• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Oxn

Right, but in that scenario you've still got the data plan. If they let you cancel the data plan outright, that is (using AT&T as an example) $15-$20 out of their pocket every month for two years. They'd be leaving a lot of money on the table.

If Verizon allows this (someone mentioned they might?) then they are saints.

Well then thats the first time I heard anyone call Verizon saints. Yes i would still have the data plan in that scenario but the bill doesnt go up even though i was able to subsidize the ip5 for 200bucks.

But back to the other scenario, Yes , Yes you can.

People say all the time in forums how they are on family plans with family members who dont need smartphones and they just buy their smartphones subsidized and ebay it off.

Filth

hey guys quick question: just got my phone delivered. icloud backup done. sync done. my phone is connected to my computer and itunes is opened and my phone isnt making me setup a new phone my old phone is still activated and its not moving my service to my new phone. it usually has a pop up and makes the transition easy. what should i do ?

I've been at home all day waiting for the fedex guy to show up just in the next room.

I check my tracking number and delivery exception. What the hell? I've been waiting here all day.

Motherfucker didn't even knock. Slipped the door tag on the door and bolted. Now I have to go all the way down to the depot and wait in a big ass line of other people waiting to get their iPhone 5.

I fucking hate FedEx.

Raistlin

this isnt working for me. i plug in the phone and nothing happens.

MPW-16682

iammeiam

For those receiving your phone from Apple.com, does it come with everything needed to activate? Or am I going to need to take it into an AT&T store?

When you first turn it on, it should take you through a setup process. One step in that process will/should be activating your phone with AT&T. You don't actually need to hook it to iTunes at any point, it will try to pick up WiFi for you to set up over.

bonesquad

For those receiving your phone from Apple.com, does it come with everything needed to activate? Or am I going to need to take it into an AT&T store?

The phone will come ready. The transfer was painless and fast (at least for me). I didn't need to connect to iTunes or anything. My new iPhone 5 already even knew my phone number. I just typed in my zipcode and SSN, and watched as a few minutes later it was my active phone. (Though it did make me enter my 20 character wifi password both before and again after activation for some reason.)

CrankyJay

Banned
When you first turn it on, it should take you through a setup process. One step in that process will/should be activating your phone with AT&T. You don't actually need to hook it to iTunes at any point, it will try to pick up WiFi for you to set up over.

Sounds like they changed the process, that's kinda cool.

Just keep trying, the activation servers are undoubtedly getting clobbered right now.

iammeiam

Sounds like they changed the process, that's kinda cool.

Just keep trying, the activation servers are undoubtedly getting clobbered right now.

Very different from the process to activate a 4, for sure. Apple's definitely making strides to cut any sort of computer requirement out of the iPhone purchase and setup process.

CrankyJay

Banned
Very different from the process to activate a 4, for sure. Apple's definitely making strides to cut any sort of computer requirement out of the iPhone purchase and setup process.

Dang, that could entirely be why the line was so short at the mall when I walked by today around noon. That's cool at least.

I'm going to wait awhile to see how things shake out with these phones...see if I can wait for a 5S.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've seen iphone 5 today in the best buy mobile store. I walked there literally as the guys were installing the demo units. Both the black and white demo units had pretty visible scuffs on the back - really visible in fact. I chuckled a bit, but I'm guessing they probably somehow made them while installing into those holders.

I am tired...

HpceA.jpg
Can you post that wallpaper?

Flo_Evans

I've seen iphone 5 today in the best buy mobile store. I walked there literally as the guys were installing the demo units. Both the black and white demo units had pretty visible scuffs on the back - really visible in fact. I chuckled a bit, but I'm guessing they probably somehow made them while installing into those holders.

Can you post that wallpaper?

its a stock one... :p

Here is a photo for all you OCD people!

qQCal.jpg

Most of the O2 shops around me say they have the version of the iPhone 5 I want in stock, so hopefully if I get to the shop early I'll be able to get one.

Does anyone know what I need to bring with me? I wont be upgrading. I'll be bringing my drivers license and car tax letter, which both have my name and address on them. Do I need to bring with me anything else?

Marco1

Been playing with my black ip5 16GB all day and it really is the perfect iphone. I don't know where else they can go with this.
My wife who is usually happy to stay with the same model for 2 years saw the white version and has fallen in love with it.
I really hope the 5S is this with a few under the hood updates as this is my favourite iphone yet.
Also don't go near macrumours, that place is going into meltdown.

Struct09

You don't even need to be connected to WiFi. I activated my AT&T iPhone 5 over 4G.

iCloud restore was a different story, needed WiFi for that.

Got my wife's today from Best Buy - I had one on order for her from the Verizon online store, but I called the local BB and they happened to have one in stock for Verizon in Black/32GB (which is what she wanted) that someone cancelled their preorder for. So I cancelled her order with Verizon and went to BB to pick it up. No scuffgate. And for what it's worth, even the demo units in a Verizon store didn't have any.

Ovid

Been playing with my black ip5 16GB all day and it really is the perfect iphone. I don't know were else they can go with this.
My wife who is usually happy to stay with the same model for 2 years saw the white version and has fallen in love with it.
I really hope the 5S is this with a few under the hood updates as this is my favourite iphone yet.
Also don't go near macrumours, that place is going into meltdown.
LOL.

iammeiam

do you guys think i should wipe the phone and try again? ive had the phone for like 2 hours. :/

Are you AT&T? Did you at any point have to put in your zip and last four of your social? If AT&T and you didn't do that, I don't think it's even trying to activate your phone on cellular.

Filth

Are you AT&T? Did you at any point have to put in your zip and last four of your social? If AT&T and you didn't do that, I don't think it's even trying to activate your phone on cellular.

im at&t and it never asked me to do that. when i turned on the phone it asked me for wifi settings so i connected that and then did my backup through icloud. the first step was the international settings maybe i misclicked a different country? is that a possibility?

iammeiam

im at&t and it never asked me to do that. when i turned on the phone it asked me for wifi settings so i connected that and then did my backup through icloud. the first step was the international settings maybe i misclicked a different country? is that a possibility?

I don't remember if I picked a country or not, but it should try to activate your phone during that process. It should flash up the phone number your phone is assigned and basically ask if that's the right number/if not call AT&T.

Reformatting and trying again can't hurt, otherwise you may need to call AT&T or go to a store to find out what's up.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Picked mine up over lunch. This thing is amazing looking and incredibly fast. One problem, it feels very fragile. I feel like it's going to break sitting in my pocket!

Top Bottom