• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

sangreal

my preorder was a few minutes too late on Verizon so it got bumped to 9/26 (even though it said 9/21 during the order process). That doesn't really bother me, but I do find it really annoying that they have them in stock at the store but I can't get my preorder

Accidentally burnt all of my credit last night by when I left the house and it kept downloading stuff over 3G. They've moved around some of the settings and I can't find the option to turn off 3G, only the one for cellular data, please tell me it's still there?

Surely the mobile data option is what you're actually looking for? Turn that off and no downloading unless you have wi-fi access.

Sh0k

Went to a couple of Apple Stores here in Miami and they are all sold out of ATTs phones since yesterday, no re-stocking today. They both have only Verizon phones left.

This sucks!

MasLegio

Banned
Yep here it is.

More "snarky" in comparison to previous iPhone ads IMO. They are basically saying that what they are doing is "common sense" while the competitors are being stupid.

17107288.jpg

MasLegio

Banned
If the people on there had any common sense (I know, MacRumors), they would grin and bear it for now (colour in with permanent marker if it bothers you) and take it in to the Apple Store under warranty in a few - ideally 11 - months by which time there will be a set procedure in place for this issue, as well as plentiful supply.

*looks at avatar*

That explains a lot.

It seems Microsoft is not the only thing or one you would bend over for mr Lego man...

man some of today's consumers just love being treated like shit don't they?

rhino4evr

How would you like to spend +20.000$ on a new car with bashes and scratches just out of the factory?
Good Lord seriously wth is wrong with you...

In Most cases I've seen on these forums have been extremely minor. Not to mention the phone will most likely end up getting bumped or scratched due to its design, opening multiple boxes to try to find this "perfect" phone is a waste of time an resources.

I ACTUALLY had a problem with my phone. My phone was not recognizing the SIM card and was not working...but instead of crying about it on the Internet and screaming at a apple employee for a refund, I looked up how to fix it, and figured it out in 5 mins.

If I'm the "worst kind of consumer" then you're still the worst customer ever.

I hope you drop your phone in the toilet while whining on a message board about how awful your new phone is because it has a small, completely unnoticeable scuff on it.

End rant

Isn't there a way of adding some kind of clearcoat protective layer during the manufacturing process? It would make the metal look and feel less like metal, but if it's done properly, it would still look way better than an aftermarket solution like Invisible Shield...

Tobor

I really need to find at least one additional lightning cable. I almost forgot to pack it in my bag this morning before leaving this morning.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Friend of mine just got to a radio shack and asked if they had a 16gb white iPhone 5 for sale. They did. The store bought her iPhone 4 16gb for about 125 and she ended up paying a litt over 200 for the phone, apple care and a case...

Pretty cool pick up.

I'm waiting to see the new windows phone before i do anything ... Thinking I may just skip this gen

Zutroy

Accidentally burnt all of my credit last night by when I left the house and it kept downloading stuff over 3G. They've moved around some of the settings and I can't find the option to turn off 3G, only the one for cellular data, please tell me it's still there?
3G = Cellular data

magicstop

Well, so far so good with my white 64gb. I was first in the door at AT&T on release day, and they didn't have any 64gb in black :( But, the white model he pulled out for me was flawless, no scuffing at all. I had them install a Zagg on front and back, and the phone now rests in the Speck Candyshell case (black). It looks pretty good, doesn't add much weight or bulk to the phone, and will do until I can come up with something else. After seeing the scratch video, I won't be running this iPhone naked. I'd go with a small to medium level of protection, but the TakTik case looks so killer that I might wind up with it when it is available.

X-Frame

With the Black iPhone 5 .. it's much harder to notice that an app isn't updated with the iPhone 5's resolution yet and letterboxed.

How noticeable is it for you White iPhone 5 owners?

Izick

How can a size still be perfect if it's changed? Just fucking say it was too small, Apple! I hate when companies can't own up to that shit.

Anyway, I think I'm going to either get this, the 920, or a Note II, preferably through Verizon. I can't decide which way to go yet though.

Kaladin

So my LTE is averaging 7MB/sec download and 5MB/sec upload. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm in a smaller and newer Verizon LTE market in south GA so maybe the speed just isn't up to what some people are getting in larger cities like Boston or D.C. I don't know. I know it is much faster than what we got for 3G, but still not what others are getting for LTE.

magicstop

So my LTE is averaging 7MB/sec download and 5MB/sec upload. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm in a smaller and newer Verizon LTE market in south GA so maybe the speed just isn't up to what some people are getting in larger cities like Boston or D.C. I don't know. I know it is much faster than what we got for 3G, but still not what others are getting for LTE.

Er, are you getting measurement speeds mixed up? 7mb/s is incredibly fast. What you've seen listed here is mbps, which is different. IIRC, 7MB/S = 70mbps. My cable internet plan is only 34mbps or 3.4MB/S. LTE is moving at about 28 or 30 mbps for me where I live.

Izick

I mean are they going to say this and the next 3 or 4 iPhone's screens are dogshit when they lengthen it to 4.5 inches?

Kaladin

Er, are you getting measurement speeds mixed up? 7mb/s is incredibly fast. What you've seen listed here is mbps, which is different. IIRC, 7MB/S = 70mbps. My cable internet plan is only 34mbps or 3.4MB/S. LTE is moving at about 28 or 30 mbps for me where I live.

It is MBPS, I guess I was confusing the measurements there......so 7MBPS down and 5 MBPS up.

KtSlime

http://youtu.be/9-FmipwLsHc

"Why would headphones be round?"

They made round headphones for 10-11 years. They are just saying that they were completely wrong for a decade. It could be stated in a better way.

Sometimes it is easy to be wrong if that's how the whole rest of the world has done it for years and years. You are likely just looking way too deeply at this, commercials are mostly transient, people will have them in mind for a minute and then be enthralled by something else.

LeleSocho

Banned
In Most cases I've seen on these forums have been extremely minor. Not to mention the phone will most likely end up getting bumped or scratched due to its design, opening multiple boxes to try to find this "perfect" phone is a waste of time an resources.

I ACTUALLY had a problem with my phone. My phone was not recognizing the SIM card and was not working...but instead of crying about it on the Internet and screaming at a apple employee for a refund, I looked up how to fix it, and figured it out in 5 mins.

If I'm the "worst kind of consumer" then you're still the worst customer ever.

I hope you drop your phone in the toilet while whining on a message board about how awful your new phone is because it has a small, completely unnoticeable scuff on it.

End rant

If I am the cause of the bump or the scratch i don't certainly go at the apple store because i want a refund or similar, i simply rage with myself and accept it but at least for the first hour/day/week i want my new thing to be fucking perfect especially from a company like apple, it's not like i can afford to spend +500$ for a phone everytime i want so the few times it happens it has to be perfect.
also you can fix a sim card problem but you can't fix a scratch.

You are really one of the reason of why my 600€ smartphone was sold with defective displays without the company gave a shit about it and hoping for people to not noticing it.

SeanR1221

Just did recently.
Holy shit, I never should have left.
It's just wonderful to have a reliable phone again. The last straw was when I turned it off for court and then turned it back on a couple hours later and it reset the phone as new, losing everything for a second time.

Here I just restored from the cloud backup of my iPad, it updated my settings, and downloaded all the correct versions of my apps with data intact.

There a couple nice features I'll miss from WP7 but they're far outweighed.

Glad you're back. I ate the restocking fee and dumped that phone for a 4 a week after getting it.

---

So my fiances 5 isn't connecting to gmail. It says enter password over and over. I had her create a new gmail and that takes. She tried lots of tips from apple but nothing worked. Anyone here have that problem??

Izick

So is white the way to go then? I like the black one, but I don't want to worry constantly about scratching it.

Sometimes it is easy to be wrong if that's how the whole rest of the world has done it for years and years. You are likely just looking way too deeply at this, commercials are mostly transient, people will have them in mind for a minute and then be enthralled by something else.

Y8Q6K.jpg

sikkinixx

Mine is still "Processing Items Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks Delivers 03 Oct, 2012 - 09 Oct, 2012"

Yours is preparing to ship with a 9th delivery estimate?

Yeah says

Preparing to Ship

Qty: 1
iPhone 5 16GB White & Silver (GSM)
Available: 2 weeks
Delivers 9 Oct via Standard Shipping

I ordered the morning preorders opened and its always said October 9th.

Brera

Banned
Popped down to the shops (uk) and was told only pre-orders will get their phones for the 1st 3 shipments and general release will be in November.

Next shipment is 9th/10th October...

Top Bottom