• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Oxn

I think I'm gonna downgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 5.1.1 while Aplle is still signing off on it. Then I'm gonna jailbreak it so I can use it without a SIM card, like an iPod Touch.

All my games will go on my iPhone 4 and my sexy iPhone 5 will not be bogged down!

Wait you cant use an iphone without a sim card?

So If lets say I dcide I dont want to have a data plan anymore but keep the ip5. Can I still use it like an itouch 5 without a plan on it?

LordCanti

I updated all the apps on my iPhone while on 4G accidentally. There goes my 2gb allotment for the entire month ;_;

Lol. Ever bought a flawless anything at any price? Because I haven't.

I've never purposefully bought anything with paint coming off. If I saw paint coming off of a brand new car for instance, I wouldn't buy that car.

Maybe instead of "flawless" I should have said "not flawed in ways that previous models weren't"

So If lets say I dcide I dont want to have a data plan anymore but keep the ip5. Can I still use it like an itouch 5 without a plan on it?
It's called hacktivating, it lets you use the iPhone without a SIM. I think it'll be a while before iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 allow it, though.

ChanHuk

Banned
Just realized, I never cancelled my Best Buy preorder. Best Buy redeemed by AMEX and Foursquare. $20 cashback on $200 purchases. I have two AMEX cards so that'll cover my restocking fee with AT&T. I'll get about a $10 giftcard with Best Buy Reward Zone as well. Again, white is not right. Once you go black, you never go back. Now if Best Buy will just get me the phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's called hacktivating, it lets you use the iPhone without a SIM. I think it'll be a while before iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 allow it, though.
You can also just borrow someone's SIM card and activate it (be careful of redirecting iMessage) and remove it for wifi only. Apple stores wouldn't even let you pay full price for a locked phone today without checking to make sure you had an active sim and account. Ridiculous.

Raw64life

Tracking said it should've been here by 3. It's 3:20 and I just watched a UPS truck drive right past. UPS is just torturing me now.

Naka

Got my black 64GB all setup. This thing really is blazing fast. There is a minor scuff on the back bottom corner but nothing on the sides. Slightly annoyed but I'm guessing over time the back will continue to get these so I'll probably just deal. After seeing the black first hand I don't think I want white.

Does anyone know where we can get a case? I don't plan on using one but my girlfriend absolutely has to have one. I called the Apple store and they said not until October.

Double D

So I haven't really been following Scuffgate too closely, but does this pertain to the back of the phone or just the trim around the edge of the phone. Also, is the metal on the white phone different looking than that of the 4/4S? It looks shinier in the pics

Epix

Got my black 64GB all setup. This thing really is blazing fast. There is a minor scuff on the back bottom corner but nothing on the sides. Slightly annoyed but I'm guessing over time the back will continue to get these so I'll probably just deal. After seeing the black first hand I don't think I want white.

Does anyone know where we can get a case? I don't plan on using one but my girlfriend absolutely has to have one. I called the Apple store and they said not until October.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/21/great-iphone-5-cases-from-around-amazon-and-other-retaillers/

LordCanti

Newegg, Amazon, etc have cases available. You'd be a case guinea pig though (who knows if those cases will scratch the thing more than it already is).

Oxn

You can also just borrow someone's SIM card and activate it (be careful of redirecting iMessage) and remove it for wifi only. Apple stores wouldn't even let you pay full price for a locked phone today without checking to make sure you had an active sim and account. Ridiculous.

So as long as its been activated once it should work if i decide in the future I dont want a data plan and just use the iphone as a itouch

Probably necessary to stop resellers :(

Hari Seldon

That is the purpose of the contract allowing you to buy it at a reduced price. You can't just cancel your data plan if your contract says you can't. If you buy it without a contract then you can do whatever.

Seriously. Coming from a 4 it's like 'Wow'. I wonder if it's as noticeable to former 4S owners.

I went from a 4 to a 4S to a 5 over the course of about two weeks and each jump in speed was immediately noticeable. I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get to fully appreciate how much faster this is than a 4, but yes, it was very obvious.

Man on MAN the black is so fucking sexy.

This phone is absolutely gorgeous.

Quoting so that this can never be erased.

Oxn

That is the purpose of the contract allowing you to buy it at a reduced price. You can't just cancel your data plan if your contract says you can't. If you buy it without a contract then you can do whatever.

Yes you can. You cancel your data plan anytime you want. You just have to switch back to a dummy phone

Hari Seldon

Yes you can. You cancel your data plan anytime you want. You just have to switch back to a dummy phone

That doesn't sound right. Why would AT&T sell you an iPhone for $200 if you can simply cancel the data after 1 month and not pay a huge penalty?

bumpkin

So shortly after they opened this morning, I gave my local Best Buy a call to find out more about the awesome "too bad, so sad" email they sent last night. Despite the fact that our pre-orders were the first for 64GB, they apparently didn't get *any* of that size in. They were allegedly expecting an additional shipment to arrive later today.

After the disheartening call to the store I actually had them reserved at, I put in a call to the nearest AT&T Store about 10 mins from my office. Lo and behold, they had some 64GB in stock. The only catch was they were both white; my two pre-orders at Best Buy were one black and one white. Since I really wanted my phone and was only in for $50 each on my Best Buy pre-orders and was dead-set on having one today, I drove on over to AT&T and at least got one.

Fast forward to about a half hour ago when I stopped in at Best Buy (~6 hours later); no more phones had arrived. She said that all they got for AT&T customers so far was a bunch of 16GB models. The clerk said that there's a chance the additional shipment could come tomorrow, but if not, Monday would be the next potential day.

At any rate, it should be fun explaining all of this to the wife when she gets home later... The last thing I told her was Best Buy said they weren't in. I didn't mention anything about my extra call and trip to AT&T or having gotten one (mine). I'm really hoping that Best Buy makes good and their shipment comes tomorrow.

Lesson learned, I guess?

P.S.- The white iPhone 5 is so goddamn sexy.

P.P.S.- Sorry I said "fuck you", Sean!. Was just frustrated by the symphony of errors Best Buy has orchestrated.

CrankyJay

Banned
So shortly after they opened this morning, I gave my local Best Buy a call to find out more about the awesome "too bad, so sad" email they sent last night. Despite the fact that our pre-orders were the first for 64GB, they apparently didn't get *any* of that size in. They were allegedly expecting an additional shipment to arrive later today.

After the disheartening call to the store I actually had them reserved at, I put in a call to the nearest AT&T Store about 10 mins from my office. Lo and behold, they had some 64GB in stock. The only catch was they were both white; my two pre-orders at Best Buy were one black and one white. Since I really wanted my phone and was only in for $50 each on my Best Buy pre-orders and was dead-set on having one today, I drove on over to AT&T and at least got one.

Fast forward to about a half hour ago when I stopped in at Best Buy (~6 hours later); no more phones had arrived. She said that all they got for AT&T customers so far was a bunch of 16GB models. The clerk said that there's a chance the additional shipment could come tomorrow, but if not, Monday would be the next potential day.

At any rate, it should be fun explaining all of this to the wife when she gets home later... The last thing I told her was Best Buy said they weren't in. I didn't mention anything about my extra call and trip to AT&T or having gotten one (mine). I'm really hoping that Best Buy makes good and their shipment comes tomorrow.

Lesson learned, I guess?

P.S.- The white iPhone 5 is so goddamn sexy.

So....who got the white? You or her?

Oxn

That doesn't sound right. Why would AT&T sell you an iPhone for $200 if you can simply cancel the data after 1 month and not pay a huge penalty?

Cant speak for ATT but its true for verizon.

You can switch back to a dummy phone anytime you want.

The subsidized phone is to keep you on contract. Not for data but for the phone plan.

Im an ultra sure of this.

def sim

This phone really is super light. I've almost tossed this thing twice simply doing arm motions while talking.

How much does it cost to replace one of these without AppleCare+?

LordCanti

Other than how warm it is and the paint issue, I love this phone. Everything is so snappy, from opening mail to taking pictures and browsing the web. I think I'm going to sim swap my phone with a white one (so I don't go insane) but I can definitely see myself using this for two years.

Oxn

It doesn't sound right because it isn't right. If you cancel the data plan, you get hit with the ETF I think.

Think about this for a second.

Why else would they give you the option to transfer upgrades?

For example, my mom is on a dummy plan, and Im on a smartphone plan in the same plan. She is up for an upgrade and i take her upgrade to get an ip5. SHE IS NOT hit with a data plan right? Right.

The bill remains the same even though i took her upgrade for a smartphone on my line.

Anyone else leave their phone alone for awhile and then come back to it and think the screen is on the surface of wherever you left it only to find out that the phone is so black that you can't tell either way until you pick it up?

Aesthet1c

For those receiving your phone from Apple.com, does it come with everything needed to activate? Or am I going to need to take it into an AT&T store?

LordCanti

Think about this for a second.

Why else would they give you the option to transfer upgrades?

For example, my mom is on a dummy plan, and Im on a smartphone plan in the same plan. She is up for an upgrade and i take her upgrade to get an ip5. SHE IS NOT hit with a data plan right? Right.

The bill remains the same even though i took her upgrade for a smartphone on my line.

Right, but in that scenario you've still got the data plan. If they let you cancel the data plan outright, that is (using AT&T as an example) $15-$20 out of their pocket every month for two years. They'd be leaving a lot of money on the table.

If Verizon allows this (someone mentioned they might?) then they are saints.

Anyone else leave their phone alone for awhile and then come back to it and think the screen is on the surface of wherever you left it only to find out that the phone is so black that you can't tell either way until you pick it up?

The home button is usually a dead giveaway :p

Sean

Banned
Just noticed like two tiny specks of dust or dirt that appears to be stuck under the touch screen. Can only see it when the screen is white, but now that I noticed it it'll piss me off. Ugh, guess I'll maybe try and exchange it.

Robot Pants

So....is the current situation that Google Maps aren't available as a separate download from the APP store and we are stuck with APPLE MAPS, but Google Maps are on the way?
Forgive me, I've never owned an iPhone and have been waiting for the 5 so I can get rid of my shitty Android phone. No google maps might be a huge problem though, especially with how apple maps are being received.

Top Bottom