• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Dinokill

Best Buy screwed me with my preorder.

Now I'm without a phone(I sold my iphone 4 yesterday) and I saw a Best Buy employee with an iPhone 5 in the parking lot.......................

Hari Seldon

Does att give you any room to negotiate contract price down if you're curretly in middle of two year contract?

Your penalty fee goes by the amount spent. Since I have my in-laws in my account and we have 4 phones on a family plan, I am allowed an upgrade phone every like 14 months or so. If you have more than one phone on your account you should check into it. It only works for the master phone on the account though.

I've decided I don't care about ScuffGate, I like it when my devices get that worn-in used look.

ALSO, if it gets too bad, I'm gonna take sandpaper to it and scratch off ALL the black to make it silver + black like the OG iPhone.

Fuck resellability!

CrankyJay

Banned
Small part of me wonders if he just did this...

ifixit-4.jpg

"HAI GUYS, LOOK AT ME!"

I appear to be scuff-free.

Little pissed about no dock for the 5, however. That's how I run audio to my bedroom radio (old skool Sony bookshelf system, yo). Guess I'll wait for the third-party options.

bonesquad

With all the issues with Best Buy I am glad i did not order from them.

I'm worried now about my Wii U pre-order with Best Buy! (I still have a "backup" GameStop order though.)

I didn't upgrade my 4 to iOS 6, but outside of the map downgrade there are a lot of nice new touches. But i need to get used to the tiny 123 number button because I keep accidentally hitting the voice button (I know that's not new to iOS, but it is coming from a 4).

Zeth

Is turning off my 4S part of activating the new one? Restoring from iCloud but still have no service and connecting to iTunes doesn't show anything about activating like the old days. Not swapping lines or anything either, just an AT&T upgrade.

Tabris

Fido is taking a long time to activate my SIM, their systems are crashing and congested. So I don't have voice or data yet (it just turned off on my current iPhone4S so should be soon) but otherwise, I GOT AN IPHONE5! WHOO!

The line was actually a very fun experience. Took about 6-7 hours in total including all lines and wait in the store, but the people around me were a blast to talk to and the first 4 hours flew by quick.

Just syncing everything from itunes now (fast through USB3)

Best Buy screwed me with my preorder.

Now I'm without a phone(I sold my iphone 4 yesterday) and I saw a Best Buy employee with an iPhone 5 in the parking lot.......................
Best Buy had lots of iPhone 5s to sell. Whether or not they had the particular model you preordered is another matter, entirely. They don't have the White 32GB Verizon model at my local Best Buy, but they have the black. My Pops, in a burst of gusto, managed to find that very same model at a Verizon store 5 hours after launch. For all intents, Best Buy is quickly becoming less and less relevant.

iammeiam

Is turning off my 4S part of activating the new one? Restoring from iCloud but still have no service and connecting to iTunes doesn't show anything about activating like the old days. Not swapping lines or anything either, just an AT&T upgrade.

Mine had me activate as part of the initial setup process, listed the phone # it was activating, asking for billing zip and last four of social, and everything. After that step it had me restore from iTunes.

LordCanti

That and well you know it's JUST A FUCKIN PHONE PEOPLE. :)

Hate to see how you guys worried over scratches would react to cancer.

A friend down the street was real anal about his phone. One day his kid drops and scrapes her knees. "oh she'll recover".

Brand new electronics in this price range should be flawless, especially with the attention to detail that Apple usually pays to the fit and finish.

They've dropped the ball on this one.

Dosia

Picked up a black 32 this am at ATT. I am coming from a 3gs so the speed jump his huge along with the nice screen and camera. Honestly though this phone needs to be wider. The 3gs fit better in my hand and this one just seems more uncomfortable to hold. Maybe its because I had a rubber case on the 3gs so that helped add some width to it.

I think I'm gonna downgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 5.1.1 while Aplle is still signing off on it. Then I'm gonna jailbreak it so I can use it without a SIM card, like an iPod Touch.

All my games will go on my iPhone 4 and my sexy iPhone 5 will not be bogged down!

(this idea will work, right? I remember doing this with my OG iPhone when I got the 4...)

nib95

Banned
A little freaked our by just how fast this sucker is. Browser, stores and everything else are just blazing.

This is why contrary to what many believe or say, specs do matter. It's not just software optimisations that let this occur, but raw hardware too.

Top Bottom