• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LeleSocho

Banned
yeah i guess i am being a little protective of my $300 phone

a214w.png

It really doesn't look so bad like this

TheExodu5

Banned
yeah i guess i am being a little protective of my $300 phone

a214w.png

First off, that's not a screen.

Second, I've had an iPhone 4 since it came out and have never used a screen protector. I kept it in pockets with keys and other shit. It has nothing more than a few tiny surface scratches that you can only see when the screen is off and at the right angle.

A screen protector just makes the screen look terrible.

Epix

To anybody with their phone yet, do you hear a slight rattle from the volume buttons when you tap on the back or front of the phone?

Marco1

I have purchased and opened my new ip5 but it's only 16GB and I can see myself using this up quite fast.
Would apple exchange this to a 32GB once they arrive in stock?
I live in the UK.

bonesquad

The hardware buttons feel much more solid than on previous iPhones, particularly the Home button. Just a really nice tactile click. Anyone else notice this?

Yes and no. They do take more force with a nice click, but they also have a very loose feel to them build quality-wise. Well, the home button is solid at least.

Struct09

Weird... AT&T's website lists Seattle as the only city in Washignton with LTE Coming Soon, and I'm about 45 minutes north of there. I guess they turned it on and didn't update the site?

Yep, and I'm in Seattle too :) Some people reported seeing LTE on their other AT&T phones earlier this week.

Just got it. No scuffs. Its transferring all my shit from my 4 to the 5 as I type this.

I got a little emotional when I opened it, and I almost shed a tear.

snack

Second, I've had an iPhone 4 since it came out and have never used a screen protector. I kept it in pockets with keys and other shit. It has nothing more than a few tiny surface scratches that you can only see when the screen is off and at the right angle.

That, and the feel just isn't right.

Naked screen is best screen.

gamma

Now take this with a huge grain of salt but according to this guy who spoke with Apple Support (German) the scuffed iPhones are part of a defective charge due to a defective manufacturing machine and can be identified through the serial #.

Personally I don't believe it since it's only one source and the scuffs seem to too widespread to be just from one charge but what do I know. Maybe we'll get more info from other people in the next days.

Xcellere

Well if you know for sure you're going to break it in the next two years, then ya it's worth saving $50. Did you break your current phone over the last two years?

If anyone through AT&T is having trouble activating, call them up and do it over the phone. That's what I had to do; just going over iTunes didn't work.

P.S. This phone is BOSS. God I love it.

Just tried the EarPods, I'm not any great audiophile but they are darn good! A huge improvement on the old earbuds. REALLY loud and very clear even at top volume.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just got it. No scuffs. Its transferring all my shit from my 4 to the 5 as I type this.

Apple puts a ton of work in creating a flawless and satisfying unboxing experience with their products.

Shedding a tear though? That's a little too crazy :D

Just tried the EarPods, I'm not any great audiophile but they are darn good! A huge improvement on the old earbuds. REALLY loud and very clear even at top volume.

The sound quality all around on the 5 seems like it's a big step up. I may be completely off base on this, but even on the same headphones, the sound quality seems better.

KingGondo

Banned
Don't know if this is hyperbole or not (I kinda hope so) but you're right that there are few consumer experiences better than opening a new Apple product.

Hell, my Airport Extreme was even packaged beautifully.

Don't know if this is hyperbole or not (I kinda hope so) but you're right that there are few consumer experiences better than opening a new Apple product.

I can't even remember the last time I bought an electronic device that made me feel like that.

Anyone know how to fix this?

iB2s4.jpg

Been trying to verify my card for hours. Happens when trying to make an App Store purchase from the new phone but after entering my security code.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

So when I got mine all set up I ran a speedtest as the connection said "4G". Looked at the results (bottom), said "that's all?", a bit disappointed. Ran a wifi baseline test for kicks and felt a tiny bit better.

Played around with all the shiny newness, and at some point my wifi cut off and voila, "LTE" magically appeared. "They're different", I mused. Ran another test and laughed maniacally. So awesome.

I used a screen protector throughout the life of my iPhone 4 use, not going to this time, the screen is just so much more vibrant without one and with gorilla glass 2 (official?) I don't think I need it

Hoo-doo

Banned
Might be the lighting and the way I took the pics (used the iPad 3 camera) but I think that the case looks fine. I really would have preferred to go naked, but not after that scuffing issue.

Remember though that plenty of cases actually cause massive scuffing on the side of the phone because dirt gets in between the two surfaces. I don't feel it's worth the risk at all.

iammeiam

I miss the old iPod boxes--like back in 3G when they were these giant cubes of goodies. Apple still packages very well, but I've yet to get anything from them (up to and including a laptop) that matched the sense of "Holy shit this is amazing" I got from the experience of unboxing an iPod 3rd gen.

LiK

Might be the lighting and the way I took the pics (used the iPad 3 camera) but I think that the case looks fine. I really would have preferred to go naked, but not after that scuffing issue.

i like Speck and they're quite solid. i just dont like how much bulk they add to it. i had an iPod Touch one.

jts

...hate me...
Guise, now pay attention to me.

Seriously guise.

The iPhone is going on sale next friday here in my country. So when should it be put up for sale in the Apple Store online? Monday?
I'm serial guise.

I want to get the first batch, not wait 2-3 weeks :(

What's the historical on this?

Remember though that plenty of cases actually cause massive scuffing on the side of the phone because dirt gets in between the two surfaces. I don't feel it's worth the risk at all.
Pretty much.

Your phone will get scuffed no matter what over time.

And this is coming from someone that spend an embarrassing amount of money on cases over the years.

def sim

Well if you know for sure you're going to break it in the next two years, then ya it's worth saving $50. Did you break your current phone over the last two years?

I owned the 4S for only ten months before I used it to completely finance my latest purchase, but the six phones before it all had to be replaced at least once. General clumsiness, friend shenanigans, alcohol, or all three usually.

dyls

I feel like I'm the last one in line for UPS, still out for delivery!

How about this one? I just went to the office at my apartment complex and found out that the UPS guy delivered five iPhones this morning - but not mine. Apparently there were still a bunch on the truck but he didn't have time to find them, so he's just coming back in an hour or two... despite the fact that my delivery says "by 3:00."

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I am going to buy my wife's phone this weekend (well order it ;P). Odds of it being IN STOCK somewhere? Or is it pretty much sold out all over?

My wife and I were joking around about me getting one and I said it was not big enough for me to use (she says I like huge phones...even though mine is the same size as her Iphone 4)

She showed me this video, not sure if this was posted already...but I chuckled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XNBP18nrRdw

I kinda want one ;P

gamma

How about this one? I just went to the office at my apartment complex and found out that the UPS guy delivered five iPhones this morning - but not mine. Apparently there were still a bunch on the truck but he didn't have time to find them, so he's just coming back in an hour or two... despite the fact that my delivery says "by 3:00."

lol, I thought you're going to say that he'll come back tomorrow. Be happy it's only a few hours. To be fair, it's a really stressfull time for them.

Dartastic

The sound quality all around on the 5 seems like it's a big step up. I may be completely off base on this, but even on the same headphones, the sound quality seems better.
Unfortunately I've been having slight problems in my car with my cassette adapter and iTunes Match. I can hear far more buzzing than I could on my 4. Oh well. Also. Didn't even bother with the potential eBay instant sell fail of a sticky home button. Sold it to someone else for 190 instead! Only a ten dollar hit to get cash in hand. Yay!

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Yeah, figured they'd be all backed up but I didn't realize it would take THIS long.

Top Bottom