• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
iTunes remains to be a steaming pile of shit. Wireless syncing never works... Ever. Does CopyTransManager or anything better work with the iPhone 5?

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's anodized metal, what did people expect? It scratches. It's not a design flaw.

When the paint is chipping off this easily, something went wrong. It's absolutely a flaw.

I expect something got screwed up during the treatment process of the materials or something, maybe the diamond-cut edges are the culprit, who knows.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You mean wireless music syncing?

Yes.

The data speeds are very impressive. I'm in Washington DC and get these speeds, which vary greatly:

B3ABF1AE-0554-4B87-AC43-74BAE4DDF9D3-1703-0000009A90087F59_zps39097a11.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Did iOS6 AppStore remove the ability to search through the purchased app list? I can't seem to access that. I'm also getting a lot of 'cannot connect' errors and being stuck in the the wrong national stores.

Has anyone tested out the bluetooth MAP (message access profile yet)? I've been looking forward to this feature since the leak after the first beta but none of the smartwatches have shipped yet (Metawatch just got a delay last week and won't be available in September). None of the developers at WIMM, Pebble and Metawatch are responding to queries about the feature. Getting worried :/

Yep here it is.

More "snarky" in comparison to previous iPhone ads IMO. They are basically saying that what they are doing is "common sense" while the competitors are being stupid.

good god.

yeah, that's that. Say what you want about Apple, but their advertising agency has clearly jumped the shark now that Jobs isn't there anymore to tell them to go fuck themselves when they present an ad like that.

iTunes remains to be a steaming pile of shit. Wireless syncing never works... Ever. Does CopyTransManager or anything better work with the iPhone 5?

This has to be related to your computer or your network, because I have never once had wireless syncing not work.

D-Link router from a few years ago, and an iMac from 4 years ago here.

Steve Jobs? Is that you? Are you communicating to us from beyond the grave? Steve? Are you saying it is the users fault just like the antennae problems?
I don't even plan on buying an iphone5 to tell you the truth. It's just how anodized metal is. It was a dumb decision to choose that kind of material/finish for their new phone yes, but it's not a design nor a quality control flaw.

Blackhead

Redarse
New iPhone 5 commerical is up, talking about screen size being common sense
I wonder if apple is using the ad firm because all 4 of the new commercials are cringe worthy

o_0. i thought that was a fake ad.

The "cheese" ad is very well done, much more in the line of simple feature advertising genius (but of course they point out the feature is also available on the 4S).

The others are garbage. I can't believe they are advertising those headphones. Nokia should heavily market a counter-ad with their nfc+bluetooth sets and maybe wireless headsets will finally go mainstream.

rhino4evr

Almost 800 people have given feedback on Macrumours as to the physical state of their new iPhone, and 50% of them reported they had some scuffs or scratches. A theme in that discussion is how people who want to exchange these defected phones had to go through several boxes in the Apple retail store to find one that wasn't defected. This suggests the problem may be very significant.

It will be interesting to see the feedback from later buyers if their phones are also defects. I wonder if this is a design flaw or merely a manufacturing one that is limited to the first batch

Really? Because the only thing this proves to me is that some people will never be happy.

No scratches here, but if there was one, I sure as hell wouldn't request the store to open multiple boxes until I deemed the phone "perfect".

To me, it shows how obnoxious and self-entitled some people are.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Really? Because the only thing this proves to me is that some people will never be happy.

No scratches here, but if there was one, I sure as hell wouldn't request the store to open multiple boxes until I deemed the phone "perfect".

Dropping a grand on a phone and expecting it to not be damaged? Entitlement.

Oxn

agree with you.

How old are you? must be over 25

o_0. i thought that was a fake ad.

The "cheese" ad is very well done, much more in the line of simple feature advertising genius (but of course they point out the feature is also available on the 4S).

The others are garbage. I can't believe they are advertising those headphones. Nokia should heavily market a counter-ad with their nfc+bluetooth sets and maybe wireless headsets will finally go mainstream.

you're right the "cheeeeeese" ad is kind of clever in showing off the panorama mode but will get very annoying very fast, the others are worse then the fan made adverts

and I usually like white backdrop Apple ads

nib95

Banned
Almost 800 people have given feedback on Macrumours as to the physical state of their new iPhone, and 50% of them reported they had some scuffs or scratches. A theme in that discussion is how people who want to exchange these defected phones had to go through several boxes in the Apple retail store to find one that wasn't defected. This suggests the problem may be very significant.

It will be interesting to see the feedback from later buyers if their phones are also defects. I wonder if this is a design flaw or merely a manufacturing one that is limited to the first batch

Sounds like a humungous blunder if you ask me. Wonder how they'll fix it. Strange that with the 4 and 5 now there have been some major issues. Clearly the R&D department are not that competent.

You're the worst sort of consumer. It's because of people like you that manufacturers think they can get away with subpar quality despite charging premium prices. At the sort of profit margins and prices Apple are charging, it should absolutely be flawless, at least physically (software can be updated).

To be honest, I don't expect scratches on goods I buy even if they cost £20 let alone £600. But that's just me.

LeleSocho

Banned
it cannot be fixed... it's aluminium, it scratches way way way more easily than scratch resistant glass in fact the first thing i thought was that was beautiful but way too much fragile to maintain that beauty

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't even plan on buying an iphone5 to tell you the truth. It's just how anodized metal is. It was a dumb decision to choose that kind of material/finish for their new phone yes, but it's not a design nor a quality control flaw.
Dumb decision in the design = design flaw.

It shouldn't scuff this easily though as my experience with other anodized metal parts has been.

Ugh. I ordered mine at noon on preorder day. Still hasn't shipped, with no word from Verizon. They haven't even charged my card yet. My brother just rolled into an Apple store last night and picked one up, no preorder needed.

Guess I've learned my lesson.

nib95

Banned
it cannot be fixed... it's aluminium, it scratches way way way more easily than scratch resistant glass in fact the first thing i thought was that was beautiful but way too much fragile to maintain that beauty

Well, I've had similar issues with watches before, and the only solution was using ceramic instead of aluminium or a high quality black PVD coating. Obviously ceramic is going to be a bit too pricey, but I've had higher quality black PVD coated products before that did not scratch so easily.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

If the people on there had any common sense (I know, MacRumors), they would grin and bear it for now (colour in with permanent marker if it bothers you) and take it in to the Apple Store under warranty in a few - ideally 11 - months by which time there will be a set procedure in place for this issue, as well as plentiful supply.

To be honest, I don't expect scratches on goods I buy even if they cost £20 let alone £600. But that's just me.
*looks at avatar*

That explains a lot.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

Normally I'd agree, but Apple opened themselves up to this type of scrutiny by how they market and advertise the phone as a premium product built to exacting specification and form. Besides, it's not like their industrial designers haven't shown a preference for form over function. The chrome backs on the original iPods scuffed when you looked at them; the hard edges on the MBP/Air can make extended use uncomfortable; nearly all Apple mice; the iPhone 4 had both antenna-gate and was wrapped in fucking glass.

giga

The huge supply of 4S sellers on ebay are driving down prices. You can get a used 4S for $350 and new for $450ish. Pretty sweet if you're a buyer.

kehs

Banned
If the people on there had any common sense (I know, MacRumors), they would grin and bear it for now (colour in with permanent marker if it bothers you) and take it in to the Apple Store under warranty in a few - ideally 11 - months by which time there will be a set procedure in place for this issue, as well as plentiful supply.

saaaaaaaaaaaaay whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've been meaning to ask you, how excited are you to dump the surround for this phone (if you haven't already)
Just did recently.
Holy shit, I never should have left.
It's just wonderful to have a reliable phone again. The last straw was when I turned it off for court and then turned it back on a couple hours later and it reset the phone as new, losing everything for a second time.

Here I just restored from the cloud backup of my iPad, it updated my settings, and downloaded all the correct versions of my apps with data intact.

There a couple nice features I'll miss from WP7 but they're far outweighed.

nib95

Banned
*looks at avatar*

That explains a lot.

What, that I have standards and don't let fanboyism get in the way of that?

Having said that, I'd still buy an iPhone 5, I'd just swap it over later when the problem had been fixed. I certainly wouldn't want a scratched one out of the box though, just on principle.

Blackhead

Redarse

*looks at avatar*

That explains a lot.

What, that I have standards and don't let fanboyism get in the way of that?

Having said that, I'd still buy an iPhone 5, I'd just swap it over later when the problem had been fixed. I certainly wouldn't want a scratched one out of the box though, just on principle.
LOL if you really believe Apple will let people swap out their phones for this issue once they are past the 14 day return period.

NekoFever

I like how it's self-entitled now to expect a premium device that starts at $649 out of contract to arrive in perfect condition. Scratching it yourself is one thing, but that's the least you should expect.

nib95

Banned
yeah, there isn't going to be any swapping going on with scuffs

Then I wouldn't buy one tbh (depending on how bad the scuffs could get). Not till they sorted the issue or at least used a better method of coating like the aforementioned quality PVD methods.

Not like you NEED the phone right away. I'm sure I could live with a lesser alternative in the mean time, or just buy a white one.

Pretty embarrassing that £600 gets you a 50/50 potentially pre scratched phone though lol. I mean, there are <$100 watches out there that have better coating methods applied...

Phoenix

This has to be related to your computer or your network, because I have never once had wireless syncing not work.

D-Link router from a few years ago, and an iMac from 4 years ago here.

Agreed. It works just fine for me. Hell it syncs while the iPad is sitting in the car in the driveway for me.

SuperPac

Completely loving the 5. Not going to worry about scuffs. I'm sure the tiny, pinhole sized spot on mine will eventually be joined by more so it's not a big deal to me personally. I get why it might bother someone else though.

LeleSocho

Banned

How would you like to spend +20.000$ on a new car with bashes and scratches just out of the factory?
Good Lord seriously wth is wrong with you...

renitou

Ugh. I ordered mine at noon on preorder day. Still hasn't shipped, with no word from Verizon. They haven't even charged my card yet. My brother just rolled into an Apple store last night and picked one up, no preorder needed.

Guess I've learned my lesson.
If you're that bothered by not having a phone the moment it was released to the public, you've learned nothing. :p

Uh... I have a Elementcase Vapor comp stealth for my 4s - it's aluminium and anodized black and has edges like the iphone 5 - dropped it 3 times but the black paint never chipped - just went from dull black to shiny in some spots on the sharp edges.

I think they're just doing something wrong in the painting process for the finish to be that weak. At least, I hope.

AngryMoth

Accidentally burnt all of my credit last night by when I left the house and it kept downloading stuff over 3G. They've moved around some of the settings and I can't find the option to turn off 3G, only the one for cellular data, please tell me it's still there?

sikkinixx

Excited to get mine but I wish they had stuck with the glass back, despite the extra heft. Had a naked 4 since launch and no damage. Just don't drop your fucking phone, besides everyone puts phones in obnoxious cases anyway so it's not like they will appreciate the slimness.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I had the same problems on my iPhone 4. A resync fixed it for me.
I've tried this three times without any luck.
I'm having the same issue with the album art disappearing in cover flow, but being there in thumbnail form. I don't care so much, but if there's a way to fix it I'd love to know.

Also, my kindle app won't download my purchases and my YouTube app only gives error messages. Any ideas?
If I figure out the cover flow fix, I'll post it here! Not sure about the other two, no issues with those apps for me.
People use cover flow? Why???? I cannot find any single good use for it.
It's pretty?
If you have iTunes set to re-encode music when putting it on your iPhone, that'll make you lose the cover art.. Make sure it just copies your music straight over.
I don't have it do that. I rip my own CDs at super-high bitrates, iTunes doesn't get to much with the resultant file.

Going to try re-adding the artwork in iTunes for the "missing" albums and report back.

Top Bottom