• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

rozay

Banned
Wow, Apple really went downhill after Steve Jobs died.

At least we know for sure that the S3 is the best smartphone out right now.
Best is subjective, but the S3, iP5, and lumia 920/ATIV S are all on a pretty similar playing field depending on which route you want to go.

Raw64life

Was hoping for more innovation, but I'll admit I was going to get this phone pretty much no matter what. Probably the most annoying thing to me is that the prices still have $100 gaps between 16, 32 & 64GB as if it's still 2005.

def sim

What's the factory unlocked price for the iPhone 5 in the USA? The UK and Canada unlocked prices have been increased but the Apple website is seemingly only showing the subsidized price in the USA...

4S sold for $649/$749/$849 unlocked. It should be the same with the 5.

rozay

Banned
4S sold for $649/$749/$849 unlocked. It should be the same with the 5.
I don't think the USA is going to be the only country without a price jump. Subsidized pricing model staying the same has no relation.

If we are talking about the OS and which someone prefers, sure, but technical specs, not really subjective.
The only technical spec the S3 has over the other two is an extra gig of ram. Everything else is pretty much matching-A15 (or in the S4's case, A15 based) processors, likely similar camera modules, best in class screens (IPS and AMOLED preferences are subjective) and battery life and reception are close as well.

bionic77

The thing is it was only a year ago when the iPhone was without a doubt the best smartphone to get on the market. But in that past year, Android has finally caught up with the Nexus and Galaxy S III and such. The iPhone and the top of the line Android phones are all pretty equal right now. There really is no "best phone" anymore, it all comes down to personal preference.

Personally, I'll be upgrading to the 5 from my 4. Android phones haven't shown me a reason to switch over from iOS, although if you're an Android user, there isn't much incentive to switch over to iOS either. However, when my next upgrade rolls around, and if Android shows they offer better products than the iPhone, I wouldn't mind switching over.

It's because some people have to justify their purchases, no matter how stupid they sound.
I agree with everything except about the 4S. Personally I thought it was a step backwards from the 4. The truth is that as you said there is
not much of a difference between Android and Apple phones anymore. When the 4 came out it was lightyears ahead of Android phones. It was the first phone I had that was incredibly quick, beautiful, had all day battery (whereas even the 4S battery sucks in comparison), and basically everything just worked.

Since ICS and beyond Android phones are at that point, with maybe the exception of all day battery (and let's be honest, some of their phones have at least 4S of better battery).

I am going with the 5 because I hate my 4S and also because I hope to get better battery life, but after playing around with the last Nexus I don't think it would be hard for most people to switch back and forth. Unless you need to host torrents on your phone or alternatively unless you need iOS only apps, there are a lot of phones that will meet your need.

The truth is that Apple has not blown us away since the 4, but neither have Google or MS. Right now things seem to be pretty static and it is anyone's guess as to who will make the next big thing. And if MS can get more support people will have 3 good options.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Amazon is offering $212 to trade in my 32gig 4. Go with them or could I get more on eBay / Craigslist?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do people really not care about getting super fast network speeds, or do they all just use their phones at home only?

border

What's the factory unlocked price for the iPhone 5 in the USA? The UK and Canada unlocked prices have been increased but the Apple website is seemingly only showing the subsidized price in the USA...

They might not be selling unlocked phones in the states for a little while.

I imagine it'll be $650 -- which is $100 more than they are selling the 4S for, $200 more than what they are selling the iPhone 4 for.

bionic77

Do people really not care about getting super fast network speeds, or do they all just use their phones at home only?
4G is only interesting with unlimited net IMHO.

On my Verizon mifi I can go through my 5 gigs in a few hours. I have to limit it to just office stuff.

sangreal

I've always found it strange, but the impression I get from reading GAF is that everyone spends their entire day with WiFi coverage. This isn't limited to Apple users, you see it in every thread where a product comes with a WiFi-only option

(unlimited) 4G blows away public/hotel/airport WiFi anyway, so it is still a big feature to me even when I do have WiFi

PaulLFC

I really want the iPhone 5, but Apple aren't making it an easy decision for me.

Incremental update to what I understand was already a fairly incremental update in the 4S, although I'm still quite interested in getting one since the last iPhone I owned was the 3GS.

Now I notice that Apple have put the unlocked price up to £529 instead of £499 (and no doubt higher capacities will be £629 and £729). I wonder what their justification for the price increase is? It's not like they can't be making a healthy profit on them at £499 anyway...

rozay

Banned
Size and weight are also technical specs. I laugh at the Nokia 920 with its 182g weight compared to the 112g iPhone 5.
Yeah, the iPhone will definitely fit better in girl hands. I guess it's the side effect of the polycarbonate casing they use.

woober

I don't see why not. I've done this before with other phones but you have to go to your provider to get the SIM. Just say you purchased the iPhone 5 and need a SIM.

I can only speak for Verizon, but when we had a family plan we swapped upgrades all the time. Still do, but its a business plan now

So when I order the iPhone for my other family member and they get their nanosim that will never get used, their old sim will still work?

noah111

Still Alive
Wow, the nano design looks like a rip off of the lumia design
6tPJ3.jpg

But I do agree, it looks a lot like a mini-Lumia.

sarcastor

wait does anyone know if Lighting is usb 3.0 or 2.0?

cause it's pretty fucking ridiculous to not be supporting 3.0 when its BACKWARDS compatible.

Raonak

Banned
Seems like latest iphone isn't the best smartphone best by default anymore.

Iphones, androids and windows phones seem to finally be on a leveled playing field.
will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.

I think I'm finally going to take the smartphone plunge. They never really interested me that much, as I mostly text and talk to family, but my phone (or should I say GFs old phone) has pretty much bit the dust with ~30-60 min battery life under constant use.

I've been stupid enough to pay $50 a month for a talk and text plan through sprint using this bad boy:

32716515-2-440-OVR-1.gif

If I did my math right, the iphone 5 should cost me $30 a month on her family plan with unlimited everything. So it makes sense for me to get it for economical reasons as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Most have pretty limiting data plans or significant throttling. tends to temper excitement.
Actually, I keep a data monitor on my Droid (I have unlimited LTE through Verizon) and I've never gone anywhere near any of the caps on regular use. From the 21st of last month to now I've used 229 MB and I do a lot of typical browsing. I'm not listening to Pandora a lot or anything, but typical Facebook, etc. webservices don't actually use that much data.

rozay

Banned
Yeah for what the Lumia packs inside it it'll hopefully be worth it. Plus 185g isn't that heavy, let's be honest.
all that weight and the extra millimeter compared to the iPhone 4 will definitely cause it to bulge and weigh down their skinny jeans!

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
oh man, im on the unlimited data plan with verizon and now i need to spend at least $600 for the iphoine 5 to keep my current plan. maybe i'll wait a few month and find one cheap on craigslist. do the new headphones come with the iphone 5? also, why is the audio on the bottom of the phone/

bionic77

Actually, I keep a data monitor on my Droid (I have unlimited LTE through Verizon) and I've never gone anywhere near any of the caps on regular use. From the 21st of last month to now I've used 229 MB and I do a lot of typical browsing. I'm not listening to Pandora a lot or anything, but typical Facebook, etc. webservices don't actually use that much data.
You can do all of that stuff on 3G.

The stuff you can like watching high quality video of fast as balls downloads goes through caps like a hot knife through butter.

Size and weight are also technical specs. I laugh at the Nokia 920 with its 182g weight compared to the 112g iPhone 5.

I think having a better phone all in all is worth the weight.

You have all the nice things of windows phone 8 including live-tiles (versus new row of icons lol) and lenses

- NFC > no NFC

- Wireless charging > no wireless charging

- Best camera in any current smartphone > good camera

- Huge screen with higher dpi > smaller screen with lower dpi

- Touchscreen that can be used with anything > old touch screen tech

- Screen with highest refresh rate > lower refresh rate

- Screen with (according to nokia) best sunlight readability > worse readability

this is just hardware stuff, and im sure im missing it. and windows phone 8 is not even fully unveiled - and wp7 is awesome already. looks like nokia really has been pushing the envelope with the 920

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seems like latest iphone isn't the best smartphone best by default anymore.

Iphones, androids and windows phones seem to finally be on a leveled playing field.
will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years.

If you assume an even tech platform, you still have the app advantage going:

iOS>>Android>>>>>>>>WP

Software should be the main driving force behind smartphone decisions at this point. iOS gives you the best App marketplace and smoothest/easiest user experience and excellent updates, Android gives a pretty comparable App marketplace and pretty comparable smooth experience with a much much more customizable OS that you can have fun screwing around with and making your own but mediocre updates, and WP seems to have a comparable smooth experience with a subpar (at the moment) App marketplace and an absolutely terrible record of updates, even worse than Android.

Angry Grimace

The stuff you can like watching high quality video of fast as balls downloads goes through caps like a hot knife through butter.

The difference in speed in the execution of various functions isn't even really comparable. The difference in the browsing speed alone is clear and apparent.

I mean, it's not like I don't have 3G on my LTE enabled phone. It's easy to compare.

That sucks. If Apple doesnt support it who will?

Good question. I doubt we'll see one for iPhones anytime soon since I don't think many PCs support it, we're more likely to get a USB 3 cable before we get a thunderbolt version. I really wish I had some use for my thunderbolt port.

rozay

Banned

have you heard of something called latency? LTE is a serious upgrade.

Top Bottom