• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

How can a size still be perfect if it's changed?
Apple never said the old size was perfect (unless Jobs dropped some hyperbole at a keynote). People on the Internet said it in dumb arguments. They're not saying anything about there being a perfect size anyway. They are saying it is good that their phone fits thumbs for one-handed use.

Just fucking say it was too small, Apple! I hate when companies can't own up to that shit.
They're still selling their old phones. Why would they do that? Why do you need a company to tell you that their old thing isn't as good as their new thing?

Earbuds are ok. Still miles behind my trifoli's. Much better than the old ones though.
The screen should have been an inch wider also.
The speed of the phone is stupid fast.

Sean

Banned
So my LTE is averaging 7MB/sec download and 5MB/sec upload. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm in a smaller and newer Verizon LTE market in south GA so maybe the speed just isn't up to what some people are getting in larger cities like Boston or D.C. I don't know. I know it is much faster than what we got for 3G, but still not what others are getting for LTE.

Although I'm on AT&T it seems to vary wildly in my area.

- I get weak one bar LTE in my apartment (5.80 Mbps down, 0.25 Mbps up).
- Walking around the corner (maybe 100-200 feet away?) it drops down to just 4G.
- Driving a mile up the street I got a very strong LTE signal with ~22 Mbps down and 13 up.

That's quite a huge range (from non-existent to great) in just a one mile radius.

This thing takes wonderful panoramic pictures. Here are some I took yesterday. This is Maui, fyi. Pics are too large so I didn't quote them. They are best viewed at their full resolution. The thumbs make the res look crappy, so I linked the originals below.

Beach
Palms
Palms 2
Sunset

Also, Touch Arcade has a long list of games on sale for iPhone 5 release (I can't vouch for non-US prices though).

Action games

Dead Space, $6.99 → 99¢ [Review] - [Forum]
Horn, $6.99 → $2.99 [Review] - [TA Plays] - [Forum]
Gangstar Rio: City of Saints, $6.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation, $6.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Mass Effect Infiltrator, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Burnout Crash!, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Sky Gamblers Air Supremacy, $4.99 → $2.99 - [Review] - [Forum]
Epoch, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Battlefield: Bad Company 2, $1.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Devil May Cry 4 Refrain, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Dead Rising Mobile, $1.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies, $6.99 → $1.99 - [Review] - [Forum]
Call of Duty: Zombies, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Racing

Real Racing, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review]
Real Racing 2, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Need For Speed Undercover, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review]
Shift 2 Unleashed, $1.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Cro-Mag Rally, $3.99 → $1.99
Sports

Infinite Surf, 99¢ → FREE - [TA Plays] - [Forum]
Madden NFL 12, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Fight Night Champion, $4.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Beast Boxing 3D, $1.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Puzzle / Board Game

Osmos, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Blast-A-Way $4.99 → $1.99 - [Review] - [TA Plays] - [Forum]
Risk, $2.99 → 99¢
Scrabble, $1.99 → 99¢
W.E.L.D.E.R., $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Little Things Forever, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Bag It! HD, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
The Sims

The Sims 3, $6.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
The Sims Medieval, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
The Sims 3 World Adventures, $1.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
The Sims 3 Ambitions, $4.99 → $1.99 - [Forum]
Arcade

Gorilla Gondola, 99¢ → FREE - [Review] - [Forum]
Don’t Run With A Plasma Sword, $1.99 → FREE - [Review] - [Forum]
Final Fight, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Breakeroids $1.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Victory March, 99¢ → FREE - [Forum]
Velocispider, $2.99 → FREE - [Review] - [Forum]
Pickpawcket, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Social Puzzle

Words With Friends, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Hanging With Friends, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Matching With Friends, $2.99 → 99¢ - [TA Plays] - [Forum]
Gems With Friends $1.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Miscellaneous

The 7th Guest, $4.99 → $2.99 - [Review] - [Forum]
Wrestling Manager, $9.99 → FREE - [Forum]
Legion of the Damned, $4.99 → $2.99 - [Review] - [Forum]
100 Rogues, $2.99 → 99¢ - [Review] - [Forum]
Yesterday, $6.99 → $2.99 - [Review] - [Forum]
Trenches II, $1.99 → 99¢ - [Forum]
Kingdom Rush, 99¢ → FREE - [Review] - [Forum]

jts

...hate me...
Oh man, a handful of ~20MB pictures directly posted. Not cool dude. Take that down, use thumbs.

Tobor

Did you get your phone already tobe?

I'm curious to see what you think about the size.

It passes the one handed use test for me. Keeping the width the same, making it thinner, and lowering the screen a bit all contribute. Any fear I had about use ability are gone and I already appreciate the extra pixels.

Overall, it's a great piece of work. Thumbs up.

AEREC

Ugh...my AT&T order still says pending and back ordered (ordered 64gb version from store on 9/15). I was hoping since I got the less common 64gb version...I would get it soon after launch but I guess not. Sucks being phone-less.

SleazyC

Anyone here get a scuffed phone? I was out today doing some shopping and noticed a scuff right above the silent switch.

Was wondering if anyone has been able to get a new phone because of a scuff.

sangreal

Ugh...my AT&T order still says pending and back ordered (ordered 64gb version from store on 9/15). I was hoping since I got the less common 64gb version...I would get it soon after launch but I guess not. Sucks being phone-less.
you can probably find one in a store and cancel the pre-order if you're less lazy than me

So my fiances 5 isn't connecting to gmail. It says enter password over and over. I had her create a new gmail and that takes. She tried lots of tips from apple but nothing worked. Anyone here have that problem??

2 Step verification issue maybe? Did you try creating an application specific password for the iPhone in your google account settings?

I'm having the same issue with the album art disappearing in cover flow, but being there in thumbnail form. I don't care so much, but if there's a way to fix it I'd love to know.
Going to try re-adding the artwork in iTunes for the "missing" albums and report back.
This worked. Manual, cumbersome, stupid, but it's resolved.

I think I fixed my credit card issue too, though I haven't found an app I want to purchase to try. Stopped getting a timeout, though. What I did was enter an INCORRECT security code, it gave me a different error, then I entered the right one. Voila, no timeout.

Yeah says

Preparing to Ship

Qty: 1
iPhone 5 16GB White & Silver (GSM)
Available: 2 weeks
Delivers 9 Oct via Standard Shipping

I ordered the morning preorders opened and its always said October 9th.

Weird it'd say preparing but still be that far off. Makes me worry mine by even longer than projected

Bigfoot

Question for all the Jailbreak/unlock experts...

I got my iPhone 5 but still haven't activated it yet. I'm just wondering if I need to jailbreak my old 3GS first before it is "deactivated" or can I do this after?

Also, I'm unfortunately on iOS 5.1 instead of 5.1.1. It looks like I need 5.1.1 to jailbreak but iTunes only lets me upgrade to iOS 6.0. Is there any tools that I can use to upgrade to 5.1.1 or am I out of luck?

Edit: Also I just tried pulling the sim on my 3GS. The non-phone part (Wifi, apps) still work so that's good. I guess I could just keep running it but would I run in to problems if I ever tried to upgrade the iOS?

Radec

Posted yet?

20120922-t7qej1a5mqjmdxakxnh5pt1qt5.jpg

bionic77

How long does the phone stay preparing for shipment and then how long does it take to get to the East Coast? I think it is like 4-5 days shipping right?

kehs

Banned
This doesn't make sense, specs wise the iPhone 5 has a much better GPU than the S3...

The "specs" is referring to things like 1.5ghz > 1.3ghz. Quadcore gpu > tricore gpu.

It passes the one handed use test for me. Keeping the width the same, making it thinner, and lowering the screen a bit all contribute. Any fear I had about use ability are gone and I already appreciate the extra pixels.

Overall, it's a great piece of work. Thumbs up.

Next stop, stylus acceptance.

=P

Kaladin

Bought some games.....

Need For Speed Underground
The Sims 3
Wrestlefest Premium
Wrestling Manager (it was free, so I said why not?)

What would you guys recommend in the action and RPG genres of iOS?

Restoring my phone with iPhone 4 backup right now. Didn't have it last night and basically was bare bones while at my friends. Overall very happy so far.

I'm really getting sick of this shit.

Why would that bother you?

The black looks fucking sleek as hell, but I don't want to worry about it scratching easily.

Are people under the impression the white version won't show scratches? Because my wife got a white one and I can see a couple minor scuffs on the back.

Yes, they may not be quite as obvious on the white, but that phone is still going to be every bit as prone to being scratched.

Why would that bother you?

Are people under the impression the white version won't show scratches? Because my wife got a white one and I can see a couple minor scuffs on the back.

Yes, they may not be quite as obvious on the white, but that phone is still going to be every bit as prone to being scratched.

The use of that ad as fanboy bait.

tmdorsey

How long does the phone stay preparing for shipment and then how long does it take to get to the East Coast? I think it is like 4-5 days shipping right?

It will probably stay at that status till the night before actual delivery. Your best bet is to go UPS or FedEx websites (not sure how you find out which one has your phone) and do the track by reference trick. Quick search in this thread should get you the details you need.

Top Bottom