should I expect a line when the AT&T store opens on friday morning and if I am able to order it does it ship on the 21st or is available for pickup on the 21st from the store?

kharma45

How in the world is the Lumnia better other than its camera?

I presume he is talking about the camera. I think it looks better anyway, and it has a better screen too, as well as NFC and wireless charging but we'll see if it's actually worth the hype when the reviews and user opinions hit.

rozay

Banned
Lets wait till both phones are out and we have some real world test before we claim that.
this, and we still have a month and a half before the lumia comes out. I'm amazed Nokia's hardware (arguably software unless you need to have 100+ apps on your phone) is actually up to par/better in some aspects this year, and at least able to stand toe to toe with the competition.

themadhatter444

Neo Member
I dropped my 4 in Vegas last OCTOBER and have been dealing with a completely shattered screen with nonfunctional home and sleep buttons. I didn't want to waste my upgrade on the 4S so I've been waiting for this day for almost a year.

That said, I'll definitely be preordering one. Despite no game changing 5 specific features, I'm loving the design with the brushed steel backing. Thrilled about the new chip as well as LTE.

People expecting a major design/functionality overhaul are disappointed because the 4/4S, in my opinion, is already one of the slickest looking devices out there. Not much could have been done to improve it, though some of the teardrop/iPad look-alike designs were gorgeous.
------------------
I have an Apple gift card and an ATT phone. I would like to use my giftcard to upgrade and trade in my piece of shit phone (if they'll take it). Doable? Can I even use my ATT upgrade with an Apple gift card?

Only got my 4S in January, but this thing looks so beautiful. The effort and work they put into the design is truly undeniable. The 4/4S is such an incredibly design too, I think only Nokia and Sony come close to making phones as nice as Apple. I get turned off instantly by cheap plastic phones. Like my computer, I use it lots every single day, so I expect it to be solid as fuck. Same reason people buy German cars :) Anyway...

My wife is due an upgrade from her 3GS, so I might get the '5 and she can have my 4S.

I watched the Nokia presentation the other day, I really like the new 920, and I love that it comes in different colours (I'd fucking LOVE a blue or orange iPhone), but I am happily integrated into iCloud now between my Macbook Pro, iPad, and iPhone.

I like that when I add an event to my calendar for family/friends etc it gets added to my wife's calendar too, and that my bookmarks, photos and contacts are synced etc. App store, iTunes etc etc too.

I have no reason to leave.

this, and we still have a month and a half before the lumia comes out. I'm amazed Nokia's hardware (arguably software unless you need to have 100+ apps on your phone) is actually up to par/better in some aspects this year, and at least able to stand toe to toe with the competition.

Nokia has always had amazing hardware...sw on the other hand...

Korosenai

ebay or craigslist (depending where you live). Here in NYC you can sell an iPhone on craiglist in literally less than an hour.

Cool, thanks.

I'm going to be selling two (my mom's iPhone and my iPhone), hers is near perfect condition, but the screen is cracked on mine near the bottom. Do you think anyone would buy an iPhone in that sort of condition? Would I be better off selling it somewhere else?

malfcn

God. Now I want an iphone, even though I don't use my phone ever.

Is there going to be like a 5S type of upgrade next year? That shit kind of annoys me.

Socreges

Banned
Cool, thanks.

I'm going to be selling two (my mom's iPhone and my iPhone), hers is near perfect condition, but the screen is cracked on mine near the bottom. Do you think anyone would buy an iPhone in that sort of condition? Would I be better off selling it somewhere else?

Yeah people will buy one with a cracked screen but you'll have to take a bit of a hit on the price.

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the factory unlocked price for the iPhone 5 in the USA? The UK and Canada unlocked prices have been increased but the Apple website is seemingly only showing the subsidized price in the USA...

woober

So I'm on a family plan where I'm not eligible for a full upgrade (only discount which would be $449 for the 16gb) but it looks like my other family members are. Is there a way I could upgrade theirs yet have a nanosim with my number?

Anyone?

It has better low light performance, and is WAY faster. It's not really the "same".

Yeah I just learned about those after reading a summary of the event, it also has better image stabilization and ability to take photos while shooting video I think. My first impression was based on the spec sheet in the OP and the promo video on Apple.com, which didn't mention any of the camera improvements IIRC.

Those are some pretty nice improvements IMO.

jey_16

Banned
No turn by turn in Australia means my wife will be jumping ship to Android. Her GPS died recently and she is rubbish at directions. I'm not buying a standalone GPS again.

Too bad Android has f-all content in Australi (music, tv, magazines etc).

Wat? I have been telling people there would be turn by turn.....ridiculous

Top Bottom