• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

giga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pMvE0lkunBg

nwbzm9.gif

Got my iPhone 5 in Germany on base. :D Took about an hour to switch everything to English, but so far everything's running perfectly. :D

Apps work virtually instantaneously. Goddamn.

This is my very first iPhone btw.

Cloudy

Banned
I would be willing to bet money this didn't happen. Employees couldn't purchase an iPhone until like 1 month after release when I was there and I doubt that has changed.

Man, you people really need to give BB a break sometimes. Or if they're that shitty stop doing business with them.

But they can have their friends come buy it though. It happens lol

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wear and tear is normal and expected, but fuck this out-of-the-box scuff/chip business. No matter how small and how much you try to ignore it turns what's supposed to be a joy into a sinking feeling when you catch it. :/

This kind of thing is magnified in my eyes as there aren't even any Apple Stores in my country where I can just stroll in and trade. OT but in my case I also hold my breath when I turn screens on for the first time because of my history with stuck pixels, I've had one of those little fuckers in too many of my electronic devices. Crossing my fingers the iPad I ordered won't have any display problems.

VPhys

How are so many people getting cases for this phone? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the industrial design? If you are going to slap a case on it they may have well just make the entire phone of cheap plastic and it would've been the same to you.

Finally secured two phones (white 16gb). Now I'll impatiently wait for next week (and I won't forgive you Apple for putting my country in the b-list).

knicks

Got my 32GB Black and opened it about 10 min ago. Flawless, no scuff-gate, so sexy. Question: I have at&t do I have to re-input all my contacts because its a new type of sim card? I assume I can go to an at&t store and they can do it there?

Got my 32GB Black and opened it about 10 min ago. Flawless, no scuff-gate, so sexy. Question: I have at&t do I have to re-input all my contacts because its a new type of sim card? I assume I can go to an at&t store and they can do it there?

Didn't you backup your contacts to icloud? If so, just restore from your iCloud backup and everything should be good to go.

andycapps

My iPhone 5 is on the UPS truck and should be here soon.. Just wondering if there's a way for me to continue listening to Google Music. I assume I can navigate to the mobile site. Is there a way I can minimize it and still have access to play or skip controls?

-griffy-

Banned
I'm also trying to get my home button cleaned up. I've tried alcohol before and it didn't help either. Anyone have any other ideas?
I just fixed my unresponsive home button a couple days ago. Make sure to take off any screen protector or case if it surrounds the home button first. What I did was get a can of condensed air an spray the hell out of the home button, pressed it down and sprayed all around the diameter of it. I had read the reason it becomes unresponsive was because of dust and grit building up in there. Worked like a charm.

Sullichin

32gb black acquired. very small scuff on left side above volume knob. I ain't even mad. I wasn't expecting the phone to feel so light. I might prefer the feel of the 4 in my hand.

My iPhone 5 is on the UPS truck and should be here soon.. Just wondering if there's a way for me to continue listening to Google Music. I assume I can navigate to the mobile site. Is there a way I can minimize it and still have access to play or skip controls?
There's a free third party google music app if you search the App Store. No idea if it's any good though.

Kaladin

There isn't enough time in the day to listen to 200 albums a year. OK, maybe once per album, but who listens to music like that?

I'll admit, I don't listen to a lot of it as much as I would like to, but I put it all on shuffle and listen that way often so stuff I haven't heard comes up sometimes.

Flo_Evans

Wow. That blows away my home DSL connection with AT&T.

Blows away my ADSL2 connection (15Mbps, 1.5Mbps) yet I still must connect to wifi for apps over 50mb.

Turn by turn works GREAT, very smooth re-routing, all the roads I drive on (to work at least) are on there. 3D maps are like butter on this thing.

Need to download some games mang....!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mine's out for delivery on a Fedex truck. Sitting here, waiting near the door like a puppy awaiting its master.

I hear the clunking of a delivery truck.

I see a blanket of white breeze by my window.

The engine clunking subsides. It idles. Close. So close.

I get up, excited, like a kid on Christmas. I jet to the door. I peer out, and there, there it is.

A motherfucking USPS truck.

Fuck.

jcm

Hey, my third phone just shipped. It was ordered from Apple on September 14 at 3:00 pm, and was due to be shipped in two weeks and delivered on October 5. So it's a week ahead of schedule.

andycapps

There's a free third party google music app if you search the App Store. No idea if it's any good though.

I'll try that out, thanks. I didn't know if there was a way to minimize it and continue listening. Saw a protip about how to listen to youtube videos or podcasts with the browser minimized and they still had access to the player controls. Didn't know if that was possible with Google Music.

Coworker just ran his speedtest on AT&T: 52Mbps down, 12.8Mbps up.

That's insane. I'm curious how quickly people will hit their caps on AT&T and Verizon LTE. I'm on Sprint so I can use as much as I want
Just as soon as I get LTE, LOL

Wiz

Those who have the phone already delivered, what does your UPS/Fedex tracking say in regards to time?

tmdorsey

That's insane. I'm curious how quickly people will hit their caps on AT&T and Verizon LTE. I'm on Sprint so I can use as much as I want

I don't get why they should be worried about hitting there caps just because they are LTE. To me it just means they are getting the data faster and more reliable. If they currently aren't hitting the caps, as long as they don't change they consumption habits they shouldn't have a problem no?

xnipx

I'll try that out, thanks. I didn't know if there was a way to minimize it and continue listening. Saw a protip about how to listen to youtube videos or podcasts with the browser minimized and they still had access to the player controls. Didn't know if that was possible with Google Music.

I talked to the rep at AT&T and he said that the soft cap before throttling moves up to 5 GB for those on unlimited plans when u get a iPhone 5. But since it's arbitrary and subject to change depending on how much data usage people actually consume not to expect it to stay that way past the new year lol

CrankyJay

Banned
I don't get why they should be worried about hitting there caps just because they are LTE. To me it just means they are getting the data faster and more reliable. If they currently aren't hitting the caps, as long as they don't change they consumption habits they shouldn't have a problem no?

People might feel more compelled to stream more stuff for this very reason.

Caelestis

I just got my phone, and no scuffs! Now I really need the answer for this, I am scared to turn it on otherwise:

So, a quick question, once I get the phone in the mail can I turn it on to play around with it w/o activating the cellular service yet for billing cycle reasons? How does activating the service on it even works? I have Verizon, if it plays any role.

Anyone? D:

Top Bottom