• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Vyer

So after managing to pick one up while out of town, I've spent the day with it and tested. Still pretty crazy how much faster it is in all aspects compared to the 4, and the lightness of it is actually kind of hard to adjust to. I had a couple of light panic moments where I thought I left it somewhere because I couldn't feel it in my pocket. Screen is great, and I've managed to be in a few LTE areas and of course that's great too.

I'm out in the Texas Hill Country right now and ran through a few things with maps. It actually had no problems directing me between a few of these smaller towns out here. It did mistakenly mark a small restaurant in the wrong spot, though since it was linked through Yelp I was able to get to the right place. I only used turn by turn once, no problems that time.

I went with white, though black looked great too. Just thought I'd mix it up a bit.

Future

Maybe it's because I came from the 3GS, but this phone feels amazing. Combination of retina, screen real estate, Siri and voice dictation, iCloud restore is makin it all worthwhile. Maps suck but it's a small blemish compared to the rest of the good stuff. Almost feel like getting AppleCare Since this phone feels so nice and fragile.

Lte is no joke either. Feels like wifi

IllumiNate

Any fellow canadians on Bell/Telus/Rogers with the iphone 5 in an area that does not have LTE? supposedly Bell is saying that it shows 3G on my phone cause iphone only shows either LTE or 3G? even though I live in an area with 4G

hyp

well, i'm very happy with my 5. kudos to the engineering genius behind this bad boy, the speed blows my mind.

Necrovex

Maybe it's because I came from the 3GS, but this phone feels amazing. Combination of retina, screen real estate, Siri and voice dictation, iCloud restore is makin it all worthwhile. Maps suck but it's a small blemish compared to the rest of the good stuff. Almost feel like getting AppleCare Since this phone feels so nice and fragile.

Lte is no joke either. Feels like wifi

I thought about getting Apple Care Plus, but after I thought about it, it doesn't seem worth it. $100 (before taxes) for the extra year, and then a $50 (before tax) deductible when you get a new iPhone 5.

I'm still waiting for Sprint to get its shit over to Tampa. I heard it'll be soon though. I cannot wait to experience this LTE.

Whooter

I'm sorry, I really know nothing about this stuff. Will iPhone 5 be sold out for a while? I think I may be upgrading to a smartphone soon, and is this the kind of situation where I'll have backorder and get it a month later? What if I want to buy one say mid-October?

I would guess, unless there's some kind of production halt/recall due to "scuffgate," that by Mid-October you'll be able to walk in just about anywhere and walk out with one.

But that's just my guess.

andycapps

For any new people to Sprint, be sure to download Sprint TV from the App Store. It's free and you get access to espn, Disney channel, some abc news channel, etc. You can pay for more channels but there's a decent amount of free ones, with the big one being ESPN Mobile.

nib95

Banned
The entire competitive market is making phones with screen sizes that can't be reached with your thumb as demonstrated in that ad. But yeah, it's a stupid way of explaining the choice of screen size.

I dunno, I can do exactly what they did in the ad on a number of phones with bigger screens and I have fairly small hands...

hyp

another thing i noticed. transferring data (ie. music) to the phone using the new cable is amazingly fast. love the new connector.

NYR

another thing i noticed. transferring data (ie. music) to the phone using the new cable is amazingly fast. love the new connector.

Um....stop drinking the Apple cool aid.

It's a USB 2.0 cable, it's not any faster than the old cable at transferring data, it's in your head.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I would guess, unless there's some kind of production halt/recall due to "scuffgate," that by Mid-October you'll be able to walk in just about anywhere and walk out with one.

But that's just my guess.

Mkay, thanks. I still don't know if I'm going to get it or just go with 4S, but it would be nice to know I could get one.

mcfrank

Can someone else try Plants VS Zombies on the iPhone 5? For me it just crashes after the PopCap logo. Is anyone able to get into the game? My wife is hooked on this game and if she cant play it she will quickly hate her new phone.

blahness

so I checked out the AT&T app to see if it still recognized my unlimited data plan and found this:

zxlVn.png

10TB/month!

mr2xxx

Banned
Can someone else try Plants VS Zombies on the iPhone 5? For me it just crashes after the PopCap logo. Is anyone able to get into the game? My wife is hooked on this game and if she cant play it she will quickly hate her new phone.

I have the same issue

hyp

It's a USB 2.0 cable, it's not any faster than the old cable at transferring data, it's in your head.

it's not in my head, it transfers a lot faster than my iphone 4 which i was copying music over just yesterday. if it's not the connector, it's definitely the phone.

and get off the insulting vibe, wtf.

Jin

Endadget review said this:

"In fact, the implementation that comes with the iPhone 5 is based on USB 2.0, meaning that theoretical maximum data transfer rates are no faster than what came before. In practice, though, we were surprised to actually find a tangible difference between the two phones.

To test this we lined up an iPhone 4S next to an iPhone 5 and ran both through a number of syncs with large files. Pulling 5.5GB of data from iTunes to the iPhone 4S took five minutes and six seconds on average. Syncing those same files to the iPhone 5 took three minutes and 57 seconds on average. So, nearly 20 percent faster, but we're not sure how much of this is due to the new connector and how much can be attributed to faster internals in the phone itself."

Terrell

I remember hearing reports a long time ago that if you used iCloud and resold your phone, your iMessages would still be sent to the old phone even after a full erase.

So far, I turned off all my iCloud services, deleted the iCloud account from the old phone and removed the SIM card from the old phone prior to erasing it. Is there anything else I should do to prevent this issue?

I ask because I'm giving this one to my mom, and.... yeah, my mom doesn't need to read my text messages, thanks.

hyp

Endadget review said this:

"In fact, the implementation that comes with the iPhone 5 is based on USB 2.0, meaning that theoretical maximum data transfer rates are no faster than what came before. In practice, though, we were surprised to actually find a tangible difference between the two phones.

To test this we lined up an iPhone 4S next to an iPhone 5 and ran both through a number of syncs with large files. Pulling 5.5GB of data from iTunes to the iPhone 4S took five minutes and six seconds on average. Syncing those same files to the iPhone 5 took three minutes and 57 seconds on average. So, nearly 20 percent faster, but we're not sure how much of this is due to the new connector and how much can be attributed to faster internals in the phone itself."

thanks for the clarification, obviously iphone users are delusional. smfh

Aesthet1c

Is there any way to disable the microphone button on the keyboard? I hate it and I keep pushing it accidentally when I'm trying to type special characters.

The entire competitive market is making phones with screen sizes that can't be reached with your thumb as demonstrated in that ad. But yeah, it's a stupid way of explaining the choice of screen size.

What's kinda stupid is they clearly show that he can't reach the upper right corner of the phone with his thumb still.

Juice

Just got my iPhone 5 (AT&T) and it won't activate.

Tried these:

1. Called 18003310500, followed prompts all the way through. At the very end "an error occurred, plus we're closed. Kthx!~"

2. Tried https://www.wireless.att.com/activations and at the end I got:

AT&T said:
ACT036: We are unable to process your transaction at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. You may contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-331-0500 or dial 611 from your wireless phone.

iTunes sees my phone but doesn't prompt me to activate it.

Any ideas or am I just screwed until AT&T's servers come back?

suaveric

Mine came out of the box with a scuff. Nothing super terrible, it's on the band around the edge. But I'd like to get a flawless item right out of the box. I bought from AT&T, can I get it replaced at an Apple store or do I have to do it through ma bell?

mcfrank

Looks like a new version recently hit the app store that fixes this.

Whogie

Just picked mine up from a UPS office. 3 other people there receiving similar sized boxes.

Colors are noticeably different than the 4S. Greens seem to stand out more, and blues are more purplish.

I'm having a much easier time playing Secret of Mana, so the touch screen may be more responsive.

Verizon's activation servers must be hammered today. I haven't been able to activate yet, though it's been about an hour. The same thing happened trying to activate my mom's phone earlier in the day, but it did eventually go through.

TheExodu5

Banned
Any fellow canadians on Bell/Telus/Rogers with the iphone 5 in an area that does not have LTE? supposedly Bell is saying that it shows 3G on my phone cause iphone only shows either LTE or 3G? even though I live in an area with 4G

Friend on Fido today said he had to wait for an update to his network profile or something like that. He got LTE after a few hours.

kr2t0s

I originally paid for my iPhone and account then my work took over paying my phone bill as I was traveling out of the country a lot.

Can I walk into an apple store and buy an off contract AT&T phone? I would need a new SIM card right?

Or do I have to go beg my work to buy me a new phone?

artist

Banned
I was looking at the length of Apple's previous refresh/update cycles;

capturecnsad.png

And the biggest period (467 days) was between the 4 and 4S.

Assuming June 1 for the next WWDC, that gives us a period of 261 days. That would be the second shortest cycle after iPhone 1 -> iPhone 3G.

If Apple decides to hold a special event for the refresh in say September/October, that would be 353-383 days .. that sounds about the average.

So Fall 2013 is a reasonable expectation for the 5S?

edit: If they go for a special event in Jan 2014, that would be about the same period as the 4 -> 4S. Doubt this will happen though since holiday quarter = fat quarter and best to have the biggest cash cow ready to milk that.

Top Bottom