• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Just got back. OMG THE HOTNESS. It's really amazing how thin and light it is, you can't appreciate it until you get it in-hand. It honestly feels like a mock-up, hard to believe it's a working unit at first.

Both the black and white units are stunning, honestly I would have been happier with either. But decided to try my luck with black and rejected two units for minor imperfections before I got lucky on the third try. They actually had Apple engineers from Cupertino in the store who were studying the units I was rejecting. Attention to detail!

Wouldn't "attention to detail" mean they didn't allow the issue to happen to begin with?

LiK

Wait, why is the headphone jack on the bottom?

when you're holding the phone, it's hangs down instead of over the back or front. also great for putting the phone in the pocket.

FYI, the previous iPod Touches has the headphone jack on the bottom as well.

Okay, just did an iCloud backup on current phone. How long do you guys think it will take on a relatively quick (but not super fast by any means) connection to restore that to the new phone? The backup was 3.8 GB.

andycapps

I'm not american, so there might be better deals out there, hopefully someone can give you better details.

And yes, those deals suck. I pay $65 for 250 minutes, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends, 6 GB LTE, CID/VM in Canada for Rogers....and I still think I am getting robbed.

Welcome to wireless plans in America. The best carriers are way overpriced and give you piss poor amounts of data for the price.

Shadow2222 said:
Okay, just did an iCloud backup on current phone. How long do you guys think it will take on a relatively quick (but not super fast by any means) connection to restore that to the new phone? The backup was 3.8 GB.

I backed up my wife's 4S the other day when I did the IOS6 update for her, and then restored after doing a factory reset. Hers was like 13 GB'ish and took about 40 minutes. I'd guess it's substantially less than that. Maybe 10-15 minutes?

snack

I'm not american, so there might be better deals out there, hopefully someone can give you better details.

And yes, those deals suck. I pay $65 for 250 minutes, Unlimited Evenings and Weekends, Unlimited Text and Picture Messaging, 6 GB LTE, CID/VM in Canada for Rogers....and I still think I am getting robbed.
That's my plan too...

AirBrian

The question is, why was it on top in the first place?

Honestly I liked it on the top better. I could easily plug it into my car's input jack and still set the phone in my cup holder right-side up. Now I'll have to set the phone on the plug/cord in the cup holder. (Not really a huge deal, though.)

Dany

Banned
Lol, as soon as I left the apartment to go to school, I was going to affix the presigncsheet. As Soon as I step outside I see the ups truck! He walks over and sees me, asks my name, and he hands me the package. Talk about perfect timing. Can't wait to play with it in a few hours!

Hyyyyype! :D

Whogie

It came!
iChoI6ItwJ8g2.png

And left. With two people home.

I'm pretty sure that there are scratches but you never looked hard enough maybe on purpose because you don't want to see the scratch.

There are microscratches in the oleophobic film, but you can't even see those unless under direct sunlight or something. The glass itself doesn't scratch. I'm holding my phone up to florescent lighting and I can't see these microscratches. It's a nonissue in my opinion

I was once like you. Dropped my phone off the coach ONE time about a foot and I have a hairline crack across me entire screen.
Sorry to hear that man :/ in my experience, I've dropped my phone 4 over 30 times in the time I've owned it from varying heights and on various surfaces, maybe 10 of those times on asphalt/concrete. I've had a case on it since the first time. I dropped it from knee height on ceramic tile, the glass on either side was not affected but it scuffed the steel band. I put a case on it because I was afraid of the glass shattering from a drop on the corner. But out of the 30 times, the front screen never scratched on me.

MY WIFE MISSED THE DELIVERY!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!! and now it's set for Monday delivery.

The distribution center is pretty close so I called to have them hold it tonight... They called me back and they said after 4, but they don't know for sure when the driver will be back.

I don't want to wait til Monday :(

themadhatter444

Neo Member
I canceled my delayed preorder with AT&T and ran down to my local Apple store around 9:15 this morning. Pretty good side line but they had plenty of non preorder phones. Only a few more minutes until I'm at the door and receive my 64gb Black. What up, scuffgate?

Those debating should definitely give it a try. This is a very busy store in the center of downtown Phoenix too.

spink

Because once people realize putting their phones in their pockets upside down with the screen facing your leg is the right and most natural way, a bottom headphone jack makes sense.

with a right angle jack this does not work in your right pocket

Dany

Banned
MY WIFE MISSED THE DELIVERY!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!! and now it's set for Monday delivery.

The distribution center is pretty close so I called to have them hold it tonight... They called me back and they said after 4, but they don't know for sure when the driver will be back.

Divorce is the only solution.

Cloudy

Banned
Unreal Sprint doesn't even have 4G in my area yet :(

I can't complain too much cos I pay $50 for unlimited data but still lol

LiK

Reading through Macrumors, looks like the Verizon loophole isn't as easy as people thought. They're having issues switching the line over. Glad I didn't jump on it.

It came!
iChoI6ItwJ8g2.png

And left. With two people home.

Man, that freakin blows. I was thinking I'd miss the delivery driver and just pick up from the center on Saturday after class but I decided to presign so I wouldn't have to sit through the night and 5 hours of class knowing the phone was one city away :l

Hari Seldon

Wait you actually have to be there when the package comes? God damnit I hope I can change my order to in store pickup in a week since it is not coming for 2 more weeks.

NYR

I'm fine with that if it is caused by drops. I don't drop my phone, and if I do I can live with the consequences. My main concern is if that will happen from regular use.
Read that thread that I linked to - it's from normal use, a lot of users complained for months, HTC said it was user error, not their issue.

Whogie

Yeah, we're just going to have to be patient for new accessories.

Wait you actually have to be there when the package comes? God damnit I hope I can change my order to in store pickup in a week since it is not coming for 2 more weeks.

By your gate, specifically. Presign.

andycapps

People saying that UPS didn't deliver while they're home are freaking me out. BRB, gonna pull the car out of the garage and into the driveway so it's really obvious there's someone here. Even though I'm working from home today and my wife is here as well.

Cloudy said:
Michigan :\

I'm an idiot but I thought 4G and 4GLTE were 2 different things so I was expecting a speed boost today lol

4G with Sprint used to be provided by Clearwire, I believe.. Wimax was the technology and my EVO has it. The connections are pretty spotty and handoff between Wimax and 3G was shitty, though Wimax was generally pretty fast. Probably about HSPA+ speeds. LTE is what they're currently doing, and "Network Vision" is the name of their campaign. It's going to upgrade every tower in the country that they have to give better backhaul, consistent data speeds with heavy users, and provide LTE from the same tower and antenna. Basically, everywhere that has 3G will have LTE as well and there should be a lot better building penetration, as well as overlapping coverage due to how many towers they have. The capacity should be very high as well. The whole country is supposed by done by end of 2013. Sprint's solution may actually be better than AT&T and Verizon's, long term, for rural users.

I know way too much about this, but in between projects at work I've done some studying on what they're doing. It's a pretty massive undertaking. I'm in the same boat, no LTE here yet in Columbus, OH. I expect our regions to start to get it in early-mid 2012.

Wiz

If no one is there to sign for you then I believe the delivery holds on to it.

lol UPS really does that? Hell, I live in a condo and they have always delivered the package even though you need a gate code to get in.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For UPS and FedEx if I am not home I just go on the site and change delivery to hold at the delivery places. I then go pick it up on the way home from work.

golem

If anyone goes to a store can they ask if unlocked ones are available?

Although damn Tmo wont get nano sims till Oct :/

Finally got it.

Finally.

It's so fucking light. WTF. Too light. No bulk. I gotta get a case on this thing. I went to the AT&T store near me and they only had Otter boxes...which were way too big and bulky. They had another case but the edges where it'd come into contact with the phone were way too sharp. I knew it's end up scraping the phone.

Fuck that. Off to another doc's appt. But then to Best Buy to see if they have any cases in stock.

Also, could anyone suggest a solid blue tooth headset for this thing?

LiK

dude they are trolling you, they knew it came from "AI" (apple inc) and it's a new iphone. They know you want it so bad so they acted extra sneaky and never knocked.

probably a android user.

lol, i wouldn't be surprised. some UPS/FedEx drivers are dicks.

one FedEx guy kept leaving notices when someone was home before for me. i filed a complaint and they never did that again.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Mine arrived this morning at my office at 10:30. Still says No Service though...?

Einbroch

Banned
Um. Verizon is letting me keep unlimited data!

I just activated it through the website, and I still have unlimited data for $29.99/month!

Whogie

dude they are trolling you, they knew it came from "AI" (apple inc) and it's a new iphone. They know you want it so bad so they acted extra sneaky and never knocked.

probably a android user.

Ha, the thought crossed my mind.

I'm seriously going to drive around and look for a truck with my slip in hand. If I fail, I'll just buy lunch.

Top Bottom