• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

plainr_

Preordered minutes after AT&T's site went live. My phones have officially been backordered according to the reps I just spoke to minutes ago. This is horse shit.

undecided

UPS just dropped off my factory scratched black 5.

Already in worse condition than a year old 4S. Do they really not have quality control?

Definitely returning it.

Raw64life

UPS tortured me until 4:30 but got it and loving it. Looks like I avoided the scuffs a lot of people having been getting. Was going to attempt to go caseless but now after everything I'm reading I wanna run out and get one right now. Any good sites with recommendations for cases yet?

gamma

Now take this with a huge grain of salt but according to this guy who spoke with Apple Support (German) the scuffed iPhones are part of a defective charge due to a defective manufacturing machine and can be identified through the serial #.

Personally I don't believe it since it's only one source and the scuffs seem to too widespread to be just from one charge but what do I know. Maybe we'll get more info from other people in the next days.

I'll quote my post again for the new page, although the situation is still the same.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Per-ordered with AT&T 6am pacific when they went live last Friday. Was told my phone is still two weeks back ordered. Cancelled this morning and walked into San Fran flagship apple store at 3pm. PLENTY were left, 10 minutes later I am typing this post on the iPhone 5.

Fuck this thing is light and fast! White 32gb if we're keeping tally

LordCanti

I'm getting 23mbps/11mbps over AT&T's LTE here in the KC burbs. The download speed isn't faster than my home connection, but that upload speed certainly is. I'll actually get to enjoy the LTE next month when I'm not up against the limit (I accidentally upgraded almost 2gb of apps over LTE instead of WIFI ><).

The warmness I felt on the phone has gone away oddly enough. It's now room temperature. Maybe that's because I turned LTE off?

I'll be switching with a white one at the first opportunity (scuffffgateeee), but I'm really impressed with the phone otherwise. Coming from an IP4, the speed of the camera, mail app, map app, etc, is a revelation.

Hoo-doo

Banned
UPS tortured me until 4:30 but got it and loving it. Looks like I avoided the scuffs a lot of people having been getting. Was going to attempt to go caseless but now after everything I'm reading I wanna run out and get one right now. Any good sites with recommendations for cases yet?

If you really want to protect it just get a sleeve for when you carry it around, best protection there is. Hard plastic cases will risk damaging your device either way.

Just don't drop the thing. ;)

Naka

Anyone from Orange County, CA in here? I'm in Irvine and currently not connected to LTE. I could have sworn I read it was available in OC.

Anyone from Orange County, CA in here? I'm in Irvine and currently not connected to LTE. I could have sworn I read it was available in OC.
Uh oh. I'm in Irvine too, but my iPhone 5 is at home.

I swear if AT&T doesn't have LTE coverage in Irvine...

One negative people have pointed out about the white phone is that the black borders used to vertically center apps that don't yet support the full height of the screen (which is almost all of them currently) are MUCH more noticeable than on the black, where they are basically invisible.

Well that was dissapointing...

SMJh1.png

Verizon fucked up my order and I'm mad. I cancelled my wife's phone order and my phone was on the same order. I asked him specifically if my phone was still on order and the dude answered "yes sir" 3 times. I felt like a jerk asking. Went home to look up the order status and the whole damn thing was cancelled. Now instead of Oct 5 the expected arrival date is Oct 19. Goddammit.

LaneDS

Combined with how underwhelmed I am with the iPhone 5 so far and the scuff issue, I think I'm going to return the thing tomorrow and wait to see how it plays out. I used a naked iPhone 4 for more than two years without issue, and that iFixIt video was enough to change my mind on iPhone 5 ownership... very disappointing.

PatzCU

Just opened up my 5. First impressions, unfucking real at how thin, light, and sexy it looks. Coming from a 3GS, this is some space-aged hardware right here.

Unfortunately, mine also came with a piece of lint or metal wedged inbetween the side of the screen and the bezel. How picky am I allowed to be in asking for an exchange? Scuffgate doesn't bother me, but this appears to be a gap between the screen and bezel.

lexi

Banned
Bloody hell at those scratches.... This is from someone who thought Antennagate wasn't a big deal.

I love using my iPhone 4 without a case, a case just ruins the feel and immaculate design. I carry my phone in a purse pocket along with my keys and have done so since I've had it, and I can't see any obvious scratches on it. When cleaned it looks as nice as the day I bought it. This is super disappointing, I hope there's some further clarification on what's happening.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just opened up my 5. First impressions, unfucking real at how thin, light, and sexy it looks. Coming from a 3GS, this is some space-aged hardware right here.

Unfortunately, mine also came with a piece of lint or metal wedged inbetween the side of the screen and the bezel. How picky am I allowed to be in asking for an exchange? Scuffgate doesn't bother me, but this appears to be a gap between the screen and bezel.

Fuck it, if it isn't perfect, exchange it for one that is. You're paying top dollar for that thing.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Finally got home! What a long day of work (though, honestly, work itself was pretty good!)

8010572274_b46d3e3758_z.jpg

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
UPS likes to drop off my packages by 7:30pm. Thankfully, for some unknown reason, they delivered my iPhone at 9:30 this morning.

Haha well right after I made this post the ups guy was rolling down the street. I asked if he was delivering a lot of these and he said not really. I guess my neighborhood is really the last in line.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL! I'm not taking the plastic off until i can get a screen protector and case on this thing stat!

Timo

How is the white one holding up for everyone so far? Everyone is just talking about the scuffing on the black iphone, and I know it'll be a lot less noticeable on the white, but is it scuffing at all?

Edit: ^Late to the game I see, but still.

undecided

On the phone with apple support and they put me on hold while they figure out what they are supposed to do about the factory scratches.. Maybe this guy just started his shift? Seems like it should be a common enough call.

Septimius

What. That's redonkulous. Shouldn't it be safe inside its packaging? I get that it can scuff in a pocket with keys, but really?

Top Bottom