• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
At UPS distribution center. There are over 100 people here. 2 phones have gone out in 27 minutes. Fuck.
Wow that sucks.

I set mine up for pickup at 7:30 since nobody was home at the time of delivery. Then, 2 hours before I'm supposed to pick it up, I get a call from UPS saying my carrier has a lock on it and they aren't allowed to give it to me unless I contact my carrier and let them know what's up. wtf?

andycapps

Sprint's servers were slammed earlier. Errored out when I tried to activate online so I had to chat with a rep who got it sorted. Love the phone. Chrome is a such a good browser on it, they just need to update it.

Wiz

Sprint's servers were slammed earlier. Errored out when I tried to activate online so I had to chat with a rep who got it sorted. Love the phone. Chrome is a such a good browser on it, they just need to update it.

I just chatted with a rep too on their site. She said the activation would take 3-4 hours.

I'm still pissed I was on hold for over an hour though. Oh well.

Sean

Banned
I hate Apple Store employees sometimes.

After waiting on hold for like half an hour and asking the guy if I'd be able to exchange my phone today, he says "come on in" , so I delete all the stuff off my phone, drive all the way there, only to be told that they're sold out of ATT phones and can't do an exchange. Then he tells me to come back tomorrow cause they "might" get more. What a waste of time...

rhino4evr

Anyone else have a SIM card problem? I had to remove it and re-install it. Thought the card was faulty, but it was just loose

Also no scruffs.

Coming from a 3S... Wow what a difference

Dinokill

Tha day is comming to an end and I'm without an iPhone 5 thanks to Best Buy. I sold my iPhone 4 yesterday counting in fucking Best Buy. Now I have no phone until who knows when.

Fuck Best Buy and I hope they don't pull this shit with the WiiU.

rinse82

Anyone having wifi issues?

Twice in the last hour my wifi has stopped working despite showing me as connected - only a reboot fixes it,

Tabris

No WiFi issues here but I'm using an AirPort Extreme.

Man I am so shocked how fast this phone is. I was honestly buying it for minor features not really getting how fast this CPU and LTE actually was.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Hmm contract on my iPhone 4 runs out on the 16th next month and switching carriers in Australia. Might actually grab a white 5, scuff marks more noticeable on the black or white SKU? Also pondering if I should go for the 64gb or 32gb version...

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
So I canceled my preorder through Apple at 8am this morning (it would have shipped between 10/10-10/16). I went into AT&T at 2pm, and they still had some 16GB White 5's left. I went to check out, and they told me I was not eligible for an upgrade because my Apple cancellation had not yet processed through them. I was so f-ing mad. By 5:30pm, the cancellation had processed through AT&T, so I went back in. Of course, they were sold out by then. I've now ordered a 5 that will be here in ~2 1/2 weeks. I wanted to knock the girl out though who put a 5 in my hands and then told me I couldn't have it.

Necrovex

Man, I feel lucky, the employees at the Apple store were extremely helpful and not at all a burden. I am loving my new (and first) iPhone 5. It's a really strange transition leaving my Droid X to this shiny phone. When I get everything finalized with this phone, I'll start paying for some apps.

Some people in this thread are really bloodthirsty about not getting a phone today. I'm a little scared to be in here.

Everyone who paid full retail (like me) in order to keep Unlimited Data on Verizon, you need to check your My Verizon and make sure they didn't switch plans on you. They downgraded me to a 2GB plan, even though I should have been grandfathered into the unlimited, and it even appeared as unlimited plan when ordering from Apple.

I was prepared for the worst when I opened up a live chat with Verizon, but they fixed it right away. And the rep was so full of humor too, on what I can only imagine is a very stressful day for them.

I got the best rep ever!

ME: Hello. I received my new iPhone 5 from Apple. I paid full retail price, so my unlimited plan should not have changed. It appears I have been switched to a 2GB plan. However, I should be grandfathered into the unlimited plan for $29.99 which is the plan I was on. I would like to be switched back to the unlimited data plan. Thank you for your help!

VERIZON REP: I'm so sorry to hear that. Full retail wowzers! I can for look into your account and see what I can do to help you today. would that be okay?
VERIZON REP: Pulling up that order as we speak.
VERIZON REP: How do you like the phone?

ME: It is so light! I love it!

VERIZON REP: Jealous! my roommate woke up at 445am this morning and waited in line, did you have to do that?

ME: Wow. No, I just stayed up late to order from apple.com.

VERIZON REP: Smart idea!
VERIZON REP: I do know customers how set alarms to wake up at 3am to place the order.
VERIZON REP: with my luck I would accidentally ordered the iphone 4s instead of the 5 hehehe

VERIZON REP: I have some news!

ME: Great!

VERIZON REP: So I know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone... and (insert drum roll) ... I got your 29.99 unlimited data back!!!!!

ME: Yay! You are awesome! Thank you! I have to say, I've never had such a great customer service experience.

VERIZON REP: so much suspense hehehe

ME: You must be swamped today.

VERIZON REP: It's been pretty busy but nothing I can't handle lol
VERIZON REP: I'm like superman but for phones lol
VERIZON REP: saving one phone at a time.

Piggus

The difference between this phone and the iPhone 4 in terms of overall speed is insane... It takes HDR photos just as fast as my 4 can take regular photos. O_O

LiK

Everyone who paid full retail (like me) in order to keep Unlimited Data on Verizon, you need to check your My Verizon and make sure they didn't switch plans on you. They downgraded me to a 2GB plan, even though I should have been grandfathered into the unlimited, and it even appeared as unlimited plan when ordering from Apple.

I was prepared for the worst when I opened up a live chat with Verizon, but they fixed it right away. And the rep was so full of humor too, on what I can only imagine is a very stressful day for them.

I got the best rep ever!

lol, sounds like you guys could be friends. very cool rep.

For all the people with bad UPS stories, here's a great one and they earned my respect.

Earlier today, I posted that my wife missed the delivery and they left a note saying they'd deliver tomorrow (and online showed Monday). Well, that didn't sit well with me, so I called UPS and asked them to hold my package at the distribution center (only ~5 miles from our house) and they said they'd call me after 4pm to let me know when I could pick it up. They actually called me 3 times to tell me the driver wasn't there yet. I told them "But this is my new iPhone!!!"

So, here's where the story actually gets good.

I get a call at 5:45pm telling me that the driver is at a particular intersection near my house! Unfortunately, I'm at work 25 miles away and in a conference call... I get another call 10 minutes later saying he's at a particular development and to go now! So, I end my conference call and drive like a bat out of hell, knowing there's no way he'll be there when I get there. I tried to call to get an update, but the number they called from only makes outbound calls. Anyway, I get into the development and the son of a bitch is just sitting there. I flag him down, he's incredibly nice and has my phone in his hands and 30 seconds later, I'm heading home.

I simply cannot believe that they'd go so far as to give me updates on the driver's location multiple times and that he'd just hang around when I take wayyy to long to get there. He said "Apple pays us ALOT for this". (Which he then restated to say that they're one of their largest national customers).

Anyway, since I have to head out tomorrow morning to visit family, I was faced with the prospect of NO iPHONE 5 until Monday, but UPS made it happen for me at least.

Finally, damn this phone is tiny... It feels smaller than the iPhone 4 to me. No scuffs that I can see and now onto playing with the darn thing.

5amshift

Banned
Worst day of my life.

Got a UPS delivery at 8:30am but it was for the upstairs neighbor. So I asked CLEARLY if any other packages were on board and the driver said no. So I waited in my house in my living room so I was sure to hear the doorbell ring for 10 fucking hours until the SAME DRIVER came back and said yeah, there was one for me. I was like oh awesome very sarcastically.

My phone is here and safe, went into Boston tonight and tried the LTE and it is DAMN fast. So hyped.

blitz64

1. I was about to go with apple.com order but apple charges a $30 upgrade fee.
Not sure if verizonwireless.com will charge me the upgrade fee later on in my bill.

2. At 3am EST, apple.com wasn't working. so i order at verizonwireless.com and went to sleep.

I was able to keep unlimited data, I wasn't due for an upgrade anyways.

Tabris

Worst day of my life.

Got a UPS delivery at 8:30am but it was for the upstairs neighbor. So I asked CLEARLY if any other packages were on board and the driver said no. So I waited in my house in my living room so I was sure to hear the doorbell ring for 10 fucking hours until the SAME DRIVER came back and said yeah, there was one for me. I was like oh awesome very sarcastically.

My phone is here and safe, went into Boston tonight and tried the LTE and it is DAMN fast. So hyped.

That's a good life.

1. I was about to go with apple.com order but apple charges a $30 upgrade fee.
Not sure if verizonwireless.com will charge me the upgrade fee later on in my bill.

2. At 3am EST, apple.com wasn't working. so i order at verizonwireless.com and went to sleep.

I was able to keep unlimited data, I wasn't due for an upgrade anyways.

They will waive the fee on the primary line, but charge you on any secondary or tertiary lines.

Sean

Banned

I got the best rep ever!

That's amazing customer service.

Love the "I'm like superman but for phones, saving one phone at a time" line.

jts

...hate me...

I got the best rep ever!
He had me on "full retail wowzers". Hah! Great guy.

LaneDS

I think I'm going to return my 5 for a 4S tomorrow. None of the features, including the screen size, are really exciting and I hate how careful I feel like I'd have to be with the black one.

Also, the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone drives me batty. Turn by turn worked pretty well, at least, and Siri was fun to mess with, but I'd get both of those with a 4S without worrying about scuffing the thing.

andycapps

I just chatted with a rep too on their site. She said the activation would take 3-4 hours.

I'm still pissed I was on hold for over an hour though. Oh well.

Mine took about 10 minutes on the chat line and then maybe 2 minutes after that. Loving it so far.

I think I'm going to return my 5 for a 4S tomorrow. None of the features, including the screen size, are really exciting and I hate how careful I feel like I'd have to be with the black one.

Also, the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone drives me batty. Turn by turn worked pretty well, at least, and Siri was fun to mess with, but I'd get both of those with a 4S without worrying about scuffing the thing.

Sorry for being out of the loop; what makes the 5 more "scuff-prone" han 4S?

jts

...hate me...
The diamond cut edges, the aluminum is painted black and apparently comes off easily

Not really an issue with the white phone because there isn't a coat of paint
Painted is not the best word, but the white should also have a color treatment just like MacBooks and iPads. It's just much closer to the raw material color.

raven777

wait I heard from somewhere that verizon iphone comes unlocked. Is it true?

Also, is there a way to buy from verizon with no 2 year contract, paying full price?

nib95

Banned
Not a very good ad imo, sort of makes Apple look stupid. So much common sense it only took them multiple generations of releases to figure it out and the entire competitive market beating them to it..

Anyone know how to fix this?

iB2s4.jpg

Been trying to verify my card for hours. Happens when trying to make an App Store purchase from the new phone but after entering my security code.
Anyone figure this out yet or have this problem?

I'm also having an issue bringing over all of my cover art... It's fine in iTunes and even shows up in the little thumbnail in list view of the music app. However, in cover flow it's the missing artwork image. Any ideas?

Not a very good ad imo, sort of makes Apple look stupid. So much common sense it only took them multiple generations of releases to figure it out and the entire competitive market beating them to it..
The entire competitive market is making phones with screen sizes that can't be reached with your thumb as demonstrated in that ad. But yeah, it's a stupid way of explaining the choice of screen size.

Been using it all night. Took a while to download my albums. So far it's been really good. I actually was able to download all of my apps. The one thing that I did not like was that most of my apps are still in the shorter iPhone 4S format so the screen is not as large. Hell I don't know if the 4s could do this but I'm actually typing this post via the voice feature on this iPhone five this is actually really fucking cool.

Mr.Fresh

Is there away to calibrate the screen? everything was working fine. then outta the blue the phone starts going crazy or wont respond.

FINALLY got the 5 in my hands, it's updating right now, and damn this thing is light! It's almost surreal how light it is. And yeah... count me as a member of Team Scuffgate, scuffed right out of the box actually :/

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm sorry, I really know nothing about this stuff. Will iPhone 5 be sold out for a while? I think I may be upgrading to a smartphone soon, and is this the kind of situation where I'll have backorder and get it a month later? What if I want to buy one say mid-October?

Top Bottom