• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

bonesquad

seems like if the ups driver did a sharp turn would = scuffs.

My scuff shipped phone looks more like the machine polishing the phone or whatever just nicked the phone in the process.

While I'm sure if you took keys to the sides or back it would scratch, it doesn't seem that scratch prone. Time will tell.

bionic77

Damn. LTE is crazy fast.

The speed of the NAND flash can't even saturate USB 3.0. That'd be technology for technology's sake.
I want something to plug into the thunderbolt port on my Air.

Looks like AT&T LTE speeds are pretty average do far. Some don't seem to be any better than 3.5G. Oh well I still have my mifi if I want real speed.

giga

http://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro25&D=Apple+iPhone+5&testgroup=overall

Better glbenchmark scores than the 2012 iPad is…pretty good.

28.6fps on egypt hd (1080p) and 90.7 fps on classic (1080p).

http://www.anandtech.com/print/6185

49438.png

49440.png

FinKL

Omg, I didn't believe in the LTE, but the speeds you guys are saying is definitely cable-modem replaceable. I wouldn't replace though, considering how unstable cell signal is, unless LTE is more stable?

LordCanti

What. That's redonkulous. Shouldn't it be safe inside its packaging? I get that it can scuff in a pocket with keys, but really?

Mine was pre-scuffed =/

That ifixit video is insane. The finish (I assume) on the back aluminum seems to just come right off, and the beveled edge is even worse. Assuming that it is just the coating scratching (and not the underlying aluminum) I hope the white one will fare better.

Omg, I didn't believe in the LTE, but the speeds you guys are saying is definitely cable-modem replaceable. I wouldn't replace though, considering how unstable cell signal is, unless LTE is more stable?

There isn't a provider that I know of that would give you enough data for it to be economical as a home connection replacement. Not in the US anyway. If you aren't in the US and the providers aren't as stingy, then yeah, tethering would be a fine option for places that didn't have high speed home connections.

Septimius

Mine was pre-scuffed =/

That ifixit video is insane. The finish (I assume) on the back aluminum seems to just come right off, and the beveled edge is even worse. Assuming that it is just the coating scratching (and not the underlying aluminum) I hope the white one will fare better.

I thought it was anodized. Or.. I thought anodized meant the aluminium was blackened, not coated with something that can chip off. Bah.

I'm still getting a black one, and I'll probably end up with a bumper. I love naked iPhones, but my usual pants have the type of pocket where it will very easily fall out if there's nothing with more friction to catch it. I just figured I'll take off the bumper of my 4S, and see how I fare.

LordCanti

I thought it was anodized. Or.. I thought anodized meant the aluminium was blackened, not coated with something that can chip off. Bah.

I'm still getting a black one, and I'll probably end up with a bumper. I love naked iPhones, but my usual pants have the type of pocket where it will very easily fall out if there's nothing with more friction to catch it. I just figured I'll take off the bumper of my 4S, and see how I fare.

Isn't anodizing a process where they uhh...mmm...electrically put a coating on...mmm...

I'm going to stop here. I have no idea. I know that the scuffs reveal what looks to be regular aluminum underneath the black.

ugh. My iphone isn't connecting to ATT internet. I can make calls, but nada data. Wifi works.

I don't understand. I'm in Los Angeles and i know there is not just LTE, but 4g or 3g I can connect to where I am.

Any idea what is going on? Am I doing something stupid?

Go to settings and make sure cellular data is on.

ugh. My iphone isn't connecting to ATT internet. I can make calls, but nada data. Wifi works.

I don't understand. I'm in Los Angeles and i know there is not just LTE, but 4g or 3g I can connect to where I am.

Septimius

Isn't anodizing a process where they uhh...mmm...electrically put a coating on...mmm...

I'm going to stop here. I have no idea. I know that the scuffs reveal what looks to be regular aluminum underneath the black.

Yeah, I think I'm victim of the Apple effect. "IT'S ANODIZED, HELL YEAHHHHH... what does that mean.. WHATEVEEEEER!"

Sucks to hear that your iPhone was scuffed, though :/

LordCanti

Been on the phone with Sprint for over an hour to just activate my damn phone. WTF.

I'm now thankful for AT&T's simple online activation process.

Yeah, I think I'm victim of the Apple effect. "IT'S ANODIZED, HELL YEAHHHHH... what does that mean.. WHATEVEEEEER!"

I'm going to swap it for a white one tomorrow probably. I love the look of the black one, but...eh...I'll go mental trying to avoid scuffs.

Fjordson

Lmfao. This was me as well. "SEXY AS FUCK" has been my general thoughts on the phone, but all this scuff business seems so widespread =[

IllumiNate

Yeah got sick of waiting for Telus and went ahead with Bell since they had the color and size I wanted.
$75/month
6gb
Free after 6 and weekends
Video/voicemail, Call display
Fab 10
ulm txt nationwide
200 daytime minutes nationwide
Bell Mobile TV 10 hrs/month

Not bad I think

CIMG0263_zps6d4b57aa.jpg

Xcellere

You have to call AT&T and ask them to activate your data, have them provision your IMEI and ICCID and reboot your phone.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah got sick of waiting for Telus and went ahead with Bell since they had the color and size I wanted.
$75/month
6gb
Fab 10
ulm txt nationwide

Not bad I think

CIMG0263_zps6d4b57aa.jpg

Man... definitely getting the white/silver.

$75/month
6gb
Fab 10
ulm txt nationwide

Not bad I think

CIMG0263_zps6d4b57aa.jpg

Any scuffs?

Whooter

Hello iPhoneGAF,

This isn't strictly an iPhone 5 question, but I'm hoping someone can help. I *did* get my 5 today (w00t!), upgraded from a 4. Now, I want to give my old 4 to my son who has a 3GS. What procedure do I need to follow to make that happen? I'm assuming a call to AT&T will be involved?

Thanks in advance!

$75/month
6gb
Fab 10
ulm txt nationwide

Not bad I think

CIMG0263_zps6d4b57aa.jpg
Sexay. It's what I got also.

ChanHuk

Banned
Hello iPhoneGAF,

This isn't strictly an iPhone 5 question, but I'm hoping someone can help. I *did* get my 5 today (w00t!), upgraded from a 4. Now, I want to give my old 4 to my son who has a 3GS. What procedure do I need to follow to make that happen? I'm assuming a call to AT&T will be involved?

Thanks in advance!

Swap SIM cards and you're good to go.

Epix

There's a slight rattling noise when you tap on the back (two different phones). I think it's from the power button on the top.

suaveric

I'm now thankful for AT&T's simple online activation process.

I'm still waiting to get activated by AT&T. they shut off my old phone about an hour after I used their online activation. That was 7 hours ago. I would have called them earlier but I've been busy all day.

I'm still waiting to get activated by AT&T. they shut off my old phone about an hour after I used their online activation. That was 7 hours ago. I would have called them earlier but I've been busy all day.
I went the other way, from AT&T to Verizon, and it activated in 10 seconds.

Top Bottom