• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Man, that ifixyouri video was hard to watch. Good to know the phone can take much more of a beating than the 4 though. I presigned for my phone so I'm gonna be sitting here at work all day knowing my phone is just sitting there :/

Xcellere

After AT&T told me last night it would ship in 14-21 business days, I went to the store this morning at 6 AM to wait. When I finally got in, they said I couldn't cancel the preorder, or attach another phone to my number. I had to wait for the preorder.

Got home to check AT&T order status and find a tracking number saying it was out for delivery. Happy days.

So dramatic! So elegant!

What in the flying fuck did you do to your beautiful phone?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
the iphone 5 cases all say new iphone. i guess the manufacturers had them ready before the announcement. lol

bonesquad

I really like the look and feel of iPhone 5, but I think I still like 4's better. I liked the black with silver band contrast, the glass on the back, and even the extra weight which made it feel solid. Maybe it's also the build quality doesn't seem quite as good with the 5. There is that nice scratch on the front bezel that is hard to miss (grrr), but also the volume/power buttons feel a little loose (they were rock solid on the 4).

There is good too. The screen size makes more of a difference than I thought it would. And I'm so glad the headphone jack is on the bottom where it belongs (mind blown!). I knew I wouldn't be as impressed going from 4 to 5 as I was going from 3G to 4, but this is still a pretty sweet phone:)

jcm

Is my phone beautiful Gaf?

tumblr_mapj7umaQ91r41b2ao1_1280.jpg

It reminds me of my grandma's couch.

st80T.jpg

zlatko

Banned
Okay guys I'm looking to buy my first smart phone and I'm eyeing the iphone 5.

I'm having massive issues finding a carrier/plan that fits what I want.

What I want:

Unlimited Texting
Don't need a lot of talking to other cell phones/land lines
4-6 GB's of Data plan I'm guessing.

Currently I'm on my sisters family plan on a non smart phone and I pay 20 dollars a month, which is done through Verizon. I'm not sure if it ends up being cheaper if I just go my own path for an individual plan, or if I try to stay on hers, and add the iphone 5 onto it.

I don't care which carrier I get, and I live in Denver Colorado in the zip 80241.(If that helps you guys out)

I'm a broke ass, so it being cheap monthly is crucial to me. I can't see myself paying more than 50 a month. :(

I don't get the people putting screen protectors on their phones. I've had my 4 for two years now and there isn't a scratch on the screen. The 5's glass will be even more durable since its likely Gorilla Glass 2

Just got back. OMG THE HOTNESS. It's really amazing how thin and light it is, you can't appreciate it until you get it in-hand. It honestly feels like a mock-up, hard to believe it's a working unit at first.

Both the black and white units are stunning, honestly I would have been happier with either. But decided to try my luck with black and rejected two units for minor imperfections before I got lucky on the third try. They actually had Apple engineers from Cupertino in the store who were studying the units I was rejecting. Attention to detail!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just got back. OMG THE HOTNESS. It's really amazing how thin and light it is, you can't appreciate it until you get it in-hand. It honestly feels like a mock-up, hard to believe it's a working unit at first.

Both the black and white units are stunning, honestly I would have been happier with either. But decided to try my luck with black and rejected two units for minor imperfections before I got lucky on the third try. They actually had Apple engineers from Cupertino in the store who were studying the units I was rejecting. Attention to detail!

Was that guy still asleep when you came out?

Clipse

Anyone not receiving their Apple ID verification e-mail? Trying to set this up for my mom's new phone, but nothing is being sent. Guessing the servers are overloaded since it's launch day?

Husker86

Unlimited Texting

I'm a broke ass, so it being cheap monthly is crucial to me. I can't see myself paying more than 50 a month. :(

Not gonna happen unless you go prepaid which means you're gonna pay $650+ for an unlocked iPhone.

numble

Looks like they want to get a handle on scuffgate.
What were the imperfections?

Hoo-doo

Banned

This is good news. That means they'll probably working hard to fix the scuffing issue.

Enjoy your phone, Gary!

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't get the people putting screen protectors on their phones. I've had my 4 for two years now and there isn't a scratch on the screen. The 5's glass will be even more durable since its likely Gorilla Glass 2

I'm pretty sure that there are scratches but you never looked hard enough maybe on purpose because you don't want to see the scratch.

NYR

Okay guys I'm looking to buy my first smart phone and I'm eyeing the iphone 5.

I'm having massive issues finding a carrier/plan that fits what I want.

What I want:

Unlimited Texting

Currently I'm on my sisters family plan on a non smart phone and I pay 20 dollars a month, which is done through Verizon. I'm not sure if it ends up being cheaper if I just go my own path for an individual plan, or if I try to stay on hers, and add the iphone 5 onto it.

I don't care which carrier I get, and I live in Denver Colorado in the zip 80241.(If that helps you guys out)

http://static.ips.apple.com.edgekey.net/ipa_preauth/content/catalog/en_US/index.html

Sprint $80 plan is the closet you are going to get to what you want.

undecided

A friend just mentioned that he picked one up at AT&T this morning and was given a free case, screen protector, and iTunes gift cards as a launch promo..

Any other reports of that or did he just get lucky?

I was once like you. Dropped my phone off the coach ONE time about a foot and I have a hairline crack across me entire screen.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just got back from the mall, surprisingly hardly any line at the AT&T store and the Apple Store. Guess most people went the pre-order route.

andycapps

This is good news. That means they'll probably working hard to fix the scuffing issue.

Enjoy your phone, Gary!

But if they fix the issue going forward, what does that do for those of us that are getting our iPhones by UPS and don't have the option of rejecting the phone? For myself, I'm planning on taking copious pictures with my point and shoot when I get it of the phone itself and if there are any issues, they'll be documented so I can bring it to Apple at some point when they sort it out and get a new one.

bonesquad

On the 4s is way more probable since it is only ≥1 year old but i'm pretty sure that if you are not extremely careful with your phone it has scratches.

I've had my 4 for over two years and there aren't any scratches on the screen. I can put it under light, rotate it around looking for them and nothing. If scratches are there (which is possible) they are undetectable to the human eye.

That's not to say my phone doesn't have scratches. It has a few around the 30pin connector region since my aim sucks:)

NYR

Yeah thanks for this. I guess smart phones are just not for me yet. Sucks being a college student lol. Can't afford shit! :D

I'm not american, so there might be better deals out there, hopefully someone can give you better details.

And yes, those deals suck. I pay $65 for 250 minutes, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends, Unlimited Text and Picture Messaging, 6 GB LTE, CID/VM in Canada for Rogers....and I still think I am getting robbed.

Top Bottom