• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

iammeiam

MbB5F.jpg

...and that will be the last shitty picture taken with my iPhone 4 (seriously, I don't know why it came out so ugly it doesn't seem that dark in here.)

Also 64GB got here right in time; I had to delete a picture in order for the camera app to let me take the blur-fest above.

qwerty2k

Can't believe how much better the supplied headphones are. Yeah they're not as good as my more expensive in-ear phones...but....they actually deliver an acceptable sound quality an you know what? they don't feel like they are going to fall out constantly.

MbB5F.jpg

...and that will be the last shitty picture taken with my iPhone 4 (seriously, I don't know why it came out so ugly.)

Also 64GB got here right in time; I had to delete a picture in order for the camera app to let me take the blur-fest above.

4 iphones? you getting them for the family?

jts

...hate me...
Let me expand on this a bit.

- In order to support the new resolution, the app must be built against iOS6, which is only in XCode 4.5.

- XCode 4.5 has removed support for armv6, which is required to build against 3G.

- An app which worked on 3G would be at highest, iOS 4.3.2

- A patch for an app cannot "de-support" older versions: if you build an app against iOS3, you can't drop iOS3 support.

A lot of apps will run into this issue, the farther back the app supports, the least likely it will migrate upwards.
So it's then final nail in the coffin for the iPhone OG/3G, I guess. Developers will not want to not support the new iPhone screen.

ChanHuk

Banned
Anybody else think the screen is better on the 5 compared to the 4S? Colors seem to have more of a pop to them compared to the 4S.

jts

...hate me...
Can't believe how much better the supplied headphones are. Yeah they're not as good as my more expensive in-ear phones...but....they actually deliver an acceptable sound quality an you know what? they don't feel like they are going to fall out constantly.
How's the bass? Not that I'm a bass guy, but for example the Apple in-ear headphones are noticeably light on bass, so I wonder if they done the same to the new earPods.

Blackhead

Redarse
I ordered a nanosim adapter last week and it already arrived.
http://MicroSIM-shop.com/nanosim.html
Will confirm later if it works

I can confirm that these adapters work nicely.

Quick thoughts:

Got black. scuffed. still beautiful. thin enough so the edges don't feel that bad in hand
The Transit App is looks stunning. Almost pisses me off that it's exclusively for iOS. I'll have to put it through its paces to see if it has the functionality to match.
I keep reaching for a non existent back button.

Ok so Safari full screen is landscape only. That's dumb. Even worse, the rotation lock is still portrait only. So you can't lock Safari in full screen. Lol. iOS you still suck so much. Oh well.

LaneDS

I switched from an iPhone 4 to a 5 mostly out of a need to switch from AT&T to Verizon, not because I was even a little unhappy with the 4. The 5 is cool, but so far there is nothing about it that has really wowed me. I did like how painlessly it restored from the Cloud backup, since I've never done that. All my contacts came over and it's installing all my applications as well, so I'll get to playing with this once they finish.

I'm sure it'll be great, I'm just oddly not excited about it so far. No scuffs is a relief though!

qwerty2k

How's the bass? Not that I'm a bass guy, but for example the Apple in-ear headphones are noticeably light on bass, so I wonder if they done the same to the new earPods.

Bass is reasonable for a headphone which doesn't create a seal, not particularly heavy on the bass but a definite improvement over the tinny tv speaker like bass of the previous headphones.

So it's then final nail in the coffin for the iPhone OG/3G, I guess. Developers will not want to not support the new iPhone screen.
With estimated active usage of 3G/Touch 2G hovering below 10%, apps will slowly move towards supporting the new one, slowly.

It's not a total loss, there's awkward workarounds to only update versions for certain versions and above, but it'd be incredibly awkward to do so (and I'd imagine only the biggest apps like Facebook would take such an approach)

MbB5F.jpg

...and that will be the last shitty picture taken with my iPhone 4 (seriously, I don't know why it came out so ugly it doesn't seem that dark in here.)

please take a pic of the same scene with your i5 and post thx. :D

MajorPain

Is anyone disappointed with there new iphone? Why?

I have an iphone 4 and love it the only reason I want to upgrade is for the 4G LTE.

LordCanti

I just opened my iPhone and ...black shavings got on my fingers. I'm hopeful that it's just dust from the factory where they anodized these things, and not paint that has come off. A thorough inspection of the paint is about to happen, the results of which may crush my soul.

I just opened my iPhone and ...black shavings got on my fingers. I'm hopeful that it's just dust from the factory where they anodized these things, and not paint that has come off. A thorough inspection of the paint is about to happen, the results of which may crush my soul.

CASE CASE CASE CASE

Top Bottom