• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

LaneDS

So uh, after restoring my iPhone 5 from my iCloud backup, whenever I try to update anything on the App Store I get a prompt for my password (I see my e-mail address listed) and then am prompted for passwords for two other completely different and totally unknown (to me) e-mail addresses. Tested this on my my iPhone 4 (AT&T, the new one is Verizon) and I don't have the problem.

Anyone ever seen that before? I've checked every setting I can think of, and my iTunes account, and see no trace of the two strange e-mails (one is @gmail.com and one is @vt.edu... totally random).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: reply to artist. iPhones are fall now until they change it. Doubt new phones will ever go back to WWDC.

I didn't preorder and didn't camp.
I strolled into the local Best Buy mobile store after work and asked for the iPhone 5 and they happily retrieved one for me. :)

LaneDS

This phone is very bright, I set it to half but I turned it Down a bit.

Yeah, I thought the iPhone 4's screen was great, but side by side with the 5 there is no comparison... 5 is very vibrant.

Still deciding if I should take a Verizon 4S, or try for a white 5 tomorrow. I imagine going to the store will be somewhat of a nightmare, but I've got too many issues to be okay with how much I spent on the black 5.

Clipse

I didn't preorder and didn't camp.
I strolled into the local Best Buy mobile store after work and asked for the iPhone 5 and they happily retrieved one for me. :)
Same here. Walked into a Verizon store around 10:30. No lines and (luckily for me) nothing but 64GB models left.

Juice

Am I the only one failing to activate on AT&T right now? hardly any tweets, google hits, or forum discussions about AT&T's activations still being down :-/

It was an extremely pleasant experience as well.
The setup was super painless and paperwork was no hassle at all. The BB employee filled it out anyway. I just had to sign a screen and I was done. I was also glad he didn't try and push any accessories on to me.
The number I got for the phone isn't the easiest to remember, but other than that really happy.
They only had white models, but that didn't bother me.
I chose to go with Verizon over ATT. I'm not a fan of ATT at all.

People online told me that without camping or preordering, I may be looking at a two month wait. I never thought I'd get it on release day with just a casual afternoon stop into the mall.

LiK

i wish Verizon simply made it easy to upgrade since they're acknowledging the workaround to keep UDP anyway

elsk

Banned
ib0lDeMQw4IIWA.jpeg

mmmmm

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Um....stop drinking the Apple cool aid.

It's a USB 2.0 cable, it's not any faster than the old cable at transferring data, it's in your head.

It's still about 20% faster. I'll try to find the source. I think I read it on the Verge.

Mr.Fresh

Ugh I swear I have the worst luck. Everything goes perfect today. Then outta the blue screen messes up . Take it to Walmart and they tell me the cell phone center just closed. Tomorrow when I go they will be sold out. I just know it.

Bgamer90

Banned
I dunno, I can do exactly what they did in the ad on a number of phones with bigger screens and I have fairly small hands...

Easily? Anything with a decent amount above 4.5" in screen size is a bit harder for me. Usually have to stretch my thumb out a little bit more if I'm holding the device with one hand.

My hands are average sized.

OK for some reason I am getting no cellular data. I'm on Verizon. Turned off Wifi to see what kind of 4G speeds I get, but there's nothing... Not even 3G! Any ideas?

mcfrank

408452_10151155172479798_930645749_n.jpg

Not a bad haul today. 32GB black for my wife, 64GB white for me. I got the black at first but did not like it as much as the white after thinking about it for a bit. So I went to the Glendale Galleria around 7PM and they had 1 white 64GB left.

Terrell

I've actually been looking at that thread already. I NEED MOAR!!

Those threads are terrible anyways, the image is permanently cropped, so every time there's a resolution change, you're screwed.

I started to find the original larger image using TinEye so that I can re-crop them in iPhoto to my heart's content.

ZOMG this thing (white iPhone 5) is gorgeous. The pics (well, at least most of them) do not do this phone justice.

It's very light, and yet doesn't feel plasticky. Everything about it feels great.

Oh and it's fast. So so SO FAST.

bumpkin

ZOMG this thing (white iPhone 5) is gorgeous. The pics (well, at least most of them) do not do this phone justice.

It's very light, and yet doesn't feel plasticky. Everything about it feels great.

Oh and it's fast. So so SO FAST.
I don't know what phone you upgraded from, but I went from a 3GS to a 5... It's freakin' glorious! :D

CyReN

Liking the iPhone 5 after 1 day (switched from Evo with Android). 2 things that annoy me: Cant set ring one to none without the side button & no way to hide Newsstand.

mrkgoo

408452_10151155172479798_930645749_n.jpg

Not a bad haul today. 32GB black for my wife, 64GB white for me. I got the black at first but did not like it as much as the white after thinking about it for a bit. So I went to the Glendale Galleria around 7PM and they had 1 white 64GB left.

I think it's cool that the attention to detail extends to the colour of the packaging in the box.

Also, I don't see why it's a big surprise that the anodizing scuffs up. The iPod nano fats that I've been privvy to were black showed scuffing as well.

Sigh, so this is kind of maddening... My second post about this in the topic, but figured some visual aids would help. I have a meticulously organized iTunes library with album art, tags, etc. When I brought my music over to my iPhone 5, I noticed a handful of albums missing art:

m84l9.jpg

Figured I'd delete the music and re-sync. No change, still the same missing art too. Here's the strange thing... the artwork is there (note the thumbnail):

Z6Zlb.jpg

If I play a song from the album, it shows up fine:

fZuVD.jpg

And when I return to cover flow it's there too:

Tyb9m.jpg

Until I move...:

qqkX0.jpg

Ideas?

snack

Sigh, so this is kind of maddening... My second post about this in the topic, but figured some visual aids would help. I have a meticulously organized iTunes library with album art, tags, etc. When I brought my music over to my iPhone 5, I noticed a handful of albums missing art:

m84l9.jpg

Figured I'd delete the music and re-sync. No change, still the same missing art too. Here's the strange thing... the artwork is there (note the thumbnail):

Z6Zlb.jpg

If I play a song from the album, it shows up fine:

fZuVD.jpg

And when I return to cover flow it's there too:

Tyb9m.jpg

Until I move...:

qqkX0.jpg

Ideas?
I had the same problems on my iPhone 4. A resync fixed it for me.

Husker86

Already figured out why the Apple philosophy annoys me. I signed up for iTunes Match to give it a shot and decided to download one of my playlists. Well, I needed to leave a WiFi area and am now on a 4GB plan but there was no way to force stop all of the playlist syncing. I even turned off iTunes match (after selecting "do not use cellular data" in the settings with no success). It didn't work. It kept downloading even after restarts and I ended up blowing through 2GB of data in a short time. On Android, when Google Music was downloading, it was shown in the notifications where I could click and cancel all downloads (instead of one by one).

Apple likes to hide things from the user for simplicity, but it is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Can anyone point out a step I'm missing?

matt360

I'm having the same issue with the album art disappearing in cover flow, but being there in thumbnail form. I don't care so much, but if there's a way to fix it I'd love to know.

Also, my kindle app won't download my purchases and my YouTube app only gives error messages. Any ideas?

UPS My choice on their website could not be any more confusing...is it possible to just call UPS and release my iPhone from having to be signed for?

Already figured out why the Apple philosophy annoys me. I signed up for iTunes Match to give it a shot and decided to download one of my playlists. Well, I needed to leave a WiFi area and am now on a 4GB plan but there was no way to force stop all of the playlist syncing. I even turned off iTunes match (after selecting "do not use cellular data" in the settings with no success). It didn't work. It kept downloading even after restarts and I ended up blowing through 2GB of data in a short time. On Android, when Google Music was downloading, it was shown in the notifications where I could click and cancel all downloads (instead of one by one).

Apple likes to hide things from the user for simplicity, but it is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Can anyone point out a step I'm missing?

Settings > Music > Use Mobile Data
Turn that off

After a single day, and all of my friends that are Android defenders are already making noise. Can't tell you how many times I heard them say the new iPhone sucks because it is only dual core instead of quad core. I tried to explain to them how core counting isn't the only measuring stick, and that the iPhone 5 actually is beating or meeting the newest Android phones in a lot of benchmarks. Ofcourse, this was pointless. I'm glad Apple did not simply go about the route of slapping on a couple extra cores of the A5 processor.

If you have iTunes set to re-encode music when putting it on your iPhone, that'll make you lose the cover art.. Make sure it just copies your music straight over.

Kibbles

Incase Snap, assuming they make one for the 5.

Doesn't ship until early October, which is a bummer. Scuff marks will be all over by then! There's also the slider version, not sure which is better.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl69050

Speaking of Scuffs, can I exchange for a new iPhone at a local Apple Store if the one I get in the mail from another place ends up having scuffs? Or is that just for people who purchase it at the Apple store?

Man, I REALLY love this iPhone. I didn't think they could top the iPhone 4 but they totally did.

Before using it, I wasn't too big on the new screen. I mean, great, it's half an inch bigger, ok. I was expecting something innovative to use that extra space but all we got was more icons on the home screen.

But after using it for half the day? This screen size is fucking perfect. Everything about it is great. The extra space while texting. Looking at huge pictures without having to scroll. The colors.

I took the SIM out of my iPhone 4 and I'm just using it as a gaming device, keeping my 5 light on apps. But goddamn, using the 4 after using the 5 is crazy. It's so heavy and... dumpy. I never thought I'd say that but here I am saying it. Congrats to the engineers at Apple, they did an incredible job.

SeanR1221

Ok so what should my fiancé do with he 4 now that she has a 5? We dropped it at one point and the screen is cracked in the upper corner. How much should she ask for a cracked 4 32gb? Or do we seek out a screen fix then sell it?

Almost 800 people have given feedback on Macrumours as to the physical state of their new iPhone, and 50% of them reported they had some scuffs or scratches. A theme in that discussion is how people who want to exchange these defected phones had to go through several boxes in the Apple retail store to find one that wasn't defected. This suggests the problem may be very significant.

It will be interesting to see the feedback from later buyers if their phones are also defects. I wonder if this is a design flaw or merely a manufacturing one that is limited to the first batch

Fjordson

Yeah, I'm waiting a week or two to see how it shakes out. I'm hoping it's something up with these early phones, but something tells me it's simply in the way the phone was made...really surprising to me that Apple missed that if this is a permanent issue.

Almost 800 people have given feedback on Macrumours as to the physical state of their new iPhone, and 50% of them reported they had some scuffs or scratches. A theme in that discussion is how people who want to exchange these defected phones had to go through several boxes in the Apple retail store to find one that wasn't defected. This suggests the problem may be very significant.

It will be interesting to see the feedback from later buyers if their phones are also defects. I wonder if this is a design flaw or merely a manufacturing one that is limited to the first batch

It's anodized metal, what did people expect? It scratches. It's not a design flaw.

Top Bottom